main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT AOTC deleted scene

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Derek4799, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    True, that's a good point. But I should reassure you that I don't think about deleted scenes when I'm watching the film. Every so often I get reminded about their existence in these sort of threads and it all makes me go into overthinking mode ;)

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Consider me reassured ;)
    I understand what you mean, of course. I also find stuff like this fascinating. It's fortunate that fans like us can distance ourselves from it while watching the movies!

- We could be stuck here a very long time.
    - You're fortunate to be all in one piece.

/LM

3. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Oh, that Senate scene should absolutely have stayed in the film. I loved the political scenes in all the prequel movies.

Darth Raiden and WatTamborWoo like this.
  4. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I love AOTC too! Ever since I was a kid I always have. And to be honest, it's probably like my second or third favorite in the saga. Regarding the deleted scene, it's OK. It was interesting to see more of Padme's family but ultimately it was pretty pointless in the end.

5. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Pointless to the plot, but I liked the fact that it emphasised the familial nature of SW, that it is a Saga about a family. That is one of the interesting things I'm looking forward to in the ST - in what direction will the extended Skywalker family go?
    Oh, and AOTC is my favourite episode in the Saga!

Count Yubnub and Alienware like this.
  6. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    it's probably a scene I would have put in and the scene with the Queen could be taken out.
    although, the scene could have been done better. I mean Padme's father barely acknowledge's Anakin , they all just sit down immediately to eat.

7. Firmus Jagdon

Firmus Jagdon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2013
    The love scenes could have stood a once-over with some better dialogue; I like the meadow picnic, one or two more scenes like that would have been great. When Anakin is talking about making people do stuff, she gives him this, **** me look, as if she's turned on by his "bad boy" attitude. Bringing the action to the them quicker may have helped, like an assiniation attempt on Padme.
    The fireside confession feels a bit out of place... like something happened before. But who cares? I dont watch Star Wars for the soap opera elements... and they are deleted scenes for a reason...

8. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    We meet characters that have little to no bearing on the plot, but to be fair we learn a bit about Padme's backstory, and usually, backstory is good. Plus, someone named Pooja Naberrie is introduced. Say that and keep a straight face. Pooja.

9. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

What's wrong with Pooja? Granted, it's Indian in origin so maybe Western audiences won't be as familiar, but it's a real name for girls. Such as:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pooja_Umashankar

It also has its origins in Hinduism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puja_(Hinduism)

themetresgained likes this.
  10. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I love the scene with her sister, and that nice shot of Anakin walking in the garden with her father.

But the bedroom scene.......nah. Too much awkward unnecessary detail about her mercy mission.

Count Yubnub and WatTamborWoo like this.
  11. WatTamborWoo

Jan 22, 2011
    I also like the shot outside the family home:

EXT. THEED, RESIDENTIAL AREA, SIDE STREET – AFTERNOON
    People are passing through the little street, old men are sunning themselves, women are gossiping, kids are playing. Anakin, Padmé, and Artoo turn onto a side street. Anakin is back in his Jedi robes. Padmé wears a beautiful simple dress. She stops, beaming.

[​IMG]

12. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Not making fun of it, just saying its really funny

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  13. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    They are talking in the garden while Padmé, her sister and mother are cleaning up. But going by the novelization, nothing important was said.

I think they should have kept the scenes, A&P just have too little on screen interaction for the romance to work, especially because it ends with them marrying. If the ending had just been ala Bond films, I guess it would have worked better... I think they also should have interchanged the lake and the fields scenes, kiss is way too soon. Quite liked the fireplace scene, while Anakin´s dialogues leave to be desired, Portman manages to have her body and facial languages say the exact opposite of what she says aloud.

14. WatTamborWoo

Jan 22, 2011
    Also the imagery of the scene is fabulous. The fire is burning between them symbolised by the fireplace. It is usually displayed closest to Padme as she tries to keep control whilst Anakin is further away as he, quite frankly, tries to get her to loose control:

[​IMG]

15. CryGoneGin

CryGoneGin Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 28, 2013
    I haven't seen these scenes in a while, but I remember liking them quite a bit, and made Padme more human and relatable. I think the romance scenes needed more "relatable" elements. Have them talking casually, not always sounding so formal and stilted. Let them have banter, see them enjoying their time together. Maybe even, in the meadow scene, their talk about their different ideologies could have turned into a really bitter philosophical argument, ending with both super-pissed at the other, and Anakin feels bad later that night, so he decides to apologize. That is when the fireplace scene happens, with him clumsily trying to let her know how sorry he is, and ends up making it abundantly clear how he feels, and Padme can't help but admit she cares for him too, etc.

I'm no expert at romance in stories, but all that would have been natural, interesting, poignant and quite sweet, IMO.

16. WatTamborWoo

Jan 22, 2011
    The thinking behind the love scenes, whether it worked for people in this day and age or not, was that of Courtley Love. This was a type of romance in the 11th, 12th centuries in Europe. It was a secret love affair between nobles and involved a stilted type of language. The indications of this can be seen in Padme's dress in the Waterfall scene.

Check out this absolutely marvellous editorial written just after the trailers for AOTC came out and before the film: "Ritual and Romance: An Analysis of the Episode Two Trailers"

http://www.theforce.net/jedicouncil/editorials/111701.shtml

FRAGWAGON and Samnz like this.
  17. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm a fan of this scene too. Great visual language.
    [​IMG]
    I like that they are hidden behin the curtains. That's the basic representation of their hidden love.

[​IMG]
    I like WatTamborWoo 's intepretation about the fire between them. Padmé is also always seen with her back to the fire, right? I always saw it as something that separated them. Their love is forbidden. Ultimately that love leads to their end on a lava planet.
    But that's the cool part about art (yes, I called SW art :) ): you can see the same material in a totally different way and neither is wrong.

I also like that Anakin (who supports a secret relationship) moves to a darker corner while Padmé (who opposes the secret) stays.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

That's funny because I also felt the other way around. I never liked the parent scene too much because I just felt sorry for Padmé :D "You love him, he loves you, ha ha, admit" Terrible!
    I'm very fond of the bedroom scene, though. "I never really had a home. Home was where my mother was" was another great line to contrast the lovers (much like the much maligned "I don't like sand") and some good delivery on Portman's part "They were never able to adapt. They all died."

WatTamborWoo likes this.
  18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes. It gave a better explanation of Padme's character, as well as showing how their feelings were building.

I want to throw in that the (very brief) scene at the end of ROTS where Yoda pulls in to Dagobah should have been left; that scene is so gorgeous.

whostheBossk likes this.
  19. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Reading through the script for Attack of the Clones, there was a very interesting bit that ended up deleted.
    This gave a direct response to Mace's question at the end of The Phantom Menace; "which was destroyed, the master or the apprentice?", and it seemed like the Jedi were now confident that they were only chasing the apprentice of the Sith Lord Obi-Wan had slain. Except then I remembered that by the end of the film the Jei end up with the proper information, thanks in large part to Dooku. They know that Dooku is no doubt the Sith apprentice, and that Darth Sidious is his master (as he freely admits to Obi-Wan). I'm sure they surmised that Dooku and Tyranus were one in the same by process of elimination.

I'm not sure what to make of the bit about Sido-Dyas; at this point in the script, that was just an alias for Sidious, by the final film, he was a new character.

Somehow the Jedi were caught off guard in this script by the might of the droid army, only expecting resistance from Geonosian warriors. Though that wouldn't make sense considering Obi-Wan's reconnaissance here directly reports the Techno Union's droid foundries were working at full capacity. Probably for the best that that didn't make it.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  20. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    ^^ When did that happen, when Obi-Wan contacted the council?

21. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    I guess that part of the script was from an earlier draft because some things dont fit to the movie:
    1. Obi-Wan learns from Jango the name Tyranus, not Darth Tyranus. ("I was recruited by a man called Tyranus..."). He never learns that he has the surname/title Darth. Thats learned in the TCW episode about Sifo-Dyas in Season 6. Thats when they learn Dooku and DT are the same person.
    2. In the movie Obi-Wan seems to know Sifo-Dyas ("Master Sifo-Dyas was killed, almost 10 years ago") and asks the council about him informing them about the creation of the clone army.

22. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I dont mind being in Padme's bedroom, it added some depth to their relationship. Meeting her family was great too. It seemed like an easy edit to trim the film. I do like the interrogation by Dooku scene and the raid on the droid control room the best.

SlashMan likes this.
  23. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I liked learning a bit more about Luke and Leia’s maternal grandparents. That would’ve been good in the movie.

whostheBossk likes this.
  24. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    I rewatched the Clones deleted Naboo scenes, they're kind of nice, particularly the beginning of the landing on Naboo with Anakin and Padme talking about their pasts/early lives, but they also have some goofy aspects, notably Lucas datedly seeming to suggest Padme's options are public service or having children, then Padme having yet another elaborate hairstyle and (skimpy) dress, her parents really not knowing about the danger and Padme insisting to family Anakin is just a friend despite the skimpy dress (other cultures can have different styles but it still seems excessive).

There is some nice affection between them, especially if as transition from the disagreement over the security scene, but not quite as much as the family members claimed, especially of she for him. The idea of switching the meadow and lake scenes is interesting but not necessarily better (I kind of like that the passion and friendship aspects were both always present, both always growing between them), I know the meadow scene was considered to end with Anakin then awkwardly trying to again kiss and that probably would have been a better approach Anakin couldn't restrain himself after and with that more friendly scene.

And also saw the Dooku with Padme scenes, not really necessary but would have been nice, Lucas said he decided to instead have Dooku try to tempt Obi-Wan but there was room for and it would be as or more appropriate for Dooku to try to tempt both Obi-Wan and later Padme.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
  25. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    I also don't really like the Padme addressing the Senate scene, that authorizing an army is not just possible, increasingly likely and seen as needed, but directly on the Senate agenda from the start, it makes it too weird that Padme would agree to go off-planet, also that she is sure the assassin was against her being against the army, but also believes that the assassination was from Dooku (not completely contradictory, he could want escalation of conflict, but feels weird and contradictory), better that the film does have that while she's not for army, that sort of extremism against Separatists, she does also agrees the Separatists especially Dooku are big problem and dangerous.

It was an issue with the released film in general, that Padme is against creating the army but also directly part of the "loyalist committee" and basically also close to Palpatine (though the film does well enough in suggesting that Palpatine was publicly neutral about having the army or indeed claimed to only reluctantly support it).

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022