main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC Chapter 19: Stolen Kiss DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Until the release of ROTS on 5/19/05, I would like to discuss AOTC chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: Attack of the Clones and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 19: Stolen Kiss
    DISCUSSION: November 17, 2004 - November 21, 2004
    DVD TIME INDEX: 44:01 - 45:47

Synopsis:
    By a gondola, Anakin and Padme come to the Varykino, the Naberrie Lake Retreat in the Lake Country. They dock at the retreat. Anakin helps Padme out of the gondola. They walk to edge of the retreat deck. Padme tells Anakin that she used to come here for school retreat and how she loves the water. She says they used to lie on the sand and let the sun dry them and guess the names of the birds singing. Anakin tells her that he doesn't like sand. He says that Naboo is soft and smooth and starts to slowly put the moves on Padme. He starts to feel her back. They look into each other's eyes and share their first kiss. Padme breaks off and says she shouldn't have done that. Anakin apologizes and begins to have mixed emotions. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    The first actual chapter of the love story. The Lake Retreat is absolutely stunning. Lake Como seriously is one on-location environment I'm glad that they chose for this film. It is perfect for what's actually going on.

This is probably the most amount of skin, we've seen from Padme up to this point. Usually, she's decked out in these ceremonial robes where we can only see her face. She knew exactly what she was doing. Changing into a sexed up costume is going to make Anakin just want to fall into your arms. And for her to say she shouldn't have kissed him was contridictary. She could have stayed in her golden robes from the palace or her blue outfit from her parent's house, but that was her choice.

Now the backstory of school and previous visits was unnecessary, but helped relieve the tension for such a scene to begin the romance. I'm just glad they changed the lines around, because originally when she started talking about her Level Three class and her glass story, that would be torture beyond recovery. The whole sand conversation is okay. Anakin hates sand and he lived on Tatooine for six years, well not by his own will.

The back and forth between Kamino and Naboo actually works, but it's going to go so quickly that it is difficult keeping up at times. Nice chapter. Not very moving, but still romantic enough for Star Wars.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    a mixed chapter for me. the location is just jaw dropping beautiful, as well as Padme, and i rather liked the little back story about Padme's previous trips back when she was younger, for it jyst adds more depth to her character. what i didn't like he was Hayden's acting. the line about sand is so-so, but his delivery could have been alot better. the break in the music after Padme stops the kiss is classic (had my theater erupting in laughter), and i loved Hayden's expression, poor guy just wanted some more lovin'!

3. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    I love the way that John Williams' music leads into the scene. It suggests the brooding progression of the narrative. The backstory stuff is so-so, but what I really appreciate about the scene is that it acts as a kind of bookend to the scene in Padme's apartment, when Anakin's devestating look suggests that he wishes to 'possess' her. He wants her so desperately; he is almost more in love with the 'idea' of being in love with her. It's partly about greed, you see. Christensen does a good job of communicating these feelings in this scene and others.

4. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    the break in the music after Padme stops the kiss is classic

Actually the music was already dying down, before Padme stopped kissing. :-B

Anyways, to me it was a beautiful scene, serene and romantic and Anakin took advantage of it and Padme fell in ;). Padme allowing herself to kiss Anakin proved that she did infact have some inclination for him.

Fancy that the next scene, is a scene full of babies!!! :eek: :D

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Actually the music was already dying down, before Padme stopped kissing.

either way, it was a great moment on the soundtrack.
    ;)

6. Tatooine_Fireman

Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    I agree that Lake Como looks stunning. A beautiful place. I believe, don't know for sure, that the villa where they shot the lake retreat scenes, is the same as where dictator Muscolini (SP?) was shot.

The kiss itself. I don't have many problems with the dialogue here. Which guy has never said anything stupid to the girl he likes...I do think that the actual kiss is a bit forced. There was some more dialogue before the kiss which I think is pretty romantic and in the style GL wanted.

The music is awesome as well. The love theme is one of my favorite pieces of music in AOTC.

7. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I love this chapter

From the visuals to the sound to the acting, i have no problem with any of the lines - they add depth to these 'grown up' characters. I love how Anakin is slighty hesitant as he goes in for the kiss while Padme just lets him have his way for a second.

Sidenote: The hand he 'strokes' her with is CGI'd, originally - there was no hand (no pun related to anakins dismemberment intended)

8. Tatooine_Fireman

May 16, 2003
  9. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Hmm...I have a love/hate relationship with this scene. I love the setting. I love the music. I like the acting and obvious awkward tension between the characters - Anakin being overly forward and Padme being subconsciously attracted. (BTW, I don't think this was her more revealing dress. I think the worst offender was the from the deleted family scene.)

I'm just not sure about Padme's reaction to Anakin touching her. Padme has always seemed a bit "hands off" to me, and for Anakin to be so forward her and she so responsive...well, she's got some serious repressed feelings in there, IMO. A touch like that would've made *me* uncomfortable, and while she seems to hesitate at first, she doesn't avoid the kiss at all - and it's not like Anakin flipped her around and forced her to kiss him, either. I do like that Lucas and company had the presence of mind to digitally add Anakin touching her hand first...but...I still got "hmmm" about it.

Perhaps placing another scene before this would've made me open to it, but at this point, I can't see Padme as that accustomed to the familiarity of a rather intimate touch. You could say put it after the picnic scene, but I feel that would be misplaced as well since there's obvious tension and discomfort here that would be lost after the connection they made in the field. I dunno, I just feel she's a little too response at all. But maybe that's the whole conflict - Padme is responding positively emotionally and physically to Anakin's advances while mentally backing away. (Which is fine, because *somebody* needed to be rational in that relationship. Too bad that gets shot through by the end. :p)

10. dee_dee24m

dee_dee24m Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2003
    I think it's a good scene - i love the line "and it gets everywhere" - yes, they have that problem even in sci-fi universes!!

One thing that is bugging me is that I read that Ani's stroking hand was CGI (so Natalie wouldn't immediately 'react' to the stroking).... was the poster just kidding around hoping to pull in gullible idiots like me? I looked back at the scene and it doesn't look CGI, i'm sure that's his real hand....

(please put me out of my misery someone!)

11. Tatooine_Fireman

May 16, 2003
    The hand is CG, the creators say so in the audio commentary. When the scene was shot, Anakin wasn't touching Padme's hand before he touched her back. GL however felt that Anakin touching Padme's back felt too out of the blue, so they put in the CG hand. Good decision.

12. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Great location. Great music. Great costumes. Great tension. :p

It works well even with Padme talking about her past schooling.

13. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I loved the scenery but I think the diolauge was a little stale.

14. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    That's what love is like, you try to be romantic and you end up falling lfat on your face.

Love this scene, the music is one of the best pieces and i LOVE Padme's dress. It's fitting that the wedding is there at the end.

15. MILK-HANDS

MILK-HANDS Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    Padme was apparently a triathlete as well. That island she swam to (and back) is kilometers away. Most people would become exhausted and drown.

16. Luminara_Sai

Luminara_Sai Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2004
    -Padme was apparently a triathlete as well-

LOL! Exactly what I thought first time I saw it!

I think the scene was a nice break in Obi Wan's plot and I like multiple story lines, makes it way more interesting. The scene is stunning, everything about it visually is perfect; the setting, Padme's dress and the music enhances everything as well. However I never liked Anakin's dialogue about the sand. I suppose it makes sense but I don't think Hayden delivered it right. Despite that, the look that he gives Padme before he kisses her is perfect, it almost lures her in and there is a evil sort of edge to it. Overall, an effective scene that does what it is supposed to do; show the true emotions and dilemmas of both of the characters.

17. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    this and the wedding scene are why i will get to lago de como one of these days - just breathtakingly gorgeous. same adjectives apply to natalie and hayden and padme's dress and always with williams' music. as anakin is helping padme out of the boat - just feels very romeo and julietish. i know fanboys were muy uncomfortable with the dialogue and how awkward anakin delivered it and responded to padme but that's very much in the vein of a smitten 19-year old with an older woman. anakin's response about hating sand reminds us of his childhood and slave status on tatooine and the contrast with the water environment of naboo. interesting that even at this stage padme is taking ownerhship as the more responsible party for crossing the barrier - "I shouldn't have done that". anakin's withdrawal with confusement and even more awkwardness is perfect. these are people in a new situation and they both know it's teetering on losing control. but HOW EXCITING! anyone remember how you felt?

18. dee_dee24m

dee_dee24m Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2003
    The hand *is* CGI???? Holy hell!!!!

Thanks for settling that (i've never played my commentary track on the DVD)

19. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    I had no idea either. How do they do that? And why wouldnt they just shoot it that way? So is that even Haydens hand?

20. Night_Rider

Night_Rider Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2004
    I love the backstory of Padme being able to swim to that island. It establishes that Padme is an athlete and keeps herself in shape. Makes it more plusable that she can tough out the arena for so long without getting tired.

21. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I had no idea either. How do they do that? And why wouldnt they just shoot it that way? So is that even Haydens hand?

Originally when they shot the scene, Hayden was directed in such a way that he didn't touch her hand first, just her back. Later, when they looked over the reel, Lucas was intuitive enough to realize that such an familiar caress was inappropriate enough, much less without a touch preceeding it. So they digitally added Anakin touching Padme's hand so it would seem as though Anakin became more daring upon her lack of adverse response to his initial touch.

I love the backstory of Padme being able to swim to that island. It establishes that Padme is an athlete and keeps herself in shape. Makes it more plusable that she can tough out the arena for so long without getting tired.

*smacks forehead* I never thought about it like that. I completely missed that point since I assumed her roughin' it abilities came from personal training.

Though...since she was queen at 14, it does beg the question of just when she was able to do this. :)

22. Hades2021

Hades2021 Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2003
    I was expecting a huge bash-fest of this scene, so I'm pleasantly surprised. I was 15 when I saw this for the first time, so I just thought that was the way love was.

I'm impressed by the CG hand. Very convincing.

I love the setting. It is extremely beautiful as well as Padme.

John Williams delivers as always.

I really don't have a problem with any dialogue.

23. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    interesting that even at this stage padme is taking ownerhship as the more responsible party for crossing the barrier

I have analyzed it :D. You know the saying "it takes two". Well, Anakin makes his move first (tantamount with the caressing of Padme's back). Padme instead of moving away, turns to him and looks him in the eyes. Guess what? Now its two of them, involved in passion play [[face_batting].

Since, Padme allows it, she feels responsible. [face_whistling]

24. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    for those who still insist natalie is not a good actress i directly quote mike nichols, considered the best director in america who cast natalie not once, but twice, the latest being "closer" and this quote refers to that cast which is natalie, julia roberts, clive owen and jude law:
    ''I was interested in people who could ostensibly have anything they want,'' says Nichols. ''What were their choices? What happens? And because the four are remarkable actors and human beings first, and beautiful after that, I thought it became more interesting. Because they're not just beautiful. They're significant people.''

kudos for a #1 director who can recognize talent

25. Lando_Plenty

Lando_Plenty Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2002
    I love this scene. The "I hate sand" line was an instant SW classic for me. And Anakin's expression after he's rejected is priceless. :)
    --The CGI hand thing blows my mind

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.