main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Omaha, NE AotC Novel...

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Ummeiko, May 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ummeiko

Ummeiko Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2001
    I was just curious who else has read the AotC novel and what were your thoughts? I just finished it last night, and about the only thing I can say is that I thought the beginning of the novel was better than the beginning of the movie, and that the end of the novel wasn't as good as the end of the movie, because I guess it's kind of hard to read a lightsaber battle and get as much as from it as watching it... *shrugs*

To quote the beloved Jedi master:
    "A thought, anyone?"

2. paperclipx

paperclipx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2001
    I agree the book adds a lot more detail to several scenes. But the opening of the book is just background information for the whole "mother" thing. I actually wish they would have went with the saber battle from the book. Much more involved!

3. Ummeiko

Ummeiko Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2001
    I agree that the novel's end saber battle was good and involved, but I almost seemed to read through it TOO fast, so it was harder to get a visual. That and the entire last battle took what, one or two chapters? I don't know, but to me it seemed like they tried to cram it in. *shrugs* Oh well... in my opinion, both the book and the movie have their pluses and minuses.

4. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    Very true. But after reading the novel, I thought the on screen saber duel was was very short and too fast.

5. That awful vracer

That awful vracer Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2000
    I agree, Mark. OF all the stuff the so-called "super editor" could have cut, the duel was the worst area he could have cut. The book was very descriptive of the duel. Especially the fact the Dooku was toying with Obi-wan, and was in fact, far ahead of him, ability wise. THe book also went to great lengths to illustrate the fact that Anakin was very powerful, and that Dooku was having a tough time fighting him. In fact, at one point in their part of the fight, Anakin used the force to hold Dooku in place while fighting, an event which startled Dooku. I also got the impression that Dooku loped off Anakin's arm as a decperation act. You don't really get a sense of this from the movie. The book also depicted the the Yoda-Dooku portion of the fight as Yoda toying with Dooku, and that Yoda was about to beat him, until Dooku droped the wall-thingie in order to get away. The movie, on the other hand, made it look like an even match up.

I'm also a little disappointed, because the duel made no definitive statement about Anakin's character, either way. The movie made a big deal about Anakin not jumping ship after Padme fell out, and the whole "she'd do her duty" thing. He didn't even have much of a reaction to getting his arm cut off. He just sorta fainted. The duel's only real saving grace is the Yoda lightsaber action. :cool: :cool:

6. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    Yes, I was really looking forward to Anakin and Dooku, just because of how powerful it reveals Ani to be. Using the force to contain Dooku and such. I thought Ani using 2 sabers went on for much longer, also. The only shot that makes me wonder is the shot of Dooku right after "trimming" Anakin. He has this somewhat relieved look, but the expression on his face seems more like one of regret, like he feels bad he had to dice up his arm. And it didnt appear he was about to move in for the kill either, as he does in the novel. Given that editing, along with the weird facial expression, kinda makes you wonder if perhaps he knows of Sidious' intentions for Anakin and he isnt too thrilled with having to cleave his masters "prize."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.