main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC is a phantom movie: Why some people don't like it.

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Storm5, May 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Storm5

Storm5 Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2000
    Much like TPM there are so many things going on which regular viewers don't notice when watching the movie. Palpatine not only manipulates the jedi but also the audience. The prequel trilogy builds up to a giant climax where all will be revealed. Maybe this is why some people say there isn't a decent plot in AOTC? Maybe this is why some people don't like the movie? Or maybe this shows how clever Lucas is putting the pieces together? :)

march162015 likes this.
  2. Darth_Doonae

Darth_Doonae Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002
    I think once EPIII is released it'll all just fall together. Lets face it, AOTC make TPM a better film.

3. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Lucas clever putting pieces together? Come on, the man doesn't even know his own movies anymore. There are more plotholes in these two prequel films than in the rest of motion picture history together. And that includes the motion picture industries of other planets as well.

4. Storm5

Storm5 Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2000
    Every so called plothole can easily be explained. :)

5. DARTHSIKNAS

DARTHSIKNAS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2002
    I agree the way he has the "main" story with the behind the scenes story of Sidious is great.And it adds all the more depth to the evil of the sith master who is the one responsible for all the evil in the movies.How evil do you have to be to manipulate an entire galaxy to do your will and all without them knowing at all what your really up to?Genius .

6. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    I'd love to hear some of these "plot holes", Ree Yees

7. Jawa70

Jawa70 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    ...and i'd like to know how AOTC makes TPM a better film. (i've heard this alot.Don't see it myself.)

8. Azzgunther

Azzgunther Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    -jar jar's charactor makes a little more sense now

-developed every charactor...let's face it, you felt like you knew padme, obi wan, sidious, palpatine, and many others.
    plus, schmi died and that had dramatic impact...she was well enough developed to understand anakin's love for her.

-introduced so many new things in one movie like trade federation and their ships and species, locations like coruscant, tatooine, and naboo, techniques in battle and deception used and built upon in AOTC i.e. padme's double being killed in the beginning.

i mean, there are a lot of things that would have sucked in this movie had they not been previously explained and introduced in another movie. at some point, you gotta get the dirty work outta the way. plus, tpm was in my opinion an fine film.

9. HBMC_Kloon

HBMC_Kloon Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2002
    Yeah c'mon Ree Yees.

Give us some "plot holes" *snickers*

BYE

10. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    Darth Sidious is surprised at Amidala's turn-around before the final battle in 'Episode I'. That's an example of a plot hole in that film.

Well, really, I consider the prequels to be two large plot holes in themselves, as they so annoyingly twist and turn the Classic Trilogy around.

In 'Episode II', one plot hole is how the Tusken Raiders keep Shmi alive. As long as the movie doesn't explain why she's kept alive (other than having a reason for Anakin to go to Tatooine), it's a severe dent in Lucas' writing abilities. Anakin hasn't gone to save her for like ten years. That's a big big plot hole, and there is no plausible explanation. He's the Chosen One. He's reckless. He could have flown off to Tatooine and "freed the slaves" as he dreamed of a long time ago.

11. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    He was trying to be a Jedi, the dreams just became to much for him, and he snapped.

As to why the Tusken kept her, I don't know.

12. HBMC_Kloon

HBMC_Kloon Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2002
    Darth Sidious is surprised at Amidala's turn-around before the final battle in 'Episode I'. That's an example of a plot hole in that film.

That's not a plot hole. He was acting surprised. Or maybe he was surprised that she would take up arms.

How is it a plot hole? We don't even know if Palpatin IS Sidious yet (may be a Clone, we don't know). It's not a plot hole.

Well, really, I consider the prequels to be two large plot holes in themselves, as they so annoyingly twist and turn the Classic Trilogy around.

Well yes, apart from the fact that they don't.

In 'Episode II', one plot hole is how the Tusken Raiders keep Shmi alive. As long as the movie doesn't explain why she's kept alive (other than having a reason for Anakin to go to Tatooine), it's a severe dent in Lucas' writing abilities.

What does it matter? Why does EVERY little detail have to be explained. That bogs down every story. And it's not a plot hole, you just couldn't get over it and watch the damn film.

Anakin hasn't gone to save her for like ten years. That's a big big plot hole, and there is no plausible explanation. He's the Chosen One. He's reckless. He could have flown off to Tatooine and "freed the slaves" as he dreamed of a long time ago.

Gee... it may have something to do with, y'know JEDI TRAINING.

Obi-wan's not just gonna let him to running back to Tatooine to free slaves.

Nice try Ree. Maybe next time you'll actually find some holes... God knows all people like you do is look for them... [face_plain]

BYE

13. Jawa70

May 18, 2002
    anyone know what the Tuskens eat? just a thought.

14. KaaShamau

Aug 15, 2000
    I don't know, but they loved the free Jawa barbeque that Ben cooked up for them in ANH.

15. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Lamest. "plotholes". ever.

16. anakin_skywalker_sct

anakin_skywalker_sct Jedi Master star 5

Apr 18, 2001
    The eat people and Banthas as far as I know. They kept her alive, like the novelisation says, to torture her because they were ticked off at humans shooting them and trying to scare them off all the time. Anakin snapped and went to find her because he knew she was in a lot of pain. In TPM, Sidious was surprised because he was surprised. Notice how Palpatine tried to stop her going, he doesn't want her dead yet, he probably already knew he could use her to get The Chosen One on his side. Yeesh, what's wrong with people? You don't want big signs saying "ANAKIN IS GOING EVIL, BY THE WAY" but you want them to explain the plot in detail to you? Why don't we get a narrator to do a voice-over like at the start of disney films, and have them read the opening scroll for you too?

17. Jawa70

May 18, 2002
    also Owen & Beru looked pretty 'well done' at the hands of the Stormies, that was made to look like a Tusken cook out.

i think Shmi was gonna be dinner, i really do.

18. BuffaloJedi

BuffaloJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2000
    Interestingly, as I recall from my youth there was a similar mixed reaction to ESB at first, when it first came out. Many people didn't know what to think about it. But the more it had a chance to sink in, they came to the conclusion that it was the best part of the series. I think it may be a similar thing with AOTC... people's first impression is somewhat distorted... but in time people will recognise how good AOTC really is.

19. KaaShamau

Aug 15, 2000
    Must have been barbeque weather on Tatooine that day.

20. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    Well, why would Sidious be surprised when she just left his office telling him she was going back to claim what was hers?

You must realize that a plot hole remains a plot hole even if you can explain it away outside of the movie itself.

Another 'Episode 2' plot hole is the whole Lars family thing. Owen doesn't recognize 3P0. Yes, so 3P0 is golden in 'ANH', it's still a plot hole.

21. KaaShamau

Aug 15, 2000
    Yes, so 3P0 is golden in 'ANH',

It'd be like not recognising somebody who's wearing a mask...

22. Christovsky

Christovsky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 28, 2002
    If I want to watch ATOC anymore, I'll go rent the TPM DVD.

Come on !!! It's the same as TPM. The only difference is that it is a different movie...

...it's still lame, cheezy, boring, dull, poorly edited and poorly directed...but that's not the worst part...

...people actually thought it was good!

23. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    Go Christovsky!

24. Jawa70

May 18, 2002
    boring and dull are two words that don't spring to mind when i think of AOTC.

25. Christovsky

Christovsky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 28, 2002
    I am just replying to say, "Thank You, Ree Yees."

You are the first person to agree with me on ATOC yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.