main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC nominated for razzie awards!!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth_ABC, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    Stop the presses!

Has it possibly become "cool" to hate Star Wars!?!

In addressing the originators of the "Razzie" awards and after witnessing the previous 8 pages, I'd like to contribute 2 quotes on how I feel about the subject:

"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do."
    - Dale Carnegie

"To avoid criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."
    - Elbert Hubbard

2. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    The LOTR fans people keep mentioning are not as much of a problem as the Star Wars fans who are more loyal to LOTR, now there is the problem for you. A bunch of retards crowing otherwise good discussion boards constantly wasting space and words proclaiming how much greater Lord of the Rings is. I got news for you -- Star Wars will be around a lot longer and it is a lot better. AOTC blows TTT away, even though I still think TTT is the year's second best film. Hey I love FOTR, I love TTT, but compared to Star Wars? Get real.

I saw 200 films released 2002, you can see reviews of them: http://www.jlbmovies.com

The worst movies are not even ones any of you people have probably even seen. Nobody watched Pinocchio, well I did, and it was TERRIBLE. I watched Country Bears. I sat through Martin Lawrence Live. I saw The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Stupidhood. I saw Full Frontal, The Rules of Attraction, Crossroads, Jason X, Fear Dot Com, Deuces Wild, and NUMEROUS other absolutely AWFUL movies.

AOTC was the best movie I saw all year. 2002 was a great year, but not all critics have to be mindless idiots. AOTC is a masterpiece, and that is my critical perspective, not my fan bias. If I thought any other movie was better, I'd just say so, I don't have stock in Lucasfilm. I say what I think and my site shows that, but no number of useless, idiotic arguments will ever convince me that any other film is better than any of the Star Wars movies. Not on this Earth, and not so far.

I love Citizen Kane, one of my favorite films too, but the craft of any Star Wars film is more impressive.

3. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Bowen, I've noticed you before. You don't post very often. Yet, everytime you hit the "post button" something intelligent is said.

4. Galactic_Emperor

Galactic_Emperor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    "I say what I think and my site shows that, but no number of useless, idiotic arguments will ever convince me that any other film is better than any of the Star Wars movies. Not on this Earth, and not so far."

Hey, AOTC did have its very bad parts. The romance, the "anakin, you know i dont like you to do that " line of the lamest order, and the overall acting. At least ANH, even not having top acting, had clear and exciting action, not the AOTC mess. The lame clone helmets have a awful design. IMO it was at least an average movie, not as good as TESB and ANH.

HOWEVER to make them the WORST of the year its pretty much unfair, specially with AWFUL movies as some out there this year. I agree that the razzie awards are just for people to listen to losers who dont have anything else to do in life.

5. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    HOWEVER to make them the WORST of the year its pretty much unfair, specially with AWFUL movies as some out there this year

This I can agree with. For me, the worst of 2002 is some action movie called "The Transporter". I still have nightmares over this one. God, and the lousy English by the Chinese actress...I mean, I would have forgiven it if it were not for the fact that in the movie, the father of the girl said:

"I spent thousands so you could learn English..."

Umm...he spent thousands yet her English still sucked??? Oh, what a waste, poor dad.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Anyway, I'd be sad if AOTc actually "win" the Worst Movie award. But as far as being nominated, I view it as as a humourous thing.

6. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    Stupid awards - given by very, very sad people indeed. And how on eatrh can Natalie and Hayden be nominated in Best Supprotive Actors. AOTC is Anakin's story - it is about him and if you count the minutes there isn't a single actor who has a bigger role, not even Obi Wan. And Natlaie is the only woman with a big part in the film. So how can they be supportive actors. That is just the prove that these awards are stupid.

7. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    it's difficult to say what makes a role "leading" or "supporting". Some films have only supporting actors (like TTT or Magnolia) since nobody dominates the film. Marlon Brando won the Best Actor Oscar for the Godfather while Al Pacino was nominated for Best Supporting Actor despite the fact that Al Pacino has considerably more screentime than Marlon Brando (somebody did check that once). The bottom line is that there are no guidelines for this and members can put actors into whatever category they desire.

So why is it that "big" films often get nominated for Razzies? Why do Madonna or Sly Stallone always "win" the acting categories despite the fact that you could probably find actors that are much worse? That's exactly the point. What's worse - a film made with the budget that exceeds the GDP of nations like Afghanistan and that are made so cynically and with so little regard for their audience - OR - a little sex film made for $ 3.50 and that was seen by 2 people?.
    If an actress in a little monster Schlock C-movie can't act then that's not remotely as bad as an actress that received 3 Million Dollars for a performance in a Space blockbuster and can't act.

8. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I have to tell you this, the razzie's are stupid. That's what their meant to be.

9. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    For me, the worst of 2002 is some action movie called "The Transporter".

"He was a bastard... but he was still my father." ;)

10. wizard8

wizard8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2001
    The worst picture nominees are there to garner attention, not because they're actually the worst.

Jason X and Fear.com were not nominated, and if they were, nobody would really care to pay attention to the Razzies.

Instead they go for high profile nominations, like George Lucas, Madonna, Britney, Eddie Murphy, etc.

Do you think they even saw AOTC? Maybe not, they just read some of the reviews that the acting and dialogue was bad in parts and thought, oh, another SW movie.

Hayden Christensen for worst SUPPORTING actor?
    There's a possibility they haven't seen the film, or at least not all of it.

11. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    The Razzies can take their number of nominations for AOTC and their "let's jump on the 'bash SW' bandwagon" attitude and shove it up their asses! They're nothing but a load of [edited] anyway!

And for the life of me, I cannot understand why there are certain members on this forum whose sole intention is to bash SW and AOTC in particular. If that's their attitude, what in the hell are they doing on this forum, anyway??

YJ edit: Watch your language.

12. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Whoooo! You rule, Lucas!!! Go win that Razzie, buddy-boy. :cool:

Unlike The Two Towers, which got nominated for an Oscar. Haha, what a crappy film. [face_laugh]

13. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    RamRed, looking at your post, I don't think you have much room to talk about people having bad attitudes.

14. TheFury

TheFury Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2003
    Congratulations to all the people on this board who constantly bash Star Wars. You're the reason it gets nominated for awards like this and you're the reason Star Wars is dying a slow death. I hope you are happy.

Someone said that they didn't think the people who run these awards actually saw the movie and I agree.

The other awards(cine....can't remember), nominated AOTC for worst screenplay and the quote they used was Anakin - "You're not like sand", which isn't even in the movie!!!!!

15. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    "If you just jump on when things are going good, and then off when things go bad, your a bandwagon jumper, not a real fan of the team or a movie series."

So then by definition anyone who posts on these boards is not a bandwagon jumper? Because if we were we would jsut bail out whent he films went awry.

I think if you try and figure out who the real fans are and who isn't automatically ejects you from fan statis. I'm accused constantly of not being A REAL FAN, but then again I've also written letters of appreciation to GL, where as I presume many of those who would have me banned and bannished have not. So who is anyone to judge, fandom is like theology and its not up to one person to define or judge another persons faith, SW provides me with a great deal of happiness thats all that counts in my eyes, and many of the people who claim to be so devoted will probably fade away a few years after the dvds are released and there is no more to come.

16. Jedi Vince

Jedi Vince Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 1999
    Bowen and TheFury are exactly correct in everything they say.
    I also happen to agree that AOTC was the best film of the year. In fact, here are my five Best Pictures:
    1. AOTC
    2. Gangs of New York
    3. Minority Report
    4. The Hours
    5. Punch-Drunk Love

If I may even go a step further, I feel the Star Wars films are the pinnacle of filmmaking. Film is truly a collaborative art, and Star Wars is it's greatest achievement, incorporating nearly every aspect of the creative process.
    People seem to pass it off because its spirit is rooted in Saturday morning serials, but that is simply judging a book by its cover (excuse the cliche).
    I can't think of any films that are more exciting and so richly textured at the same time. How can anyone not find value in films that share style and themes with John Ford, Akira Kurosawa, have the same type of grandiose displayed in old DeMille films, and are so saturated with mythological imagery?
    I don't see Peter Jackson pushing filmmaking into another century as Lucas did; I see him emulating Star Wars.
    I don't have a problem with people not liking Star Wars, I have a problem with people disrespecting it.

17. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Whoooo! You rule, Lucas!!! Go win that Razzie, buddy-boy.

Unlike The Two Towers, which got nominated for an Oscar. Haha, what a crappy film.

It warms my heart to see people take such glee in the films that this site is allegedly devoted to get dissed.

18. Ewok_Droppings

Ewok_Droppings Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2003
    I see a lot of talk here about "bandwagon jumping".

Guys, hasn't it ever occurred to you that if there's a "The Prequel Trilogy Sucks" bandwagon, it may be because a lot of people think the prequel trilogy sucks, and not because they're trying to be cool or fashionable.

The Razzies have nominated AOTC primarily because they think its rubbish. If the Razzies really wanted to court controversy and publicity, they'd go for The Two Towers or something.

CHEERS.

19. TheFury

Jan 27, 2003
    "I don't have a problem with people not liking Star Wars, I have a problem with people disrespecting it. " - Jedi Vince

That's my new favourite quote.

20. BlueMules

BlueMules Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2002
    Guys, hasn't it ever occurred to you that if there's a "The Prequel Trilogy Sucks" bandwagon, it may be because a lot of people think the prequel trilogy sucks, and not because they're trying to be cool or fashionable.

The Razzies have nominated AOTC primarily because they think its rubbish. If the Razzies really wanted to court controversy and publicity, they'd go for The Two Towers or something.

True, there could be people who don't like the Prequels. However, to imply that Razzies doesn't court publicity or controversy is wrong. They announced it a day BEFORE Oscar, and gave the awards the weekend before. They definitely court publicity.

Frankly, there are other WORSE movies that AOTC, and they won't get nominated because they aren't big budget with names movies. Those are simply terrible movies which will not bring media attention anyway.

21. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
  22. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "Congratulations to all the people on this board who constantly bash Star Wars. You're the reason it gets nominated for awards like this and you're the reason Star Wars is dying a slow death. I hope you are happy. "

you should also send out some props and congrats to George Lucas for continuing to make Star Wars films worthy of razzie awards. you might also want to thank him for killing the saga, as he is really the one responsible.

23. TheFury

Jan 27, 2003
    Shelley's right.

The Razzies are there for publicity and that's all. I wonder how much money the guy makes out of it?

24. Ewok_Droppings

Ewok_Droppings Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2003
    However, to imply that Razzies doesn't court publicity or controversy is wrong. They announced it a day BEFORE Oscar, and gave the awards the weekend before. They definitely court publicity.

Sorry, I expressed myself badly. Of course the Razzies are looking for publicity. What I meant was it isn't their primary purpose. What they've always liked doing is making fun out of what they consider to be the biggest turkeys of the year (such as Showgirls, Battlefield Earth etc). If they were just looking to cause a sensation, they'd nominate TTT or even Chicago.

25. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    you should also send out some props and congrats to George Lucas for continuing to make Star Wars films worthy of razzie awards. you might also want to thank him for killing the saga, as he is really the one responsible.

And he should thank you for continuing to spend your money and time on his films even though you consider them worthy of Razzies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.