main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC is boring compared to what?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Duckman, Jun 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Please don't turn this into a basher/gusher topic like the last one. I just want to discuss the phenomenon of why so many people are claiming AOTC is a boring film.
    First of all, there seems to be a mixed message. Some are saying AOTC is boring because it'll action, no plot. Others are saying it's boring because there isn't enough action. Alan Granted people have different tastes, but just calling a film boring is no argument, at least when it comes to quality.
    Citizen Kang is a boring film. Big Night is a boring film. TPM is boring in some parts. I've even heard some people call the classic trilogy boring. When I saw the Special Editions, I heard many people say that the Tatooine scenes in ANH were dull. People were even bored by ESB. So that shows if people want to be bored by a film, they will. AOTC has plenty of action and spectacle, but some people couldn't get involved in the characters or plot, which is why they call it boring. Not really Lucas' fault, IMO.

2. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    The corny love story is boring compared to the equally corny love story in 'Spiderman'. At least 'Spiderman' had umm...angst (sp?) I believe the term is. 'Course, nothing beats the Buffy/Angel love story, but that's just me. 'Sides, not fair to compare series to movie.

The rest of the movie was not boring, IMHO.

:D

3. Darth-Jedi

Darth-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    If there's one thing I'll never call AOTC, it's boring. It has plenty of flaws but it isn't boring.

4. DarthNomis

DarthNomis Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 2, 2001
    But the Girl in Spiderman wasn't that good to look at, She looked like she was high or somethihg and needed a tan.

At least Natalie was nice on the peepers. :D

On the topic:Why do you constanly care what other people think about the Movie. You love it don't you, then that's enough.

5. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    But the Girl in Spiderman wasn't that good to look at, She looked like she was high or somethihg and needed a tan.

At least Natalie was nice on the peepers

That my friend is a matter of opinion. And if you ask me, Miranda Otto is better looking than both of them!

[face_mischief]

6. DARTH-MUGATU

DARTH-MUGATU Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    That's all relative Duckman. I'm not bored by it at all. I'm not a Sci-Fi or movie snob at all. I get the feeling that at least in some cirles people bash SW because it's the thing to do... especially after TPM (which I liked BTW).

7. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    She did look like she was high.

But, AOTC isn't boring.

8. Darth-Jedi

May 21, 2002
    I thought Kirsten Dunst was particularly good looking in Spiderman, but Natalie IS better on the peepers for sure. :)

9. Gilgamesh2

Gilgamesh2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 16, 2001
    It was just very hard to get into it. It either jumped too much or tried to do to much at once, and just was not very entertaining and that led to boredom for me.

10. Darth-Jedi

May 21, 2002
    Ahh yes I have it, AOTC is boring compared to....sex with Natalie Portman....not that I'd really know, but there ya have it.

11. Sandjo_Koharr

Sandjo_Koharr Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    I second that Darth-Jedi.

12. Darth_Minge2

Darth_Minge2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    I also liked Kirsten (pronounced Keer-sten) Dunst in Spider-Man. I think she is quite hot, but hotter in other films like Crazy/Beautiful and Get Over It. Still, one wouldn't disagree that Natalie Portman is the nicer looking, but I'd go for either of them. I would like to interview Natalie, and that means I would have meet the two of them.

13. AmadeusExMachina

AmadeusExMachina Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    "Citizen Kang is a boring film."

Sweet sassy molassey.......first off bud, it's Citizen KANE, not Kang from the Simpsons Halloween specials, and second off, Citizen KANE is easily one of best films ever made.

If Orson Welles were still alive, he'd probably find movies like AOTC and Spider-Man INCREDIBLY boring, because he was a master storyteller and technician and dramatist, and actually was a master of innovative physical effects. He'd probably hate CGI.

Now, feel free to continue making senseless comments that make Roger Ebert cry. Peace.

p.s.

As far as the topic goes, it's all relative. I didn't find AOTC boring, because I'm a Star Wars fan and it delivered. If someone isn't really into Star Wars, but likes "big explosions" and stuff in movies, they probably didn't find AOTC boring either. The crowd that likely DOES find AOTC boring are those who're film lovers and NOT diehard Star Wars fans......like Mr. Ebert. AOTC didn't really cater to that group at all. They don't like pointless action, they don't love the Star Wars brand name, and so they had nothing to do but stare at CGI for 2 hours. I could imagine how they would find it boring.

14. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    Mesa agreeing with da bombad AmadeusExMachina

:D

15. FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002

FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    I personaly think AOTC is not boring at all.
    Except for the "shaak" bit which is a lil' bit too cheesy, the love scenes are great.

Judging from what my wife and some of my friends and colleagues thought of the film, it appears that the plot is confusing for the average movie goer. They don't know what is important or not, they don't feel the tension. That's maybe one of the resons why some find it boring.

As for the comparison between AOTC and spiderman, let me just say that I'm not a "starwars only" guy. I love FOTR, I enjoyed Matrix, ....
    But I was most disapointed with spiderman :
    -The dany elfman score gave it a Burton Batman feel. Not original at all, cliché. They should have taken a whole different approach for Spidey.
    -The love story is really a cliché superhero lovestory. Nothing interesting. But the casting is good.
    -The vilain is one of the worst in movie history, along with Swarzie's Mr Freeze in batman&robin. Dafoe is ridiculous, and one dimensional.
    -The dialogs between Green Goblin and Spidey are cliché, dejà vu.

I sincerely think that Spidey will be forgotten quite soon. It brings nothing new to super-heroes movies.

Although I understand why the average movie-goer is bored with starwars after 5 movies, I don't know why everyone is so enthused about spidey. It doesn't deserve it.

16. Darth_Minge2

Jun 19, 2002
    Amadeus, wasn't Orson Wells last movie TRANSFORMERS THE MOVIE. A totally brilliant and under rated movie if ever I saw one.

Still, I don't think that people "really" find AOTC boring, it is after all one of the most chocked full movies I have seen, and it doesn't even feel like 90 minutes long, never mind 140 mins.

17. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    Ah, the inevitable 'lets bash all non SW films' will commence soon it seems.

[face_plain]

18. Sithchilde

Sithchilde Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2002
    Nah. I say, lets bash Buffy and Angel instead!

Buffy and Spike rocked. Better acting, a great deal more sophisticated plot wise , miles more sexual chemistry...

Errr, what was the topic again?

19. FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002

FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    LURKING_AROUND,

I can't let you say that.

I really love Jackson's FOTR and think it is better than AOTC, and maybe even ESB, I love Burton's Batman, Matrix, Dark City, and many others. And I'm not talking about non-sf movies !

So please, don't misunderstand me.

I have the right to criticize Spiderman, because I really think it is the most over rated movie in recent history. The fact is that there is nothing original about spidey. Not one little thing. It's just another superhero movie. That's my opinion.

20. Darth-Jedi

May 21, 2002
    Darth_Minge2

Let's not forget that opinion doesn't = fact.

People are so diverse and different throughout the world, often even within one household, and how someone views something is all a matter of their opinion.

You'll find that many of the truths we cling to, are based entirely on our own point of view.

Every person sees a different movie really, because their brain interprets it different than anyone else. I just feel bad for those who don't have a good time.

21. Darth_Minge2

Jun 19, 2002
    I never said opinion=fact, and if it seems like that I'm sorry. If that was the case think of all the bashers. We'd just have to shoot them. ;)

22. AmadeusExMachina

AmadeusExMachina Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    "Amadeus, wasn't Orson Wells last movie TRANSFORMERS THE MOVIE. A totally brilliant and under rated movie if ever I saw one."

Hardy har har. Ignorance is really not cool. Yes, Orson Welles made his last appearence in that "film" (i own the dvd, i'm a nerd) because he needed a paycheck. If you knew your history, you'd know that after making the GREATEST MOTION PICTURE OF ALL TIME, Welles was blacklisted in Hollywood by media mogul William Randolph Hearst due to the scandalization of the Hearst empire that was Citizen Kane. Although Welles did manage to make a major splash in one other classic film, The Third Man.

So Orson Welles made the best film of all time, and starred in another of the greats. Not a bad resume.

And besides, pointing out low points is asinine. Lucas was responsible for bringing Howard the Duck to the big screen, but you don't see me bringing that up, do you?

yea, i guess i just did.

23. DarthUndertow

DarthUndertow Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2002
    Ah, the inevitable 'lets bash all non SW films' will commence soon it seems.

lol, yup here it comes. Bash the movie that slammed aotc at the Box office time.

Anyways, back to the topic....

I didnt find it boring, but i can understand if non-star war fans found it boring. I can also see them getting bored with the acting/dialogue, and with the corny (and not believible) love story...hell even i was waiting for those scenes to end.

24. JEDI-PIMP_TRICKS

JEDI-PIMP_TRICKS Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2002
    I agree with the post about SM it was good, but, not great. The green Goblin was a horrible character, I thought his costume was cheesy. But I think the reason why people seemed to like it and Bash AOTC is because SM has finality. I think a lot of non-traditional SW fans cant see all the plot twists,character development, and what it ultimately leads to, because it is a 3 part series. If the whole series where viewed at once some of these people probably would think it was a great movie, because then they would understand what was happenening and why it was happening. I myself Loved ATOC and I even like TPM even though I saw the flaws in both. But I can appreciate them because I can see the whole story, the whole picture, some people who are not into SW have a hard time doing that.

For example, Minority Report was a great film and most poeple seem to think so, but with all of its Plot developments and twists, if you made that into 3 different movies then people probably would not like the seperate movies as much, because they wouldnt understand the significance of certain lil events in one movie that lead to something else later on down the line.

25. k_dog77803

k_dog77803 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2002
    I was kinda board with the love story parts. I liked Obi-wans story arc way better, I didnt like it when he was on Kamino and all this cool stuff is going on, it cuts back to boring talking about feelings and stuff.

I wanted to see aliens and action, not sitting around talking about how Anakin cant breath. Anakin's story arc didnt get good until he started looking for his mom!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.