main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hou, TX AOTC Imax in Galveston!

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Briareos, Sep 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crystala

crystala Jedi Master star 1

May 7, 2002
    yes there will be a midnight preview screening on Halloween night.

2. Jaina_S_Fel

Jaina_S_Fel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2002
    OOOOhhhh!!!! How do we get tickets to the Halloween showing? I've been trying to find something fun to do that night after I take the anklebiters trick-or-treating! I looked on the website and couldn't find where it said (if it said).

3. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    I'm not sure what they are doing for their midnight showing. I only know that they will be having one. Whether they will be selling tickets or they will have tickets available only through a private premiere, I don't know. I would suggest giving Moody Gardens a call if you are interesed in that showing.

4. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Hey, Houston FanForce! Less than seven days to go 'till AOTC IMAX!

crystala's been putting in a lot of work on this event lately, and could really use your support in getting the Houston FanForce IMAX event in Galveston going strong.

Please offer her whatever time or resources you can to help make the IMAX event a huge success.

We need people to help hand out flyers, contact local video/anime/comic shops to see if we can drop off flyers, and ask for prize donations for this event!

Come show off your costume and volunteer to work a couple of hours at the Bantha Tracks giveaway!

If you can host some web space for Houston, let us know so we can get a fan page up to link to STARWARS.com!

In short, your Houston FanForce needs you!

Please help do your part.
    Thanks!
    Brian

5. crystala

May 7, 2002
    Btw, Moody Gardens should have their links up now to buy tickets. You can purchase tickets to either the midnight premiere or the Nov. 1st showing by phone, their website and in person.

Also there will be the 5pm news crew out at Moody Gardens to briefly cover the event. Anyone who can make it down there early to help show them how many Star Wars fans there are in Houston please join us. Don't forget to dress in a Star Wars costume or t-shirt if you have one!

6. AlexiAlexander

AlexiAlexander Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2002
    awesome! But most of my 8 person entourage in costume has to be in bed before midnight, but I will be there.

7. Briareos

Briareos Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2002
    https://www.moodygardens.com/starwars/

I don't think you can get Star Wars tickets online yet - it only listed the currently showing movies. But supposedly you can call that number to order. I tried, but got no response. I'll try again later...

8. crystala

May 7, 2002
    I just got done checking the site. They appearantly are running a bit behind themselves. By Monday afternoon you should be able to purchase tickets on the website. You can purchase tickets to it now by phone or at their ticket office.

9. Slowmo

Slowmo Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    Whoo hoo! Just got my tickets to the midnight showing at the IMAX! Who's with me! I will of course have to wear my Fett armor...Buck, you with me?

Doug

10. DECO_DROID

DECO_DROID Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    i wish i could say i'm going to be there, but the sub-par, edited version of aotc currently scheduled to play does in no way interest me, and i'm surprised that many of you bother with it. the fact that it will be bigger, as "amazing" as that is, does not eclipse the fact that the film has been butchered.

also, i don't recall seeing any fans crowding towards the front of the theater during aotc's opening week. why not? i'm sure it would have looked alot "bigger" from down there. where were all the imax lovers then???

so basically, don't bother seeing aotc in imax. the dvd will have truer colors, more depth, and as a bonus, you'll get to view the entire 142 minute film!!! and if you're still yearning to see "yoda big", just plant yourself two inches from your tv screen and watch it like that - instant imax.

11. Darthmusic

Darthmusic Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2002
    Well, I'm not crazy that the film has to be shortened. However, there are some parts that were a total waste of time with terrible dialogue that didn't add to the plot. I don't believe any major scene is going to be changed like my favorite part of Dooku and Yoda dueling. I doubt that is one of the parts. Also, I must disagree witht the comparison of setting close to your television compared to seeing an Imax movie. I hope you were only kidding there. As a person who enjoys Imax movies, I have to say that isn't the same.
    Now if this would of been any of the the OT I would never see them shortened. No that would be something that I would be upset with. I enjoyed AOTC greatly but some parts could of been left out or shortened in my opinion. I was upset that Edwards Marquee showed Spidey on the Imax screen and not Star Wars. Now I'm pumped that Star Wars is going to be on the big screen and made for that screen not just shown on it. Personally an intermission would of been fine with me so the entire movie could of been shown but I'm not in charge.

12. Jaina_S_Fel

Jun 3, 2002
    For one thing...I did in fact sit in the very front row (on purpose) during one of the times I saw AOTC at AMC and it was really fun. So I expect IMAX to be even better.

And DECO_DROID, must you spend all of your time on this board putting down the things we talk about? It's kind of tiresome.

13. LoneGungan

LoneGungan Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2002
    I wish I could be there. I am hopefully going Saturday as my ride, can't get off of work before then. Have fun everyone and I know it's early...but HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

14. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    And DECO_DROID, must you spend all of your time on this board putting down the things we talk about? It's kind of tiresome.

DECO_DROID is entitled to his opinion. However, to everyone, please, this is not a "Is AOTC IMAX any good?" debate thread, so let's not turn it into one. That's what the AOTC Forum is for.

15. DECO_DROID

Mar 13, 2002
    thanks, darth stryphe,
    this thread is full of people excited about imax, so what is wrong with posting a differing opinion, "jaina"? i have said before i am fine with imax "if" they hadn't cut the film!!! to me, seeing the movie whole, as lucas released it, is more important than seeing a cut version big.

actually, i would bet that lucas didn't like his movie having to be cut for an imax release either. think about that a while and then criticize...

16. Robnhud

Robnhud Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 24, 2002
    I'm suprised this hasn't been mentioned yet... if it has... I must have missed it.

The reason Lucas trimmed 23 minutes off AOTC was because he HAD to not because he wanted to. An IMAX reel only hold 2 hours worth of footage... Hence the running time NOW of 1:59:36. Apollo 13 had to do the same thing. The TF.n front page has the story on what was cut etc etc.

~R

P.S. I just moved here from NYC and I was a part of the Episode 2 Line in NYC... what's the plan with people going this weekend etc?

17. Darthmusic

Apr 25, 2002
    FYI it has been mentioned and discussed.

18. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Robinhud, great to have you down. From NYC, uh? Quite a change. Hope you like it here. We're going to be in Galveston for AOTC Imax this Friday at 8 PM, and Saturday evening we're going to be having a Haloween party (see thread on that topic). Hope to see you there.

actually, i would bet that lucas didn't like his movie having to be cut for an imax release either.

Normally I'd agree, but I think if it bothered him that much, he'd have just canceled the whole Imax arrangement. It is his film, after all, he could have taken that route, but choose not to.

19. Jaina_S_Fel

Jun 3, 2002
    Actually, I have no problem with differing opinions, I'm prone to having them myself. I was just mostly wondering why I haven't read about you liking anything anyone has been excited about. Well, that's not really it, either. I guess I'm wondering why you have to post your differing opinion over and over and over again throughout the thread (I've noticed it in others, not just this one)? And I was definitely not meaning to criticize. I just wanted to somehow point out that the constant negativity (at least I percieve it as negativity) is something of a downer. My goal was not to offend, this was just my tactless way of asking you not to burst my proverbial bubble quite so often.

20. DECO_DROID

Mar 13, 2002
    jaina, i guess you haven't seen my star wars lego threads!

i am not a negative person, but i'm getting the idea some of you just don't like hearing (reading) opinions that disagree with your own. now to tie all this in to star wars, this situation reminds me of a scene in aotc (cut out of the imax version, btw) where amidala basically explains to anakin that the senate functions by listening to different opinions, and then deciding what to do. it is anakin who thinks "someone" should make them all agree. now i'm not saying some of you are future dark lords, but i think you get the analogy.

with imax, i am just exercising my choice to not pay to see a watered down version of aotc. to me, it's just not worth it. i saw aotc in digital this summer and didn't see it on film afterwards because it was a step down in quality. same thing here.

the main page posted a review by someone stating that there is visible pixelation in some parts of the imax version now. if things like that are fine with you, go for it, but i see it as taking a step backwards from the last time i saw aotc in dlp. speaking of dlp, if you'll look back a few pages, i made very positive remarks about that format. it is excellent, and i hope we get a digital theater in time for ep3.

so i hope you all understand that i am not trying to cause fights, but just voicing my opinion - as everyone here does. and i hope you will now all join me in my boycott of imax and that dork harry potter.....

....just kidding

....not really, ha!

21. Darthmusic

Apr 25, 2002
    Actually, there is a difference between differing opionions and questioning why we would go see the movie. That's how I've seen some of the discussion go. Debate doesn't bother me even heated discussion but that does. Deco_Droid why does it bother you that we want to see the Imax version of AOTC. It may bother me that you don't. So we have different opionions on the matter no biggie in my book. I agree about the DLP version that was outstanding. I too hope we can get one by EP. 3. I just see AOTC being at Imax as a unique experience. How many other movies can claim they have been made for Imax. So far 2 I think AOTC and Apollo 13. To me starting a new topic about the pros or cons of Imax AOTC would be better served. I guess you just couldn't resist taking another shot at HP. I hope it makes you feel better.

22. Hot_Tub_JAR_JAR

Hot_Tub_JAR_JAR Jedi Youngling

Sep 19, 2002
    From the advance reviews, it seems that there are positive visual qualities about the IMAX format of the film, even though it's not being projected digitally.

Though DLP was by far my favorite way to see AOTC in the theater, and will probably remain so, I am excited to see it remastered for the IMAX format. This is not just a film print with the sides lopped off...it's the digital version run through the IMAX DMR process.

From what I've read, you'll actually be able to see a level of detail not available in most DLP theaters due to the screen size. The IMAX version, with a remastered print on a larger screen, presents a massive image in which many of the small details are now easily visible.

I'll be looking for the X-Wing pursued by the TIE fighters (can't see it on the dvd version, even though it's pointed out on the dvd commentary), among other choice moments.

The IMAX theaters also boast sound systems with over 40 speakers and 10,000 watts of power. This looks to be pretty impressive, will post the final opinion afterwards :D

23. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Actually, I have no problem with differing opinions, I'm prone to having them myself. I was just mostly wondering why I haven't read about you liking anything anyone has been excited about. Well, that's not really it, either. I guess I'm wondering why you have to post your differing opinion over and over and over again throughout the thread (I've noticed it in others, not just this one)? And I was definitely not meaning to criticize. I just wanted to somehow point out that the constant negativity (at least I percieve it as negativity) is something of a downer.

Research has shown me that Deco is not a constant complainer. I did some digging, and found him making all positive comments, until the Imax release was announced. The only complaining I've found Deco doing is regarding the Imax showing, and then he felt like voicing his opinion regarding LOTR vs. HP, but that doesn't necessarly qualify as complaining, more just disagreeing. I've asked him to stop with the HP/LOTR simply because this isn't the forum for heated debates on the subject (we have the Amphitheater for that). Beyond that, if you have personal difference, I'd recommend settling them in PMs, otherwise, it'll likely just make the situation worse and lead to an unpleasant, if not heated, argument.

Actually, there is a difference between differing opionions and questioning why we would go see the movie.

This is also a good point. Deco, some people want to see AOTC Imax, despite the cut footage. Nothing wrong with that. Frankly, I don't see why people like DLP, which I really dislike, but if people want to drive up to Dallas to see it, I say go for it
    *waits patiently for Brian to ban me for my DLP bashing ;)*

the main page posted a review by someone stating that there is visible pixelation in some parts of the imax version now.

I saw it in the film print, and had a friend who noticed it in the DLP showing as well. I'm hoping they fixed it for Imax.

now i'm not saying some of you are future dark lords

What's wrong with being a dark lord? *tabs signature*

24. Darthmusic

Apr 25, 2002
    I totally agree about Deco Droid having mainly positive comments. I've been reading posts on these boards ever since the very first meeting. These just happened to be a couple of topic I thought I would speak up on.

I hope everyone has a great time this weekend. Unfortunatley I won't get to go until next weekend at the earliest. I'm kinda bummed but can't help it. I did get the poster and that makes me happy!

25. Robnhud

Robnhud Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 24, 2002
    So what's the story for Saturday? They aren't sold out at Moody are they????

Just wondering what was planned! See everyone there!

~R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.