main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC Chapter 26: Obi-Wan vs. Jango DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Until the release of ROTS on 5/19/05, I would like to discuss AOTC chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: Attack of the Clones and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 26: Obi-Wan vs. Jango
    DISCUSSION: December 22, 2004 - December 26, 2004
    DVD TIME INDEX: 60:43 - 63:38

Synopsis:
    Jango Fett and his son Boba are preparing to depart Kamino immediately, when they are interrupted by Obi-Wan Kenobi, who has been requested to capture the bounty hunter. Boba notices the Jedi and tells his father who is now is armor. Boba gets on board the Slave I. The Jedi draws his lightsaber as Jango fires at him with a blaster. Obi-Wan deflects the shots. Jango using his jetpack flies up to the top of one of the towers and continues firing. Obi-Wan regains his balance. Boba now inside the Slave I, directs the ship in Obi-Wan's direction, firing shots at the Jedi. Obi-Wan falls as Jango shoots a few more times. Jango flies off the tower, but Obi-Wan dropkicks him in midair. They both fall down to the landing pad. The bounty hunter loses his blaster. The Jedi strikes a few more blows to Jango's head. Jango then headbutts Kenobi, who loses his lightsaber. Flying via his jetpack, Jango shoots a cable at Obi-Wan's arm and drags him around the landing pad. The Jedi gains his balance and pulls the cable around one of the towers. Jango falls and the jetpack detaches and explodes. Obi-Wan then kicks Jango the ledge, but is still holding onto the other end of the cable. They both go over the ledge. Jango stops, but Obi-Wan descends even lower, finally detaching himself and throwing himself onto a walkway. Jango continues to crawl up the side of the landing pad and makes it to his ship. Obi-Wan makes it back up, but the Slave I takes off. Obi-Wan throws a homing beacon on the hull. The Slave I blasts away as Obi-Wan remains on the platform. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    This is probably my favorite action sequence of the prequel trilogy so far. Obi-Wan vs. Jango Fett is something that really makes this movie stand out. It's not your typical fight with a Jedi and that's why it's so dang good.

Kamino is probably the best place to have a fight outside for this film. Now that we've established Jango as the rocket man on Coruscant, Obi-Wan now has to capture him. There was not one moment I disliked about the fist fight. I never thought Obi-Wan was capable of hand vs. hand combat as opposed to with lightsabers. It's also good to see Jango in action, since I saw Boba in ESB.

It's perfectly choreographed as a back and forth fight between these two. Now that they are fleshed out as enemies a fight had to be in order. We couldn't see them duke it out in the apartment. Obi-Wan's witty remarks like "Oh that's not good" is now classic and fits right into Alec Guinness' original rendition of Obi-Wan. I'm glad that we have this scene and that it is about ten notches up from the failing rescue of Han on the East Landing Platform.

Simply I love this scene and I hate to say it, but we're leaving Kamino. Not all tears are evil, because were going home to the planet that started it all, Tatooine. Very good chapter to wrap up the first hour of the movie.

2. Barbatis_Rahl

Barbatis_Rahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2004
    eeh, it was a good fight secene, i really like the fact that boba tried to shoot obi-wan. It made it more realistic than to the classic one on one you see in other movies.

3. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I loved this one as well. Interesting thing is that Obi Wan tries to get Jango, not letting the blaster shots deflect back at his opponent. While Jango tries everything to get rid of Obi Wan.

4. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Interesting thing is that Obi Wan tries to get Jango, not letting the blaster shots deflect back at his opponent. While Jango tries everything to get rid of Obi Wan.

Exactly

I've see way too many times that people try discrediting Obi Wan because "he couldn't even take on Jango" when the fact is that Obi simply could NOT run up to him and lump his head off.

GREAT scene

"Not Good!" was an instant classic :D

5. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    perfect consequence of the polite-with-gritted-teeth confrontation in jango's apartment. even tho "i have a bad feeling about this" was the original dialogue, "not good" so sooooo perfect here by obiwan. great visual angles from the first 180 degree turn with a vengeance by jango to the loss a weapon by each opponent to the lift off by jango and then obiwan's forced drag across the surface. and there are two tip 'o' the hats to other star wars films: jango hitting is head on the slave and the final shot of obiwan watching his prey escape mirroring death maul's unintentional premature goodbye to qui gon on tatooine in phantom

6. Master_Gallia

Master_Gallia Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    I loved this scene as well. The camera work at the beginning is great. Quick shot of Boba, pan to Jango followed by Obi Wan igniting is lightsaber. Very nice!! I've mentioned that AOTC is great IMO because it shows that Jedi dont get easy wins just because there Jedi. Also it shows the lightsaber as a defensive weapon, not just used for lopping of heads.

7. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Yeah it's a great place for a fight. Lots of gadgets used, the pouring rain, the music, everything seems to go right. Though it could have been longer.

Also the edit right before this scene was fairly abrupt. I mean we just jumped right into it. The scene where Obi-Wan returns to their apartment to find they've gone was cut. In many ways it reminds me of the edit just before the Qui-Gon/Maul duel on Tatooine.

So much stuff that poor Boba couldn't do in ROTJ do to technology. :(

8. REALbluelightsaber

REALbluelightsaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2004
    I liked the scene a lot too.

Especially because you saw Obi-Wan fighting without a lightsaber, which shows Obi-Wan (who is THE MAN) can hold his own without his trusty weapon.

I can't give any comment on the camera angles because it has actually been a long time since I saw the movie and can't remember it shot for shot.

Of course "Oh not good." was great.

All in all it was a great fight scene and having it in the rain (wet Obi-Wan...haha) was great also.

9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    *a moment of silence for Boba in ROTJ* :p excellent fight! the headbut was nice, since it hasen't been since before this in a Star Wars film. the music and the rain make for an great atmosphere, plus having Jango bang his head on his ship was priceless. :D

10. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Easily one of the best parts of the movie

11. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Well, it's a cool little fight, yeah, but I do wish we didn't get teased with images and clips beforehand that would end up getting cut from the film. I mean, that Lucas Select pic was sweet! Obi-Wan cart-wheel flipping Jango with his legs, I know I'm not the only one who was looking forward to see how that all played out. Also, the scene form the trailer with Obi-Wan spinning around and expertly blocking blaster shots as Jango did this cool side-stepping action as he blasted away, double gun style. Because of that being cut, we ended up with that awkward edit of Obi-Wan at a distance from Jango, to suddenly almost within swinging distance of Jango right before Jango flys up. So, I'm among the very few who were somewhat disappointed with the sequence on first viewing. It sure has grown on me, though. There's still a lot of cool stuff that happens within the very brief amount of time. Really dig that Obi-Wan and Jango got a chance to have some hand-to-hand combat.

12. Jedimancer

Jedimancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2004
    I HAVE RETURNNNEEEDDD! Not that anyone really cares, but, man, it's been a LOOONNNNNGGGGG time since I last posted in these forums. Anyhow, yeah, I like this fight a lot. I wish it was longer, though that basically goes for any SW fight after I've seen it a few times. Just can't get enough.
    Anyways: visuals-great! Rain practically always makes for the coolest atmosphere and visual look.
    Hand-to-hand combat: BRILLIANT! It's good to see a Jedi get down and dirty. Obi's the man, with or without a lightsaber.
    "Oh, not good!":Very funny; one of the best comedic moments of the saga so far. This, along with Obi's look as the green-crab thing bites the spear are probably my favorite funny moments in AOTC. Not over-done; just right.
    I'm glad that the other poster mentioned how they cut the awesome shot of Obi blocking the laser-blasts while spinning. I didn't realize it right off the bat, but later on I realized it. For a while I think I wondered if I had just made up that image in my head, but then I watched it on the trailer on my AOTC DVD. I really wonder why they cut out such an awesome shot. It's just a couple of seconds long, and without it we now have that awkward Obi seemingly teleporting moment.
    Still, very nice action sequence.

13. Tatooine_Fireman

Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    A great scene. I think everything about has already been said, but the visuals are fantastic indeed, and it was cool to see a Jedi fight without his lightsaber. Just like every other poster here, I wish it the scene was longer.
    I went to see AOTC in the theatres with a friend of mine, who is not a SW fan. When we walked out of the movie, I asked her what she thought. The first thing she said was "That fight in the rain was awesome!" :)

14. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    Oh God yes, it was such a classic scene. It is my favorite scene hands down. It showed just how resourceful Jango was.

15. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). AOTC Chapter 27: Back to Tatooine DISCUSSION will be made available 12:30 AM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

16. Son_of_Jango

Son_of_Jango Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2004
    I REALLY REALLY wish that this fight was longer it was MUCH too short and was probably the best seen in ep 2.

17. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    There is already a thread on this somewhere

18. Storm_Gaxon

Storm_Gaxon Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2005
    This scene was really great.

Nice to see where Boba got some of his tricks from, and just seems a shame that he didn't get chance to use daddy's moves later on. I wince everytime I see what could have been the greatest bounty hunter ever die in a comedic moment.

We even see that Jedi don't just rely on looking dangerous, they are respected/hidden from for a reason. Before now, most Jedi action just involves either lightsaber duels or a quick spin around and a well timed blow.

19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I love the shot of Slave I and the landing platform as the duel is about to begin. Then into the fight. It's slick.

I personally don't have too much of a problem with the edit..I just sorta assume that Obi-Wan is just really, really fast.

20. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    great scene. this was the scene that settled the fact that i prefer Jango to Boba.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.