AOTC in IMAX!!!

Discussion in 'Oregon FanForce' started by Strilo, Sep 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    We want AOTC in IMAX! If anyone is interested, here is the contact info for the IMAX theatre at OMSI. Let's call em to see if they are gonna show it!

OMNIMAX Theatre, Oregon Museum of Science & Industry
    1945 S.E. Water Avenue
    Portland, Oregon
    PH: Showtimes: 503 797 4640, Info: 503 797 4000

2. Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    From StarWars.com Sept. 9th:

This holiday season, Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones will be bigger than ever. Lucasfilm Ltd., The IMAX Corporation and Twentieth Century Fox have announced that Episode II will be coming to IMAX theaters in the United States and Canada starting November 1, 2002.

This is not just the projection of the standard theatrical print on an IMAX screen -- the movie will undergo the revolutionary IMAX DMR (Digital Re-mastering) process, which enhances the quality of the image and soundtrack to the huge IMAX 15/70 format. This marks the first time IMAX DMR has been used to re-master a film that was digitally captured and created.

"Star Wars: Episode II The IMAX Experience will provide an entirely new way to experience the Star Wars universe," says Jim Ward, Vice President of Marketing for Lucasfilm. "For the first time, fans of Star Wars will be able to see all their favorite characters, environments, vehicles and droids in a setting that is up to eight stories high and over a hundred feet wide."

"The combination of Lucasfilm's innovative digital technology and the revolutionary, proprietary IMAX DMR technology will deliver the clear, crisp and sharp images and sound that IMAX theater-goers have grown to expect," says Richard L. Gelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler, Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs for IMAX Corporation.

"You can't find a movie better suited for the IMAX format," adds Bruce Snyder, President, Domestic Distribution, Fox. "We are thrilled to bring this giant of a film to the giant IMAX screen."

Keep checking starwars.com in the coming weeks for more information about the IMAX release of Episode II.

3. Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    New Information from CNN posted Sept. 10th:

"Clones" thus becomes the second live action re-release to be scheduled for Imax re-formatting since company unveiled a proprietary conversion process in March. An Imax version of Universal/Imagine's "Apollo 13" bows September 20 in 22 locations.
    Snyder plans to unspool "Clones" in about 50 Imax commercial venues in the U.S. and Canada, and another 20-30 Imax theaters based in science museums and other institutions. Executives believe the picture could add at least $20 million to its current $300 million-plus domestic total. There are no plans to distribute the Imax version of "Clones" internationally.

The Imax-format "Clones" is expected to run about seven weeks, set just after "Apollo" and before "The Lion King." The Mouse House has its own process for converting cartoons into Imax format and plans to release its upcoming "Treasure Planet" simultaneously in conventional and giant-screen theaters in November.

**No word yet which IMAX theatres will have AOTC.
  4. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    I very much doubt we will get it in Oregon, but no matter.

I'll be going up to Seattle to see it. They will get it, I am sure, and they have a great IMAX theater up there. I'll try to make it twice actually. Perhaps once with my parents, then the first time will be with JediWookie here and we'll just drive up opening weekend. At least, I am going to do that, and I think he'll be able to also :)

I cannot wait for the IMAX release.

Here is hoping that AOTC can climb ahead of The Lion King, Return of the Jedi, Independence Day, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings at the domestic box office. If Fox is right, and it makes $20 million, then we will pass all of those films and move into the top ten, which would truly be a day to be remembered :)
  5. Rickthetamer Jedi Knight

star 1
    The IMAX in Seattle does supremely rock.

Well, actually, I think they have two.

But that's not the point.

I really don't think OMSI's gonna get it.

They already have something scheduled for November, and I can hardly see them switching off between 'Bears' and AOTC.

I just saw "Space Station" there. It was pretty good. Not as good as Everest, though.
  6. Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ^ You should make it a FanForce event and caravan up there together. That is what we are doing in San Diego. We doubt we will get it in San Diego as we only have one IMAX at the Space and Science center and it is old and not very good. We are planning to get together with the Los Angeles and Orange County FanForce's and all drive up to see it at the Irvine Spectrum.
  7. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    What is wrong with our cities?

San Diego is HUGE, it deserves its own commercial IMAX screen, that seems absurd to me... I mean, to be honest, San Diego is a top three potential destination for me as far as living in 5 years. When I am out of college, I'm not staying in Oregon. The weather is too bad for me. I don't like rain. It just makes me depressed, and I don't like cold, it's uncomfortable, it also makes me depressed, and that's about 8 to 9 months of the year in Oregon. It's nothing personal against the state, because I love Oregon during the summer, but to me, I cannot even imagine living my life in a bad climate. It's just dreary and depressing. :)

So if I go to live in San Diego, then I would hope there is an IMAX there darnit, as big of a city as it is, haha.

Portland is big too and we have no IMAX screen. OMSI doesn't even count, never has.

Wow I'm surprised you thought Space Station was just "pretty good." I saw it at the Luxor in Las Vegas last month, Space Station 3-D, and I thought it was excellent! One of the better documentaries. I gave it 4 stars at: http://www.JLBMovies.com/SpaceStation.shtml

I never saw Everest though, but it's like the "Ultimate Imax Movie" everyone says.
  8. Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Master

star 4
    I think my favorite movie in IMAX was Special Effects. And then Everest.
  9. Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Bowen said: <<I'm not staying in Oregon. The weather is too bad for me. I don't like rain. It just makes me depressed, and I don't like cold, it's uncomfortable, it also makes me depressed,>>

When you live in San Diego you be whining about not liking sand, its rough, its coarse, and it gets all over everything! :p

Not only does San Diego miss out on having a nice IMAX theatre, we miss out on having a large screen theatre. We don't have a single one, they have all been torn down or converted into sporting good stores, book stores, or churches. We have to drive up to Newport Beach or Hollywood to go to a big screen theatre.

The Cinerama theatre in Seattle is great. I saws Raiders of the Lost Ark there in February of last year.
  10. ImperialJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    My favorite one I saw at OMSI was Ring of Fire. It was the first one I saw in the IMAX theatre.

-IJedi
  11. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    Hmm, ok, guess before I move to San Diego I am going to have to build my own big screen theater there with an IMAX next to it. Eh, no big deal. :) Another good business opportunity. Haha, that would be cool though.

Well maybe I will live in LA after all, I dunno.
  12. Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ^ Bowen, LA? You ARE a glutton for punishment aren't you? You will have to buy a breathing mask to live there! It will take you hours to drive anywhere!!!! Either move to San Diego/Orange County or stay in the Northwest. I'd stay in Oregon if I were you, the scenery if beautiful, and the people in the Northwest are the best.
  13. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    Haha, you gotta be kidding. :)

I would never even think of staying in Oregon. No offense to any of my fellow Oregonians, but I think a lot of people from Oregon are seriously crazy. They think that RAIN is actually a good thing and they don't try to avoid it or get away at all, they are just like, "Ahh rain, I love Oregon, having rain pour down on my head as there are clouds above me, ahh, what a great life this is!" Hmm, no.

Sunshine and heat, that's where it's at. If it's not sunny out, it's just depressing out, so then I close my blinds and try to ignore the lousy weather, which is most of the time in Oregon.

I like Los Angeles. Lots to do there, very pretty, it's the center of showbiz! Everyone makes fun of LA though. Not every place there has bad smog or whatever. Where I stayed for 4 months, there was no smog at all. It was just above this bluff and the smog just went down into the valley and stayed away from us. The air was just as pure as any place I've ever been. Perhaps in the middle of the city though it wouldn't be that way. I've never lived in the center of LA :)

I think people from Oregon are nice for the most part, if you want to make a generalization. But as the weather gets hotter, so too do the girls. The girls in Los Angeles and San Diego, well, all of Southern California, are AMAZING. Yeah, there are hot girls here in Oregon, but their numbers are vastly smaller, even by proportion. I went to Jesuit High School and the girls there are known throughout the high schools in Portland to be extremely hot. Our class had so many good looking girls it was amazing. Easily girls that were hotter than nearly any model or Hollywood actress (Stephanie Reaume, a class below me, is the hottest girl I have ever seen, including all celebrities).

BUT that was really the exception at JHS. If you go to OSU or U of O, you will find plenty of really good looking girls, but never as many as in LA and San Diego. Even the really hot girls from my class at JHS went to Southern California, many of them. This one "friend" of mine Liz D. (she isn't a friend anymore) went to USD and was rooming with a girl who graduated one year earlier but took a year off. Christa Bonthius. The reason she took a year off is so that she could go to Europe and model. She is a professional model, and it shows, haha. That's the type of girl you see in San Diego.

Plus, as the weather gets warmer, the clothes get scarcer, haha. In Oregon, girls wear so many clothes most of the time you don't even know if they are really girls. "Hmm she might be hot, can't tell under that ski mask and all of those jackets, but... oh wait that's a guy! My bad."

I would rather live in San Diego than Los Angeles personally, but if I get into the film industry, as I want to do, then I will probably be better suited living in Los Angeles. Beverly Hills 90210 or Pacific Palisades. :)
  14. Rickthetamer Jedi Knight

star 1
    Jesuit? Gwaa!!!!

*is going to a rival school*

It doesn't rain THAT much.

Heck, we're coming out of a month and a half drought.
  15. Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Master

star 4
    That's because its summer. And I go to Jesuit too! :)
  16. DARTH_ANN Jedi Master

star 1
    -Bowen "They think that RAIN is actually a good thing and they don't try to avoid it or get away at all, they are just like, "Ahh rain, I love Oregon, having rain pour down on my head as there are clouds above me, ahh, what a great life this is!" "
    [face_laugh]

LOL at myself. I was actually thinking the same thing myself, the more you were saying rain depresses you. My only experiences with California have been with L.A. I'm sure the rest of the state is nice, but the last time I got off of my flight coming back from Calif., I was only too happy to go outside and stand in the rain and breathe fresh air. (They have since built a huge glass roof over the airport to shield non-webfoots as they walk from the terminal to the parking garage. Natives DO NOT use umbrellas)
    You underestimate the pasty look too ;)
  17. Rickthetamer Jedi Knight

star 1
    And don't you just love being able to drink yummy water from the tap?

Can't do that everywhere.

._.
  18. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    Haha, my god. The rain is horrible. I would die a happy man if I never had a single drop of rain hit me for the rest of my life. I'd like to be in the middle of lots and lots of sand, like Nevada, Arizona, Mexico, even Southern Cali. is good :)

The pasty look, hahaha, nice.

Now that is a good point about the drinking water. I LOVE our water here, it's the best I've ever had and I've been to many places. I've been up to Seattle, down to San Francisco, San Diego, Los Angeles, Mexico five times, Canada 5 times, Italy once, New York City once, Orlando, Florida, Missouri, Nevada three times, Idaho once, Arizona once, Washington D.C. once, and probably somewhere else I am forgetting, and I have never had water anywhere near as pure as from Oregon.

LA water is crap. Worst imaginable. It's undrinkable. Those people who actually do drink their water in LA, they are really indiscriminate or just plain and simple don't know better. I guess if you grew up with horrible dirty water, you too might find it normal to see particles of dirt floating in your water, but most NORMAL people realize that water is tasteless. If it starts tasting like sewage, GENERALLY that's a good idea to STOP DRINKING IT! :)

I just had entirely bottled water when I was down in LA. Gets annoying buying it all, really does, but it is ok. Worth the sacrifice.

Our water at this house is even more pure. We have our own personal well because we thought it would be easier doing this than using city water. It's a bit far out and it just seemed like the best thing to do, so we have a few wells here that supply the water for the house.

Well I am done with high school rivalries, haha, I never had any anyway. I didn't play high school sports. At JHS, they were way too serious about their sports and anyone who is willing to give 3 hours per day to practice, 15 hours a week, plus games, is a lot more dedicated to something like that then I could ever be. I felt my time was best spent on my own endeavors and, IMO, I was right. But as long as those people enjoyed their sports, that's great. For me, though, no way. I was too tired half-way through each school day, wouldn't have any energy for sports afterwards. Getting great grades and playing sports is apparently possible for some people. For me, that would not have been possible.

Anyway, I had my problems with JHS, so I'm not like, "Yeah go JHS!" Eh, whatever. I think I probably made the right decision going there, for my purposes, but my sister goes to Lincoln and that wouldn't have been bad either. It's academically more diverse than JHS for sure. Also, there are a lot of really stupid kids at JHS too, make no mistakes. Those kids are not all smart. lol, not hardly.

I am quite bothered by idiots, actually, it's a pet peeve of mine. LOL. I was in school to do well and concentrate, and other people were there to screw around. I just don't find that acceptable at a school where I paid $7,500 per year to attend. The screwoffs should be kicked out, down to public school, and the kids who are really going somewhere should be at JHS. But it wasn't like that. It was mainly about the jocks and their sports. I have a friend, Sean, one of my good friends, and he got a 1590 on his SAT. One of the nation's highest scores. 10 points, one question, off perfect. But did they ever announce that? Did they ever have an assembly for him and maybe the other people who did great on their SATs? NO. They always had assemblies for those stupid athletes though. It is NOT an academic school, it is a sports school, and no mistake should be made about that.

When I entered, I thought it was going to be an elite school that focused strongly on academics. I was wrong. There are a lot of good teachers there, it was probably the right place for me, but they left a lot to be desired. The administration is pitiful too. I challenged them on multiple occassions and I was always right. I'm sure they knew it too, or they just conveniently ignored it. It's pretty obvious when one party is correct and the other is just trying to hide it
  19. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    So is this the part where I say I enjoy the rain? I find it soothing to be indoors with the rain pouring outside, a glass of wine, George Winston playing on the stereo, a fire in the fireplace, snuggled up to someone special...

:)

Really, though... I hate it over 85. Too hot. I love a nice sunny gorgeous summer day as much as the next guy... really. But I like variety. I want SEASONS. CA seems like it's always nice and warm and sunny. Every damn day. Boring if you ask me. Variety is the spice of life. Besides which, the rain is what keeps it so green and full of life here in the NW and THAT is something I could not live without.

20. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    LOL, my god. I don't want variety if it means having good and bad. I'd rather have every day of my life be happy than some be good and some be bad. I think everyone would say that. So why would I want to have really bad weather along with really good weather? I wouldn't! All good weather is all good! :)

I don't like walking outside and having to put a bunch of crap on. I like walking outside in whatever the hell I want, including my swimsuit, and having it be warm already. Of course if I had air conditioning as bad as most Oregonians, maybe I wouldn't feel that way. LOL. Every room in our house is temperature controlled. There is no heating system or air conditioning system. It's just a water-based temperature system that makes the room whatever temperature you turn it to, 60 to 85, hehe. You can keep it comfortable every night no matter if it's 100 out or 30 out. :)

I hate the seasons. They are pitiful, lol. There is only one good season: summer. That way you can go out and golf, swim, walk outside and enjoy the warmth, etc.

Oh well, Oregonians truly are weird. Most of the world will never understand them, myself and my dad included :)
  21. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Wait a second... our FanForce City Rep wants to move to California? Isn't that kind of ... lame?

22. Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ^ Well obviously before he moves, you need to elect a new City Rep to take his place.
  23. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I guess I have strong opinions about Californians who move up here and then whine constantly about the weather. Move back to California and spare us all. Sorry if this offends anyone but I am tired of being insulted by our "City Rep."

24. Jek-Porkins Jedi Knight

You're hate has made you powerful.
  25. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey hey now, there has been a major misunderstanding because I am not insulting any Oregonians.

I am not a Californian who has moved up from Oregon my friend! I have been an Oregonian all of my life. I only lived in Los Angeles for 4 months and then I moved back up to Portland and now I am attending school in state too. I like Oregon just fine, and as my dad says, it's the most beautiful place to be during the summer. However, when I graduate college I will be looking for a change of scenery and locations as the work I want to do revolves around the entertainment industry in Los Angeles. I would personally rather live in San Diego though as I think it is more pleasant, but probably I'll just have to live in Los Angeles instead if I want to get into directing.

Anyway, the weather is the only thing that sucks about Oregon. Everything else, I like. The water is great, the people are friendly, we don't have way too overcrowded cities, we don't have sales tax (sales tax is really annoying), and also having to pump your own gas is just stupid (if I'm in a suit and tie going to a meeting, why would I want to pump my own gas?!?! What the hell kind of system is it that forces the customer to do something that should be a service; bah). Oregon is the perfect state in many respects, but for me, the weather is just too bad to want to stay here past college. That is four years away, though. I still will be around Oregon for four years. Then at that point, hopefully our little Fan Force Chapter has grown into a large presence and we can elect a new City Representative, or if Erik (JediWookie) is staying around here, he will be the new rep if everyone at the time is ok with that (as he is my co-rep right now basically). I still intend to visit Oregon a fair amount no matter where I live, so I could drop in for meetings too, that would be sweet :)

Anyway, really, do not get the impression that I am trying to insult you or something! That was not my intent whatsoever, and I hope other posters here didn't think so either, because if so, I am quite sorry as that is not what I meant at all. Plus my comment about Oregonians being crazy for liking the rain was supposed to be a joke, a tongue-in-cheek statement, if you like the rain, more power to ya :)

Peace?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.