AOTC Chapter 27: Back to Tatooine DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Dec 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Until the release of ROTS on 5/19/05, I would like to discuss AOTC chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: Attack of the Clones and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 27: Back to Tatooine
    DISCUSSION: December 27, 2004 - December 31, 2004
    DVD TIME INDEX: 63:39 - 66:20

Synopsis:
    The Nubian Yacht flies toward Tatooine. Back in Mos Espa, Anakin and Padme being pulled around by a rickshaw droid pay a visit to Watto. Watto has aged since the last time we have seen him. He is outside his shop trying to fix something. Anakin helps him, then Watto becomes uneasy since this is a Jedi he is dealing with. Anakin says he is looking for Shmi. Watto has no idea who he is, but finally sees Anakin in him. Watto asks Anakin if he can help him with deadbeats who owe him a lot of money. Anakin, trying to get Watto focused, reminds him about his mother. The Toydarian says that he sold her to a moisture farmer named Lars a while back. Lars freed her and married her. Anakin says he want to know where he can find her. Watto agrees and they go inside the shop to look at the records. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    We just left this place on TPM and we're back in AOTC. Luckily we get to see the old spaceport of Mos Espa and the lovable swindler, Watto. It's important to bring full circle to Watto, but it serves minimal purpose.

I like this chapter. We get a nice transition from rain to desert. Mos Espa really hasn't changed in ten years, just Watto. Older Watto seems more real the Watto from Phantom Menace. He's less blue, he's scraggly and got a nice looking hat. I love the "You sure sprouted, Wehoo" line and also the one about "You wanna help me find some deadbeats who owe me a lot of money."

I always wondered how the rickshaw droid played into it. When I read spoilers a few years back, I had no idea how this would play in. We don't need to know how Anakin and Padme got their hands on one, since it only has a few seconds screentime. It's also good to hear some more backstory and hear some familar names like Mos Eisley and Lars again.

It does its job to tie up some loose threads in Phantom Menace. We no longer have to return to Mos Espa now that we'll be having the Lars Homestead for currently two films. Good chapter.
  2. openmind Jedi Master

star 4
    I liked firstly as soon as Jango and Boba ?team? escape Kamino, the next scene is another couple ?team? race to Tattoine. I got a little dizzy a sort of vertigo, watching the camera work as Tattoine comes into view with the ?spinning? of the planet, as it rights its way (just a small observance of mine, perhaps).

We learn a bit more about how ?outlanders? get transport to and fro the hangar and their respective destination within the city? I guess ;)

I noticed how gentlemanly he really is, letting Padme off the trishaw. Padme shows a very subtle appreciation as they look at each other.Anakin then proceeds directly to Watto?s shop (or what?s left of it).

I really like the tone and tempo of Anakin?s voice, a more serious view of him, yet calm at the same time. While Watto is trying to figure out who?s this dark stranger knowing his name, I love the way Anakin takes the faulty droid and picks it up and tells Watto that he?ll fix it. It was seemed really on purpose, so that Watto then can see the lazersword. A bit of a dark humour if you will. Two messages are signaled here. Watto gets the point not to long after words, as soon as Anakin ?fixes? the droid.

Watto certainly has not lost his urge to continue gambling with the ??deadbeats?lot of money!? line.

The second message Watto understands is that Anakin is a Jedi and one he cannot refuse to reveal any secrets. Jedi mind tricks were useless anyway. Notice the little shadow boxing by Watto with the ?A Jedi!, waddya know! ? I thought that was endearing.

Watto cheer about Shmi?s marriage ?yeah!? was amusing, while the Padme face is in focus.

Next stop, the other side of Mos Eisely for A and P.

3. Obi_Frans Jedi Master

star 4
    The music is great throughout this scene (matter of fact, the music is brilliant throughout all of the Tatooine scenes in AotC)

I loved Anakins Vaderish attitude towards Watto ("I'd like to know" "...my mother!..") and how affected he becomes when he finds out Watto "sold" his mom

Great scenes, i think the AotC scenes on Tatooine are some of the most powerful SW scenes overall.
  4. Master_Gallia Jedi Master

star 2
    This is Watto's time to shine as a character. "Ani, little Ani? For all of the crap GL takes about using "too much" CG, this scene nails it. Overall, this scene is just a bridge to finding Laurs. But I think it was a good idea to bring Anakin and Watto's relationship full circle. When they last saw each-other, Anakin was a slave under Watto's total control. Now he is a Jedi and has control over more power then Watto can dream of. " Ahh a Jedi huh? Wadayaknow" But Watto being the classic swindler only thinks about how Anakin can help him find some deadbeats. Good scene!
  5. MILK-HANDS Jedi Master

star 4
    The reintroduction to Watto is proof-positive, I think, that both the animators and George Lucas are easily capable of manufacturing a subtle visual performance. Watto is all about the small considerations of Anakin, the flies idly buzzing around his largely still body, and the clear and apparent signs of his falling on much harder times. Watto in general though, has been one of the few absent spots in basher criticism of CGI.

I like the power Anakin displays - he's tall now, he's confident, and he is in more control of the situation than Watto can possibly dream.

The scene also epitomizes the Star Wars-style for me as well; instead of Anakin and Padme following Watto into his shop, with a lengthy scene of looking and extraneous dialogue, the scene simply ends. As quick a scene as possible, yet it conveys a great deal.
  6. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Force Ghost

star 5
    This was a good scene. I really liked Watto in TPM so it was cool to see him again. It was interesting to see that Shmi was married.
  7. Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Master

star 4
    Good scene.
    I loved Padme's ship zooming towards Tatooine. Naboo ships are just beautiful; a shame Padme's most gorgeous ship got blown up in the movie. Having the camera spin around Tatooine was cool too.
    It was nice to see the spaceport; it looks a lot like the one in ANH where the Millennium Falcon stands, and reminds me again that this is all taking place on the same planet.

Great scenery on the streets of Mos Espa. The riksia was a funny vehicle, and I just looove that cute little blue alien (relative of Podracer Ratts Tyrell I think) that chases after that baby Nuna as Anakin and Padme embark from the riksia.
    Have you guys noticed how gentle Anakin is towards Padme? Everytime she gets out of a vehicle, he offers his hand, and she takes it. This was also seen when they arrive at the lake retreat, and Anakin also helps her into the gunship at Geonosis. I think this adds a little to that old fashioned style GL wanted.
    Padme's robe looks gorgeous BTW. :D

I liked Watto in TPM, so I was glad they brought him back. It was good to see him a little more scruffy; buisness haven't been going well since Anakin left.
    I liked how Anakin introduced himself to Watto. Him repairing the droid reminds us again that this young man was that little boy from the previous movie. The same with Watto's line "You sure sprouted eh?".
    There is one line of Anakin which I don't like, and that is "I'd like to know...". I get the idea that it is meant to sound rather Vader alike, but to me it sounds rather whiny...but oh well.
  8. lovelucas Force Ghost

star 4
    watto is terrific - tho not heroic he is the most complete cg character with all the aforementioned nuances - shadowboxing was so "human", scratching his head trying to recall shmi's once and future home. and this marks a real change in anakin's character - he is taking control and demanding answers but there is that undercurrent of a growing sense of urgency & the prospect of loss. he's a slow burn - actually shows patience...up to a point. and it's a real reversal of roles: he is no longer the slave but in a position to order watto to respond. very persuasive. and even tho the fireside scene was perhaps the previous night (?) with the rejection by padme, there is a real sense of courtship in how anakin assists padme. and the look on her face when the realization sets in that shmi's fate is still a mystery indicates a shared emotional concern with anakin. and i agree, it was great to see the familiar location although anakin did not react as i thought he would, seeing his former home.....perhaps showing signs of a jedi's detachment. this scene really works.

9. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    TF, I agree that Padme's blue cloak and underdress is beautiful. Once again we only see her face, which seems to carry on from TPM when she was a queen.

But I guess that it's also a way for no one to know who she is. Watto did not even acknowledge her, just Anakin.
  10. CloneCommander07 Jedi Master

star 4
    Chapter27: Ha ha. Watto has a beard. A very easy sign that Watto has aged. I always thought that in TPM, Watto was not portrayed as a smelly, swindling, Toydarian who only cares about money like I thought he was. But when we see him in AOTC, lines such as "maybe you could help me with some deadbeats who owe me a lot of money" and "I'm sorry, Ani, but business is business", really show that he is just that. This scene also provided some "closure" and a farewell to his character as we won't see him on-screen later.

After Anakin won the pod race in TPM and Watto lost everything, did that include his junkshop too? I know since he was "desperate to recoup some of his losses", he sold Shmi to Cliegg and I wasn't aware if he lost his old shop and perhaps had to find a smaller location to sell his junk.

And also, does Watto recognize Padme? She was in his shop in TPM, and I not sure if he does or not. Her face was partially hidden but does anyone have an explanation?

EDIT: Found answer above in Moleman's entry to whether Watto recognized Padme or not.
  11. Hades2021 Jedi Master

star 4
    CG Watto looks great!
  12. HL&S Magistrate Emeritus

star 6
    Seeing Watto again was nice. The computer animation on him always looks good. His character is great. It was sad the scene couldn't last longer. He really is sorta likeable under the slave owning stuff.

It was good to start getting the connection between the Skywalkers and the Lars family. Makes for a better story than Obi and Owen being brothers.
  13. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    this scene is perfect, but only has one flaw: Watto doesn't have enoug have enough screentime! :p
  14. lovelucas Force Ghost

star 4
    back to tatooine truly continues the weaving of the prequels to the OT - but also weaves AOTC to phantom. t'would have been cool to see anakin seek out his former hovel of a home just for old times' sake but jedi's don't do that, do they?
  15. Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Master

star 4
    There is always an intensity in the scenes on Tatooine, a kind of visual suspense. We know something is going to happen because it is the root, the beginning, the start of so many events of the saga. It is the birth place of Anakin Skywalker, the home of Luke Skywalker, the place of Shmi Skywalker's life and death. Their family is intrinsically tied to this planet, the cycle of their lives and metaphorically realized by the harsh living of the planet. For a Skywalker, Tatooine is the place where the sun rises and falls at the beginnings and ends of their journeys. Luke watches the suns setting the day before his life is changed forever by a set of droids. Anakin Skywalker faces enormous change by the setting of the sun, and by the rising dawn, he is a different man who known the taste of darkness, stripped of his innocence and the mother he so carefully defined himself by. Both men were strongly influenced and characterized by their experiences on Tatooine.

This being said, any scene on Tatooine is ultimately made powerful by the setting alone, much less the acting that goes into it. This time around, the change we see is the emergence of darkness in Anakin Skywalker. While events that transpire to bring that out and show us Darth Vader for the first time happen in a latter part of the film, we start to see the characteristics emerge here in his conversation with Watto. Even at just the few hints of a darker side to Anakin - his speech patterns, his intimidating features - creates enough suspense for the viewer to know something big is on its way. It's really a shining moment for Hayden in this film, where he managed to link child Anakin to Darth Vader by creating a bridge period where he reflected both that childish vulnerability mixed with that uglier darkness.

And, yes, it's a great farewell to Watto. Speaks alot of the character's short-sightedness. While not a flaw that isn't shared by many, it certainly catches up to him by AOTC. I really love the way he was animated and dubbed. While still immoral in his own right, his sad position seems to evoke a kind of sympathy for the character despite everything. It also speaks alot for Anakin's character, how much he's changed. It becomes pretty obvious by the way he handles the conversation with Watto (interestingly enough, in the novel, Padme knew Huttese, too :) ) that he's fully aware that he's no longer the little slave boy - it is he now holds the power.
  16. lovelucas Force Ghost

star 4
    profound post chaotic serenity

=D=

17. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). AOTC Chapter 28: Asteroid Chase DISCUSSION will be made available 12:00 AM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.