main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC Chapter 17: Kamino Arrival DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Nov 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Until the release of ROTS on 5/19/05, I would like to discuss AOTC chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: Attack of the Clones and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 17: Kamino Arrival
    DISCUSSION: November 7, 2004 - November 11, 2004
    DVD TIME INDEX: 40:55 - 42:10

Synopsis:
    Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter blasts out of hyperspace and approaches the rain planet of Kamino. The starfighter disengages from the hyperspace ring and makes it's way toward the planet and toward the stilted capital city of Tipoca. Obi-Wan's ship lands on a platform as it gets thrashed with rain. Obi-Wan leaves the ship, puts up his hood and heads toward a glass doorway to the entrance of the city. The pouring of rain and clapping of thunder is constant. Obi-Wan enters inside to be approached by Taun We, advisor to the Prime Minister. She tells him that they didn't think he wasn't coming after all these years. Obi-Wan's confused and caught off guard. Taun We leads Obi-Wan to Lama Su's office. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    Kamino is my favorite planet of the entire saga. The rain and thunder and architecture all make up the perfect science fiction environment. When I first saw glimpses back in 2000. I didn't know what to expect.

Obi-Wan has found his lost planet Kamino, automatically assuming that this planet which shares the same coordinates as thoses given by Dex to him are the same. I like how the ship detaches from the hyperspace ring: an incredible predecessor to the hyperdrive of the OT for smaller vehicles.

When Obi-Wan lands on the planet, everything is so realistic and so brooding that it darkens the film as we're transitioning back and forth between light and dark. The landing platform reminds me of Cloud City and Tipoca does to a degree.

Then we have Taun We, a wonderful CG character that with such a soft voice makes this mystery even more disturbing. How can these people who have no morals in cloning be so kind and pleasant. But as long as you have a large pocketbook, there' s nothing to worry. Good chapter and intro to Kamino. ...and yes Taun We is hot. (I couldn't resist)

2. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Kamino. One of the best planets in Star Wars. Plus it gives us the new mistery of Sifo Dyas.

3. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Great visual looking planet. Very dark and violent. The mood is set for Obi-Wan's mysterious discovery and then... the angelic Taun We comes into the picture. Then she confused Obi-Wan and the audience with her comments. Good chapter.

I still don't think Yarael Poof looks that much like a Kaminoan. At least not enough to take him out of the picture so that people aren't confused. :(

Now since this chapter is so short, I think it's the perfect time to talk about what was cut between this chapter and the last one. Padme's family.

Wonderful set of scenes that really opened up the character of Padme. It certainly would have complimented the Lars family sequence later. Actually, it mirrors TPM when Padme first entered Anakins home, met his mother and then they went to the bedroom. Well it's essentially the same joke again.

The visuals and color scheme were wonderful also.

4. nethanial

nethanial Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2000
    A very short chapter but an excellent one. Its absolutely beautiful to watch Obi Wan fly down to Kamino. Excellent graphics. A very nice introduction of Taun We as well.

5. Clone_General

Clone_General Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2004
    i really liked kamino all the rain and the cool city

6. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    the first time i saw aotc i was intrigued - from then on i became despondent because: 1. the subject matter and 2. we're heading down that slippery slope of the bad times. the music really helps set the mood here - guess it's been mentioned a few times that john williams is a genius - after entering the brooding, dark, yet not threatening environment, it's such a disorienting moment when obi wan meets taun we. and i think this was intentional on lucas' part: to cast an actor to portray this role who possesses such a soothing, buttery voice. even lama su appears to be cordial with an elder statesman-like quality. isn't it ironic to think of dex's comment of "depends on how big your pocket book is" when he was describing the kiminoans? the graphics, as mentioned by previous posters are superb but also ewan's interaction to nothingness and nobody - he's terrific.

7. rodman9866

rodman9866 Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2004
    Kamino is a great world. From the beginning of the scene this is how i saw it from "my point of view".

We see a dark mysterious place and out of no where a big flying stingray looking creature that looks scary is flying by and the kaminoian seems to be riding it like a fierce cowboy and not caring about wether he hurts it or not and that gives me the illusion that from first impressions the kaminoians are ruthless cowboys.

then we see obi-wan land and get rained on a lot and he hasnt even stepped foot in this mysterious place if its this bad out here imagine how bad it will be in there.

but then we step inside and its almost like heaven. we see taun we floating like an angel and speaking so gently like a dove. and the colors remind me of hevaen too white and blue. now im confused. how can such a nice place be in the middle of such a dark world? goes to show you that first impressions arent eveerything. and i second the motion that taun we is hot. just hearing her talk could make me melt in her hands....or whatever they are.

8. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    The flying "aiwas" are a recycled idea from Cloud City.

9. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Something about the way Ewan pulls back his hood with his mouth agape as he walks through the doors, really reminds me of Alec Guiness. Somehow, you really get the feel that it's warm and cozy inside Tipoca when the doors close. The special FX are great except for that establishing shot where Obi-Wan's ship approaches the city and the ocean is revealed for the first time. The water seems to look more real in the rest of the shots.

10. Ker-Soth

Ker-Soth Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    So, we have a dark and possibly very cold world. The storms are impressive. The city is more impressive. The kaminoans move almost like apparitions and of course we must not forget the eternal night touch and the mystery that is hounting our hero.I'm a goth, it can't get any better than this.

11. Hades2021

Hades2021 Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2003
    I LOVE the music playing as Obi lands. The same music is played two more times. It's great.

Was Taun We's only job to sit there and wait for a jedi to come back for 10 years? Sometimes I wonder...

12. Rylis

Rylis Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2004
    Kamino was definitely one of the best planets throughout the saga. It contained one of the central plot twists of the movie and reminded me a lot of Bespin with the architecture. I loved the whole scene. So many of those little bounty hunters getting turned into mindless zombies....classic.(Not Bashing)

13. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    It's like THX-1138

I like Kamino, even though Naboo is my fave planet. It gets caned in the Clone Wars, I almost feel sorry for the Kaminoans (and lama su is not hot)

Just some reference here, Kamino is Japanese for god. so the Kaminoans are godlike in the way they replicate human beings, much like Sauron in LOTR which is why the Illuvitar gave him the flick.

BTW, i my new house the doors to the lounge room look like they come from Kamino and my friends call a very rainy day a Kamino day

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    the continous lightning & rain really makes Kamino an uber mysterious place, especially since not that many people (besides Dex, Sifo Dyas, and Obi-Wan) now what the Kaminoians are up too. John Williams score is excellent here too, for it helps along with the imagery to make it known that something mysterious is going on.

15. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Yeah, they we're definately good with keeping up the feeling of the planet. An excellent scene.

16. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I love how this is the best part of the season on Kamino. I guess Kaminoans don't like the sun that much. If anyone's seen the ART OF AOTC and the one drawing that makes Kamino look like a structure in the North Atlantic. Doesn't it look incredible? (Sorry I don't have the book in front of me, but the picture's still amazing).

17. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I concur with many of the opinions here. Kamino is a brilliant visual and audio experience for a new Star Wars planet. Lucas once again has created an environment unique from anything else we see in the saga.

I liked how Ben Burtt didn't have lightning and thunder occur at the same moment. It enabled the environment to be grounded in some form of reality for the audience.

I also thought this was the first planet in the PT that was in many ways reminiscent of the OT. The light structures and sound of doors opening and closing are very close to what we see and hear in other OT environments.

18. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). AOTC Chapter 18: Meeting Lama Su DISCUSSION will be made available 12:00 AM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.