main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC Chapter 28: Asteroid Chase DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Dec 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Until the release of ROTS on 5/19/05, I would like to discuss AOTC chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: Attack of the Clones and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 28: Asteroid Chase
    DISCUSSION: January 1, 2005 - January 5, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 66:21 - 71:14

Synopsis:
    The Slave I blasts towards Geonosis with Obi-Wan following in a fairly distant pursuit. The Jedi Starfighter separates from the hyperspace ring to follow Jango into the asteroid field surrounding the planet. Jango picks up the Jedi ship on his scanners and realizes that a homing device has been put on the hull. Obi-Wan pilots through the field. Jango releases semisic charges into an asteroid, blowing it to pieces as well as many smaller asteroid in the vicinity. The Jedi manuevers trying to avoid the blast. Jango releases another charge as Obi-Wan dodges more destroyed asteroids. Jango grows angry as Obi-Wan refuses to take a hint. The bounty hunter enters one of the larger asteroids with Obi-Wan in hot pursuit. Slave I flips around the asteroid as the Jedi ship emerges. Now pursuing Obi-Wan, Jango fires. The Jedi, reacting to the blasts, says how he hates to fly. Jango is relentless in his firing and shoots again. Obi-Wan continually tries to dodge the seeker through the field. With no other options, the Jedi instructs R4 to release the spare containers to through the seeker off course and does so. Jango, seeing the blast, believes Obi-Wan has been killed and advances towards Geonosis. The starfighter however is on one of the asteroid. On the planet, Jango lands in a vast concentration of Trade Federation cores. After moments of waiting, Obi-Wan takes off and flies to Geonosis. He notices the concentration of Federation ships and lands away from the enemy. The Jedi gets out the ship and heads up a rocky trail. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    Another exciting sequnce of action in the Obi-Wan and Jango, cat and mouse game. Seems Obi-Wan has not given up on the bounty hunter and now is pursuing him through an asteroid field, something we've definitely seen before.

The second half of the story is less love story and more action for sure. This chapter proves that with an excellent asteroid chase. It's good that it was an asteroid field, because if Obi-Wan just followed Jango to Geonosis, it would have been very boring. Also it brings the recurring theme from Empire. It seems that the Slave I has more tricks up its sleeve than we know about, which add to the excess thrill.

Ewan deliver well once again as Obi-Wan. "This is why I hate flying" is bound to become a classic saga line and fits well into his character from the original films. Surprisingly the sequence went pretty long if I may say so. Almost three minutes of action and two of a new mystery. On Geonosis, we get to see the Trade Federation once again, which now puts Jango in league with Gunray for sure.

Very good chapter to turn the film around. I love the exposition on Coruscant, Kamino and Naboo, but this is one of those sequences that makes you want to enjoy this film and love the saga as a whole. Good chapter.

2. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Cool, good quick scene of action.

3. General_Cartman_Lee

General_Cartman_Lee Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2004
    The good:
    Sound effects of the seismic charges.
    If you look really closely to Jango's viewscreen you can see Obi-Wan's ship dart across to an asteroid.

The bad:
    Boba's pseudo-evil laugh (I hate it).
    I'm not sure if this is in this chapter or the next, but the fact that the Geonosian cave Obi-Wan enters looks like a painting with no realism at all.

4. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Now I could be remembering this wrong so forgive me (haven't had access to the DVD for a while), but theres something I don't like about the sound in this chapter, the explosion from the charges is of course cool, but when the sound is just left to the sound of Slave 1's blasters and explosions, it doesn't work for me. Its like how most of the pod race didn't have a score in the background, until right at the end, and if I'm remembering correctly the music kicks in when Jango fires the missle, I'm not a fan of that, I would have rather a full score in the background throughout to make it more exciting. The asteroid chase in ESB has a full score throughout doesn't it?

Everything else in this scene is great though

5. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Good scene. The Slave 1 involved in some sort of space action. The seismic charges were great. I can definetly give Burtt credit on that. The dialogue exchange between Jango and Boba is awful. Especially the delivery from Logan. Ugh. The special effects were nice though. It was also odd to see another astromech droid get so much attention in an SW film. R4-P17 really was getting screen time at this point.

Geonosis. The rocky world. A planet with rings. Interesting enough.

Seeing Federation ships present kinda brought one back to TPM. A hint at who was coming up. From Clones to Droids. What does Jango have to do with the Trade Federation? The mystery continues.

6. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    the siesmic charges....... one of the most famous inventions in episode II

7. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I really thought the Asteroid Chase scene was great. Very high pulse, which was an awesome spinoff from the battle on the Kamino landing platform.

8. CloneCommander07

CloneCommander07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2004
    Obi-wan, Jedi Starfighter Against Asteroid(AOTC) = Han, Millenium Falcon Against Star Destroyer(ESB)

That's what I like best about this scene.

CloneCommander07

9. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    It was nice to see where Boba got a few of his tricks used in ESB. Particularily laying dormant and waiting for his prey to get a head of him.

10. Ker-Soth

Ker-Soth Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    agree^

The chapter is cool. Too cool. The seismic charges are perfect, and I really liked watching Ewan in that situation. For a man who hates flying he faired pretty well. ;). A good dogfight was something I really missen in TPM.

11. Tatooine_Fireman

Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    I think everything about this scene has already been said. I love this scene; asteroids, Fetts and a dogfight...it's pure Star Wars! :)

12. Count_Solidus

Count_Solidus Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 31, 2004
    If you listen to the director's commentary of this seen on the EP. II DVD, they point out that the trick of Obi-Wan hiding on the asteroid is similiar to the one Han Solo used when he hid on the Star Destroyer's bridge during Empire Strike Back. Who was the only bounty hunter not to fall for it? Boba Fett. Why? Because he had seen it before.

13. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    I like what you did with that Count_Solidus. :)

14. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    If you listen to the director's commentary of this seen on the EP. II DVD, they point out that the trick of Obi-Wan hiding on the asteroid is similiar to the one Han Solo used when he hid on the Star Destroyer's bridge during Empire Strike Back. Who was the only bounty hunter not to fall for it? Boba Fett. Why? Because he had seen it before.

When Boba noticed the Falcon, it was speeding away from the Star Destroyer. Boba had no evidence of Han Solo being on the hull of the ship. He just happened to look out of his window and see a ship speeding away. I always thought of his reaction as like "oh, hey, there they are".

If you think about what I've said, it makes perfect sense,

15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    what HLAS posted basically sums up my thoughts on this chapter: great action & effects (visually & sound), but horrible, wrenching dialogue between Jango & Boba. seeing Trade Federation ships lets viewers think of TPM, which makes the mystery that has been developing even bigger.

16. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

horrible, wrenching dialogue between Jango & Boba.

This is news to me. It sounded perfectly fine.
    The dialogue was appropriate to the situation
    and sounded natural. I liked their father-son rapport.

17. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    the dialogue really isn't special and the acting was flat between Jango & Boba.

18. MasterWiYa

MasterWiYa Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2004
    The seismic charges are perhaps the coolest sounding invention in the entire Star Wars universe.

I also love the forshadowing with Obi-Wan hiding on the back of the asteroid and Boba learning this trick. I never noticed this until the commentary pointed it out, but I now enjoy the scene far more than just as a cool action piece.

19. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    The special visual effects in this sequence are simply breathtaking. Even if you were to regard the scene as purely kinetic action, which it isn't, the screen is filled with such stunning detail that it is truly wondrous to regard. When considered singularly on the level of CGI craftsmanship, this particular scene is about as good as any in the film.

20. Count_Solidus

Dec 31, 2004
    Could be. I'm just saying what, Rob Coleman, l think, said during the commentary. Either it was intentional foreshadowing or a clever and sudden realization on his part.

21. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    Count_Solidus - Are you making reference to my previous post? I did not mean to either deliberately or inadvertantly implicate your comments, as I agree with your statements and thus did not feel the need to challenge them. I was merely making a comment which was independent in regards to the special effects and how they are used in the asteroid chase.

22. Count_Solidus

Dec 31, 2004
    Sorry. I misinterpreted. I should always read the comments more carefully. You're right, by the way, i had never looked at his reaction like that.

23. Taivasvaeltaja

Taivasvaeltaja Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2003
    Very Star Warsy action sequence, possibly the most original trilogy-like in the prequels so far. The flying of the space ships here is absolutely beautiful to watch, and they couldn´t have chosen a better scene for the sound FX only action - at least I like the seismic charges.

Anyway, probably the best part of this is when the sequence ends with a new sense of mystery - John´s music playing a vital part once again.

24. Hades2021

Hades2021 Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2003
    I liked the seismic charges. The dialogue was good, but the acting wasn't all that great. It was acceptable though. I liked how Obi=Wan talks to himself. (Or is he talking to R5?)

25. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I enjoyed this scene thoroughly. I liked the ?father and son? relationship between Jango and his clone "son" Boba. Their dialogue ?Hang on, son, we'll move into the asteroid field.? was particularly interesting. I simply thought of ESB when Vader mentions to Luke ?rule the galaxy, father and son?.

It was great to also see Jango?s helmet in the background and also the ominous reflection of it on the windscreen. Loved the movement of the shadows on the instrument panel and shine of the sun on the metal parts as well.

My favourite line was ?he doesn?t take a hint, this guy? [face_laugh].

Seismic charges were cool of course, with their triple blasts for each charge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.