main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC is boring compared to what?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Duckman, Jun 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    The love story in Spider-Man wasn't that great. I normally like Kirsten Dunst, but her face looked funny. I blame Sam Raimi for shooting her wrong. Notice how Lucas takes care to make Natalie look more gorgeous than ever in each shot?

2. DarthNomis

DarthNomis Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 2, 2001
    "TRANSFORMERS THE MOVIE" is THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE. 8-}

Second only to Citizen Kang. ;)

3. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    i wasn't bored by AOTC but I can see why some people are bored.

Lots of action does not equal lots of excitement. As a matter of fact too many explosions in a row can be very boring for somebody who needs more drama to get involved.

Bruckheimer films bore me to death and I gave up watching them. What's that movie with Nic Cage where he's on a prisoner flight and mjore or less an entire city (Las Vegas if I remember right) was blown up at the end. There was just so much action and so many explosions that I gave up caring long before the film ended. Boring.

Also- put yourself into the shoes of somebody hwo's not a SW fan. To a normal person Yoda fighting might be boring since they might not know Yoda so for them it's just another saber fight

4. Darth-Solo

Darth-Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    IMO Citizen Kane is a VERY over-rated movie that doesn't hold up anymore. While I don't give it an F ,I give it about as low a D as there is. Quite boring and slow. Gotta defend Spiderman. I personally felt it was the best movie I've ever seen. I love AOTC as well,and I think I can watch it more than Spiderman. No movies can be watched over and over like a Star Wars movie.

5. k_dog77803

k_dog77803 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2002
    What about House Party. You can watch that movie over and over again and never get tired of it!

6. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Personally, I was bored by SM. It had action sequences that were to short and didn't impress me in the slightest. I also thought it dragged on and on between those short sequences. However, overall I'd give SM a B. It had a relatively good story and was interesting, but I wouldn't rate it higher than THE FIRST Batman movie.

AOTC, on the other hand, was well edited and extremely well-paced. The intercutting of Obi-Wan's Kamino investigation and the love story was great IMHO, because it prevented the story from dragging. I didn't find AOTC boring, but hey, to each his own.

7. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    "So Orson Welles made the best film of all time"
    Amadeus that is opinion. Some may say Godfather or Godfather 2 or GWTW were the best films ever made. It is all opinion. I loved AOTC. Not boring at all.

8. Darth_Minge2

Darth_Minge2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    Amadeus, you have got me all wrong.

Why do you think that Orson starring in an animated film is a low point. I was merely pointing out that you said he would probably find AOTC boring ad hate special effects, but his last film before meeting his maker was an animated film. Not real. Imagination and drawing talent. The same as CGI.

Lucas, what about Willow? ;)

9. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    How does Citizen Kane, a film that's 60+ years old keep coming up in these discussions? Because it revolutionized filmmaking and is firmly rooted in cinema history, that's why. I can only assure naysayers that it is hardly overrated. Boring? Well, that's a matter of opinion just like people who found AOTC to be boring. Now, Citizen Kang definitely sounds very intriguing. :D

10. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    "Citizen Kane is easily one of the best movies ever made."

Again, it's a matter of opinion (nor am I always in the habit of readily agreeing with the AFI).

Just as it is a matter of opinion about how boring AOTC is.

11. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    How does Citizen Kane, a film that's 60+ years old keep coming up in these discussions? Because it revolutionized filmmaking and is firmly rooted in cinema history, that's why

The same could be said of the OT and the PT thus far.

12. Sandjo_Koharr

Sandjo_Koharr Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    "Kneel before my slingshot puny Earthling!"

Excerpt from "Citizen Kang"

13. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    my god, it is so tedious to always read how some people dismiss a post as "just opinion" or something. Guys, I hate to break it to you, but this is a discussion forum so EVERY SINGLE POST HERE IS AN OPINION, that's the whole point of this. Don't dismiss somebody's point of view as "just an opinion"

14. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    It may be somewhat debatable about whether Citizen Kane deserves a number one ranking but you can only go so far before you have to acknowledge that it deserves, at the very least, to be in the top ten. That's an opinion that can be backed up with a mountain of evidence. The fact that it still gets mentioned and recognized is a testament to its legacy and longevitiy.

15. Jedi-Hosinsul

Jedi-Hosinsul Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    I felt that AOTC was a very entertaining movie and not boring at all. However, if you are a non-fan then I can see how in certain places you could get bored during certain sequences of the movie. Also, AOTC is a very plot-heavy movie that some people could not get into which would cause a feeling of boredom. Some people being confused at what was going on can lead to boredom as well. Ultimately this movie was meant to leave you feeling unsure of what is going to happen next because that is the structure of serials. In truth, this movie is meant to be seen before all the others and therefore leave feeling a little confused.

BTW...spiderman was a good movie that was meant to be fun and light.

16. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    The same could be said of the OT and the PT thus far

I think the jury's still out on the PT. And as much as I enjoy ESB and ROTJ, ANH is the one that is frequently cited as being revolutionary. If you'd care to elaborate a bit more, I can elaborate some more on why Citizen Kane is still considered a masterpiece.

Tukafo, I agree. These discussions seem kind of boring when people just dismiss everything as individual opinion and don't bother to back anything up with some evidence or reasons why they hold a certain opinion.

17. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    The English Patient is boring. How Star Wars(even if you think is horrible) compares to the boringness of the English Patient is ridiculous.

18. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    In response to the original post, I loved AOTC. It's just that for every film, some people just aren't into it and so they find it boring. It's not necessarily a reflection on the film itself as much as the personal tastes and preferences of the viewer.

19. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Citizen KANE is easily one of best films ever made.

I agree. However, it is boring as hell. And the acting and dialogue are HORRIBLE. Can you believe someone actually says "Let's go to the window!" Orson Welles is not a particularly good actor but he is okay in the movie. The actress who played one of his wives (I think it was the theatrical actress/dancer/singer) was absolutely horrid. People should quit complaining about Natalie Portman after they see that horrible performance in Citizen Kane.

20. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Citizen KANE is easily one of best films ever made.

From a filmmaking standpoint :)

21. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    From a filmmaking standpoint

Yeah that was kind of the point of my post just above yours.

22. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    It's unfair to compare the acting in Citizen Kane to the acting we are familiar with today. Before actors like Brando changed the acting style in the 50's, you'll notice that the acting in the older films is much more "stagey." This is a holdeover from the style of the theatre actors who jumped from stage to screen when cinema first started. It wasn't until Brando where movie acting became more naturalized. Orsen Welles was actually considered one of the best actors of his time. And his work as Charles Kane was considered one of the best performances of the time.

23. AmadeusExMachina

AmadeusExMachina Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    "I agree. However, it is boring as hell."

Let's review. You're now a prequel trilogy gusher and a Citizen Kane basher. Your taste in film is tres magnifique.

"And the acting and dialogue are HORRIBLE."

No, the acting was good, and the dialogue was good. It won best original screenplay, actually. The academy hated Welles and still gave him an Oscar, the script was so good.

"Can you believe someone actually says "Let's go to the window!""

Considering that he wanted everyone to follow him to the window, and then they did, yes, I can believe someone in Citizen Kane said that. Can you believe Padme somehow knew about the hangar that Dooku had gone to?

"Orson Welles is not a particularly good actor but he is okay in the movie."

Again, his performances as Kane and as Harry Lime in "The Third Man" are two of the best performances in the history of cinema. And no, the AFI didn't tell me this, my own eyes did. Go rent those.

"The actress who played one of his wives (I think it was the theatrical actress/dancer/singer) was absolutely horrid."

How would you know? How many 1940's opera stars have you ever met?

"People should quit complaining about Natalie Portman after they see that horrible performance in Citizen Kane."

Yea, you sure told em! Common sense be damned, AotC was better than Citizen Kane, right?

HAHAHA

24. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Yea, you sure told em! Common sense be damned, AotC was better than Citizen Kane, right?

Don't be an idiot. You're putting words into my mouth. I still think Citizen Kane is the best film ever made, but hardly much fun to watch. You're now being a Citizen Kane apologist. "Let's go to the window!" is a line reserved for Ric Olie, and Rick Olie alone. It was a totally unnecessary, poorly written, and poorly acted line. And I didn't think much of Orson Welles' performance either. I thought it was adequate.
    "How would you know? How many 1940's opera stars have you ever met?"

Then I can use the argument that EVERY ACTOR in AOTC and EVERY SINGLE SW MOVIE is the BEST ACTOR EVER because you've never met anyone from outer space before and therefore you cannot judge their performance based real life people.

25. Darth_Minge2

Darth_Minge2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    Amadeus

The acting was very much "theatre" like in those days, and as such doesn't fit in OUR time.
    Just because the Academy gave it best original screenplay doesn't mean that its any good. Gosford Park didn't deserve it this year (Royal Tenenbaums :) )

Orson Welles was regarded by many to be a great actor, but that is a great actor of his time. Now a days it is inferior because realism is what most actors strive for. Bobby De Niro is a great example. Method Acting = Greater realism.

Amadeus, you preach too much. What age are you, 50, 60. Thats how old you sound and I'n not trying to offend you. And I'm not going to see the Director's Cut of your film ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.