main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AotC novel- Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Admiral_Stone, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral_Stone

Admiral_Stone Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2008
    So my local book store has it for relatively cheap ($5) and I wanted to know whether or not its worth it. The real question is this: Does it really add anything to the story?

Just wanted to know what you guys think, thanks[face_peace]

2. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Anakin and Padmé relationship is fleshed out a little better. I would get it, I usually find books versions of the movie better.

3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The PT novelizations are way better than the movies themselves, IMO.

4. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I did not like the Clones novel; I did not like it one bit; though, certain parts made Padme seem somewhat less like a twit.

It was boring and dull; R.A. was phoning it in; how else would one explain writing so mind-numbingly thin.

As for stuff that is added---not much; the universe was barely expanded at all; even the namedrops were few, as I recall.

So, in short, it's not worth it; wait 'til you find it at some lower price; anything less than two dollars'll suffice.

[face_monkey]

5. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Its been a while since I read it, but as I recall, I liked it, though I wouldn't put it as the best novelization - probably the weakest of the three PT novelizations. Still, I'd get it, but its really your call.

6. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I think Padmé roars heartily with laughter in it.

Everyone else does, anyway.

7. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    Anakin stabbed at Dooku, but because Dooku was a better swordsmen, Anakin missed. That made Anakin mad. Then Dooku cut Anakin's hand off, and Anakin was even madder. Dooku smiled and said "So it ends."

(That was not an actual excerpt. Young Boba saying "That's because I'm a little you!" to Jango is.)

Don't buy it unless you are a completist or are looking for "Dick and Jane in a galaxy far, far away."

8. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    You, sir, have forced long-buried memories to resurface. And I hate you for it. :(

9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, I think I read it when I bought that omnibus of the prequel trilogy novels, but... hm, I don't think anything really stood out, good or bad in the AotC novel. I remember it mentioned that Dooku's lightsaber style focused more on saber vs. saber fighting, which was partly why he beat both Anakin and Obi-wan (I think this was before all the lightsaber forms were invented? Maybe), and more background was added to some scenes.

I don't remember anything too horribly, so I guess it wasn't too bad. Just that it was outshone by the RotS novelization, but then again, most things are.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    >>>I remember it mentioned that Dooku's lightsaber style focused more on saber vs. saber fighting

One would certainly hope so.[face_laugh]

11. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I haven't read it since May 2002, so I'm not really sure, but I think it expanded on the whole Naboo scenery. It has two or three chapters set on Naboo and Tatooine (and I think on the starship Obi-Wan and Anakin return to Coruscant on) that are set before the movie starts, doing some setting up on questions of the Naberrie family, galactic politics before the Clone Wars, Shmi's abduction and Anakin's nightmares. I guess the Tatooine part was meant to mirror the additional Tatooine openning of the TPM novel.

The Tatooine opening might have been a bit too forced, if I remember correctly, and it takes away from the mystery structure of the whole piece, but it does give you additional scenes if you're after that. Same with the Tusken camp. It has one or two pages of Anakin going berserk, but here I really think that both the movie and the comic did better by not showing too much. Still, clearly more stuff.

And didn't it have some parts on the Naberrie family, too, while Anakin is there? Some of the dvd cut scenes should be in there, given additional weight by really being in the flow of the story. I think it had Daddy Naberrie talking to Anakin in the kitchen or something like that...

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I like the prequel novels tons in general, and AOTC in particular; it really fleshes out the movie, although it lacks the ROTS novel's operatic qualities.

But it's always good to have more: Jango and Boba, Anakin and the Naberries, Obi-Wan's horror at the clone army, Yoda's thoughts when he hears Qui-Gon for the first time, a better description of the battle of Geonosis and details about exactly why the clone army proves itself to be superior to droids, a bit of backstory for Dooku, and the actual kidnapping-of-Shmi scene.

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's been awhile since I read it, but I did enjoy it, especially the parts that added to Jango and Boba's relationship.

14. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    IMO, the only movie novelization worth reading is ROTS.

15. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    False.

The ANH novel is not only strong, it is awesome, and it is respected elsewhere.

16. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    I didn't really care for it.

17. canadianjedimama

canadianjedimama Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 28, 2008
    Phoning? More like wrote it out on a cocktail napkin and mailed it economy post. :p I know it's adapting a screenplay into a novel, hardly orginal or exciting work for an author, I'm sure, but still. The ANH and ROTS novelizations are fantastic reads, so it is possible to make good reading out of George's original ideas. ;)

Only redeeming factor IMHO: It fleshed out A/P a tiny bit more. Not quite the sudden about face for Padme in the novel as it was in the film.

I have it only to soothe my OCD completionist disorder.[face_not_talking]

[face_peace] CJM

18. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    I seem to recall it containing a rather bizarre sentence describing how Padme's breasts looked in that corset outfit.

19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    They looked like M&Ms.

:p

20. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    You think that's bizarre?

The whole point of the outfit even in the movie was the drive those things home. I mean... it was definitely on Anakin's mind, it was on my mind admittedly(and surely a healthy percentage of the male audience, and some of the female audience at that), and was certainly on Padme's mind since she decided to wear that outfit at all(let us not also forget that backless number she wore when they shared their first kiss).

Makes sense to include a description to me.

21. Jedi Vince

Jedi Vince Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 1999
    I reread this a couple years ago, and remember liking its structure, and how it enhanced the film.

However, I found the prose to be a little dry. But I have to consider that my second reading came just after another reading of Stover's Revenge of the Sith. Most anything would seem dry after that.

But I would definitely add Attack of the Clones to the collection.

22. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Yes, it's certainly worth it and I enjoyed it. While it doesn't expand a whole lot on the story (although it nicely expands on the Jango-Boba relationship), it follows the movie faithfully.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Amazon had it for $5 for a while.

24. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Are we talking $5 paperback or hardcover? If hardcover, you'd be a moron to pass it up.

I'm still wrestling with the decision to buy a slipcover of the TPM novelization for 20 bucks. It's really nice, with an embossed cover.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I am that moron.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.