main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC Chapter 39: Love Pledge DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Until the release of ROTS on 5/19/05, I would like to discuss AOTC chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: Attack of the Clones and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 39: Love Pledge
    DISCUSSION: February 25, 2005 - March 1, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 102:39 - 105:07

Synopsis:
    The Geonosian Arena is bustling. In a small dark alcove, Anakin and Padme are chained to an execution cart. Anakin tells her not to be afraid. Padme says she's not afraid to die, since she's been dying a little bit each day since he's come back into her life. The padawan is confused. Padme confesses her love for Anakin. Anakin thought they decided to not fall in love or be forced to live a lie since it would destroy both of their lives. Padme says that they'll be destroyed now. She truly, deeply loves him. The two kiss and are pulled out slowly into the arena, where thousands of Geonosians await their fate. Obi-Wan watches the two as he is chained to a pole. They are led off the cart and taken to their respective poles. Padme pulls a wire out of her belt and places it in her mouth, before being chained. Anakin reports to his master, who gives him a sarcastic thataboy. Without any trouble, the Geonosians chain Anakin and Padme to adjacent poles. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    If the Tusken Camp was the start of Anakin's downfall, Padme confessing her love in this chapter was her downfall. A nice soft chapter bringing the lengthy relationship almost full-circle in such a pivotal moment of the film.

First of all, what a good chapter. Padme must have had some nerve to say that she's dying because of Anakin and yet loves him. It's the first genuine kiss, not some stolen kiss like on Naboo, but one that has some backstory to it. Both Natalie and Hayden do excellent jobs in this scene. Not wooden at all, despite what many thought with some of the Naboo scenes.

The road to execution is well done. Across the Stars is perfectly incorporated. First soft, then booming, just like Duel of the Fates from Phantom Menace. The wire for Padme is a bit cliche, but works. ...and Obi-Wan's "Good Job" is something I just love. I work it into a conversation if I want to be sarcastic. Works well with the character.

I liked the chapter. Some loose threads from the Droid Factory, but can be forgiven with such a beautiful scene. Just a damn good scene right before get right into the opening final battle on Geonosis.

2. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    There might be an intended parallel drawn to Jesus of Nazereth here.

Anakin being excuted with two other criminals on either side of him.

3. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Nice chapter. Romantic.

4. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I must admit I was surprised at Padme when I first saw this, even though logically it would have to happen sometime. There's actually a draft of the script where this scene is much longer, and it has some nice dialog in it. Unfortunately they kept the "I truly, deeply love you" in, which in my opinion is the worst line in the entire movie... and I'm a defender of Lucas' dialog in general. I wish they could have lingered on the kiss a bit longer.

Of course clever Padme has a backup plan with the wire, it's definitely something borrowed from adventure serials. And I love the exchange between Obi-Wan and Anakin.. it totally sums up their relationship.

5. KMG-365

KMG-365 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2005
    I know some of the critics lambasted this scened saying that Padme's declaration of love to Anakin was unexpected and uncharacteristic. I don't. Padme' truly thought this was the end. She could drop the facade and finally admit her feelings. A well done scene.

And the dialog between Anakin and Ben was one of my favorite parts of the trailer when it first aired. I thought "now this is Star Wars!"

6. Aiwendil

Aiwendil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    I love the moment when they emerge into the arena. The movement from darkness into light, from a small, quite place into a vast area filled with cheering Geonosians, is an excellent moment. It's particularly impressive when you consider that the arena is completely CG.

7. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I also love the moment where they kiss and enter the arena with thousands of Geonosians cheering their coming death. That and the music.

I wasn't too impressed with the acting. Especially by Portman. But oh well.

Too bad the mock trial was cut just before this. I liked the idea of it and the other separatists seated in jury fashion. :p

8. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I liked the music and the kiss but for Padme sounding like she's doomed wasn't it way to easy for her to get out?

9. KMG-365

KMG-365 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2005
    I liked the music and the kiss but for Padme sounding like she's doomed wasn't it way to easy for her to get out?

Had the Jedi and the clone army not arrived, they would have been killed.

10. Padlei

Padlei Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2003
    True... I love this scene. Funny thing is that the first time I saw it, I rolled my eyes at Padmé's "I truly, deeply love you" line... :p But it grew on me with subsequent viewings and now I really like the whole operatic feeling...

I disagree with the acting. I think it's Natalie Portman's best acting moment of the film. It really sounded true and the way she says it, huskily, really adds to the scene.
    And of course the way the camera is angled, the whole Across the Stars blazing as they come into the arena. And let's not forget Obi Wan's stare and subsequent sarcastic reply... ;) One of my favorite scenes. Though I also wonder why they cut from the kiss...

11. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I expected to see more members complaining about the lack of the trial scene. I myself think that it was a good cut. Now that we know that such a scene existed we notice the abrupt transition between the droid factory and the arena, but prior to seeing the deleted scene, I had no idea that anything was missing.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

12. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    There might be an intended parallel drawn to Jesus of Nazereth here.

No. Just.....no.

13. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Agree with you Devil, Padme and Obi-Wan are far from criminals.

Love this scene, especially Anakin's line:

"I thought we had decided not to fall in love, that we would be force to live a lie, and that it would destroy our lives."

This line has so much in it as you can't 'decide' not to fall in love, it just HAPPENS and there's nothing you can do about it.
    and i beleive in the end the lie that they are married destroys Padme and Anakin, as GL said that Padme realises that these kinda relationships can be destructive.

I can repeat the dialogue word for word with only the music as a guide, and I LOVE how the music swells just as they are going out into the arena.

Then there's Obi-Wan's characteristic dryness

14. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    The acting is fine here.

The camera angles are great, and I like the Roman Gladiator-esque feeling of the Geonosis arena.

Portman's line is absolutely terrible though, it sounds way too much like that Savage Garden song from a while back.

Obi-Wan as brilliant as ever, I wish he was sarcastic more often. 8-}

From the time they enter the Arena to the end credits, AOTC was awesome.

15. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    [face_love] I love this scene and I think the acting is just fine. I love the look on Anakin's face when she says it. He is so surprised and really happy at the same time

16. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    I also love this scene. Although my favourite is Anakin confessing what he did to the Tuskens. I didnt care much for NP's acting. Mainly just her voice, it sounds like she has a cold or something.

Kind of tragic how Anakin was willing to give her up "Your right, it would destroy us", then she goes and basically says "seeing as we are about to die, why not fall in love". Sadly no turning back once the danger is over.

The shot of them exiting the alcove into the arena is my favourite of the scene, good music and effects. I often wonder how Obi Wan could have missed that kiss.

17. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I felt even more propelled to actually admire the whole scene. One in particular Anakin's reaction, just done really well.

Two, how Padme looks at him and how it appears she actually embarrassed (watch her eyes blinking-realistic moment IMO) when Anakin puts her in a corner : "I thought we decided not to fall in love. That we would be forced to live a lie, and that it would destroy our lives".

No qualms about the acting whatsoever. Padme also looks like she can't wait to give Anakin a kiss :cool: Watch her eyebrows in particular.

18. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    Yes I notice how her eyeline kept moving down towards his lips. That part looks realistic.

19. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    never understood the criticism of this scene - feels very genuine from both actors. they've had the time on naboo to discover each other and their relationship and on padme's part to deny it until there is no longer reason to, since they are both heading for execution. and before they die - well, now, padme wants anakin to know. the music is just stunning as they are pulled into the arena. one of the williams' best musical moments.
    whew - now need to break from that emotional moment to practicality - resourceful padme anticipates always. the interaction between obiwan and anakin and their dialogue is sarcastic/apologetic perfection.

20. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    I thought this was a highly charged scene. I liked how they were in the dark, ready to go into the blinding light, while they were in silence. The decleration seemed to be a relief to Padme to finally say how she felt-I thought both actors did a great job. Anakin's surprise and wonder was marvelous and very in character.

I am a huge fan of Obi Wan and Anaki's interaction and indeed I do agree it kinda summed up their relationship- a sense of playfulness and exasperation but a great deal of love for each other, they know each other well enough to tease each other in that way. Anakin's attempt at smiling at Obi Wan while he was being led out was funny, kinda like 'master it's not really my fault' and just the way Obi Wan looks up at his chains and says 'Nice job' and Anakin looks away is hilarious.

21. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    The dialogue is as mushy and corny as ever, but at this point, that's standard fare for these two. :p The kiss is actually one of my favorite kiss scenes in all of the movies, very dramatic in the like. It has alot of the tension that Leia/Han's head, just not in the same way. I can accept Padme's declaration of love only because she strikes me as the type to hold back until the last moment.

What really empowers the scene, though, is les sthe actors and more the music. John Williams score is nicely played here as they enter the stage, and brings alot of emotional suspense to a scene that ultimately has little true suspense story-wise (knowing who they are, none of them can die, eh?).

I will say there are some great details here. The Geonosians are all very well animated, the setting is very reminiscent of the Roman gladiator arenas. Nice detail catch on Lucas' part to add a fourth column - as many movies will only have enough setup for the people captured. I am a bit sad that we didn't get the humor of having R4 captured and tied up, but I can see why Lucas may have felt that "over the top."

22. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I agree Chaotic Serenity. Having more columns than needed for the execution add such a realism. It's a minor detail, but you hit the nail right on the head.

23. Hades2021

Hades2021 Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2003
    One of my favorite scenes ever. Absolutely beautiful piece of art. The visuals and music both rival each other in greatness.

24. anakins_right_arm

anakins_right_arm Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2005
    definatly my favorite scene in the movie... after the elevator scene at the beguining.. but i just with anakin and padme continued to kiss as they were rolling out into the arena.. cause if they thought they were gunna die.. why not go out with as much love as possible?

25. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Cuz Obi-Wan might see them and the last thing before they want before they die would be Obi-Wan's lectures. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.