main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC Deleted Scenes DISCUSSION (now discussing Padme's Parents' House)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    The analysis room scene is, I agree, superfluous, but of all the scenes in the PT, that's the one that feels the most OT for me. It's something about the bright and clear, yet soft, lighting that is reminiscent of Cloud City and Tatooine's landscapes. Small observation, but it's one that always struck me about this scene.

2. jedi-master-kev

jedi-master-kev Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 22, 2005
    It was reduntant. But there was other better DS than that

3. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Analysis scene is pretty cool. I liked the droids. :D

4. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Yeah definitely a scene that was not required imo [face_tired]

5. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). AOTC-DS Chapter 4: Extended Arrival on Naboo DISCUSSION will be made available 12:15 AM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

6. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Due to the success of the PT and CT CBC discussions, I would like to discuss the deleted AOTC scenes chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 8 chapters to discuss over the next month.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

DS - Chapter 4: Extended Arrival on Naboo
    DISCUSSION: July 25, 2005 ? July 29, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 0:00 ? 1:55

Synopsis:
    A Nubian transports lands in the Theed courtyard. Anakin and Padme followed closely behind by Artoo cross the circular courtyard. Anakin says that when he was homesick he thought of Naboo and the palace. Padme says it?s beautiful and until she saw the capital, she never saw a waterfall before. Anakin asked her if she dreamed of power and politics as a girl and she say no. She adds that she wasn?t the youngest queen and didn?t believe she was ready. Anakin tells her that he knows that they tried to amend the constitution and she rejected. She says that popularity isn?t everything and she was hoping to have a family. Padme tells of her family and her sister?s kids and how being a senator has delayed that. Anakin thinks it is good that she serves. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    This literally is Return to Naboo all over again with some extra dialogue. That?s all it is. It?s a good scene, giving some unnecessary backstory, especially with the parent?s house out of the theatrical cut. It would work if the film itself was an extended cut.

The additions aren?t bad, but they?re pretty much all we get from the Seville location used in Clones. We get a little bit in the regular cut, but this really blooms out quite a bit. It?s good to know that Naboo is a place of peace in many minds. Anakin thinks of it when homesick. Padme wanted to raise their child there.

I liked the power line concerning Padme. It foreshadows that Padme has a good heart and would never turn corrupt even she was forced to. Just like in ROTS when Anakin says he and she can rule the galaxy and Padme denies him. He should of knew from then that she wasn?t going to give in.

The family scenes only work with the parent?s house and the bedroom scene. If they added the lines without the parents scene, it would have seriously looked awkward. I can prefer either version. This does drag, but provides some here or there backstory. Good deleted scene.

7. Tatooine_Fireman

Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    The main reason I like this scene, is because it tells us something more about Padme. Most of AOTC's deleted scenes are scenes about Padme's motivation or backstory, and the deleting of those scenes didn't do her character, as well as the lovestory, justice.

I do understand why they trimmed this particular scene down though. The scene is quite long, but I wish they would've kept the more personal bits, and dropped the political aspect from the scene; there has been enough of politics in this movie already, while the characters and the lovestory needed some more development.

I really like Anakin and Padme's conversation in this scene. After their first, kind of awkward conversations, they are on a new level with each other, and the conversation flows very natural, like in the meadow picnick scene. They are really opening up to each other; they are sharing their thoughts and feelings.
    The whole scene is acted very well if you ask me, and I could definetly see a spark between these two characters, especially when Padme mentions she wants a family (Anakin actually looks at her when she says that, it must sound as an invitation to him :p ); it makes it more believable that she would fall for Anakin, but also adds something to the lovescenes in ROTS.

Not only does this scene add much to the lovestory, it also adds something to the political plotline that runs through the entire PT: "Popular rule is not democracy, Ani, it gives the people what they want, not what they need".

Another funny thing I noticed when I watched the scene for the first time: as they arrive on Naboo, and Anakin and Padme talk about the planet's beauty, Anakin mentions how the air always smells like flowers. Now, in the ROTJ novel, right before Anakin dies, he remembers the smell of flowers, and the smile of his beautiful wife.

8. Maul_Loves_Ventress

Maul_Loves_Ventress Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2005
    Padme addresses the Senate
    -One of the best scenes in the movie. It's absence hurts the PT
    Mas Amedda's tongue is just...stupid and unneccessary.
    While we're on it, why is Mas Amedda even neccessary? Tarkin would have been a much better supporting character.

Obi-Wan and Mace Windu.
    -Done FAR better than the Obi-Wan and Yoda scene. Plus good shots of the Jedi Starfighters.

Padme and Anakin meet Count Dooku
    -also pretty good, and establishes it further as a political conflict.

The others I can take or leave.

9. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). AOTC-DS Chapter 5: Padme's Parents' House DISCUSSION will be made available 2:20 PM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

10. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Due to the success of the PT and CT CBC discussions, I would like to discuss the deleted AOTC scenes chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 8 chapters to discuss over the next month.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

DS - Chapter 5: Padme?s Parents? House
    DISCUSSION: July 30, 2005 ? August 3, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 0:00 ? 2:22

Synopsis:
    Anakin and Padme come to the Naberrie Homestead. Out come Ryoo and Pooja rushing towards their aunt and hugging Artoo. They enter the dining room and are greeted by Sola. Her parents enter the room and are introduced. They then enjoy a meal. Sola says that Anakin?s the first boyfriend she ever brought home. Padme doesn?t like that. They discuss Padme?s situation. She says she?s not in any danger, but Anakin says that she is. After dinner the Naberrie women are washing dishes as Anakin and Ruwee are in the gardens. Sola tells her sister, she notices Anakin?s attraction. Padme says that they?re just friends and their relationship is strictly professional. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    This is another Padme scene that got cut from the movie. If GL did something repetitively about Padme, it was not giving her a backstory. Here we have all these scenes and Lucas refuses to use them. Who is this wife of Anakin? We only know her from her political and romantic interaction.

This scene would have been a detour, because why do they need to make a special trip to her parents before going to Varykino, the Lake Retreat. I like the scene, but that?s two minutes slowing down the lethargic first half. I read the original draft and there was a lot more a Padme?s Parents? House than the DVD shows.

However, it wouldn?t be a bad idea to reincorporate this into a future DVD since her family does appear at the end of ROTS. Some people didn?t even know who these extras were in the funeral. Sola?s obviously not as hot as Padme and is more of the domestic, contrasting to Padme who?s the corporate-politcal type.

I like it. It?s quite different from the Lars Homestead and every other dining experience we?ve seen in the movies. EU did say that her parents were humble villagers, but the film is more canonical than EU. Good chapter.

11. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    I liked it because it showed that there is family in Star Wars

12. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    What about the Lars and Shmi and Anakin? We got family there too. And coincidentally, both families do sit down for a meal at least once.

13. Palpy560

Palpy560 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2005
    hmmm I skipped over this one, seemed like a waiste compared to the others. Oh well.

14. anakin_skywalker_02

anakin_skywalker_02 Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2005
    Personally I feel sad that so many of the deleted scenes had to do with Padme on Naboo. It just didn't do her character justice. Yes, it would have slowed things down for the general audience who don't give a hoot about Padme but for a Star Wars fan, such cuts were too damaging. I felt they should have put them into the movie for the DVD version. Firstly, we miss out on Padme's backstory. Secondly, we don't get to see the progression of Anakin and Padme's relationship. I thought that given Padme's nature, the kiss she gave him in the "I hate sand" scene by the lake was too quick and abrupt. For me it almost came out of nowhere. If the family scenes were included, at least we could see Padme slowing warming up to Anakin.

15. Tatooine_Fireman

May 16, 2003
    Agreed, anakin_skywalker_02 :)

As much as I like this scene, I agree with the people who say this scene is just too cheesy and un Star Warsy to be in the actual movie. We've never seen a scene like this, with dialogue like this in a Star Wars movie, but this scene is so effective: it brings Anakin and Padme's relationship to a whole new level. It's the perfect sequel to the extended arrival on Naboo.
    Like ROTS, this scene kind of breaks with the style of Star Wars, for the reasons I mentioned above, but it breaks the style in a positive way, adding something we've never seen before into Star Wars.

It was nice to hear somebody else other than Anakin himself saying he has feelings for Padme. We are constantly told this, but due to the cutting of scenes like this, we never really get to see this. It's nice to get something of an 'outside look' on Anakin and Padme's relationship; the looks of Padme's mother and sister say more than enough.

I think the character of both (but especially) Padme and Anakin benefit from this scene. Anakin's character benefits of it because we get to see him as shy, friendly and caring towards Padme and her family, instead of whiny and disobedient.

In my ideal version of AOTC, this scene would follow the extended arrival on Naboo, instead of the scene with Queen Jamillia. Of course the movie would need some re-editting, but that's a whole other discussion. ;)

16. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    I hated it, it was a boring scene, and it was a waste. I'm happy it didn't get in.

17. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I just loved Sola's line about how Anakin was the first boyfriend that Padme ever brought home. Claudia Karvan is a great actress (Secret Life of Us is one of my fave shows) and she was very disappointed when the scene was cut.

Why did Padme's role get the hack job not just once but TWICE? [face_thinking]

18. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). AOTC-DS Chapter 6: Padme's Bedroom DISCUSSION will be made available 6:15 PM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

19. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004

DS - Chapter 6: Padme?s Bedroom
    DISCUSSION: August 19, 2005 ? August 23, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 0:00 ? 1:23

Synopsis:
    Anakin and Padme are in her bedroom. She?s moving around. Anakin asked her why she still lives at home. Padme says that official residences give no warmth and this is her home. Anakin says that his home is with Shmi. They begin the look at the holo-portraits around the room. Padme tells the story the planet with the imploding sun and the tragedy that happened. Then motions to her a stern apprentice adjacent to the picture. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    The other scene at Naberrie house that was deleted is in my opinion one I?m glad they deleted. It?s another minute or so of Padme?s back story, but it?s just seems so below par, especially for this film.

I did like how Anakin says that is with his mother, establishing the already strong bond between mother and son. I guess in ROTS he really has no home, but in a way takes up residence with Padme, who is a surrogate mother to him.
    The holograms really ruin the moment for me. They?re just not what I expect and that girl ain?t no resemblance to Natalie at all. The Nakee-tulla story I didn?t care for that much, thought it does bring up good points. Those who can?t adapt can?t survive.

I definitely liked Anakin?s bedroom better than Padme?s bedroom. At least that served purpose such as introducing Threepio. This does not. Could have been better and unfortunately doesn?t get a seal of approval.

20. Tatooine_Fireman

May 16, 2003
    Yeah, I'm kinda double on this scene as well, Moleman.
    Again, it gives us some backstory on Padme, but I think enough is enough. This scene could have expanded a little more on the actual lovestory, maybe the both of them coul look back on the events of TPM and the events between TPM and AOTC.
    This way, AOTC would tie TPM a little closer to the saga, since there is such a big gap of time between the two movies, and many characters have changed, especially Anakin.
    It's those little ties that I mostly miss between TPM and AOTC.

I do think however that the scene the way it is could've been in the movie if it was a little shorter. Have the main focus on the scene on the theme of those who cannot adapt die. Adapting to new situations and letting go are rather important themes in the PT, especially concering the character of Anakin. Also, this would prevent the scene from being too cheesy and lighthearted.

21. Toughie

Toughie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    I thought that scene, if it just talked about the can't-adapt-die thing would have been perfect and great foreshadowing for ROTS. I thought it was important, not to Anakin's character, but to Padme's. SHE is the one that didn't adapt to the change from Republic to Empire. SHE is the one who didn't adapt to Anakin's fall. And SHE was the one who died because she couldn't adapt.

22. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I liked the dinner scene however I agree this needed to be cut, all it really did was slow down the film and give us a brief glipse of Padme's past.

23. anakin_skywalker_02

anakin_skywalker_02 Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2005
    While I liked the scene with Padme's parents, I don't like this one. This scene is rightfully cut from the movie IMO. Yeah, we miss out some important thematic points, but GL could have easily put these in elsewehere in their conversations. Inserting an extra scene in her bedroom indeed slows the plot down quite a bit.

24. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Cool scene.

"He's not my boyfriend!"
    [face_laugh] LMAO

25. Toughie

Toughie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    I loved that line, and I'll tell you why.. for once, out of 3 films we finally get to see Padme act her own age. The way she said that line.. a younger sister TOTALLY acts like that if she's called out.. the scene with her in the kitchen with her sister and mother is very... mother-daughter-sister like... it shows Padme as the age she really is, just being a a young adult instead of this crazy important politician of an entire planet.

We got to see Anakin act his own age (the whiney and bitching common among teenage boys), it would have been nice to see that with Padme.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.