AOTC Chapter 29: Lars' Homestead DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Jan 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd, heels1785
  1. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Until the release of ROTS on 5/19/05, I would like to discuss AOTC chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: Attack of the Clones and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 29: Lars' Homestead
    DISCUSSION: January 6, 2005 - January 10, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 71:15 - 73:57

Synopsis:
    Anakin and Padme depart the Naboo Yacht, heading towards the homestead of Lars. Anakin spots a protocol droid working outside and identifies it to be his old droid, Threepio. Threepio recognizes both of them and leads them into the courtyard, where he introduce the two to his Master Owen. Anakin, Padme, Owen and Beru all do introductions. Owen said that he knew that his stepbrother would come someday. Anakin asks where is mother is? Cliegg Lars hovers and shakes Anakin's hand. At dinner, Cliegg tells the story to her capture and Anakin feel as helpless as ever. Thirty went looking for Shmi and few returned. Cliegg said he'd be still looking for her if it wasn't for his leg. Anakin gets up and begins to head off. Owen asks where is he going and Anakin says to find his mother. His stepfather suggests to Anakin to let go of Shmi since there is little hope she is alive. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    Probably the greatest parallel to date in the saga. This is where it feels like we all grew up, even though we're not from a desert planet. It's another great moment in the second half of the film.

The Homestead is amazing. After 25 years since filming it still looks the same. They captured an equal effect to the 1977 rendition. It was good to see they tied up the relationship of Anakin and Owen. Since many have always said, by the ROTJ novel that Owen and Obi-Wan were brothers. It's also good to see Anakin has a father to some degree and also Owen and Beru, even though they don't talk much. Especially Beru. Hello doesn't cut it.

Even where they have dinner parallels the one from the original film. And the ending when Owen asks Anakin where he's going is perfect. The first time, mouthing the words, I let slip "looks like I'm going nowhere." Also we get some more backstory on the Tusken Raiders, since it seems like every time we go to Tatooine, we see them and have reason to hate them even more.

The Vader shadow is good foreshadowing even though it "wasn't planned." The end shot of Anakin taking off the last time as a child and Padme standing silently with her back turned to us is classic as far as I'm concerned. Excellent chapter indeed.

Some text has been trimmed at the request of the author.
  2. BaronFel88 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    One of my favorite scenes in the movie, the discussion at the dinner table still hits me. Great acting all around, too.
  3. Hades2021 Jedi Master

star 4
    I love this scene. Owen says, "I knew you'd show up someday" or something to that effect which proves that Owen knows about Anakin.

I liked Anakin's line: "I won't be long." It's awesome. Then the music hits. A lot of mirroring in this scene.
  4. CIS_General Jedi Padawan

this was a great chapter but i wonder what 3PO was doing all that time?
  5. bobafett113 Jedi Knight

star 1
    One of my favorite in the movie, great chapter. Wasn't the last part with anakins shadow and him taking off on the speeder chapter 30 Anakins Search?????
  6. Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Master

star 4
    I have to concur with Bobafett 113, here; the 'shadow-hug scene' comes under the beginning of the chapter following "Lars' Homestead", "Anakin's Search". Regardless of that, though, this is one of the best scenes in terms of poetic imagery in the film - everything else in the movie has been moving towards this one moment, the turning point of the saga. Lucas is able to communicate this exquisitely, and with great economy by employing an image that is both beauteous and foreboding. Listen carefully to John Williams' music as Padme walks over to Anakin and hugs him - the slow, building progession of that theme has been introduced earlier in the picture and assembled slowly over the first hour to correspond with Lucas' gradual, brooding narrative ascent. This is the payoff, both aurally and visually.

Also, it is interesting to watch Portman when Anakin states "I'm going to find my mother". Watch the sad, hopeless look upon her face as Lucas edits between the interior of the Homestead and the exterior wide shot of Anakin standing in the dimming light of the binary suns. That look there is one of three crucial pieces of subtlety in Portman's acting in the picture. That, I think, represents the key to understanding the Anakin-Padme relationship, and perhaps to comprehending the heart of the film. I will not mention the other two, as you may discover them for yourself. This entire chapter or sequence is a small masterpiece.
  7. Master_Gallia Jedi Master

star 2
    The combination of Lucas's editing and JW's score makes this scene near perfect!! Notice how the scene's music starts off on a playful note. All seems pretty normal. Meeting the new people in his mothers life. Then Owen introduces himself and instantly begins to confirm Anakin's fear. The music shifts to a sad and simple melody. Anakin is visibly disturbed as Padme watches his reactions.

This scene also helps to justify the so called "rushed" romance. Padme's compassion his given totally to Anakin. She met his mother, was there when Anakin was taken away, now knows of his feelings for her as well as the pain it causes him, she overhears Anakin's nightmare and learns that he senses that she's in danger. And now shes there watching Anakin as he learns that his mother is dead. VERY POWERFUL for me.

"where are you going?'

"To find my mother"

"your mother is dead son.."

The shot moves outside. The melody is the same, however, the high notes make the sadness and emptiness of Anakin stand out. Anakin looking out into the desert has Padme joins him still looking concerned for him.

I think its also interesting that many casual fans and SW fans didn't really see this coming. Its not a "I am your father" moment, but still kinda out of left field.
  8. Obi_Frans Jedi Master

star 4
    I think this is one of the most subtly powerful scenes in the entire saga (the coming scenes are...not so subtle ;) )

Everybodys reactions while Clieg is retelling the story, Owen & Beru are really uncomfortable, Anakin is completely stressing out and Padme is constantly "aware" of Anakin.

The 'hug-scene' is just beautiful

Excellent scene
  9. Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Master

star 4
    With this chapter, we return to what is are roots of Star Wars; the homestead. They did a great job in recreating the interior, and the look and feel are the same as they are in ANH.
    What I didn't like was how Owen and Beru's roles were deminished. Cliegg is doing most of the talking in this scene, and we immediatally feel for his character, and the loss of his wife. I had the same for Shmi Skywalker; a rather small part, but the actress managed to make it into a great character.

As Cliegg tells how Shmi got abducted by the Tuskens, Anakin has his eyes closed, as if he's not really listening to Cliegg, but is thinking of a way to save her. This is clear when he stands up. He wants to walk away immediatelly to go after his mother, and only Owen's question, prevents him from walking away without saying anything.
    I love the close up on Padme's face; she really feels sad for Anakin.
    The scene where Anakin leaves the homestead is just fantastic. There are barely any words spoken between Anakin and Padme, but through the music and visuals, we get what is going on in their heads.

There were many scenes filmed at the homestead, but most of them got cut out. I would've loved to see all of these on the DVD, but maybe something for a future release...?
    What I think the Tatooine scenes in AOTC could use, is a bit more interaction between Anakin and Padme and the Lars family. These are the people they will entrust their son with, and IMO "these are good people" just doesn't do it.

Another funny thing: the droid 3PO is working on as Anakin and Padme arrive at the homestead, is the same as the droid Luke is working with in one of the deleted scenes from ANH. :)
  10. Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Master

star 4
    For me, the sequence achieves perfection. I am glad that the other extraneous material was excised - it would have interrupted the flow of the film, thus truncating its poetic fluidity. I couldn't have lived with that. The chapter in question does its job in a memorable and efficient manner.
  11. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Thank you Tyranus and Boba113. I'm dropping the ball quickly. Okay, it stays in this discussion, but technically is part on Anakin's Search.
  12. Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Master

star 4
    Moleman, does that mean that we get to discuss this twice? Actually, because the chapter stop is seperated by two successive images that are part of the same scene, and more importantly, the same fabric, I think that it makes sense to at the very least awknowledge the beginning of "Anakin's Search". Anakin on the speeder bike and the "Duel of the Fates" montage can be saved for the next thread.
  13. lovelucas Force Ghost

star 4
    one of my faves as well - the recognition of c3po, the homestead, moisture farming apparatus, etc. c3po's uncomfortable change of subject when asked about shmi; the ceiling!!! still there from ANH. i have shots of both scenes: luke at the table / anakin at the table - fantastic concept. and the look anakin gives the lars family for not trying harder to save his mother will be maximized when he returns with her body. totally agree with natalie's portrayal - showing sooo much w/o a word. the outdoor scene is haunting - the music, the shadows. the acknowledgement of intense feelings (remember, the night before padme had just rejected anakin - this is a realllll change)with the hug before the farewell. anakin taking off on the speeder: one of the best cg moments.
  14. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Force Ghost

star 5
    This was cool to see the Lars, to see what Shmi was up to and C-3PO back again.
  15. HL&S Magistrate Emeritus/2014 Celebrity Deadpool Winner

Game Winner
    star 6
    3PO! The Treadwell droid! The Homestead! Yay for OT stuff. :p Actually I remember being blinded when this scene popped up on the theater screen. It went from dark Geonosis to bright Tatooine and I had to adjust the eyes. 3PO looks better. Not quite the goldenrod, but at least he's back in the story finally. The homestead hasn't changed. Which is good. Owen and Beru returning is good. The connection between Owen, Anakin, and Luke finally revealed. Long gone are the days of Owen being Obi's brother. Owen really is Luke's uncle thankfully. Cliegg Lars is nice character. You kinda get the impression that he's old and sickly and won't be around much longer. Then we see the table where Luke complained about not going to the academy. Such memories.

Shmi has been captured by Sand People. Now at this time in my head I'm thinking, how did Palpatine pull this one off? What's the connection between Palpatine and the Tuskens? I mean it's mighty coincidental that this would all happen now. But I guess it really just was coincidence.

16. MasterWiYa Jedi Knight

star 3
    I love this scene. In terms of emotion, this is as good as AotC gets.

Plus, anyone else notice the Vader resemblence in Anakin's shadow. It happened unintentionally, but it's pretty neat anyway.

I love the motif of Luke and Anakin here. You could talk for hours comparing where they are at their respective stages in life when they look out at the sunset from the top of the homestead.
  17. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Good scene. and moleman thanks for moving the time slot up some
  18. RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    All the scenes on Tatooine are exemplary. They are the highlights of AOTC. This one in particular is special because of its similarities and allusions to ANH. And fittingly enough it gets right to the heart of Anakin and Padme. You can tell he's on the verge of something major, it's like you're on a train and see a ravine with no bridge in the distance. And in Padme's reaction to Anakin leaving you can tell that love is imminent.

I also like the look into what Anakin's life could have been like if he had never been found by the Jedi. Would he be working on the farm with Owen? Would that have been so bad?
  19. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    like the with the Senate scene in TPM, first time viewers will not appreciate this scene has much as the rest of us do. :D best scene in the PT (so far mind you, ROTS isn't out yet :p ) that ties in the OT, since we see a semi-completed 3PO, the homstead, and Anakin at a crossroads in his life staring into the Binary Sunset as Luke will later do himself. this scene couldn't have been better.
  20. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Unfortunately, words cannot do this scene(s) nor the entire Tatooine sequence justice. It is just so wonderfully directed, written, and shot. Like others have said before, it is my favorite of the PT thus far and that is mainly due to it's richness in parallels.
  21. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). AOTC Chapter 30: Anakin's Search DISCUSSION will be made available 12:00 AM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138
Moderators: Bazinga'd, heels1785
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.