main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hou, TX AOTC Imax in Galveston!

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Briareos, Sep 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    What's wrong with being a dark lord? *tabs signature*

:D *polishes up her own sig*

2. crystala

crystala Jedi Master star 1

May 7, 2002
    Just a reminder. The showing we are going to is the 8:20pm showing at Moody Gardens. From 5pm until 7:30pm we will be doing the charity raffle and costume contest. Judging for the contest will be at 7:30pm, followed by the raffle. For those who are unsure of how to get to Moody Gardens..here are some quick directions:

Take 45 South to Galveston. Exit 61st street. Turn right onto 61st street. Make a right onto Seawall Blvd. Then make a right onto 81st street. Make a left onto Hope Blvd.

Moody Gardens
    1 Hope Blvd.
    Galveston, TX 77554
    1-800-582-4673

3. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    What's wrong with being a dark lord? *tabs signature*

Nothing wrong with it at all. :D

4. goldbubbly

goldbubbly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2002
    true dat ;)

5. bebo_lokk

bebo_lokk Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 16, 2001
    Hey kids, hope everyone had a good time(even though my wife/kids didn't win anything at the raffle!). I enjoyed seeing y'all there - and that was worth the trip more than the movie itself!

Maybe I had higher expectations after what I saw at the AOTC premiere back at Gulfpoint, but it was kind of let down to not have a packed house.

6. crystala

crystala Jedi Master star 1

May 7, 2002
    Just wanted to let you all know. Guidry News Service was there. They cover events, meetings, etc. in the Houston and Galveston area. They wrote up a little article about today and included recorded conversations between the guy from Guidry and various people that was at Moody Gardens today, including I think Chris from the 501st and me. Btw, if you do listen to it, please bear in mind that he took me by surprise :)

http://www.guidrynews.com/02MoodyGardens/30502MoodyStarWars.htm

7. Hot_Tub_JAR_JAR

Hot_Tub_JAR_JAR Jedi Youngling

Sep 19, 2002
    Glad y'all had a good time!

Think my ears are still ringing from all the carnage in the last 30 minutes of the film :D

Brian

8. Darthmusic

Darthmusic Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2002
    Glad to hear you guys had a good time! I'm just disapointed I couldn't go.

I think I may be able to add just a few reasons why it wasn't a packed house last night.
    First, there wasn't major news media converage like on the local tv stations letting people know. There was 100 times more coverage of Spidey coming out on video than AOTC on Imax.

Second, it is during football season and and face it we are in Texas. Do you know how many people in this area are at football games on a Friday and Saturday night?

Third, it's coming out on DVD soon so a lot of people don't see it as such a big deal. Plus the fact that's it not the entire movie which has been pointed out quite a few times.
    Finally, and probably the the biggest reason it's in Galveston. How centrally located to the Houston area is that. Then take into consideration you have to drive down 45 after going through downtown or wherever on Friday night after work and that's not a pretty picture. For me it's 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get there.

I know that this may sound totally negative but I'm just trying to state some of the reasons. Now if it would of been at the HMNS and that would of happened that would of been sad but since it's in Galveston I'm not at all surprised. Just consider almost 40 percent of Houston's population is on the North to NW side according to the last census and this isn't surprising.

I hope tonight will be better but I'm not sure. I hope it does great and encourages other Imax theaters to do the same. However, low attendance here won't help. I can't wait until next week until me and my friends get to see it.

9. Master_Infamous

Master_Infamous Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    I attended the 8:20 show last night. I have to say this is a better version then the extra 30 minutes that was cut! You could see alot of stuff that was to small to notice on a regular sceen. IMAX version 2 THUMBS UP!!
    Master_Infamous

10. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Darthmusic, so very true. And... Moody's dropped the advertising ball on this big time. I could go into a long story, but I won't. I'll just say that the HFF only knew about this three weeks in advanced thanks to Brian (Nabooy_Call). I would not have even known about AOTC Imax at all if it weren't for the fanforces.

Anyway, I did enjoy the premiere. I'd like to thank everyone who helped pass out fliers and help find dinations, and everyone who came out Friday night. And also thanks to Brian (Nabooty) for the information and guidence, and for helping Renee while I was out of town.

11. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    I will most likely see it in the IMAX again in San Antonio. I was a bit more disturbed with the cuts than I thought I would be.

I did enjoy the premiere, though. It was fun to get out and do it, despite the distance to the gulf. ;)

12. DECO_DROID

DECO_DROID Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    i am detecting a tinge of negativity here...

ha!

13. Qris-DawnVires

Qris-DawnVires Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2002
    yeah-
    a little late again.
    but i went too (the asian girl dressed as a jedi) with my sister (the asian princess leia) and my brother (darth vader) and i was wondering who else went because I didn't get all of your names!!!
    I know Buck already, but who was Boba Fett and the Stormtrooper? and there were two other girls dressed as Jedi and I didn't get to say hello to them.
    but otherwise, hello! and i hope to see you all again soon!
    NOVEMBER 12!!!! woo hoo!!!
    Chris

14. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    i am detecting a tinge of negativity here...

Deco, wise you were, hmm, yes. See it again in Imax, I will not. Buy it on DVD I will, and enjoy a full cut with extra scenes -- hmm, yes.

But on the plus side, the image was very clear, much better than DLP, I thought. No pixalization that I noticed.

15. Slowmo

Slowmo Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    Well, I was Boba Fett. I've got a few pictures of myself, Buck, and the Stormie (I've forgotten his name) on the front steps in my yahoo photo album. Http://photos.yahoo.com/slowmo_1 under the star wars directory. If you have any from the IMAX on Halloween please send them to me!

Doug

16. bebo_lokk

bebo_lokk Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 16, 2001
    The trooper at the midnight show was Chris, I don't think he posts here but he's a member of the 501st.

17. plormf

plormf Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2002
    While it was nice to experience the third theatrical version of AOTC at the midnight showing in Galveston on Halloween, I would still have to say that the DLP version was superior. In "THE IMAX EXPERIENCE", The deep space scenes were breathtaking; almost giving the viewer the effect of flight from their own seat. The sound was decent, but not what I expected. Sure, explosions were wall rattling, but dialog, music, blasters, and lightsabers did not come to life as they did in the DLP setup. The picture itself was alot sharper than the 35mm version, but come on! Anyone who got to see the DLP version knows that nothing compares to its color and detail! It's almost like looking through a window!! Did anyone get to see that IMAX film,"Special Effects" that hit the Museum of Natural Science about 5 yrs ago? It was hosted by R2 & 3-PO. It featured a re-production of the openning sequence of ANH, filmed in the IMAX 70mm format, using the super detailed Star Detroyer model from ESB. That was AAAAMMMAAAAAAZING!!!! Super clarity and explosive sound effects! It left me hiding behind my seat, crying like a little girl! That sequence was desined for the IMAX, where as AOTC was designed for DLP & DVD.

18. DECO_DROID

DECO_DROID Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    "come on! Anyone who got to see the DLP version knows that nothing compares to its color and detail!"

i humbly agree with plormf...

19. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Anyone who got to see the DLP version knows that nothing compares to its color and detail!

I saw both, the Imax was much better (picture wise, not sound, sound in DLP was better). In Imax there was no pixalization, the image had more real "feel" to it (more texture) and the color correction was a little better. The sound in DLP had more depth, though, and shook the theater more than the Imax did. It was still good sound, though.

20. BigChris

BigChris Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2000
    Hello all from Austin. When I saw the IMAX, most of the experince was similar, although I did see some pixelation, but that was due to the fact that it was so huge. But there was ALOT more detail and color in the IMAX version for the same reason. I didn't get to notice all of the detail, so I'm gonna catch it again. :)

Big Chris

21. Darthmusic

Apr 25, 2002
    Hopefully this weekend I will get to see it at the Imax and get to add to the discussion. I've will get to complete the circle since I've seen it in DLP and 35MM and now Imax!

22. Darthmusic

Apr 25, 2002
    Well, I finally got to see AOTC last night and I had an overall great experience. I agree with most of the statements already mentioned like the sound was superior in DLP by far. There was a few wall rattling places but the lightsabers were not the same now the coolest sound of all the charges from the Slave I. I thought the picture quality was better than the 35mm or at least the one I saw on opening night. Finally, the edited parts didn't bother me at all. I noticed most of the terrible dialogue that shouldn't of been there in the first place out. The only seen I can think of I liked was Yoda on the floating chair.

Also, the 5:15 and the 8:20 show were both sold out. I planned on seeing the 5:15 and got there an hour early but it already sold out. Luckily I have some friends in Galveston or I would not of been happy. The theater for the 8:20 show was packed with 2 rows of chairs up at the top and 98 percent of the chairs were full.

My only complaint is why doesn't Moody Gardens have tickets available online. Checking on Starwars.com it seems to be one of the few that isn't. Maybe I just went on the only day it's sold out. However, to drive an 1 1/2 and have it sell out isn't cool.

Even with a bad back and a theater way out of my way I think it's worth it. It was certainly a cool experiece and the chopped up or edited version that Mr. Lucas used for the Imax version flowed pretty smooth in my book. I don't know if I would of just made the trip to just see the movie and not my friends to but I am glad I went.

23. goldbubbly

goldbubbly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2002
    ok, so does anyone know when aotc no longer plays on the IMAX?

24. AlexiAlexander

AlexiAlexander Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2002
    january in Galveston i think is what i read.

25. ChewbaccasRevenge

ChewbaccasRevenge Jedi Master

May 19, 2002

Flyers at Moody Gardens say January 5th is the last day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.