main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC Defense Force

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Strilo , May 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Dawn, Moonstruck, thanks to you ladies, I'll input one more :)

Again, related to what has been mentioned, maybe getting tedious but anywho [face_devil]

Both C3PO and Obi Wan give reasons about their "fear of flying".

C3PO: "Im not worried R2, its just that Ive not flown before"

Obi Wan: "I don?t mind flying, but what you?re doing is suicide!?

Now, there is another thing but I?m not sure how to coordinate it. [face_thinking] However if I feel its worthwhile, I?ll give it a shot sometime.

2. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, mentioning that one line of Obi-Wan's....and then sort of correlating it, if you will, with his exclamation of "Blast, this is why I hate flying!" when Jango's shooting at him in the asteroid field - what one must be led to wonder then, I suppose....is whether it's not necessarily the flying in and of itself, even with its various hazards and trials, which sets him on edge....but as likely as not, it's rather flying anywhere with Anakin at the controls that gives him all the grey hair. ;) Of course, one would think that Obi-Wan would, by now, be more than used to it....all too familiar, indeed, with his Padawan's piloting exploits....since, well, for starters - the tone of voice in which he remarks, "I *hate* it when he does that!" as he watches Anakin dive from the speeder, dozens upon dozens of stories down, in pursuit of Zam - well, one gets the clear impression that it isn't the first time by far that Anakin has done such a thing....and freaked his poor master out in so doing. :D

Clearly, Obi-Wan can just never get truly used to Anakin's hair-raising attitudes, exploits and ventures....but surely he's got to at least resign himself to it at some point, right? :) Since it's clearly inevitable, no matter what he does....and there's obviously no changing Anakin's tempestuous attitudes and impulsive perspectives. And you know, in my purview, that really is only a good thing....'cause I wouldn't have our Ani any other way! :D

Dawn.

3. JediStarMoonstruck

JediStarMoonstruck Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2002
    I love both of those lines from Obi-Wan! :D

4. openmind

Jan 23, 2003
    Anybody home? :p

Something I noticed. When Anakin asks about his mother to C3PO, he says "we better get indoors" not mentioning anything further. While in ANH, when Luke and Obi Wan talk about a certain father, C3PO informs that he'll shut down.
    I guess he may know certain things but he rather not explain or hear any further. Hmmm. [face_thinking]

5. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    I've been checking this topic for quite a while now.

Can I join, or is it already kind of late for that?

6. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Never too late at all! :D Please, by all means, do join us....pull up a cozy chair, warm your feet by the fireplace....have some chocolate.... We're glad to have ya! :) The more the totally merrier to this party, is what I say....

Dawn.

7. JediStarMoonstruck

JediStarMoonstruck Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2002
    Anybody home?

Something I noticed. When Anakin asks about his mother to C3PO, he says "we better get indoors" not mentioning anything further. While in ANH, when Luke and Obi Wan talk about a certain father, C3PO informs that he'll shut down.
    I guess he may know certain things but he rather not explain or hear any further. Hmmm.

We're here, I'm just busy drowning in work. :p

I have to disagree. While I find it interesting that he does that, GL has already said that Threepio had his memory wiped for that period.

Now, Artoo, IMO, is another story. :p

I've been checking this topic for quite a while now.

Can I join, or is it already kind of late for that?

Yes! Come! For the Jedi, it is time to eat as well. :p *not sure where that came from*

Welcome BauconBatista! :) Going back four pages and you are Shadow 8. Welcome to the Squadron! :D

8. openmind

Jan 23, 2003
    I have to disagree. While I find it interesting that he does that, GL has already said that Threepio had his memory wiped for that period.

Its about time someone disagreed [face_devil]

Actually Im with you. GL already clarified, that's for sure. Maybe we could consider that since C3PO doesn't like telling stories, he rather keep quiet and let Cliegg handle the truth.

BauconBatista! Welcome to you. Anything that you'd like to discuss, discoveries, what not, looking forward to see your input. :)

9. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, yeah, and I'm also thinking that protocol droid or not, there were some things that he just couldn't handle....some situations that simply were not part of his programming, and thus, even he would be left rather adrift....I mean, really, how's he going to look his human Maker in the eye, the boy who is now quite the powerful Jedi at that, and see fit to inform him that while he was away, his mother was abducted....and was most likely already dead? Threepio may not be programmed to feel fear - at least, not as we know it, perhaps - but even he had to know that it was a conversation that could *not* possibly end well....and thus, it wasn't one that he had any intention of trying to start. Not a situation that even a protocol droid is programmed to cope with, I reckon....especially Threepio, perhaps.... ;)

Dawn.

10. openmind

Jan 23, 2003
    Ahh, this thread has awakened again. :p

Now let me shake but not stir it ;)

This maybe a little obvious, however, might as well let it out and not let myself bottle it up inside [face_devil].

When Obi Wan decides to contact Anakin, he is not aware at all what Anakin is up to, until he tries to use the technology available to him and contact Anakin in Naboo. Ofcourse he finds out where he is but doesn?t know what he?s been doing!

Meanwhile, it is Yoda who senses something about Anakin that there is pain, suffering, death and that Anakin is emotionally distressed as Yoda was meditating. Qui Gon Jinn is also heard at this point, calling out to Anakin, although a spirit from the dead, out of all people!

This to me signals how technology is so much more inferior than the power of the Force. Makes one think of Vader?s future line ?don?t be too proud of the technological terror you?ve constructed. If I say so a re-occurent theme in the Saga.

Nothing like the Force, despite its primordial existence.

11. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    And even though he was, of course, the very farthest thing from an actual Jedi during the time of ANH, for instance...well, I'm reminded also of how that one officer was scorning Vader and the Force, maligning his "devotion" to that "sad religion", and basically just *very* unwisely implying that the Force had no real power at all, and perhaps even thus that Vader was not so much a force in himself to be reckoned with....pun fully intended there, to be sure. But of course, to prove the point quite nicely that the ways of the Force are indeed truly many, and very terrible and awesome in their might, he merely proceeds to Force-strangle the errant officer without so much as a word of anger or reproach. No other visible sign of irritation on his part, at that time, he just *very* effectively and vividly demonstrated the undeniable fact that the Force was still the greatest power of all in the galaxy....greater, indeed, than any technological terror constructed....mysterious, perhaps, but still very great. :)

Excellent call, too, on that whole thing with Obi-Wan and Yoda....how Obi is of course completely confounded about his errant apprentice - though I'd imagine that once he realized Anakin was indeed on atooine, he was able to put two and two together, and thus could discern at least that Anakin had returned there solely because of the nightmares about his mother....though that's as much as Obi-Wan could obviously ever know. :) But it was Anakin's own pain and suffering, his dark rage and turmoil, that one might say ripped a hole - a gateway, if you will - in the continuum of the Force itself....drew back the veil just enough for that which normally separates the living and the dead to no longer bar the way, and when it didn't - at last, Qui-Gon Jinn could be heard, his presence felt....because it was the Force, and Anakin's immense power and emotional firestorm, that allowed it to happen. Beautiful call there on that one, for sure.... *bowing to openmind* ....and I thank you for that. :)

Dawn.

12. openmind

Jan 23, 2003
    Yes, thank you Dawn for your kind words, elevating me to such dizzy heights, Im not worthy...really. But if you insist. :D

Let's just say our love for the Saga, the wonderous mind of it creator, we can share, and let's us "see" possible insights that even suprises and inspires us in all its grandeur.

Loved every bit of your insight as well. Exeptional and radiant. [face_love]

13. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Threepio may not be programmed to feel fear

"...they'll never get me on one of those dreadful starships."

The quote's not exact, I'm sure. Threepio did have a fear of spaceflight.

14. openmind

Jan 23, 2003
    The quote's not exact, I'm sure. Threepio did have a fear of spaceflight.

Actually Devil, he was commenting on something R2 was mentioning just before. But I do agree he is the fearful type as he exibits many a time.

15. openmind

Jan 23, 2003
    Double post! :oops:

16. openmind

Jan 23, 2003
    Here's something that is a personal point of view but in a way, invites me to watch this particular scene, time and time again. I wish to share it :D

When Anakin and Padme are talking on the refugee vessel, between them if you seen in the background, is a young say, 5 year old girl, having a meal with her mother.

What is most enticing to me is that it is during the conversation, A and P are talking about love, compassion, being with the people who love each other, etc. And as we are aware of, from their eventual union, is borne their first child, Leia. In addition, this young girl (imo) has the features of a 5 year old Leia, perhaps.

Lastly (but not least), and rather more ominous (if that?s the right word) this girl is with her mother;whereas I don?t see a father. And again, as we are aware of, Leia was with her mother for a short while, and not with the company of her father.

I am probably ?seeing? more than what is there, but I hope, its something that has not been considered before. [face_batting]

17. Devilanse

May 11, 2002
    Actually Devil, he was commenting on something R2 was mentioning just before.

Threepio's quote indicates fear of spaceflight. Nothing else.

18. openmind

Jan 23, 2003
    Threepio's quote indicates fear of spaceflight. Nothing else.

Devil, I must resist but...if you're talking about TPM:
    ARTOO beeps at THREEPIO.

THREEPIO: Oh my! Space travel sounds rather perilous.
    ARTOO emits a series of beeps.

THREEPIO: I can assure you they will never get me onto one of those dreadful starships!

PO never experienced it before and only heard from R2 at this point, how it has been. And as it continues in AOTC, C3PO clearly tells R2 "...never flown before".

19. Devilanse

May 11, 2002
    That doesn't change the fact that referring to something as "dreadful" indicates that you fear it.

20. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    So what exactly is the argument here?

21. openmind

Jan 23, 2003
    That doesn't change the fact that referring to something as "dreadful" indicates that you fear it.

Im sure anyone would fear being blown to bits or shot into space, almost what happened to R2. ;)

Anyway, C3PO is the fearful type, no doubts there.

Argue? We're debating :D

22. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Hmmm....and for that matter, one wonders if R2 ever happened to mention to 3P0 just how perilous it *could* in fact get....perhaps even recounting the one time in particular where he was out on the back of Padme Amidala's royal starship (in TPM) - and all around him, the fleet of astromech droids were being blown away right, left and sideways....blasted into squealing cinders....gosh, if R2 ever happened to recount that particular tale to Threepio, I doubt that ol' Goldenrod would *ever* consent to get anywhere near a starship ever again. :) Space travel like that, perhaps not so much a place for droids....or at least, not for protocol droids who are skilled in numerous languages. ;) Then again, Artoo always has been the real spitfire of the two....sometimes he's the spitfire who's *on* fire, literally, but that may be beside the point. ;)

Dawn.

23. openmind

Jan 23, 2003
    Hmmm....and for that matter, one wonders if R2 ever happened to mention to 3P0 just how perilous it *could* in fact get....perhaps even recounting the one time in particular where he was out on the back of Padme Amidala's royal starship (in TPM) - and all around him, the fleet of astromech droids were being blown away right, left and sideways....blasted into squealing cinders....gosh, if R2 ever happened to recount that particular tale to Threepio,

Absolutely. This was what R2 probably told him. :cool:

24. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    In that case, then, is it any wonder what a fastidious and, even for a droid, quite twitchy little travelling companion he seemed to become in the end....? :) I imagine that Artoo probably tried to recount it in, for a droid, perhaps a reassuring sort of manner....I mean, really, he *did* come through it okay, so clearly that's got to count for something....but methinks that Threepio would probably only hear so far as the tale of massive explosions, and droids being blown apart, and then that'd be all he could ever think about....really, what more *would* he need to know, right? :) Poor, poor Threepio....the intellectual to Artoo's heart, if you will.... Just as Obi-Wan, too, has I think become more the intellectual sort of Jedi to Anakin's passionate, emotional, heart-first perspective. Of course that's not *all* that it is, natch, but it's still a dee-lightful thing to be considering.... :D

Dawn.

25. openmind

Jan 23, 2003
    really, what more *would* he need to know, right?

True :)

M/w what do you think of my "little Leia" analysis? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.