main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC is boring compared to what?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Duckman, Jun 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi_Wan_Kerobi2

Obi_Wan_Kerobi2 Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2002
    Tokyo, your last line summed up your whole post and LIFE:

"This is boring because I didn't get to play swords with them. I could only watch. "

You are obviously not a real film fan, and don't have much interest in the medium. You sound like you are from the "playstation" generation, where interactivity is the name of the game. Maybe when the DVD comes out there will be a game on it you can play. Now, away and play with your plastic lightsabre child, it can get pretty rough in here kid.

On a side note, it must have taken a loooong time to write that, and I don't see what you were trying to achieve. Sarcasm? Humor? Bashing? All of these?

Anyway, I've seen you bashing AOTC before, so you will never have my respect. Its fine if you don't like it, but to whine for no reason is just immature and silly.

2. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    Oh, I misquoted you?

"I found this funny,especially since you stated that right after you quoted me acknowledging the two you mentioned"

For the second time, here is your quote:

"Citizen Kane's shelf life wasn't very long. The movie industry changed for the better,and left it in the dust. "

Since JohnWilliams00 and I have pretty much dismissed that statement with evidence that you so casually ignore, I'll move on to your other lame comments.

"Deep Focus cinematography can be accomplished in many ways. Color is used to seperate the elements in a frame,selective focus can also do this,and supertight framing can give the illusion. More than one way to skin a cat. Tell your cinematography friends to stop laughing and they might learn something."

Do you get that "deep focus" refers to a specific technique of overlighting and stopping down? Using "color to separate the elements in a frame" has nothing to do with creating depth of field in the lens! But keep up the amateur comments, I'll keep forwarding them to my cinematographer friends (one of which has been nominated for an Oscar, but I guess he can learn something from you).

"Most of the movie going public has no interest in watching a black and white movie,with pacing that is slower than what is considered "popular cinema" This does not mean that they are not as intellegent as someone who does enjoy such movies. "

By your definition, the only movie people are intersted in are color films that fit your definition of "popular cinema". What arrogance! I, for one, think that there's enough room for all kinds of movies and that people aren't as closed minded as you are as to dismiss something because it's old and in black and white.

"The art form stands better when it entertains"

By who's definition of entertainment? Your's? Will Darth Solo be giving lessons to everyone as to what is entertaining? What is a person finds a movie like CRIES AND WHISPERS "entertainment"? Some people find theater to be "entertaining"? If it doesn't fit your definition of it, then it's not? In your own words, how "pompous" of you to make those comments. As if we all need to submit to your definition of "entertainment".

"I will give you a detailed,scene by scene critique of Citizen Kane"

OH PLEASE! Yes! Especially educate me on the use of "deep focus" cinematography. I mean, after you get your foot out of your mouth. Seriously...I live for the ensuing laughter of the moment after you "give a detailed, scene by scene critique of Citizen Kane". I'll be sure to forward it to Film Comment magazine.

"what did GL do to revolutionize sound?(hint:THX)"

THX is a film standard, not a technical advance. It establishes a series of exhibition standards that are considered optimal for the theatrical environment. Kubrick had similar standards written into his contract for his movies. What Lucas did was put everything under one label and force theaters nationwide to apply those standards in order to to carry the THX label. It is not a technical reference. Don't argue with me on this one: Tom Holman, the author of the THX standards, taught film sound at my class at USC. You're wrong on this one. What JohnWilliams00 and I are referring to is the aesthetic use of sound. Lucas certainly was CREATIVE and inspired, but that's different from revolutionary.

"TTT is a better example of fragmented storytelling,although ANH and LOTR have those elements"

Oh boy...explain this one. First of all, I'll assume TTT refers to TWO TOWERS, a movie not even finished yet, so I don't know how you could know what "storytelling" it has. Secondly, how exactly is ANH and LOTR "fragmented" storytelling? One of the ANH's virtue is that its STRAIGHTFORWARD storytelling, as is LOTR! Straightforward in an Old Republic Serial fashion, the antithesis of "fragmented storytelling"! Do you understand what "fragmented" storytelling is? I'll give examples again: CITIZEN KANE, THE KILLING, PULP FICTION, MEMENTO!!! I had to re-read that comment many, many times to make sure I didn't misunderstand you. I can

3. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    Darth Fisto

"Bresson, you really are a stuck up individual. You can't stand the fact that the points Darth Solo makes are his opinion but are obviously backed up by evidence of why he feels like this. "

So he's allowed to express his opinion and I'm not? Why? Because his opinion is in line with yours? Sorry if I don't march in step, but I'm entitled to think for myself. And I think I've had enough "evidence" to back up my own opinons.

"You are trying to shove your opinion down his throat as if Citizen Kane is "the best film ever made, FACT.". Its an opinion, but you are trying to make it fact."

No, I'm stating the facts that back up my opinion. And I never said KANE was the greatest film of all time. I don't sit around ranking movies. My initial outrage was over Darth Solo's careless comment that the movie had a "short shelf life" and was of no influence, when, as I've shown, its reverberations continue to be felt by almost every movie made today.

"I think Kane is a brilliant film, but I don't listen to critics who praise it because its old and "classic". You sound like an old hack that can't really make up their own opinion and just type what they have read elsewhere."

Again, wrong and you're exhibiting signs of your own, as Darth Solo would say, "pompous" attitude. An "old hack"? Why? Because a person loves movies and hates it when someone knocks one to upgrade another? Then, fine. I'm an old hack. If you want to get into some serious name calling, let me know.

"You don't back up what you say and you manipulate what Solo said"

Back up what I said? Only in three long posts with supporting evidence. If you can read, I would suggest you scroll back and take a look before you make anymore asinine comments.

4. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    (not directed at anyone inparticular)

There's enough hot air in this thread to fill a dozen blimps.

5. DarthNomis

DarthNomis Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 2, 2001
    And you Just add to it. [face_devil]

6. AttackoftheCorn

AttackoftheCorn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    One should not need to bash Citizen Kane (Kang?) in order to justify Star Wars, or vice versa. There is such thing as liking more than one movie, while comparing and contrasting films in a critical, reasonable manner.

That said, I loved AOTC. I found the characters engaging and complex, the story interesting, and the battle scenes outstanding. Disagree if you must, but respect my opinion, because I respect yours.

To top what was said earlier, the only thing that could top AOTC for me would be a threesome with Natalie and Kirsten [face_devil]

7. endboss

endboss Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<"endboss" is one of them, a sour individual, an obviously young kid>>>

I'm not the old man Darth-Solo is, but I'm not exactly a "young kid" either.

<<<or immature individual that loves to put other people down.>>>

I admit, I often grin at knowing just how to make many of you flip-out. Hearing grown men yell at me for criticizing the flaws in their fave space movie is entertaining. I suppose that's a little immature of me. I'll try to give it up.

8. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    OK, back on topic:

AOTC is boring, compared to... Tron

AOTC and Tron are both movies that deal with largely fabricated backgrounds. However, Tron has the distinct advantage of having Jeff Bridges as the endlessly charismatic Flynn. To its credit, AOTC has Ewan McGregor, but unfortunately he's not in the majority of the film.

True, AOTC has lightsabers, which are cooler than deadly discs. But Tron's action sequences are kept quick and crisp, whereas AOTC's battles tend to drag on. This does not apply however to the AOTC saber battle, which was mysteriously short.

Finally, Tron had David Warner starring as all three of the main villains. AOTC's villains were spread across several people, and none of them had a quote as gravy as "end of line".

9. Obi_Wan_Kerobi2

Obi_Wan_Kerobi2 Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2002
    I have read all these posts and as some one said, there is a lot of hot air in here.

endboss, thanks for pushing the valve and lightening things up a bit. ;)

Darth Solo, I see your points.
    Bresson, I also see you points.
    Darth Fisto, yes Besson has a stick up his a**, but he is entitled to bitch all he wants.

I can't see where all this Citizen Kane stuff came from (oh yeah, Kang :p ). Kane is a good film that is loved by critics. These critics are the same people that bash all the Star Wars movies and practically every movie that comes out. Now, I have always thought that these critics see so many films that they are sick of the sight of another one and like to do nothing other than rip it apart in a review. It is very easy to rip a film to shreds. Kane is not the best film ever made IMO. There is no "best film ever made" and as Bresson said, why rank films. There are just sooooooo many films that its impossible to rank them in a definitive list. So lets all remember that Star Wars rocks, always will and always has, thats all that needs to be said on a site like this (Star Wars orientated, not Citizen Kang :p )

Side note: I am currently saving $24,000 of my own hard cash to make a film of my own. I have wrote the script and that budget is $2000 over my estimation (don't want to run out of dough and not have a complete film). I will be showing it at Cannes in 3 years (2005) and at the Edinburgh International Film Festival. It is a clever script and a very original idea. I know a little about film so I promise it will be good. One of my friends (not revealing who he/she is) is semi famous, and the film buffs will know who they are. :)

10. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    This is definitly a basher thread that's gone on way too long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.