main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG AOTC Mystery?!??

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by JediJean, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    I was going to create another poll, but then I thought that this question deserves more discussion than just a simple one-time vote.

The question is:
    Who is Sifo Diyas?

We hear his name mentioned a few times in AOTC, but who is he really??

Some clues:
    1) He was a Jedi Master
    2) He was a member of the Jedi Council
    3) He was supposedly killed 10 years ago
    4) He was the one who was behind the creation of the Clonetrooper Army on Kamino
    5) Any other clues you'd like to contribute??

A few possibilities:
    1) Yoda
    2) Mace Windu
    3) Darth Sidious / Palpatine
    4) Darth Tyranus / Count Dooku
    5) Qui-Gon Jinn
    6) Someone else... but who??

So what do you think?

2. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I've seen and heard a number of people who have discussed about this, and a whole range of possbilities came up, from Dooku and Palpatine, to Mace being a traitor and secretly pretending to be Sifo Dyas.

Even Quigon became a suspect because he always disagreed with the council and the corruption in the senate. But, IMO, putting all these wild theories aside, I'd think it to be just plain old Palpatine behind all this, to create the army beforehand and then making up a reason (the separatists) to put them in operation

:D

3. lukedecop

lukedecop Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    i really dont think its Qui Gon, i mean he does disagree with the council, but why would he want to create an army? and what would he use it for?

My first choice would be Master Mace Windu

Reasons: 1)His lightsaber turns from blue to purple which is the middle of red and blue.

2)He is the person senior and close enough from the Jedi council to destroy the files from the archives and secertly give autorization to create the clone army.

3)He mentioned that "there will not be enough Jedi's to protect the republic" and he have been even more negative in AOTC by saying stuff like "i think we should inform the senate that our Jedi powers have diminished."

4)Also Samuel L. Jackson did say something like he wants to be a bad guy or something in one of the interviews.

Second choice would be of course Dooku, but it will be tooo predicable and the reasons r obvious like "fallen Jedi", "traitor" and so on.

But just a side track what "IF" like Darth Vader and Luke in ROTJ whereby the Empire ask him to strike Vader down and join him. Could it be the same trick for Anakin and Darth Tyranus. Strike him down and your training will be COMPLETE. Episode III

4. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
  5. lukedecop

lukedecop Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    Check it out guys this is good.

Here's what I think. Sifo-Dyas becomes Sidious. That much is obvious from the name. Why isn't it as simple as Sidious giving the Kaminoans a fake name and pretending to be a Jedi Master? Because, according to the Jedi, Sifo-Dyas *was* a real jedi, who was killed *before* Episode One. (Remember the discussion between Kenobi, Windu, and Yoda? "I thought he was killed long before that." Obi-Wan meant "long before 10 years ago", in context; the Clone Army order was placed roughly ten years before AOTC, right about the time of TPM.) So Sifo-Dyas fakes his death and becomes Sidious/Palpatine. Or does he?

Ya see, here's the crazy thing I've been thinking. Sidious isn't Palpatine. I know, the debate has been made so many times, and everyone looks at you as if your mother is your half-sister and you just stepped out from the underbrush of the Adorondeks looking for mountain oysters if you don't believe Palpatine is Sidious. And for the most part, most of me believes he is. But there's this little nagging doubt. And the cloning thing, plus this Sifo-Dyas: Ex-Jedi turn of events has made me wonder. Sifo-Dyas, before he became a Darth, or even after, could've had himself cloned. Sidious *is* all about deception. Palpatine is his clone, an altered one- Which is why the Jedi council doesn't recognize him as their resurrected commrade. Palpatine, strong in the Force by sheer genetics (he'd have the same level of Midichlorians as Sifo-Dyas), is the front man, handling all the politics, being a handy decoy. It throws new light on that discussion Yoda and Mace Windu have in the end of TPM: "Always two there are: Master and Apprentice." "Yes...But which one have we destroyed?" (Something to that effect.)
    Look at the facts: Sifo-Dyas: Not just an alias for Sidious. This is confirmed by the Jedi saying he was a real Jedi. Count Dooku: Didn't know about the Clone army. Sifo-Dyas: Obviously the ex-name of Darth Sidious. So: Sifo-Dyas is Sidious. Sidious would be recognizable to the Jedi if he ever showed his face in public. So: Palpatine is not Sidious. I'm writing all this as a hypothetical thing, though, remember.

Plus, Lucas loves to throw in those twists and surprises. Sure, it seems obvious that Sidious IS Palpatine. Why hasn't he been completely revealed as such? Do you actually think that that will shock any viewer, fan or not, when Sidious says "I'm Palpatine! Boo! Gotcha!" in Ep III? Probably not. People will be going, "Okaaaaay....Tell me something I don't know now." "Luke, I am your father" shocked audiences. Yoda fighting like he did, even fighting at all, elated and shocked nearly anyone who was spoiler-free.
    Luke and Leia brother and Sister. The Death Star already in the works, and being made by the aliens who built the battle droids. Count Dooku being Qui-Gon's old master, and Yoda's old apprentice. Lucas throws in many literary twists. So just prepare yourself for any contingency. Sidious...Well, his identity hasn't been confirmed IN THE MOVIES yet. Keep that in mind.

6. wan-bo-tak

wan-bo-tak Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    In the earlier drafts of the script, it was supposed to be Sido-Dyas :D

I think Sifo-Dyas is just a name of a random dead Jedi that Sidious uses just to confuse the Jedi.

7. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    wan-bo-tak, that's certainly a distinct possibility too.

After all, like Yoda says,
    "The Dark Side clouds everything,
    impossible to see the future is."

Besides, that would be SOOO in line with what the Sith would do anyway (ie. create chaos and confusion).

I guess I should go read the novelization, the screenplay, and the comics for more clues (if there are even any clues there, to begin with). But I guess that will have to wait until my exams are over... yup, priorities, priorities, priorities!! :cool:

8. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    You know, if Sidious isn't Palpatine, GL, ILM and the entire film crew would have to keep it top secret for three years before they release Ep3. But with internet and all..there's sure bound to be a leak.. :( Which will of course spoil the movie surprise

9. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Errr, JediJean, the novelization these days (Ep1-2) have some additions from the author with the blessings of the LF Licensing People and maybe GL, himself; unlike the OT novelizations which were almost strictly written according to the original scripts.

The new novelization may still be written according to the original script but till someone get hold of the original script used in the filming, it will not be proven as 100% cannon. :(

10. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    DE, have you read the screenplay which is in "The Art Of Star Wars: Episode 2: Attack of the Clones"?

Any idea if that version of the screenplay is "trustworthy"??

I haven't read it yet, so I wouldn't know..... well, not yet anyways! :)

Besides, I heard that there were some last minute changes to the book, which caused the US version of the book to be delayed and released later than it was initially supposed to be released.

I wonder what those changes might be??

11. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Nope, I haven't read any AOTC books yet, maybe just scan through some like the Scrapbook.

And from what we see in the movie, 2 scenes (and 2 Padme Gowns) are missing; the part right after the first attempt assassination at the Senate and the one at Padme's Parents' home.

12. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    There's gotta be more deleted scenes. Like Dooku was supposed to fight Yoda with 2 lightsabres but they didn't show that..

I'm also wondering if ILM had made the space battle between the Geonosian Fighters and the Republic ships during the Arena battle. I'd love to see it on DVD :) 8-}

13. Mannequin_Skywalker

Mannequin_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2001
    yes just like TPM, AOTC have a lot of hidden "easter eggs" that only show the edited scenes in the DVD version. for those who have bought the visual dictionary, AOTC also showed Dooku holding 2 sabers (1 red and 1 blue), supposedly squaring off with Yoda.

14. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    The blue belonging to Anakin's hand? :D

15. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    OUCH!!!
    What's that?
    Is it a new weapon, like maybe a "one-arm lightsaber"...??
    gasp! :eek:

Man, Count Dooku sure has a lot of creative weapons ideas, eh??
    hehheh! ;)

16. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    From what I know, Yoda knocked off(or is it destroyed) Dooku's lightsabre, leaving him with Anakin's only. That was when he decided to force-push the pillar onto Obiwan and Anakin.

17. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Something else to look out for in the next viewing of AOTC. ?[face_plain]

Frankly, I still think "Sifo-Dyas" was Palpatine or Dooku in disguise. Any clues to who is this Sifo-Dyas from any of the SW comics (SW Ongoing Series, Jedi Council) since occasionally, Lucas will give clues through LFL in the comics? Who know? :eek:

Or is there something else since Yoda and Mace gave each other the look when OB1 says he thought Sifo-Dyas was dead more than 10 years ago and Mace was very quick to response that the Council never authorized the creation of the clones.

And Darth Tyranus aka Dooku was the one who employed Jango 10 years ago (immediately before or after TPM) so most fingers seems to point at Dooku for disguising as Sifo-Dyas. [face_plain]

18. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    However it is weird that if Dooku hired Jango, then why was he surprised on when the clone army arrived on Geonosis to battle the Separatists? :confused:

19. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Could it be too that the Yoda-Dooku Fight Scene was recorded according to 2 different sequences like the death of Maul in TPM? :eek: One with Dooku having his lightsaber all the time and other with Dooku with 2 lightsabers?

20. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Don't know about that..maybe for AOTC they just cut out whatever that was considered "extra". In that case when Dooku was running to his ship to escape, ILM just changed the blade of his lightsabre from blue to red. :D

21. wan-bo-tak

wan-bo-tak Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    This movie would've blown ESB out of the water. Lucas itchy fingers...just cut cut cut :(

George Lucas, next time don't be stingy lah :p Even if the movie is 3 hours long, people would still watch it :D

If I were spoiler free, I would've enjoyed this movie more. Hope the DVD has a director's cut of the movie. :)

No spoilers for me till Ep3 :cool:

22. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Wan-bo-tak - That's very brave of you. I don't know if I can stay spoiler free for three years. :D

23. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Like Anakin gonna fall into a Molten Pit? Or Leia and Luke will be born in Ep3? Or the Galactic Empire gonna be created? :D

Wonder if Lucas will forgo the PG rating in favor of a more darker movie giving it a R-13 rating instead?

24. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    I think major spoilers are the ones you should avoid, especially for people like wan-bo-tak who have made a resolve haha. Spoilers like how Mace is gonna die, How Padme is gonna die. Basically how everyone else is gonna die :D

Death is always a sad thing..so a more restricted rating might be possible.

25. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I'm just afraid that Ep3 will be so dark that I started to drool and younger kids started running out of the cinema crying and screaming. And those dreaded critics will have more things to critic Ep3. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.