AOTC Chapter 22: Jango's Apartment DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Dec 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: heels1785, Seagoat
  1. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Until the release of ROTS on 5/19/05, I would like to discuss AOTC chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: Attack of the Clones and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 22: Jango's Apartment
    DISCUSSION: December 2, 2004 - December 6, 2004
    DVD TIME INDEX: 50:19 - 52:58

Synopsis:
    A Kaminoan riding an Aiwha comes out the water and flies toward Tipoca City. Obi-Wan and Taun We stand outside the Fett apartment. The door opens and they are greeted by ten year old Boba Fett. Taun We asks if Jango is home and if they can speak with him. Boba say yes and they enter the apartment. From another part of the apartment, Jango enters and Taun We introduces Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan bows and complements Jango on his clones. Jango says that he's only making his way in the universe. Obi-Wan asks if he's ever been to Coruscant recently. Jango says that it's a possibility. Obi-Wan, who is eyeing a piece of armor in the other room, then asks if he knows Sifo-Dyas. Jango moves around and tells Boba to close the door. Jango answers no and says he was recruited by a man called Tyranus on one of the moons of Bodgen. They talk about the army. Obi-Wan thanks him for his time and he and Taun leave. Jango gives a few looks confusing Boba and tells him that they're leaving Kamino. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    A return to Kamino brings about Obi-Wan's appointment with Jango Fett. Like the last chapter, I love this one just as much. We get to meet Jango up close and personal and Boba Fett for the first time.

The style of the apartment and the hallway still remind me of THX-1138. Temeura and Ewan do such a great job in this chapter in this conversation. You don't know whether or not to believe Jango. They're some important elements adding to the mystery and I still can't figure out what's the truth and what's a lie, making it a well executed piece in this part of the story.

Everything about this chapter is great. I like how Obi-Wan keeps eyeing Jango's Mandalorian armor and Boba closes the door. The way that Jango moves around the room and gets Obi-Wan away from it is pretty good. I can tell that the set seemed confined just like the old OT sets. I like the design. The other designs showed the apartment as being more spacious and room to lounge.

Excellent chapter adding even more mystery to the saga. No action here, but enough dialogue to make future confrontations between Obi-Wan and Jango even more sweeter than before.
  2. dark-sidious Jedi Padawan

star 4
    When Jango asks Boba to close the door I don't like the way Obi-Wan completley ignored this. Other wise this scene is ok brings Dooku in to the story again
  3. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I always thought this chapter could use small improvements, but it turned out pretty well in total. The tension between Jango, Boba and Obi-Wan was perfect. I'm sure Boba could have done a little something more than look pissed off and Obi-Wan, but I guess the tension between Jango and Obi-Wan kind of stepped over that.

Jango handled Obi-Wan's watered-down interrogation very professionally, but then again it never was Jango's job to convince Obi-Wan that he didn't control the assissination on Padmé, or that he wasn't the one the killed Zam on Coruscant.
  4. Taivasvaeltaja Jedi Master

star 2
    There is tension in this scene; Jango looks like he´s all the time getting ready to attack Obi-Wan. Boba and Taun are just listening like they have no idea what´s going on.

"Moons of Bogden." Always good to hear about strange, new places in the galaxy far, far away.
  5. MILK-HANDS Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The best acting so far for Ewan in the PT is in this scene. The tension is so thick; these two men obviously know that they will come to blows in the near future, and everything is a pretense for the Kaminoans. And since we've found out that Boba was a clone of his father, we see what Boba would more or less look like under the helmet as an adult.

A great scene altogether.
  6. Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Great scene. I love the establishing shot of this scene, especially the music. The shots of the wild ocean already feels like some build up to the Obi-Wan vs Jango fight, but also adds the mystique and unique-ness (is that a word? :D ) of Kamino.
    The scene within Jango's apartment is fantastic. The tension between Obi-Wan and Jango is almost tangible.

I never had much with the entire character of Boba Fett, but I like him in this scene. It starts with the suspicious glance he shoots Obi-Wan upon his entrance. You can really see his dad influence here. It's the same with the rest of the scene. I also like how Boba is carefully watching his dad's behavior...he's really learning the bountyhunter moves from his dad. ;)
    As I said before, I never had much with Boba, but what I like about AOTC, is how it gives us a hint of where he came from, and why he became a bountyhunter.
    A bit of the mystery surrounding Boba has been lifted, but I don't think we'll see him in ROTS, so
    there is still enough mystery surrounding him to keep him interesting.
  7. Lando_Plenty Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Great performances all around... :)
    Their conversation is like a battle in itself, with Boba and Taun We on the sidelines. To me this scene is just as satisfying as the subsequent fight. There's just so much tension here.
    On a side note, Jango's apartment is so cool. I wish I lived there. :(
  8. lovelucas Jedi Master

star 4
    jango spoke to boba in their native language therefore obiwan couldn't have reacted to jango telling his son to close the door on the revealing armour. this is a terrific interchange between obiwan and jango - tension so thick = slice it time. "always a pleasure to meet a jedi" from jango and obiwan's bow just reeks with sarcasm. everyone was perfect in this scene, including the "set". i think daniel logan as boba was terrific also - suspicious always but he also displayed puzzlement initially- but no doubt about who his alliance was with. daniel did a lot with his facial expressions. by the way when boba first meets obiwan - daniel relayed that to capture the perfect facial response, ewan had told him to react as if obiwan had just passed gas! now that's method acting.
  9. MatthewZ Jedi Master

star 4
    Great tension......its already been said.

Also, I think Bodgen was in the "Droids" cartoon movie.
  10. The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I love the way there's the constant sound of muffled thunder and rain in the background, reflecting the tension inside the rpom [face_mischief]
  11. Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    It's a cool scene. I think I would have liked Obi-Wan's reply of, "Aren't we all?" to Jango's, "Simple man" statement to have remained in the film. Obi-Wan does give Jango some great looks with his, "Really?" and "Curious". It's funny because Jango's right up in Obi-Wan's face at that point. Morrison's pretty good there, too. I'm really thankful that the scene contained no Obi-Wan reshoots. Can you imagine Ewan sporting the wig and pasted-on beard while talking to Jango in that lighting, and that close up? There are already some cringe-worthy Obi-Wan reshoots, but that would've taken the cake. Although, something is amiss about the last shot of Obi-Wan walking out the door, looking back. It's the wig or maybe even CGI hair there, but at least it didn't happen in the middle of the scene.

It starts with the suspicious glance he shoots Obi-Wan upon his entrance. You can really see his dad influence here.

Well, Ewan told Daniel Logan to act like Obi-Wan farted with that look. That's what's going on there. Hey, if it works...
  12. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I would love to live on Kamino. Especially Jango's apartment, listening to the constant rain and thunder. When they originally were talking about Boba Fett's apartment in Episode II, I had no idea what to make of this. This was before I knew of Jango or Kamino. Somehow I imagined something like Padme's Apartment, but the paleness and confinement works much better.
  13. HL&S Magistrate Emeritus

star 7
    Boba Fett. From the South Pacific System. :p I didn't like Boba Fett at all. Jango was great though. The tension was really good. Of course the key word is "Tyranus" in this scene. In the original script, he was supposed to say Darth Tyranus but they shortened it to create more of a mystery. Understandable. The apartment isn't too personal. They've been there for ten years and they're not altered mindless clones. A skull would have been nice. At least enough to justify the heavy cargo later. :p

14. soitscometothis Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    My favourite non-action scene in the movie. I love everything about this scene, especially the fact that it has almost no re-shoots (as Obi-Wan wals out of the appartment you can tell it's Bad-Wig Kenobi, but it's in the distance).

I think someone said once that this was a very Bond-like scene, good-guy and bad-guy meeting and talking civilised but underneath...

I wish all of AOTC was up to this standard. Really first class.

15. GRAND_MOFF_KEV Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Gotta love the tension, builds up for the fight about to occur.
  16. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Great scene.

So much is not being said. Both of them know the other is playing their cards close to their chest, and looking for the slightest weakness to exploit.

I also love the parallel with the window. Just as each man is hiding his thoughts, so we see this huge storm crashing away yet greatly muffled.
  17. openmind Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I enjoy this scene like no other in AOTC.

Both Jango and Obi Wan have a mutual distrust for one another. Of course Obi Wan knows how to be cool, but at the same time Jango plays his card carefully.

Both are in an internal premises, where everything is in control and orderly so as to make sure they don?t create unpleasantness within that environment. Reminding (to me anyway) that the Kaminoans fairly friendly, yet ?depending on your manners?.

Upon the end of the conversation, Jango and Obi Wan know that something isn?t right, and have to ?report? back to who they are working for.

Naturally as the outside of the premises is raging, so promises the action very soon.

My favourite part of the meeting would be when Obi Wan subtletly moves his head (to the left side of Jango head) to the view of open door revealing a particular suit. Jango clearly recognizing Obi Wan's perceptiveness, talks in Huttees (possibly not to alarm Taun We) to summon Boba (to close the door),

When J. starts to move away, making it necessary for Obi Wan to direct his attention from the revealed suit and look at J, to continue the banter.

My favourite line here (ofcourse there are others) but what I find particularly funny under the circumstances : "Master who?" [face_laugh]

18. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I have this feeling that Jango was actually telling the truth. Dooku/Tyranus recruited him. The response concerning Sifo-Dyas if half and half. I think it's the truth and I think it's a lie.

If you want to debate Sifo-Dyas, don't release spoilers. Save that for 3SA. There's plenty over there.
  19. Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Good scene. Jango's appartment does look pretty small, though. And he's apparently pretty clean.
  20. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). AOTC Chapter 23: Forbidden Love DISCUSSION will be made available 12:30 AM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138
Moderators: heels1785, Seagoat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.