main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC Chapter 11: Dex's Diner DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tatooine_Fireman

Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    Nice scene. I don't know who said it, but I agree that Ewan makes the scene work with his acting. He also did a great job on the Kamino scenes, and there was nothing there.

I don't understand why some ppl are complaining about the diner looking too "earthy". I thought that that's made the OT work: it all had some earth-like feel too it. To me, that's the same with Dex's Diner. I just love the entire set: it's so detailed.

2. I_Shot_First

I_Shot_First Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 11, 2004
    I thought the scene worked great as a transition scene. I really liked how Obi was relaxed w/ an old friend of his. I must agree that Dex's final words really make you wonder about the Kaminoians, and to lesser extent Dex himself.

As far as people disagreeing w/ the diner scene, is the cafeteria scene later in the movie bad as it is too realistic. What about cantina scene in anh, is that too, too our-worldy?

3. a2dmusic

a2dmusic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    As far as people disagreeing w/ the diner scene, is the cafeteria scene later in the movie bad as it is too realistic. What about cantina scene in anh, is that too, too our-worldy?

What pop cultural phenomena are represented by the Cantina scene or cafeteria scene?

4. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I loved this scene, because you could easily imagine Obi Wan "unwinding" after a busy day at the Jedi Temple by hanging out and chatting up the waitresses and reminiscing with Dex. It's a good, laid back scene that really shows a Jedi Knight in his "off-hours" environment.

As to the mission of IDing the dart, Dex is great as the surly know-it-all pilot/pirate/sea captain/etc that is so common in 30s-40s flicks. He's been around, seen a lot and has "street smarts" - not book smarts.

The only thing I didn't like was the silly drink name "Jawa Juice." But, this scene makes a nice counterpoint to the seamy nightclub full of sexy women and deathsticks, which is a realm of the night.

When Dex says that "pocketbook" line - think of wealth, power - only someone like that could have ordered those clones. Who is so wealthy and so powerful? (cue foreshadowing)

A great scene.

5. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I loved this scene, because you could easily imagine Obi Wan "unwinding" after a busy day at the Jedi Temple by hanging out and chatting up the waitresses

chatting up waitresses? that sounds so unObi-Wan it;s funny!

that's something Anakin would do!

6. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I too thought the scene really brought home that this is where Obi-Wan hangs out a lot.
    Well maybe. The waitress droid didn't seem to recognize him, but she could've been new :p
    I love how the scene starts with the waitress droid :p

7. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). AOTC Chapter 12: Jedi Archives DISCUSSION will be made available 12:10 AM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

8. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    A great scene with perfect CGI. From what I've heard they originally had a different lighting/ weather condition outside but it was changed later on. I believe the From Puppets to Pixels DVD documentairy still shows the original shot near the end of it.
    I really don't mind it looking to World based as almost everything is possible in SW. I was really surprised by the naughty dialogue.

9. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    What I dont get is why the visual dictionary has alot on Hermione when she is in the movie for like 1 second

10. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Why has this thread been ressurrected from the dark depths of the forum?

11. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    Rech's been acting weird--he bumped up the Ch.8 discussion thread even though his only words were "i didn't like this scene".

12. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    It was a fun scene not the best but fun. I enjoyed it for what it was. Taking us from point A to point B.

13. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    This is an interesting scene and wanted to discuss it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.