Oregon AOTC in IMAX!!!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Strilo, Sep 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh god...

Now they are saying that 23 minutes will be cut from AOTC or whatever just to make it work with IMAX. I'm sorry but that's extremely lame. I will not be driving up to Seattle twice to see that version of the movie, big or not. I'd rather have the entire film on my TV screen on DVD, thank you very much.

Once time it will be worth seeing just to see how it's all done and for the novelty factor, but this is Star Wars. You don't cut out parts of the Bible randomly and make a new edition that fits into a huge coffee table book do you? No. You sure as to hell don't take a perfect film, i.e. any Star Wars film, and start cutting pieces out of it. Adding to it, yeah ok, that is awesome, but not removing MASSIVE parts of it.

As I watched that film for like the 40th time, when I already had read the script and knew what was cut out, I just thought, "Wow, amazing they could fit so much story into only about two hours and fifteen minutes." There sure isn't any room for cutting anything. If anything, they should be adding a lot, but I like the running time of AOTC. It's not much longer than the other SW films, so if they tried to make it even longer it wouldn't feel like it fit quite as well.

I can just see it now, entire parts of the battle on Geonosis will be cut, or the awesome chase at the start through Coruscant will be shortened or some other equally lame thing. I've seen the movie 53 times. I WILL notice if they take out even one second of film. It's just the way it goes with Star Wars, people notice. If I watched a pan and scan copy, I would certainly notice that 42% of my favorite movie has been hacked off.

I'd rather have an intermission in the middle of the movie to change prints. Big deal. That wouldn't be a horrible thing. Yeah it would be MILDLY annoying but I think I could handle it given that it is IMAX, I mean come on, but cutting 23 minutes or whatever, no, that is not a good thing to do.

Anyway, I don't think you can beat seeing AOTC in digital, plain and simple. IMAX isn't digital and it cannot compete with digital quality either. It's just taller, more like a TV screen, but since AOTC was filmed to be displayed in a far different aspect ratio, it doesn't seem to me that you'd get that much better experience seeing it in IMAX than seeing it in digital. Actually, I think it would be worse, personally.

I've yet to see an IMAX theater that was quite as capable as the Cinerama in Seattle. The ones in Las Vegas (IMAX ones) are great, like at the Luxor, but I still think the power of the sound system at the Cinerama is much better and the image is superior too, except for the fact that you can play 3-D IMAX films at the Luxor, sure can't do that at the Cinerama, but the point is that AOTC is not 3-D...

I just know that now when I am watching this thing in IMAX I am not going to be thinking at all, "WOW cool IMAX" or "Whoa I love AOTC," but, "Man I can't believe they cut that scene, and what is this? They took out this scene too? Why did they remove that?" Then 5 minutes will pass and something else will be missing and it'll bother me yet again. Call me anal, but I like my Star Wars movies to be their appropriate length. I don't mind Special Editions (I loved them, actually), but that's because I'm getting MORE bang for my buck, not less.
  2. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    If they really are cutting AOTC to fit in the IMAX format then I will not be seeing it at all. I'll wait 2 more weeks and see it on DVD.
  3. CountBakufu Jedi Knight

star 2
    Omnimax in Portland will not be showing AOTC.

http://www.theforce.net/episode2/imax/

bummer...
  4. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I know I saw that... I am pissed. No word yet on Seattle...

5. DARTH_ANN Jedi Master

star 1
    no seattle,
    bummer.
    I'm not going to drive to Sacremento to see AOTC when it's got 20ish minutes cut from it.
  6. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    Haha, no Seattle either?!

That's ridiculous. This release will not do well if 10 million people in the Pacific Northwest do not even have any access to it. It's not just us 10 million, it's a lot of other millions too.

Sounds to me like only maybe 25% of people nationwide will even have "fairly easy" access to seeing it.
  7. Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It will be playing in Seattle, it just hasn't been announced yet. Has anyone from the Portland chapter of FanForce spoken with whoever is in charge of the IMAX theatre in your region to try and convince them to play the movie? Perhaps when they find out what Lucasfilm plans to do they will agree to it. Bowen has the information on the partnership Lucasfilm would like to have with the various FanForce chapters.
  8. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    Oops, TFN double posted there...

It told me there was an error, but apparently not, it went through... and twice. Hehe, didn't even notice that.
  9. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    So Seattle is NOT finalized then right??

Still, I am not sure I wanna see a 120 minute hack job of AOTC.... not with the DVD out in 12 days from then.

10. Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Seattle is finalized as of today. I sent TFN a notification of it today, perhaps they haven't updated their list yet.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.