main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC Chapter 8: Into the Club DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    I really like this scene it reminds me of when Obi-wan and Luke went into the Cantina. Obi-wan does at the Club what he did in the Cantina. I just think it cool how both scenes seem to go hand and hand.

2. MoD-Sith

MoD-Sith Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2003
    i really like the huge jedi mind trick anakin does near the end of this scene, it just shows how powerful he actually is.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I really like this scene it reminds me of when Obi-wan and Luke went into the Cantina. Obi-wan does at the Club what he did in the Cantina. I just think it cool how both scenes seem to go hand and hand.

Or severed hand in severed hand...? ;)

Ah Club scene, how I love thee! In my opinion, this scene couldn't have been done better. There's all the foreshadowing and parallelism which of course is great. Then you get the whole Obi-Wan/Anakin dynamic down pat. Obi-Wan is cool, confident, and patient.

And we are shown how much that has influenced Anakin. He's very above all this being a Jedi, you know, and thinks himself utterly the Man. As it turns out, Obi-Wan shows where experience and patience wins out over youthful exhubrance. But it's all right, because we get to see that Anakin's in a troubled learning stage.

The death sticks bit is still great. I love Obi-Wan's little satisfied nod afterwards and then throwing back his drink. This scene reinforced for me the idea of Obi-Wan that GL talks about in the OT annotated screenplays- he's James Bond. Minus the women, of course ;) "TELL US NOW" is an awesome little character moment for Anakin.

Overall, this scene is wonderfully acted, perfectly characterised, and beautifully shot. The pacing of the scene is great, the music is great, the relation to the OT is great. The cameos are great, too! I love seeing Tony and Ahmed (sure, say what you want about Jar-Jar and I might join in, but Ahmed seems like a swell guy).

Basically, I love this scene ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. a2dmusic

a2dmusic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    Good scene for all the reasons already mentioned - only one thing bothers me... the camera lingers too long on some of the cameo shots. It doesn't flow naturally, and cut when it should, so it tells the viewer that we should be seeing something important. Unfortunatley, it's not important - it's Lucas's daughter.

(not that I'm saying GL's daughter is unimportant - at least to Lucas! But it's not important to the scene, the plot, the flow of action, or the film in any way, and the lingering camera shot proves to be a distraction. Let's face it, if it wasn't AD, AB, and Miss Lucas, those shots would be shorter).

5. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Tell us NOW was our very first glimpse into what Anakin was becoming in AOTC. It made me jump out of my seat in the theater first time I saw it.

6. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    One aspect that hasn't been talked about is the two aliens in front of the club that go back and forth and try to do some kind of promotion. The Bith and I forget the other species, he's also in the cantina.

At first I didn't like it, but it adds more to the scene in terms of details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.