main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga AotC Missing Moment Satellite Theatre I: Still Playing NOT INVISIBLE

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by leia_naberrie, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    DISCLAIMER: LUCASFILM owns Star Wars not me...They don't know me and I'm not ripping them off... I'm just an average Jane who writes for therapy...

COVER ART by obaona

:) Thanks for clicking!

I present to you my humble bouquet of Episode II-based stories: narrative, introspective and occasionally, slightly AU. There's drama, romance, humour, angst, action, horror... :) The Theatre, as I have pretentiously named it, consists of three threads: 1 Main Theatre and 2 Satellite Theatres.

20th February 2004: The Complete Stories Index for the AotC Missing Moments Theatres.

MAIN THEATRE:

A FAMILIAR PRESENCE

NOT TO BE TRUSTED

SOOTHING PRESENCE {PADMÉ}: ACHING

SOOTHING PRESENCE {ANAKIN}: SOOTHING

DEDICATED TO SERVICE (3/3)

MORNING AT THE NABERRIES

A PERFECT MOMENT

SLEEP NO MORE

SATELLITE THEATRE I:

COUNSELLING (4/4)

TATOOINE INCIDENT {SHMI}: JUST BEFORE DAWN

TATOOINE INCIDENT {SHMI}: COMPLETE

TATOOINE INCIDENT {BERU/ANAKIN}: AIDE MEMOIRE

TATOOINE INCIDENT {BERU/PADMÉ}: DESERT BRAIDS

TATOOINE INCIDENT {THE FARMERS}: RAIDING THE RAIDERS

TATOOINE INCIDENT {THE LARS' FAMILY}: HEALING - Currently playing

SATELLITE THEATRE II:
    NOT INVISIBLE (3/3)

ENJOY! :D :D :D :D :D

2. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    A big thank you to all my wonderful beta-readers: Bobill, Dally and Knight-Ander. You guys really are the best. So sorry for spoiling the story for you.

Summary:

This scene covers a missing moment early in AOTC between the scene when the Jedi arrive at Amidala?s apartment and the later scene when Anakin rescues her from the worms. It?s the scene where Padmé and Anakin hatch a plan to catch the assassin, using Padmé as bait.

3. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002

NOT INVISIBLE

...Our presence will be invisible my lady, I can assure you... ?Jedi Master Kenobi

PART 1 DISRUPTIVE

I am aware that the additional security may be disruptive for you? ? Chancellor Palpatine

It was late evening in Coruscant.

After an unusually hectic morning and afternoon at work, the Senator from Naboo and her entourage had returned to the Senator?s apartment just in time to receive the new members of the Senator?s personal security detail. The meeting, though brief, had been very tiring. Throughout its duration, Amidala had seethed with private irritation as she weighed on one hand the disruption to her work that the additional security would cost her and, on the other hand, the pointless waste of manpower that would have been more effectively utilized in investigating the actions of Count Dooku.

She said as much to Bail Organa, the senator from Alderaan, via comlink that evening. She was working at an improvised bedside desk in her sleeping chambers after having been summarily kicked out of her own office in order for the Jedi to implement ?security modifications? (to quote the Jedi Master himself) into its arrangement.

Bail chose to use that opportunity to inform her that on reflection, he was of two minds in this particular issue. Bail was very tactful.

?Dooku seems to have targeted you specifically, Amidala. The additional security is not entirely superfluous. And of course,? he added hastily as she drew in breath for a sharp reply, ?this is the best opportunity you have of persuading the Jedi to instigate an investigation.?

Padmé mentally replayed the conversation that Master Kenobi had had with his apprentice. Anakin Skywalker had definitely seen eye to eye with her. She tried to imagine his Master pleading her case to the Jedi Council.

She shook her head at her hand-held viewscreen. ?Not these Jedi. No.?

The door to her private chambers opened. She looked up sharply but relaxed when Dormé entered the room. Padmé returned to her conversation with Bail and gestured a negative to the handmaiden when Dormé attempted to remove the almost untouched, now lukewarm meal from her desk. Idly, she noted the thin line of discontent between Dormé?s brows. Padmé didn?t blame her; she had specifically requested for the meal to be served to her as she worked and she had proceeded to simultaneously hold a dialogue with Bail and type out a report on her data pad.

?You will keep me informed of any new ?developments?, of course,? she said with false lightness, enunciating her words carefully so that he would not miss the emphasis. Out of the corner of her eye, she watched Dormé bustle about the room, tidying up Padmé?s personal effects with unnecessary abruptness.

?Hopefully, before tomorrow, I should be able to recover that old report that you requested for,? Bail replied calmly.

Her heart leapt. ?I?d appreciate that very much.? She kept her tone cool. The conversation continued easily, touching on subjects both professional and otherwise. After keeping up the charade for a few minutes, they finally terminated the link.

?My lady, would you like me to send up for another meal?? Dormé sweetly nagged, as she packed into a box the data cubes Padmé had placed on the floor by her feet.

Padmé smiled at her brightly. ?Thank you, Dormé, but I?m fine.? She poked at the plate until her fork latched on something and she managed not to flinch when she swallowed the lukewarm morsel.

Dormé was mollified. She started arranging Padmé?s work-in-progress file.

Padmé looked up from the concluding paragraph in her report. ?Dormé, what are you doing??

?Have you forgotten?? Her handmaiden answered vaguely as she tried to take the data-pad from Padmé. Padmé held onto it until Dormé looked at her with some surprise. ?The Jedi asked for you to remain in the living room this evening?? Padmé?s eyes flashed. ?They need to inspect your private chambers,? ad

4. LittleLeia56

LittleLeia56 Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2003
    Salut, realy like this missing moment. :D :D :D ;D

5. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Terrific missing moment. The action itself is very constrained, but you manage to build up a lot of tension in every single interaction that takes place - between Padme and Bail, Dorme's disapproval, the press of Padme's work, the Jedi intrusion - and of course, the memory of the pair of blue eyes that were absent but not out of the picture at all...

Very well done!

6. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Where did you guys come from? [face laugh]
    I can't believe I'm getting reviews less than an hour after I posted the PMs!

LittleLeia56: Welcome :D . Glad you like it!

geo3
    the memory of the pair of blue eyes that were absent but not out of the picture at all...

They are rather unforgettable aren't they? :D

Part 2 follows ASAP!

7. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002

PART 2 A FAMILIAR PRESENCE

Perhaps with a familiar presence, the mystery surrounding this threat would be revealed ? Senator Amidala

Anakin clamped down on his annoyance as he went to find his Master. He doubted if Captain Typho would have felt the need to scrutinize and question every alteration in the lounge security if it had been Obi-Wan that had co-ordinated.

Be mindful of your...

Anakin cut off the mental reprimand before his Master could complete it. This was the assignment he had dreamed about since becoming a Jedi and he was not going to let Obi-Wan?s persistent nagging spoil it for him.

Master Obi-Wan was in the Senator?s bedroom. With the ease of old habit, Anakin stretched out in the Force to find the Senator herself. She was also in the bedroom. His steps faltered as he reached the door.

?Come in, Padawan. Don?t be shy.? came Obi-Wan?s wry voice.

It was targeted to exasperate but, even knowing that, Anakin did not hide the rise of annoyance quickly enough. He opened the door and fumbled over the threshold to glare at Obi-Wan?s bland face.

?Captain Typho would like to go over some of the arrangements with you, Master,? he said as politely as possible. He knew Obi-Wan was expecting him to gawk immaturely, so he held his Master's gaze steadily while he took in every aspect of Padmé's room. Under normal circumstances, it might have been a pleasant enough place with soft blue colours and stylish furnishings. Right then, it was far from serene with furniture lying about haphazardly and the window blinds in the process of being re-installed. The only sane spot was a corner of the large bed in a corner of the room where Padmé was. She was surrounded by data pads, data cubes and filo-faxes and appeared to be working steadily at her bed table despite the racket going on. She was sitting like a cat, with her legs curled up underneath her. Her hair was down and she was wearing a thin robe over an even thinner jumpsuit. She looked like a little girl, she was that tiny.

It took Anakin every bit of self-possession not to turn his head and stare.

?Go over them with me?? Obi-Wan was asking. ?What, isn?t he confident of your work?? His eyes twinkled.

Anakin wanted to shrug but he knew Obi-Wan would not let him off that easily. ?I suppose not, Master.?

Obi-Wan smirked then he turned to Officer Neeroy and instructed him to carry on in his absence. He turned to go and Anakin sneaked a glance at Padmé. His heart jumped. She was watching him, head inclined a bit to one side and an appraising look in her eyes. He held her gaze steadily. She looked away first.

Obi-Wan just stopped short of literally dragging his apprentice out of the room.

8. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    *snicker*

Obi-Wan just stopped short of literally dragging his apprentice out of the room.

9. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    It's up, oh it's up! Hehe cool!!! Must keep yap closed about what happens...

10. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Nice post there. ;)

11. Lando_Plenty

Lando_Plenty Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2002
    Nice post!
    You bring out the details so well. Like the all too real 'stare at each other, until one looks away' thing that Anakin does to padme. :p

I like the Obi-wan/Anakin relationship here.
    ?Come in, Padawan. Don?t be shy.? [face_laugh] Obi-wan's a bit mischievous...

--Thanks for the PM, much appreciated.

12. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002

PART 3 A DANGEROUS SITUATION

? The situation is more dangerous than the Senator would admit. ? Captain Typho

It was the apprentice that returned later. Padmé listened gravely as he stammered an explanation of Master Kenobi needing to handle some other section of the apartment. She shrugged: he owed her no explanation; and returned to her work. After a pause during which she could feel him watching her, he turned away and continued where his Master had left off.

She was distracted almost immediately.

?No, not there. The far corner would be better.?

It seemed that Anakin was not quite satisfied with the way Kenobi had positioned the observation cameras. The security officer setting them up gave a reply she was unable to hear.

?He did? But see here,? Anakin said, pulling the man down from the stool and scaling it himself. ?The light is going to hit the walls this way after sunset. If you fix the camera there, it?s only going to see shadows. But here? see??

Apparently the man did; he gave Anakin a grin as the latter jumped off the stool. Anakin looked up in time to catch her watching him. She looked away.

It was extremely distracting.

To start with, it was fascinating watching him work with people. While Kenobi had been a didactic supervisor, Anakin was more demonstrative. He carried the other men along, showing them by example what he wanted done, explaining whenever he had to modify any of Kenobi?s improvisations and now and then even asking for their opinions. He moved as he worked, going from one corner of the room to the other, climbing up and jumping off stools with astonishing agility. The men relaxed around him and the sombreness of her room reduced in proportion. Padmé wondered if she had better ask Dormé anyway to help her move to the lounge.

?Okay, let?s keep it down a bit,? Anakin called out over the soft rumble. The volume went down at once. She looked up in surprise and he gave her a level gaze. ?Sorry about that, Senator.? He looked away at once but even she could see the effort it cost him.

That was the other distracting thing. Every now and then, Padmé would look up and it would be just in time to catch him looking away. It was getting harder and harder to sneak glances at him. Whenever she did, he would deliberately hold her gaze in a sort of silent challenge that she did not even want to try and understand. She was always the first to look away.

Just looking at him was distracting. There was something about the little boy attitude in a man?s body that was extremely distracting.

Padmé glared at her console, immediately felt the hairs on the back of her neck prick and sighed loudly.

?Anakin!?

?Yes, my lady??

She had his immediate attention. He had taken a few steps towards her and his blue eyes were almost jumping out of his face in eagerness. Startled, Padmé wondered what he could possibly have imagined she was calling him for.

He was still waiting. Padmé suddenly realized that she had no idea why she had called him like that.

?This is such a waste of time!? she snapped quickly to cover her confusion.

He was equally confused if the expression on his face was any indication. ?You mean - ?

She gained momentum. ?You and Master Kenobi... All these extra security features. I mean,? she added, shifting around on her bed so she could sit up a little as she spoke to him, ?you said it - protection is for the local security not Jedi.?

Anakin managed to look both embarrassed and pleased at the same time.

?I- I spoke out of line,? he stammered. ?I should not have contradicted my Master like that.?

?Well, you were right,? Padmé said bluntly. His eyes seemed to shine at her. Padmé was immediately wary. ?Please don?t listen to me,? she said quickly, ?I certainly am no expert on Jedi etiquette.? She picked up her work again.

His eyes dimmed momentarily and then blazed back at once. ?Master Obi-Wan just wants to follow the Council?s instructions. And so do I,? he added e

13. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    Argh! [face_shocked]

Brilliant take on this missing moment! :cool:

Okay, first thing's first...what's happening there between Padme and Bail? The interaction was well...suspicious. ;) Is something happening there? Or is it my imagination?

leia, you done a scene I really wanted to see. As usual the Anakin/Padme interaction is incredible. :D

Obi-Wan hinting at Anakin throught that don't be shy coment was funny and wicked on Obi-Wan's part! [face_devil] But nicely worked in there leia!

Just looking at him was distracting. There was something about the little boy attitude in a man?s body that was extremely distracting.

Oh, that's Anakin all right. [face_love] Your descriptions are perfect, girl... :cool:

"You still are that angel to me, Padmé. You always will be. And no amount of carefully chosen barbs can change that either.?

Argh! I swoon, I swoon, I fall flat on the floor! [face_love] Argh! If he said that to me I'd just flip and fall off the bed! [face_love]

Brilliant.... the expression on my face right now is a dreamy (and silly) one!

Queen Amidala as the doll-warrior of justice and integrity, passion and ideals.

Beautiful line...nicely crafted. I like the choice of words. :)

She paused fractionally at the door, waiting.

Then:

?Good evening, my lady.?

She felt Anakin?s eyes touch her back just before Dormé shut the door.

Oh, you don't disappoint at all, leia. :D That was a smash of an ending! :D Got the PM today and I knew I had to make a date with this story tonight. :)

It was a fantastic read...keep it up girlfriend and when you post again...give me a holler okay? ;)

Now...UPPPPPPPPPPPPPP! :D

14. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Awwwwwwwwww! [face_love]

15. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    You've really got these characters nailed, the interaction is so credible and so...well-done! UP!

16. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Another amazing vignette! :D I have difficulty making comments because I feel like I want to comment on everything.

The highlights: Anakin's subtle tension with Obi-Wan was very well done. It's not the direct confrontation of the earlier scenes in the film -- it's begrudging concessions. Which in a way is darker, more sinister...

I loved the way you wrote Padme as wavering between seeing Anakin as a boy and as the man he has grown into (or both at the same time). Very interesting.

I also particularly liked the running theme of self-consciousness, by Anakin and mostly by Padme. It really captures the awkwardness of this initial reunion. And I like that Padme is a bit standoffish -- instead of simply being entranced by the gorgeous hunk. Which she is, of course, but her conscious mind is totally oblivious to it... It's only the subtle features (like the heat and the discomfort and feeling his eyes on her) that show up, not thoughts of an attraction. It's a great portrayal of her reactions.

Marvelous as always! Can't wait for more! :D

17. LittleLeia56

LittleLeia56 Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2003
    Really like the story and hi to everybody. :)

18. KSA

KSA Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2003
    Good stuff! :)

Curiosity is seizing me (more like it's grabbing me around the neck). Can we post our own missing moments?

P.S. If not, I can PM you and you can do something with it yourself if you like it.

P.S.S. It's about the period before and after Anakin and Padme are sentenced to death, and before the love pledge.

19. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Darth_Breezy *1: *snicker*
    ;)

bobill: Must keep yap closed about what happens... . You did a good job

anidanami124: Thanks

Lando: ?Come in, Padawan. Don?t be shy.? I'm rather proud of that line myself! [face_mischief]

20. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Jedi_Humaira_Blaine:
    what's happening there between Padme and Bail? ....Or is it my imagination?

Oh you spotted that! :) Yes, I'm supposed to have a really good explanation for that... If I ever get round to that :( , you'll be the first to know.

Thanks for everything else! :)

DarthBreezy: Awwwwwwwwww! : ;) [face_laugh]

DarthIshtar: the interaction is so credible and so...well-done! Thank you!

Darth_Lex: Anakin's subtle tension with Obi-Wan ...the running theme of self-consciousness....Padme is a bit standoffish ....subtle features ...not thoughts of an attraction...
    You got down everything I wanted to express! Thanks!

LittleLeia56: Thank you and hi back!

KSA: :) A newbie! Welcome! Glad you like my stuff! :)
    I'm sending you a PM about your other question!

21. Lando_Plenty

Lando_Plenty Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2002
    ?You still are that angel to me, Padmé. You always will be. And no amount of carefully chosen barbs can change that either.? I can just picture this line. That's Anakin in the flesh..

Great Missing scene. Drop me a pm whenever you post again!

22. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Good work. I like the idea of writing scenes to go with the movie.

23. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Lando: I'm glad you liked it... And I will definitely pm you from now on...

Rogue Jedi: Another newbie! :) Thank you!
    There are many missing moments threads on JC. I recommend:

1. His and Her Circumstances (Ani/Ami/Vader in AOTC).

Bring Me To Life.

3. Stolen Moments

4. MissPadme's Shack of A/P vignettes...

And, of course -blatant self promotion - do not fail to read the rest of my stories at:

AotC Missing Moments Main Theatre

and

AotC Missing Moments Satellite Theatre (Playing Counselling )

ENJOY!

24. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    I feel like such a fraud. I was supposed to have done this right after the last post. Oh well..

CREDITS:

1. The line "I Serve" that Anakin says at the end is a copycat from geo3?s work which includes great epics like Children of Circumstance and Winds of Change.

2. The part where Anakin sits at the very edge of her bed is another copycat from a scene in Meredith Brownen Mallory?s No Real Affection. This, by the way, is a very good post-scene-where-they-hunt-down-Zam missing moment - one of the reasons why I will never attempt that scene, by the way. Another excellent take on that scene is The Report by Knight-Ander.

Final Note: These links are here for a purpose. Follow them!

25. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Just found this. Good work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.