main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC Chapter 32: Tusken Camp DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Jan 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Until the release of ROTS on 5/19/05, I would like to discuss AOTC chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: Attack of the Clones and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 32: Tusken Camp
    DISCUSSION: January 21, 2005 - January 25, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 77:45 - 81:35

Synopsis:
    Anakin sneaks above a camp of Tuskens and jumps off a cliff. Between tents, Massiffs are fighting over bones. Anakin sneaks around some more, finally putting an opening into one of the huts. There he finds his mother, caked with blood and strapped to poles. Anakin loosens his mother and cradles her in her arms. He tells her that he'll get her out of there. She is mumbling, but finally figures out who he is. She says how handsome he's become and that she's proud of him. Telling him that she is complete, she struggle to say she loves him then dies in his arms. Anakin snaps, slaughtering the entire Tusken camp. The voice of Qui-Gon Jinn is heard telling him not to do it. Back at the Jedi Temple, Yoda senses something and tell Mace Windu. Something has happened to Anakin and he is now is terrible pain. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    If there was one emotional moment in the entire film, the slaughter at the Tusken camp would have to be it. We get to see a preview of Anakin's transition into Vader and nicely ties up the plotline with his mother.

When I initially watched this, I felt cheated because Anakin was supposed to free his mother from Watto. Now almost three years later, this has so much more meaning. We see the parallel between Luke and Anakin with their Tusken experience. We also have a reason to hate the Sandpeople some more. This is one of the best acting moments in the movie.

In the hut or tent, the exchanges between Hayden and Pernilla are excellent. To come back after a decade only to hold your dead mother in your arms is so gut-wrenching. The slaughter itself is well done and I have mixed feelings for Anakin. In one aspect, I cheer but I know what will happen in the long run. Luckily we have the voice of Liam Neeson to make this more chilling.

The end of the chapter on the temple is good since we don't get that much Mace or Yoda. It's also good to see them reacting to Anakin's pain as well. This film get better and better, but this is true filmmaking.

march162015 likes this.
  2. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    good scene

march162015 likes this.
  3. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    This is a great scene. The image of Anakin descending from the cliff against the backdrop of the night sky (a fallen angel?) is amazing. Anakin's realization that his mother is dying and his subsequent anger form one of Hayden's best acting moments in the film. On the other hand, I felt that Pernilla August was somewhat disappointing here after her great performance in TPM. Mostly for the line "You look so handsome," for which she strangely seems to be in fine condition seconds after seeming to be practically incoherent as she babbles, "Ani? Ani?" That's just a minor weakness in this scene, though.

I remember some people wanting to see the whole Tusken slaughter, but I believe just the right amount was shown. The short scene with Mace and Yoda was nice to see here. I found it interesting that Yoda senses Anakin is in pain but apparently doesn't realize that Anakin is slaughtering a village of sentient beings. The appearance of Qui-Gon's voice is intriguing, although the "Noooooo" portion doesn't really sound like Qui-Gon to me which was cause for some confusion.

John Williams' score, while not as memorable as in the previous Tatooine scene, is great here.

4. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    my sentiments almost exactly. loved the descent of anakin from the cliff - and pernilla who was just spot on in every scene in phantom - "you look so handsome" just doesn't sound right here and for the reasons cited above - dying dying PERKY! dying dying. anakin is in such anguish - he's found his mother again only to lose her within minutes. hayden is fantastic in this scene - could not have been better. he is heartbreaking when he's begging shmi to hold on and when she can't....well, hayden's face says it all. he's so gentle with her, as if she could still feel how he is taking care of her. and then that intense string music begins - and the madness- both anger and mental illness definitions - are seen in his eyes. really important that we get that brief glimpse of mother and child tuskens so we can remember that there are innocents and innocence lost here. qui gon vocal appearance was the master's touch - and gave us an entirely different set of things to ponder, that and yoda being able to sense similtaneously that something indeed has gone terribly terribly wrong. this is fantastic star wars.

5. Hades2021

Hades2021 Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2003
    I really love this scene. The fake CGI dogs are weird, but not very distracting at least. I really like the acting of them both. Yoda and Mace's interaction is a little iffy. The addition of Qui-Gonn's voice was only confusing, because it doesn't make any sense. If you were watching Episode II without watching anyother starwars movies, you would think the voice is Obi-Wan's. We should have at least been told that it is Qui-Gonn's voice. That's my opinion, anyway.

march162015 likes this.
  6. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    If you were watching Episode II without watching anyother starwars movies, you would think the voice is Obi-Wan's.

I don't think people would mistake the voice as Obi-Wan's. It sounded nothing like him.

7. Hades2021

Hades2021 Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2003
    Well then you wouldn't know who just said, "Anakin Anakin NO!" and why that was important.

march162015 likes this.
  8. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    ahh- but that's part of the folklore, doncha think? A New Hope did not explain it all either. that's part of the fun. we're cool--we know. but we didn't when we first heard it. but we thought about it. then read about it. then put it all together.

9. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    This is one of the more haunting passages in the picture. The way that it is assembled is actually quite masterful - the mise-en-scene is cascading and peerless. I know that there are some who suggest that Shmi's death scene is unintentionally humorous, and while I can understand that point of view, I disagree with it. When you look at this scene upon consideration of the events which unfolded in "Episode 1", it seems to become more emotionally resonant and powerful. Hayden is very good here - he is able to perfectly convey Anakin's sadness, frustration, anger, and rage. If you watch the scene where Anakin is holding Shmi as she dies, I ask you to listen very closely to Williams' musical arrangement; attentive viewers will notice that the score here deliberately echoes that which was employed in "Return of the Jedi" as Yoda "dies" and subsequently becomes "one with the Force". The scores are quite similar - similar enough to convincingly suggest the presence of a subdued or hidden thematic subtext. If you are able to listen to the respective scores in successive fashion, notice where the music in the two scenes diverges; Luke is saddened by Yoda's death, and yet he accepts it. Conversely, Anakin submits to anger and unleashes his rage upon the Tusken Raiders.

I know that the Anakin's slaughter is not shown in enough detail to properly sate the more bloodthirsty audience appetities, yet to my mind, it is rendered in a fashion that is perfectly lyrical and suggestive without becoming too grisly or violent in a manner that would detract from the film's overall impact. The transition from Anakin to Yoda in his meditation chamber is extremely fluid and natural - Williams' music likewise compliments the operatic structure of Lucas' imagery in a fashion which envelops and moves us.

10. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Great homage to the film the Searchers with the Tusken camp. They even have the fighting dogs/Massiffs.

Shmi Skywalkers ramblings are kinda odd. She keeps repeating herself and says "Ani? Ani? Ani? Ani? Ani? Ani? Ani? Ani?" But it was emotional. Especially when Anakin snaps.

I remember when during the spoiler days we were wondering how Palpatine was involved with her kidnapping. Because it was way too coincidental. Especially since she dies just in time. Kept thinking Aurra Sing framed the Tuskens or something. :p

The voice of Qui-Gon Jinn. Returning through the force. But what does this mean? The plot thickens.

11. Master_Gallia

Master_Gallia Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    This scene is great. Its another scene where HC is justified in playing the role of Anakin. As usual JW comes through with the perfect score that hits its high-point when Shmi dies. I must admit, when I was watching this for the first time I didn't really think Shmi was going to die. I was to caught up in the moment, Anakin holding his mother severely injured. When the 'breaking point' finally comes, look at Anakin's face. Its as if he never imagined her dying. In that one instant Anakin's whole world collapsed. This is also why I don't understand people complaining about Anakin being a young punk killer. Its not as if he went looking for the Sandpeople after the fact. He was right there in the mist of them.

I liked the way that GL decided to edit the slaughter. We saw Anakin take out the two guards and then the one who ran toward him. If anybody saw AOTC in the IMAX, When Anakin swung his lightsaber, the sound was bass heavy and VERY intense. Its slightly louder than the music which I think conveys the intensity of the scene very well.

This was also a good acting scene for Yoda. "Pain...suffering.....death I feel" Yoda gets a taste of Anakin's inner conflict. "Young Skywalker is pain..... Terrible pain"

Great scene.

12. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    One of the most powerful scenes in the movie.

13. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    It can't be said enough... brilliant scene, in the overall brilliant Tatooine sequence.

Again, the visual/aural elements are so important... Anakin jumping from the cliff, the color of the sky, the emotional punch of the soundtrack.

I don't believe what Shmi said was strange at all. It's not out of the realm of possibility that she would be able to summon the strength to say an entire sentence to her son, even if it was "My grown up son, you look so handsome." It took all the strength she had... afterwards she could barely tell him "I love you." And I find it interesting that she tells him how handsome he is, it serves a purpose in the greater scheme of things... I believe the more times we hear that Anakin is a young, preternaturaly talented, and handsome man, helps magnify the tragedy of him turning to the dark side.

If anything they way her head flops back when she dies is a little melodramatic. But I suppose that's the point.

I also agree that the right amount of Tusken slaughter was shown. And you don't necessarily realize that he killed everyone until he confesses it to Padme. I think that's really important.

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    i wish only Liam Neeson has returned to do some new dialogue, instead of recycling his voice from TPM, for this is my only gripe with this scene. besides that, this scene is absolutely wonderful. great acting by Hayden, and this where Anakin finally goes off the deep end & begins his descent into becoming Darth Vader.

15. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Some of the Saga's best acting and undoubtedly Hayden's best scene.

Shmi's head looks weird, but then I thought "well, if I died lying in that position, wouldn't my head fall back?" Never really bothered me.

I don't really understand those who actively wanted the Tusken slaughter. I don't know if we've become so accustomed to gruesome violence that we miss it if it's not in the scene...I hope that's not true.

Anyway, I really like the cut in that scene - Anakin's gaze seems almost robotic, as if he's removed all traces of humanity from himself.

In terms of Qui-Gon's voice, that definitely came out of left field.

Here's a theory of mine:

The AOTC novelization says that Yoda has to peer through the veil of the Dark Side in order to see into the future.

So if he's peering through the veil whilst Anakin is tapping into the Dark Side when slaughtering the Tuskens, is it possible that Qui-Gon's voice is coming from the future?

16. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    I think that this is the most emotional scene in the movie and with the best acting. The look on Anakin's face when he tries to tell his mom "stay with me mom, everything is going to..." it's just so real and tragic for him!

17. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    *pokes head into discussion* Quite true, leelee, and the thing that always gets me about that moment.... (though, you know....I'm dissolving in tears through this whole scene anyway, what with Anakin's pain and desperation hitting me hard, with sheerly physical force....oh, how he's suffering, the poor dear - and how I'd do anything to spare him that suffering!) ....well, it's in the fact that he can't even finish saying the words - his voice breaks, his lips maybe shape what he wishes he had the strength to say, but he's just so much the pitifully heartbroken, scared, lost and alone little boy at that moment....the boy who for so long could seek comfort and solace in the arms of his mother....and now he was with her again, but this time he was the one holding her, trying in vain to provide any comfort - and there was of course no solace to be had for him then....not anymore.

It's that small, almost broken-sounding little whimper or tiny noise of pure, unutterable pain and grief that he makes then, as his voice breaks and he just can't find the words anymore....how he can't tell her that everything's going to be alright, though you *know* that's what he wants to say....just as he wants even more to be able to believe it himself....and then the way that his face twists like he's fighting back a storm of stricken, piteous tears....oh, your heart just goes out to him so completely in that moment - through the whole thing, obviously! - simply because....when someone can't even find the words like that, when all desperate voice and pleading is denied them....when they look like he does then, and sound like he does....it tears at your heart, moves you to tears, and you'd do *anything* to spare him this kind of pain and grief. It's far, *far* more than anyone should ever have to endure....

Also....the sheen of tears that you can see in his eyes, as she dies....and even afterwards, when he glares up from her body and looks utterly transformed by rage, hatred and such pain, terrible pain - and your heart still twists in agony and sympathy for him, even as his obvious, terrifying rage and hatred just make you flinch and gasp....well, even then, the sheen of tears remains in his eyes. And it's all the more piteously heartbreaking for that, I think....such a seemingly simple thing, perhaps, yet it conveys a world of torment and grief, and the hurting of a soul that is, in that moment, beyond all comfort....beyond all reason....who more than anything, just wants the pain to stop. *sob* Wah!

Dawn.

18. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Nov 14, 2004
    Beautifully articulated, Qui-Dawn. It is quite clear that Hayden is in full command of the character in this scene, which is obviously one of the most powerful in the movie. However, I must disagree to some extent with GARTH_MAUL's comments - as strong as Hayden is in this sequence, it isn't representative of his strongest acting in the film. As one of three people who believes that Hayden actually gives a great performance in the movie, and arguably one of richest in the entire "Star Wars" saga, I would suggest that the confession scene contains his deepest, most emotionally complex acting.

HookLineAndSinker - Good job in pointing out Lucas' reference to "The Searchers" by John Ford. It is so evocative that for a moment I thought that Natalie Wood was about to pop up.;)

On another note, it's quite interesting to realize that most of the Tusken Camp was created and photographed as a miniture model which was later composited with the live-action and digital effects footage. Hmmmmm.......

19. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I didn't say the confession scene was bad, now did I?

But it's a scene of emotional release - Anakin gets to be angry, regretful, resentful and upset.

The scene with Shmi, however (IMHO) contains more subtle acting by Hayden - him biting his lip, the tears in his eyes.

The best part is when (I can't remember the exact quotes) he tries to tell her something and then she speaks and he immediately stop talking. "Stay with me, mom".

Very real.

20. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Nov 14, 2004
    I didn't suggest that you thought that the confession scene was bad, GARTH_MAUL, and I apologize if the ideas and thoughts in my previous post were presented in a manner which carried connotations that led you to believe that I did. I agree with you, the scene in question is excellent. You are correct in stating that Hayden is faced with a more challenging task of conveying several emotional states within a very short period of time, using very little dialogue. In that sense it is more subtle. The confession scene is more obvious and melodramatic, I suppose, and Hayden has more of a dramatic "apparatus" with which to work, making it less of a technical achievement.

21. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Great scene, even if the "Nooooo" is a little distracting since its not clear who the voice is supposed to be, it sounds nothing like Qui-Gon.

22. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    "Nooooooooooo" is Yoda

Excellent scene, one of the most haunting in all of Star Wars so far

23. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    "Nooooooo" is a gamorrean who's run out of donuts.

Star Wars is six, two and one
    /LM

24. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    a gamorrean who's run out of donuts.

"More seductive, the darkside is" [face_thinking]

25. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Precisely :)

Star Wars is six, two and one