main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC Commercials: Official Reaction Thread (NO SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by PaulBannister, Apr 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulBannister

PaulBannister Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2001
    Anyone else this line is really cheesy and stupid? I am hoping that I am hearing it wrong and he is saying "This Part Is over"
    What does everyone think?

2. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I think that I wish I would have had an oppertunity to see these two new commercials. I tried to download them from TFN, but they didn't work for me....

:cool: Mace Windy,
    windier than the signature feature!

3. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    EDIT

If you've seen them, post your thoughts here
    Uhhh close too if you want?

I've seen both of them so far. I call them 'Party' and 'No Anakin!' based on the main new lines found in them.

Party
    Focuses mainly on the action and (strangely) Mace Windu. I like it well enough. It shows more action, but doesn't give the movie any new feel that wasn't covered in Clone War. Jango's line sounded very sinister. I would think he's talking to Obi-Wan still. Does this come before or after the fight?
    More shots from the areana and a nice line from Mace. Good to get you pumped.

No Anakin!
    This is my favorite. I really love how they use the music for it! It gives the whole spot an epic feel. This movie is taking itself more seriously than TPM and it shows. The whole spot really focuses on Anakin which I love! I wish they could've done one of the trailers like this. . . (though I loved the trailers). I realized they didn't have the music ready just yet but still. . .
    Before I was convinced nothing could give a SW more a more epic feel than the closing moments of the ESB credits. AtS does that on a much more epic scale. The visuals and everything scream SW, but combined with the music it whispers something. . . bigger.
    I'm only a little disappointed because now my expectations have officially gone through the roof and it may not live up to them! lol
    But. . . I dunno! The whole thing was just great

4. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    maybe we should create '***The Official*** Commercial Reaction Thread (No Spoilers)'.

5. Mace Windy

Jul 3, 1999
    Are your links different from those at TFN Len?

6. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    they were different, but when I tried them after I posted, they didn't work.
    Do you have AIM, Windy?

7. Mace Windy

Jul 3, 1999
    "maybe we should create '***The Official*** Commercial Reaction Thread'."

Nah. Lets just have Paul, or one of our admins rename the title of this thread.....

8. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Good idea about the thread Gay-Len :)

EDIT
    Wasn't that good of an idea :p

9. Qey Santim

Qey Santim Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 1999
    Horrible line...but Mace could be speaking more truth than he realizes.

Hearing that line caused me to shudder almost as much as the dialogue between Obi Wan and Anakin featured in the ET clip (I won't say anymore than that for the hard core unspoiled).

Writing? Terrible! Acting? Terrible!

This REALLY causes me concern. I mean, if these are the bits that "they" WANT us to see, what is in store for the rest of the film?

In both cases, neither seems like "traditional" Star Wars dialogue. Please, don't ask me to define that...either it has the right "vibe" or it doesn't...and these two examples DO NOT resonate right with me.

Will I still see the film? Of course, but I am really getting concerned about the overall quality.

The acting has never been "brilliant" in Star Wars, but it has never been dreadful either. I'm truly fearing that it could be in AOTC. I hope I'm wrong.

What say ye???

10. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    I say you shoudln't go see the movie - or else you shouldn't be surprised if you don't like the acting and the writing.

11. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    It'll seem better after you see the context it fits with.

Sam rocks! :D

ST

12. Count_Draku

Count_Draku Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    Mark Hamill's acting in all three Star Wars movies was pretty bad. "That's not true! That's iMpOssIble!" is a good example. Once you've seen the movies a million times the bad lines end up sounding normal, I suppose. I imagine the "bad dialogue" you hear in AOTC will eventually grow on you.

13. Qey Santim

Jul 11, 1999
    Darth 23 et al,

As I said...I will still see the film no matter what.

Soooo, it doesn't bother anyone else? Ok.

Yes, Mark's acting wasn't brilliant...as I said, the acting in SW never really has been...but using contemporary phrases like "This party's over." is something else....something much worse.

I can't think of a single exchange of dialogue in the OT that rivals the awkwardness in the ET clip between Obi and Anakin.

but COUNT DRAKU, you may very well be right about me getting used to it after seeing it several times. It's just a shame that one has to get used to the bad acting at all.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm just glad Sam THE MAN Jackson gets at least one badass line- nice closer for the TV spot::)

The Anakin one is much better though, very epic and serious feel to it. I'll watch that one more often but it's time to extract that Mace line to a wav::)

15. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Ya, so was:

Luke: Moving rocks around is one thing, this is totally different

There's always been dialogue like that.

ST

16. Qey Santim

Jul 11, 1999
    ST

Can you site some examples that were said in dead seriousness, like Mace delivered his line?

No TPM quotes, please.

17. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    "Look at the size of that thing!"

I flinch every time.

18. Darth_Darren

Darth_Darren Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2002
    Qey,

I don't like the line too much either. It is way too cheesy, and sounds too much like something a ten year old would put in. It ranks right up there with "this is soooooo wizard, Ani," and "YIPPEE!" But at least Sam delivers it well(?). But I did like the ET dialogue well enough.

I like the other spot, also. The music is good. I hope they use ATS more than they used Duel of the Fates in TPM.

19. Qey Santim

Jul 11, 1999
    Gay,

Hmmm...well, that one never bothered me. But I'm sure being a seven year old when first hearing it has something to do with that....and hearing old Mace's line as a 33 year old as something to do with my reaction to it as well.

Come to think of it, I think Wedge took the words right out of my seven year old mouth! Things seemed a lot bigger back then. :)

20. Count_Draku

Count_Draku Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    I can't comment on the scene between Anakin and Obi Wan because I haven't seen it. However, I think the problem you are having with "This party is over!" isn't that the acting is bad, but rather that it is Samuel L. Jackson delivering a line in a Samuel L. Jackson bad@ss way, rather than a Jedi Master-like way. Moreover, the line doesn't fit the context of the rest of the commercial. I think I'll suspend my verdict on the delivery of the line until after I've seen it in its proper context. Honestly, though, the line doesn't really bother me.

A lot of the writing/acting in TPM was so atrocious that it's hard for me to get upset about one or two lines in AOTC that sound bad.

As for the original trilogy here are some ridiculous lines that were delivered in dead seriousness, lines that made me cringe, and lines that didn't quite fit in the Star Wars Universe:
    "You look strong enough to pull the ears off a Gundar" (ridiculous line)
    "...scruffy looking nerf herder!" (ridiculous line)
    "I was going to Toshee station to pick up some power converters" (made me cringe)
    The entire Biggs/Luke scene inserted in the Special Edition (Classic BAD ACTING, but it's Special Edition so this example gets an *)
    Chewbacca screaming like Tarzan in ROTJ (made no sense for Star Wars)
    "Then I'll see you in Hell!" (Hell doesn't seem to fit with the Force)
    "You tell that pile of worm-ridden filth he'll get no such pleasure from us!" (ridiculous line)

I could go on...

21. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    Don't get me wrong, Wedge's line is classic SW. But it just really sounds odd to me, somehow. There is a lot of stuff in the OT that kinda cracks me up to see/hear people delivering such lines in a completely serious way. I think it's just the kind of dialog that GL is into.

22. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    So why can't a Jedi master be a badass? The whole mass Jedi fight is intended to show the audience just how badassed Jedi can be, despite the fact that they're "not soldiers." Jedi have the power to do many things that they normally refrain from but will do in a pinch, and kicking behind is one of them. I think it's an awesome line.

23. PaulBannister

PaulBannister Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2001
    Does anyone else think it is possible that he is saying "This Part is over". I am slowly convinving myself that is what he is saying out of wishful thinking.

24. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    "This part" of what? Mace isn't narrating the film.

25. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    THIS PARTY'S OVER :D :D :D

I just saw both commercials and I thought they were both great. I really enjoyed them, even though I think I'm getting too spoiled.

I really don't understand what some people are looking for, but I suspect that is ISN'T a Star Wars movie. (no offense).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.