main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga AotC Missing Moments Theatre (Tatooine Incident): Still Playing... Raiding the Raiders - Completed!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by leia_naberrie, Aug 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    Reihla:
    Beru is very compassionate, isn't she?
    Yes. I just took ANH Beru and wrote her to type.

It was good that you gave us a glimpse into her past - the relationship with her real mother. It helps her relationship with Shmi make sense.
    Thanks. I extrapolated from Meredith's Beru characterisation and I tried to work out in the story why that would make Beru so attached to Shmi.

I really liked this scene
    I'm glad you did. :)

Padme and Beru sharing a sisterly moment. I think they would have been good friends if given half a chance.
    I think one of the reasons Luke and Beru have so much empathy in ANH as opposed to Luke and Owen is because of the similarities - and in my imagination, the empathy - between Beru and Padme, despite their brief time together. After all, it didn't take Padme long in TPM to become bestfriends with Jar Jar and Anakin, so I'm working from that here as well.

Thanks for reviewing!

Padlei:
    Makes sense given the fact that Padme lets her son in the Lars' care...
    I'm glad you feel it was feasible. Thanks. :)

On a side note also followed the link of the "prequel"
    You would have been doing yourself a horrendous disservice by not doing so! [face_laugh]

It almost looks like both fics were written by the same author...
    [face_shocked] [face_blush] [face_shocked] WOW! What a nice thing to say.. even if I can't say I agree! [face_shocked] Meredith B Mallory's work is waaaay superior to mine! (Although I am a good copy-cat! ;) )

Anyway Anakin carving the death mask was creepy.
    More on that later... ;)

This whole segment in the movie almost felt surreal and that's the feeling I got here.
    Thanks! :)

Anyway I guess I agree with your signature.
    YOU BET! :)

Knight-Ander:
    I got your PM! Thanks for the tip.

Another excellent moment, leia. You may be a little rusty, but only a little.

[face_blush] [face_laugh] Thanks!

you think through things and the reasons behind them, making those minor details blend with and become a part of the major storyline.
    I obssess, you mean! [face_laugh]

Well done! I can't wait until next Friday.
    Thank you and I hope it will be worth the wait! 8-}

------------

2. JediSenoj451

JediSenoj451 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2001
    First off, I?m glad to see you back posting! It?s hard staying away for long, isn?t it? I know I?ve tried and failed horribly. ( ;) ) Hopefully, Darth Real Life won?t bear his nasty fangs again for a while! The JC fanfic forums would lose some of its richness without your writings?

What I love about your pieces, leia_naberrie, is that they don?t have a fan fiction feel. Few authors can take the preexisting characters and write them so that they seem like ordinary, everyday people who we can connect with. Padmé becomes so natural and real in this piece that I can see her as clearly if she were sitting across my room as she brushes her hair. Some might call hair brushing a ?mundane? detail to add into fan fic story. But I don?t think so. I think that the addition of these simple, ordinary actions help breathe life into your stories and make them the treasures that they are.

And let?s be honest. Haven?t we all wondered how Padmé fixes some of those hairstyles in the PT when she doesn?t have her handmaidens with her? ;)

Just to reiterate what a few others have said?. I like the Padmé/Beru interaction. It adds dimension to Beru?s character! We never did get to know her well in ANH, and this story makes her adopting Luke seem all the more plausible?

~*Senoj*~

3. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Nice interaction between charectors, as always! Liked Beru's bitter little background story too, makes Shmi seem so much cooler for accepting her. and liked how you inserted Eirtae for Beru, cute little memory on Padme's part.

4. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    JediSenoj451:

It?s hard staying away for long,

Is it? :confused: I won't know! [face_mischief]

What I love about your pieces, leia_naberrie, is that they don?t have a fan fiction feel.

[face_blush] Thank you! What a nice thing to say!

Haven?t we all wondered how Padmé fixes some of those hairstyles in the PT when she doesn?t have her handmaidens with her?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Thanks especially for the compliment on Beru's characterisation... :)

bobilll:

Liked Beru's bitter little background story too, makes Shmi seem so much cooler for accepting her.

Thanks! Like my beta once said: what kind of parents let their daughter live on an isolated farmstead wth her boyfriend and his father? 8-}

5. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Hey hon... sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been out of town. But I loved coming home to this! And the news that you're updating regularly!!

Just a wonderful little scene. So clever, I don't think that I could have come up with it in a million years, but it makes perfect sense. I honestly never made a connection with Beru and the style Padme's hair was in. And I love how it goes a little way in explaining how Padme could leave her child with them.

Beru?s eyes twinkled. ?See?? she said rhetorically. ?Every strand accounted for. Anakin will be pleased.?

Padmé coloured and Beru laughed.

Oh, how I loved those lines! So sweet.

6. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    What a great concept for a scene. Once again it?s the little details that give the scene so much power ? they?re so creative and add so much depth ? like the way the Tatooine climate affects hair, or Padmé wardrobe not including attire for a funeral, the way Owen reacts to seeing Beru?s hair down, the tradition of a death mask (isn?t that a powerful idea for the man who becomes Vader! :eek: ), and more. It?s all these details that show how much thought you?ve given to these scenes, and give them just as much ?lived in? fully realized feel as the movies themselves.

I agree with others that your exploration of the Beru/Padmé bond seems perfectly in character for both of them.

Beru?s eyes twinkled. ?See?? she said rhetorically. ?Every strand accounted for. Anakin will be pleased.?
    Padmé coloured and Beru laughed.

Perfect ending. [face_love]

Looking forward to more. :D

7. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    RebelScum77:
    Hey hon... sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been out of town. But I loved coming home to this! And the news that you're updating regularly!!

Welcome back.. and it's OK, really.. :D I'm just glad that you could make it...

I honestly never made a connection with Beru and the style Padme's hair was in.

Really? [face_blush] [face_laugh] That was the first thing I thought! :( Does that make me vain..? :(

Oh, how I loved those lines! So sweet.

[face_blush] In Merry's stories, Beru is sort of a quiet minx, so I just kept that character. I'm glad you liked it. :)

Darth_Lex:
    Once again it?s the little details that give the scene so much power ? they?re so creative and add so much depth ? like the way the Tatooine climate affects hair, or Padmé wardrobe not including attire for a funeral, the way Owen reacts to seeing Beru?s hair down,

What can I say? :( I'm vain!

the tradition of a death mask (isn?t that a powerful idea for the man who becomes Vader!

[face_shocked] WoW! I only just thought of that! I got the imagery from a North-African culture.. The mask is going to have a cameo in a latter story so watch out for it...

Perfect ending... Looking forward to more.
    :) Thanks! I'll try not to dissapoint!

8. Padlei

Padlei Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2003
    Then you're an awesome copycat! ;)
    Waiting for more...

9. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002

Then you're an awesome copycat!
    Waiting for more...

Something is coming this weekend... Here's the Preview...

?Thirty of us went looking for her. Four of us came back.?

10. Padlei

Mar 5, 2003
    Argh... You call that a preview? :_| 8-} You're killing us here! I want more... Well. I suppose I have to wait... *takes some cookies and waits* ;)

11. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    [face_devil] [face_devil] [face_devil] [face_devil] [face_devil]

I didn't know you had added to your thread.

I didn't know how much I had missed.

You never said a word.

I read through everything I hadn't seen before in one sitting. Tomorrow I will read them again, slowly.

I can't find a face that expresses chagrin.

Have you ever considered sending out a PM when you post?

12. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002

You just weren't on the list, geo. ;)

13. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Padlei:[ i]Argh... You call that a preview? [/i]

I am flattered. [face_blush] I guess I should have more honestly called it a Teaser [face_mischief]

geo3: You never said a word.

Could this possibly have anything to do with the fact that you're the only person that threatens me in reviews? 8-}

I'm sorry. :( Really. I'm putting you on the list right now... Sending PM en masse is not something I've done easily - and there's the added insecurity factor of knowing exactly when people review because they *like* it - or because they feel they have to. :confused:

Knight-Ander:You just weren't on the list, geo.

And that statement's why I had to bend over backwards and explain myself! 8-}

------------

13th February

A/N and WARNING:

No matter how hard you try you still make mistakes sometimes :(

It turns out that this fic contradicts a couple or more of the few canon facts of the moisture farmers' raid on the Tusken settlement. Things in the fic like Owen's role and how Cliegg got his injury are definitely non-canon-compliant. However, as anyone who knows me can tell, I am a *lazy* writer and I had 3 choices - post it on ff.net away from JC scrutiny, drop it into the bottomless pit of my 'Fics-in-progress' folder, or just right click and Del. [face_plain]

I decided to do none of the above ;) and just post the thing. It's in (roughly) 6 parts so there will be a couple of mid-week posts just to get the whole big mistake over and done with ASAP.

RAIDING THE RAIDERS is the first of two Cliegg-centred stories.

Have I forgotten anything? :confused:

Oh, yes... Rated:PG13 for Violence [face_devil]

14. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002

Thirty of us went looking for her.

Four of us came back.

There had always been occasional scuffles over the years between the two communities: a couple of years back when the Sand People tried to stop a new family from settling at the fringes of the existing community of moisture farmers; and of course, the periodic offensives that were always demanded from the farmers whenever the Raiders attacked wayfarers. But the last time moisture farmers had prepared for an all-out raid was so far back that most men Cliegg?s age had only vague memories of sitting up late at home with their mothers, waiting for their fathers and older brothers to come home. Clegg Lars returned to his family but he was one of the few who did. The raid was a success: The Sand people had been driven to the outskirts of the Dune Sea and forced to inch their way inland ever since. But a high price had been paid for that victory. But it was one that the farmers paid willingly. They would forever be willing pay the price of their freedom with their own blood before succumbing to living at the mercy of the Tuskens: succumb to literally sacrificing their women and children to appease the Sandpeople.

Tonight, they were getting ready to pay again.

For me, thought Cliegg. For my failure.

He shook his head suddenly as if he could shake out the thought. It was futile and melodramatic and irritated him to no end. There was no failure. Shmi was still alive - she had to be - and he would find her. Tonight.

Cliegg Lars sat in the farmstead land speeder, in the middle of a line of assorted vehicles that formed an ominous strip against the white desert sand. Every homestead was represented in the turn-out this night. The older ones waited in the transports, grim lines of determined awareness etched in their faces. The younger men, Owen?s mates and older, stood in small groups, young bodies and low voices tense with outraged excitement.

Their attitude worried some of the older men. A family had been attacked some months back on the way across the Dune Sea. They had defended themselves and escaped but not before a boy had been badly injured and he died a few weeks later. His mates had been all but ready to storm the nearest Tusken village and, in their words, ?wipe them out once and for all?. It was only the intervention of Col Darklighter himself, that had finally instilled reason into their minds.

They could have prevented this... And we should have let them...

Cliegg?s brooding thoughts were interrupted by the sight of a dusky, tow-headed man pulling himself out of his speeder. Col Darklighter moved into the view of all the assembly and the soft murmur of by-conversations petered and stopped.

When he spoke, it was with the confident brusqueness that made the man their natural leader.

?Okay, people. Let?s go get Shmi.?

As one, the farmers got out of their vehicles. Most of them were already strapped with weapons and they gripped the assortment of rifle blasters, shooters and archery closer to their bodies.

Cliegg checked his own artillery and re-tied the flapping sleeves of his outer tunic. Then, before he could persuade himself not to, he walked over to where Owen stood with his friends, Marxus Jin and Sholh Doh.

?You boys stay put, okay?? he said gruffly, looking at each of them sternly.

Marxus and Sholh nodded smartly. ?Yes, sir.?

Owen folded his arms around his stomach and gave his father a blank look. Earlier on in the day, when the men had assembled together to plan their strategy, Owen and the other two boys were assigned the job of staying behind and watching all the transports. Owen had a general reputation for being a docile, hard-working boy and his spates of rebelliousness were always startling. The other farmers had been startled today. Cliegg, already short on nerves over Shmi, was infuriated. The two men had had one of their rarer and characteristically ugly

15. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Is there anything you can't write?? LOL... this is, so far, the biggest departure I've read from your usual A/P. And it's just great :) The descriptions of the settlers and the Owen/Cliegg characterizations are fabulous- just enough so that you really care for them without taking away from the action.

Owen had a general reputation for being a docile, hard-working boy and his spates of rebelliousness were always startling. The other farmers had been startled today. Cliegg, already short on nerves over Shmi, was infuriated. The two men had had one of their rarer and characteristically ugly confrontations. No reconciliation had as of yet been reached.

That I especially loved- Owen's rare moment of defiance. He'll end up being more like Cliegg than he realizes.

... waiting for more (after singles awarness day of course) :D...

16. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    UP! I think people don't realize there's a new chapter....

[rose]Come back, come back![/rose]

17. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Whoa! Six parts. This is going to be an ambitious project. :)

18. Padlei

Mar 5, 2003
    *shudders* Wow... I dread seeing what happens next given what we know about the outcome. Four of us came back
    6 parts? [face_shocked] I don't know what to expect... *remembers Shmi's torture and braces herself*
    That's true that you can write about anything... :)

19. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Silly me posting without updating the subject title! 8-}

RebelScum77:
    Is there anything you can't write??

[face_blush] [face_laugh] HA! I'm on to you now! After stabbing me in the back in the Demonisation Thread, you're just buttering me up now so I can keep beta'in your stuff! 8-}

Oh, you upped it... [face_shocked] Well, I guess you aren't a bad sort after all... 8-}

Knight-Ander:
    Whoa! Six parts. This is going to be an ambitious project.

[face_devil] Tell me about it... :(

Padlei:
    Four of us came back

[face_mischief] Ominous, ain't it? [face_mischief]

6 parts? I don't know what to expect... *remembers Shmi's torture and braces herself*

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] My lips are sealed. ;)

That's true that you can write about anything...

Awwww... [face_blush] [face_blush] Thank you. (***looks pointedly at someone who will remain nameless... [face_mischief] ***)

--------------

UPDATED 16th February 2004

20. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002

It was no mental exaggeration. The was camp more than twice the size of the usual Tusken settlement. Several tribes must have banded together. It certainly explained why they could choose a site that was more suited for permanent residence than their usual nomadic camps. Col Darklighter noted all this with growing disquiet as he and Nathan continued their stealthy prance towards the nearest hut. He was beginning to realize that with these numbers, their original plan was barely feasible. It was one thing searching through a dozen or less huts for Shmi; it was entirely another thing searching through more than three score.

Only one boulder stood between them and the huts. The patrolling Raider on their side had just pivoted and was now walking towards their position. The three men halted and dropped to their haunches as gently as possible, backs against the large rock. Col used the reprieve to think strategically.

He was the only one of the able bodied farmers who had been old enough to participate in the last raid. Then he had also been part of the scouting team. He, his uncle and his neighbour had found the two Whitesnow children in a hut at the fringes of the camp. Assuming that the Tuskens had placed them there because they were the most dispensable of their possessions, it followed that that would be where Shmi would be found now.

Peeking from the edge of their shelter, Col?s eyes swept the silent camp. At first glance, the tent-like huts did not appear to be arranged in any particular order; closer observation showed that they made a series of concentric circles around a dim fire that blazed from the approximate centre of the camp. There was a small light gleaming through each dome-shaped tent, small flames that burnt for a species that seemed to be biologically acclimated to the desert glare. At least one bantha lay sleeping on all fours in front of each hut, a personal watch guard.

The patrol did an about-turn.

Col turned back to the other men and dropped his voice as low as it could go and still be heard. ?Nathan, Jin go west and split. I?ll go east. Only the huts on the fringe. If you find Shmi, take her, get back here and drop the marker. Then take off. Whoever has to go full circle follow behind.?

They nodded curtly, their eyes shining the reflection of the camp lights. Then they got to their feet and flew lightly to the first huts, splitting evenly to check different tents. Col did not wait to watch them. In a few minutes, the patrol would finish his retreat. He got to his feet and made a dash to the eastern tent.

The clenched paw of the bantha opened with a snap of claws.

Outside the thick canvas of the dome-shaped hut, Nathan froze in his tracks, his breath seizing completely. Where he stood, he was both shielded from the patrol?s view and within yards of the sleeping bantha. Or at least, it should have been sleeping?

The creature stretched out its front paws, shifted its weight on the sand, and became silent once more.

Nathan exhaled painfully. He returned his attention to the transparent tent cloth before him. He could only make out that the flame light originated from a point in the centre of the tent room and cast dim shadows on dark indeterminate shapes. He got down on his knees and ran his fingers underneath the cloth until he found the opening Col had taught them to find. Then, as gently and silently as he could (the bantha snapped its paw shut), he pulled out as much cloth as could give him passage, got down on his belly and crawled into the tent.

The flame light served only marginally better at closer range. The interior of the tent was dark and stuffy. Nathan waited for his eyes to accommodate to the glare and to ensure that his entrance had not been detected; and while he waited, his nerves stretched with tension. Quickly. Quickly.

After a while that seemed longer than it actually was, his instincts deemed it safe to stand. He l

21. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Wow. This is so tense! :eek:

You've really hooked me. I can't wait for more. Post more! Now! Please! ;)

The characterizations of Cliegg and Owen are very interesting. Since you're not following canon the anticipation is that much higher about where this will go from here (even if we know how it ends for Cliegg and Owen - and the others...).

Great stuff! :D

22. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    HA! I'm on to you now! After stabbing me in the back in the Demonisation Thread, you're just buttering me up now so I can keep beta'in your stuff!

Well I never! :eek:
    I have no idea what you're talking about [face nonchalant]
    Stab?... I wouldn't go that far... poke perhaps :p

Oh, you upped it... Well, I guess you aren't a bad sort after all...

No indeed!

23. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Darth_Lex:
    You've really hooked me. I can't wait for more.

:)

Post more! Now! Please!

:) Aaaaah! So gratifying to be the one holding the whip. [face_mischief]

Since you're not following canon the anticipation is that much higher about where this will go from here

That's true! :D That's one good thing abt this method. Thanks!

RebelScum77:
    I have no idea what you're talking about [face nonchalant]

[face_plain] Tell it to the birds, lady! :D

24. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Can I just begin by saying that I find your threads, with satellites and whatnot, horribly confusing? Maybe it?s not the threads per se ? I recognize that they are arranged and divided with admirable logic. It?s just me ? I never know where I am, or worse, what I have missed.

So I tackled my problem the old-fashioned way. I printed out what I thought I had missed and sat down to read it uninterrupted. If I have forgotten anything, put it down to confusion, not intent.

So here a few comments and responses on your Tatooine stories.

Tatooine Incident: Aide Memoire

I am always stunned, when I read your stories, at the depth of intimacy that you manage to convey. In this story, as in some of the others, I felt like an eavesdropper ? even a voyeur. I was almost shy about peeking in on interactions that are so personal and so revealing.

If I look closely I can figure out how you do it. As always with you, the genius of the story lies in the details ? the tiny, close-up details of human reaction and interaction that are so telling about the characters and what is going on in the scene. For example:

The tilt of the left corner of the lip. The way the eyes narrowed and the brows furrowed ever so slightly. The grateful, painful smile?It was Mother Shmi?s smile whenever she spoke of her son Ani. Or this one: She watched his hands as they touched the wood ? Mother Shmi?s hands ? long, slender and remarkably strong.

Those few sentences tell us not only about Anakin?s state of being, but give a glimpse of what Shmi must have been like in the long years of his absence. We also understand how important Shmi was to Beru for the girl to have observed the woman so closely, and for her to react so powerfully to seeing traces of Shmi in her son.

But you don?t merely provide details of the characters. You provide revealing details about their feelings in the most wonderfully unlabored descriptions. Take these, for example:

?The silence was hungry, waiting for more.? Or, Anakin Skywalker did not thank her but his gratitude filled the dusty storeroom and knotted like a chain around Beru?s chest.?

And then the vignette ends and I withdraw my eye from the peephole through which I have been spying on these people.

Sleep No More

This vignette goes back to the introspective mode of some of your earlier ones, so the sense of voyeurism isn?t there. It is equally powerful, but in a different, more direct way.

I have to admit it troubled me, as any speculation about the demon voices inside of Anakin troubles me. I think it?s because of my somewhat heretical ambivalence about the whole Tusken incident as the single defining moment of Anakin?s turn toward the dark side. It is clear that he knew, once the murderous rage had subsided, that he had gone too far. But I still wonder whether at this point he was that self-aware; whether he understood the nature, the methods, and the influence of the dark forces with which he was grappling.

Either way, I found the idea that the voices were speaking using Padmé?s voice particularly terrifying, as was the duality between Padmé?s voice representing the demonic influence while she herself is the counterbalance to that influence.

Tatooine Incident {Shmi} Just Before Dawn

I think you bring Shmi to life better than anyone. I get such a vivid picture of her modesty, her competence and fortitude, her gratitude for what little grace her hard life has brought her, and her aching longing for the son she has lost.

Again, the details you provide in this scene add so much depth. I can see the mushrooms on the vaporators. I know what kinds of tools are needed to remove them. I understand a great deal about the relationship between Shmi and her stepson. And the sense of doom is heightened by mention of the bantha cries at the beginning and at the end of the scene, reminding us how inescapable the ultimate outcome.

Tatooine Incident {Shmi} Complete

This is a tough one. I don?t think anyone has ever tackled it

25. Padlei

Mar 5, 2003
    [face_shocked] I was paralyzed like Nathan... And the child awakening the parents? re [face_shocked]

On a side note, don't be so harsh with RebelScum77! She's nice when she WANTS to... [face_mischief] 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.