main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AoTC Box Office #'s 4 Weekend

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by SwiCaSalak, May 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwiCaSalak

SwiCaSalak Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002
    'Clones' racks up $116 Million! at U.S. box office
    Sunday May 19 1:16 PM ET

"Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones," the fifth movie in filmmaker George Lucas' long-running sci-fi adventure franchise, grossed an estimated $116.3 million in its first four days of release, its distributor Twentieth Century Fox said Sunday.

After bowing Thursday with $30.1 million from 3,161 theaters across North America, the film added $86.2 million for the Friday-to-Sunday period.

The three-day weekend tally ranks at No. 3 among all-time new releases, behind "Spider-Man," which opened with $114.84 million two weeks ago, and "Harry Potter (news - web sites) and the Sorcerer's Stone" with $90.29 million last November.

The last "Star Wars" movie to hit theaters, "Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace," a Wednesday opener in May 1999, earned $64.81 million in its first weekend. It ended up with $431.09 million -- No. 4 on the all-time list in North America.

After two weeks atop the box office, "Spider-Man" slipped to No. 2 with $46.0 million -- a record for a film in its third weekend, said Jeff Blake, president of worldwide marketing and distribution at Sony Pictures Entertainment. With $286.5 million banked to date, Blake said the superhero adventure is on track to pass $330 million by the end of next weekend, which is the four-day Memorial Day holiday in the United States.

Straight from yahoo! movies

SwiCaSalak,
    Steamboat Springs RMFF Newbie :)

2. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    Welcome aboard, SCS!!!! Thanks fer that post.....yea, I think the numbers are gonna get altered real quick when word gets out that this one is nuthin' like EPI.......

3. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I just love these people and their estimating. Didn't they get Spiderman as way under and Harry Potter way over?

Its Sunday morn, you know its not going to be a close estimate. The critics and press are turning my stomach.

4. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    SC, that's why they're called critics, and not statisticians...LOLOLOL!!!!

5. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    The opening weekend gross isn't going to be something to go by anyway b/c Thurs. won't count as part of the weekend total...

6. Miccu_Resea

Miccu_Resea Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    maybe George should open on Friday for Episode III and break all the box office records... even beat Spiderman...

That sucks though...

7. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    OK, so AoTC only did 80-something MILLION! A source from Lucasfilms said they knew they wern't going to beat Spidey, cause AoTC opened up in 450 less movie theaters (cause of sound quality).

So with 450 (or so, I can't remember, someone help.) less theaters with that many less showings x $8, we could have smoked Spidey.

8. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Okay, for all of you bean-counters out there, here are some FYIs re: AOTC #'s.

Number 1 all-time WEEKDAY gross of $30,141,417; topping the previous all-time WEEKDAY earner of $28,542,349 by U-Guessed-It: The Phantom Menace.

Currently holds 3 of the Top-10 single day grosses, with TPM still holding a fourth one.

A per-theatre gross of $10,202, which is second only to Spider Man's $12,067, and still above Harry Potter's best of $9,127. It should also be noted that AOTC earned these numbers WHILE Spidey was still in the theatres, and with a smaller number of total theatres showing the film.

I for one, intend to do my part to make George a multi-billionaire.

9. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    I really enjoyed the getting together in costumes, and surprising everyone.....we should do that again sometime in the near future....and put more mulla in GL's coffers.....on this one, he sure earned it! If I had a choice, I'd go back to HR 24.....the theatre was a cooler set-up, albeit the sound was less.

10. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    I think we should invade the Renassaisance Festival en masse as Jedi and Sith. That should feed yur need for wearing costumes.

11. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    I had already thought we were going to do that!?

12. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    I was just supplying an answer to your request for another costumed event.

We still need to pick a day to go to Renfair, I was hoping we could go on the same day the Mountain Garrison goes.

If you want to pick a day and time to see the movie again costumed, go for it, i'm sure at least a few members will join you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.