main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC Chapter 37: Emergency Powers DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Until the release of ROTS on 5/19/05, I would like to discuss AOTC chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: Attack of the Clones and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 37: Emergency Powers
    DISCUSSION: February 15, 2005 - February 19, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 93:34 - 95:22

Synopsis:
    Night lies over the Galactic Senate. Mace Windu enters the Senate Rotunda, prepared to listen in on an important session. There Master Yoda awaits his presence. Jar Jar tells the Senate what has conspired over the past few days and requests that the Senate give emergency powers to Palpatine. The Gungan is proud of himself as everyone cheers. Mas Amedda calls for order before Palpatine speaks. Palpatine has reluctantly agreed to this. He loves democracy and the Republic. Palpatine assures the Senate that he will lay down the emergency powers when the crisis has abated. With this new authority, he announces the creation of a clone army to fight the Separatists. Everyone cheers. Yoda and Mace discuss what they will do after hearing Palpatine's announcement. Yoda will go to Kamino. Mace will go to Geonosis and leaves the chamber. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    The last chapter before the final act sets up a major plot point for the rest of the Saga. Palpatine executes his next step into achieving ultimate domination over the galaxy. But now he only has emergency powers.

When I saw this back in 02, I did not like the idea of a single Coruscant scene so late in the movie. We had a half an hour of Coruscant to open the film and here we are again for a small, yet important scene. This truly is the beginning of the end of the Republic. All Palpatine does in this scene is lie straight through this teeth, manipulating every single person possible.

The crisis will never abate, well until the end of ROTJ technically. And the fact that he will create a grand army for the Republic is just preposterous. He did not order the army nor create it. Sifo-Dyas order the army, not Palpatine. I do like however, that Mace and Yoda's dialogue prepares the viewer for the final act. But the thing that strikes me is that the Jedi are in Palpatine's arena.

Very good chapter. The more I see it, the more I like it. This is just one chapter that will make so much of an impact in the future films chronologically. It's truly a three step process throughout the films to rule the galaxy. Excellent chapter.

2. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Don't have much else to say other than that I really like this scene.

McDiarmid delivers the best Palpatine-scene of the movie and just reeks evilness.

3. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    First and foremost, Im captivated when Mace (in all his self-assured walking style) comes from the hall (which is just about fully CGI but flawless) to the Senate chambers. Most impressive! Then we can see what the small room looks like just before entering. Love the instrumentation/screens and the like. Whereas these parts of the Senate hall were not seen in TPM.

So Mace relaxes himself against the black wall and acknowledges Yoda with a mutual nod. Jar Jar is talking, explaining clearly that the TF and the Separatists are playing dangerous. The whole Senate as it seems pleasantly listens to Jar Jar?s proposal and cheers the suggestion, everyone?s excited.

Palpatine, looking partly saddened (as it were), stands up to acknowledge the cheers and lies right through his teeth, the bull about his love for the Republic and Democracy.. He?s got his mandate which make his line about reluctance dripping with irony, and everyone seems to go along with it as he announces his First Act (probably of many).

Now, what is most intriguing (well it had to happen eventually) is Palpatine?s voice, is at a higher pitch when he says ?the power you give me?. Its like he?s metamorphosing into something else, surely sounds familiar could it be the Emperor from ROTJ? Hmm. [face_devil].

And the fact that he will create a grand army for the Republic is just preposterous. He did not order the army nor create it. Sifo-Dyas order the army, not Palpatine.

Yes. I believe this is the work of the Darkside, able to camouflage itself, whereby the manipulation of the Force is at work here. The Jedi go along with it. ?It is done then? ?visit I will these Cloners on Kamino and see this Army they have built for the Republic?.

The alarming part is that the situation is calling for it. Insidious, but subtle. The Darkside?s victory is imminent.

4. Tatooine_Fireman

Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    I loved seeing the Senate chamber at night, because Coruscant looks at its best when it's night.

The scene itself was ok, but I feel Jar Jar's voice was just a bit out of place in the Senate. Makes me wonder what he would've sound like using "diplo dialect". :p
    I loved Palpatine's little speech, it just has sarcasm written all over it, especially "I love democracy, I love the Republic".

What I don't like about the Senate scenes from AOTC, is that they used footage from TPM, so we see mostly the same angles, and the same aliens. Also, when the Senate applauds and cheers, you can see a Quarren Senator dressed in red, but this Senator (Tikkes, I think) was also present during the Separatist meeting a few scenes before. These are the kinds of sloppy things that I don't like.

5. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    I love the line........"It is done then."

6. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Why didn't someone shoot Jar Jar in Episode I ?!
    That was the worst mistake in the entire saga, stupid Gungan [face_frustrated]

7. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    I have to agree with Tatooine_Fireman - that exterior shot of the Senate building on Coruscant at night is absolutely magnificent. Whenever I watch "Attack of the Clones", I am astounded by its beauty. I also enjoy the tracking shot which occurs inside the building as Mace Windu walks over to join Yoda in the private balcony which looks out upon the senate - it's a neat little way to transition to the more important political debate which occurs, by introducing it to us through the perspective of some familiar characters.

Although his role in the film is somewhat brief, Ian McDiarmid is seemingly without peer in scenes such as the one in question. Listen to the masterful way that he delivers the line, "As my first act, I will create a grand army of the republic, to counter the increasing threats of the seperatists." Wonderful stuff. While his actions are integral to the plot, Jar-Jar's appearance here is essentially of the throwaway variety, which is probably a good thing, due to the fact that many fans would like to "throw" something at him.

We are introduced to further labyrinthine political scheming, something that I have quite enjoyed thus far in the prequels, and, as it has already been stated by others in this thread, the beginning of the end for the republic. Palpatine's statement of "creating the Army of the Republic" is something that I took as meaning that he was officially bestowing that title upon the Clones, who up to that point, were not formally ordained as an "Army" in a political manner or venue. The entire Sifo-Dyas matter is a convoluted affair which is supposedly contrived by the grand puppetmaster, Palpatine/Sidious, and will apparently be explained in the forthcoming prequel. In this scene, Palpatine simply uses the political forum to legalize his army.

8. Wesyeed

Wesyeed Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 5, 2005
    Hopefully we will find out who ordered the clones for the republic.

But onto the chapter review: Note-much of what's been said I whole-heartedly agree with.

Ian's perfomance is magnificent. It made me feel like I was still sprawled across the living room couch on a hot summer day watching RotJ, back when things were different, the world a less fearful place. He exudes such devilish charisma voicing his concern for a world he wants to destroy. Perfect.

Jar Jar.... Hmmm.... the guy's a tool. I hear the point that he represents the common people in how they are all easily manipulated, but for the sake of objectivity, putting all little themes or the like aside, what else was he to this film but a tool? The concept of the jar jar binks character is a good one. He's the han solo of the PT, the exact opposite of our heros, a reluctant hero if you will. It's the execution that faultered, not to mention making him a horse-faced CGI alien species that we humans can not so easily relate to. It's difficult to draw a conclusion on whether his character has been good for both these beginning chapters because on one hand, he takes us to the gungan city so the heros can get going on their journey (should have left him there. Nass was only kidding about killing him, being clumbsy shouldn't be grounds for a death sentence..c'mon) Now he has indirectly brought about the deaths of billions of people. Wow...

Powerful scene.

9. Star_Wars_Freak_2006

Star_Wars_Freak_2006 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    Also, when the Senate applauds and cheers, you can see a Quarren Senator dressed in red, but this Senator (Tikkes, I think) was also present during the Separatist meeting a few scenes before.

Actually, the senator seen in the Senate was Tundra Dowmeia, elected after Tikkes separated.

10. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    wow star wars freak - amazing detail-
    agree with both moleman and tyranus - the senate at night gorgeous but familiar not unlike a vast sports arena. and setting up the final act.
    ian is such an oily snake, so reluctant to take on this heavy burden. "creating" a grand army of the republic said within earshot of mace and yoda: shouldn't that obvious lie have provoked a reaction? IMHO jar jar is the fall guy here, not unlike padme amidala in phantom who essentially spoke palps words that he had whispered to her: a no confidence vote for the chancellor. hey, they've all been played by the master puppeteer - and patience is certainly one of his strenghts. years and years - decades, heck centuries in standard time. what a chess player.

11. qui_gon_jinn_83

qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    I really like this scene.

When I first watched the scene, I think Ian was overacting a bit (and I still think), but I believe it is necessary to establish the Palpatine/Sidious thing which will be revealed at some point or another.
    Also, Ian is a fantastic actor, so I cannot help but love the way he delivers his lines, even if they are "slightly over the top".

I was really saddened to see that Jar Jar gets manipulated here. I wasn't the greatest fan of him (though I by no means dislike him), but he's such a good-hearted character. And I think it was very sad to see how proud he is of making this big decision, which will lead to the end of the republic.
    I think it is heartbreaking, and pretty powerful.

I also think Yoda looks fantastic in this scene. Yodas CGI quality kind of changes throughout the movie (at least I think so), and this here is one of the best I think. I really, really buy that he is actually there. Fantastic job!

12. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I love this scene in the film, it gets me all swarmy and fuzzy inside :p

I remember seeing this opening night and everyone just chuckled sardonically at Palpatine's declaration of his "love" for the Republic. His lines were delivered with such bland sincerity that they just WORK. If he had put more gushing emotion into the words, I think the Jedi might've suddenly suspected him of something. He almost seemed humble. It's amazing how much Ian can emotionally convey with just a few lines of dialogue.

Poor Jar-Jar, I always feel sorry for him in this film. Everyone hates him as is, and then he's conveniently used as a tool to end Democracy forever :(

It's just further proof why gun-guns should stay underwater I guess.

13. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    This begins the true downfall of the Republic.

14. openmind

Jan 23, 2003
    And I think it was very sad to see how proud he is of making this big decision, which will lead to the end of the republic.

Yes he's proud, but also believes in Palpatine. See him nod when Palps says he loves the Republic and Democracy. It was a temporary measure, but Palps will not let that happen, would he?

15. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I was laughing in the cinema when Palps expressed his love for democracy and the republic.

and another thing, where did the Senators think he was going to get the army from/ They don;t just come out of nowhere.

Hopefully we will find out who ordered the clones for the republic.

This is explained in Labyrinth of Evil and the answer pretty isn't surprising. I won't tell, but if you want to know PM me

16. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    The Sith have triumphed...almost.

17. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I agree that Coruscant looks best at night. Palpatine has emergency powers and now an army at his disposal. Well another army that is. :p

I liked how Jar Jar Binks ended up playing such a key part in the Republics downfall. It felt like justification for him being shoved down our throats in TPM. At least his character ended up doing something significant. Perfect that is was a bad deed.

One thing I dislike about this scene are the Senators. Why did we need another Quarren Senator? Tikkes is at the separatist meeting so they give us Tundra Dowmeia. Po Nudo the Aqualish is at the CIS meeting so they give us Gorothin Vagger. It's redundant, retarded, etc. Even the shot of the Rodians again wasn't needed. There are thousands of pods. New aliens wouldn't hurt. Or at least if you're going to show the same old, make them not of the same species as the separatist Senators. For variety.

18. Tatooine_Fireman

Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    One thing I dislike about this scene are the Senators. Why did we need another Quarren Senator? Tikkes is at the separatist meeting so they give us Tundra Dowmeia. Po Nudo the Aqualish is at the CIS meeting so they give us Gorothin Vagger. It's redundant, retarded, etc. Even the shot of the Rodians again wasn't needed. There are thousands of pods. New aliens wouldn't hurt. Or at least if you're going to show the same old, make them not of the same species as the separatist Senators. For variety.

Agreed.
    What I don't understand is, if those worlds have left the Republic, how come they still have a representative in the Senate? Now we see a Quarren Senator in the Senate, and a Quarren Separatist in the Separatist meeting. [face_worried]

19. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Does that mean Mon Calamari was part of the Seperatists? I wonder how the mon Cal thought about that.

The planet is pretty far out from the Core

20. Hades2021

Hades2021 Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2003
    Awesome, awesome scene. Ian proves how good of an actor he is. And Palpatine proves how good of an actor he is. ;)

And I thought politicians on Earth were bad liars...

21. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I agree with HLAS, I wanted to see a variety of aliens damnit! Anyway, Jar-Jar finally does something important & I'm glad Lucas lets Jar-Jar be the one who gives Palpatine what he wants. Ian again is fantastic, especially with "I love democracy, I love the Republic". Courscant again looks great at night & the Jedi are on their way to get some business finished. :D

22. The-Clone-Wars

The-Clone-Wars Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2002
    Well, overall it was a great scene. But two things concern me:

1) Jar Jar saying "Dellow Fellagetes" in what is supposed to be a professional and respectable setting, the Galactic Senate.

and

2) It just doesn't seem clear to me if the Senator's are supposed to vote the Chancellor Emeregency Powers or if he just says "Okay, somebody suggests it, now I'm gonna take them." Aren't people saying "Vote now in the background," yet there is no vote. Palpatine proceeds to take use of powers that haven't even been granted him immediately.

23. openmind

Jan 23, 2003
    how come they still have a representative in the Senate? Now we see a Quarren Senator in the Senate, and a Quarren Separatist in the Separatist meeting.

How come Leia is in the Imperial Senate and also part of the Rebel Alliance? o_O :cool:

24. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    How come Leia is in the Imperial Senate and also part of the Rebel Alliance?

There's a difference.

If your planet formally declared that it was a member of the rebellion in ANH, your planet would be invaded. Thus Senator Leia Organa was still a member of the Imperial Senate. But in ANH, she was fingered out as being part of the rebel alliance and a traitor to the Empire. We saw what they did to her world.

With AOTC, they were separatists. When their planets left the Republic, they lost representation in the senate. But they were not invaded or threatened. The point about the two Quarrens is that visually, people see Tikkes and they say, his world left the republic. They see Tundra Dowmeia and say "I thought he was a separatist." They don't think "Oh he must be repesenting the Quarren colony world of Oooba Dooba Prime." Out of the thousands of pods, it would be have been easiest to just show another alien race and visually better.

Thankfully for ROTS, Tundra Dowmeia is in and Tikkes is not to prevent confusion. There was alot of doubles going around in AOTC. Something Lucas decided to remedy for ROTS. No Adi Gallia and Stass Allie. Just Stass Allie. No Gorothin Vagger and Po Nudo. Just Po Nudo.

25. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    I also think Yoda looks fantastic in this scene. Yodas CGI quality kind of changes throughout the movie (at least I think so), and this here is one of the best I think. I really, really buy that he is actually there. Fantastic job!

Agreed. I think the lighting is the biggest factor, and in this scene, he looks absolutely perfect.

One thing bugs me about this scene: when we see clapping but don't hear it. IIRC, there's a shot towards the end where the camera pulls back and you can see nearly everyone in the Senate clapping but you don't hear it at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.