main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC Chapter 15: Return to Naboo DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Oct 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    It's great seeing Naboo again - it's quite simply the most beautiful planet ever seen in a SW movie - the ideal place to go on holiday. It's nice that we don't just visit the same places this time, that we actually see more areas of the planet and the city - a nice touch. That central plaza is stunning, with the trees and the fountains and the blue sky ... it's beautiful. It's great to see Gungans in Theed - a very nice touch - and I love Artoo's method of climing stairs. Judging by his wobbling down the Mos Eisley stairs in ANH, he's much more adept at climbing than descending. And I love the running little thing in all the SW movies, of Artoo being left way behind by everyone, then suddenly, in the next scene, being right behind them again. :D During the edit, Anakin and Padme must have stopped and waited for him to catch them up.

It's good to see the political parallels between Palpatine and Padme, although it would have been better had it been established earlier in the movie that Palpatine had stayed longer than his term, or at least established in TPM that a Chancellor should only stay in office for, what, 8 years? Something like that. Padme's "I'm not sure I was old enough ... I'm not sure I was ready" is very telling about their characters - Padme is a pragmatist who places emphasis on experience and patience, whereas Anakin is the bold, impatient, naive youth who always rushes into things without thinking them through, who earlier in the movie said "I'm really ahead of (Obi-Wan) - I'm ready for the trials!" He's always ahead of himself. Also, it's nice that the information that Padme was re-elected and served two terms was dropped in here - it was something we would have assumed anyway, but it's a nice touch, emphasising her as a good and compassionate leader.

2. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    i agree about the beautiful naboo - actually i'm planning (always looking to the future, i am) a trip to lago de como the site of the lake retreat.
    and i also agree it would have been interesting to contrast padme acknowledging her time to leave queen status (term limits!) vs palps wanting to do 4 more years/ 12 more years/ 20 more years

3. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Actually her leaving the queen position is better for her, because she moves up the political ladder. Senator has more power than the Queen to some degree. Every path she's taken gives her more power

Refugee Relief Group
    Youth Legislator
    Princess of Theed
    Queen of Naboo
    Senator of Naboo

If the future had played out differently, she could have easily become Supreme Chancellor, not by her own will, but by the fact that people love her so much and would support her as a leader.

Like most Naboo, she thought she did her time. We was forced back into the political spotlight, but you can still be a parent and represent your planet at the same time.

Politicians do it now, but they're much more older with additional experience under their belt.

See this is the thing. Do Padme's rise to power and Palpatine's parallel each other excluding their motives. Did Palpatine have to do all that service too before reaching higher and higher positions. The only difference is that Padme uses hers for good and Palpatine uses his for evil.

4. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). AOTC Chapter 16: Audience with the Queen DISCUSSION will be made available 12:00 AM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

5. Tatooine_Fireman

Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    I like this chapter. It does some good explaining on the political system in the GFFA, and I like how GL is showing the contrasts between Padme and Palpatine.

I personally think the scene would've been even better if GL kept in more of the dialogue of the extended arrival at Naboo. I liked this scene so much because the way Anakin and Padme talk to each other is so sweet. They way they share their love for Naboo, how their conversation goes from politics to having childeren...it's all very good, and a bit foreshadowing.

BTW, has anyone noticed that AOTC Naboo palace doesn't look like the TPM Naboo palace? As the shuttle arrives, we see a huge square in front of the palace. As seen in the movie, that wasn't there in TPM; there was a long street in front of the palace.
    The square can't be on the back of the palace, because it's standing on a cliff, and it can't be the on the sides, because in TPM we've seen that there are all little streets around the palace. Does anyone know what is up with that? I still like the shot a lot however, but was just wondering. :D

6. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    The family scene should definitely have been left in the final cut of the movie. It gives Padme so much more character and depth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.