AOTC: Oscar nominations

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Master-Luke, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master-Luke Jedi Knight

star 1
    The oscar nominations will be out February 11. Since I couldn't find any threads that have been recently active on discussing this topic I thought it would be great to create one.

So, you have one day to make your predictions on how many (if any) nominations AOTC will recieve. Here are my predictions;

1. best visual effects
    2. best sound
    3. best sound effects editing
    4. best original score

YJ edit: See my last post.
  2. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    * visual effects
    * sound effects
  3. Frank_Booth Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ahh yes! The Oscars, the ultimate guilty pleasure. ;)

Attack of the Clones has no chance of scoring any of the big nominations, but some of the technicals are withing it's reach.

First, an advertisement from ILM and George:

http://www.oscarwatch.100megs18.com/FYC/Fox/starwars.html

Okay, here's what I think AOTC will get:

Best Visual Effects

Lol. Yeah, pretty sorry, eh?

It has a slim chance at the following:

Best Sound

It has next to no chance (but better than zero) in:

Best Costuming
    Best Art Direction
    Best Editing

Categories where it is ineligible:

Best Sound Editing
    Best Makeup
  4. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    AOTC won't win anything, but will get nominated for best visual effects. After TPM got stiffed by a novelty effect, we can be pretty sure AOTC has almost no chance of winning anything.
  5. Frank_Booth Jedi Knight

star 1
    Let's add to the topic at hand, say:

"What noms do you think AOTC will get AND what noms do you think it deserves?"
  6. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I think that's up to the thread creator. I don't want to derail his thread by getting into another basher-gusher war.
  7. Master-Luke Jedi Knight

star 1
    <"What noms do you think AOTC will get AND what noms do you think it deserves?">

Good idea, Frank_Booth.

I think AOTC definitely deserves the 4 nominations I mentioned before, especially Best Score. I believe AOTC also deserves to be nominated for Art direction, Costume Design and Film Editing but probably won't be.
    As for the major awards, I don't think the acting and screenplay in AOTC were up to the Accademy Awards' standard. However, I believe AOTC was surely one of the most entertaining movies of 2002 (even better than LOTR: The Two Towers) so SHOULD but WON'T be nominated for best picture. The Accademy Awards prefer low-brow dramatic films ( eg: A Beautiful Mind) or large-scale epics (Braveheart, Ben Hur, Lord of the Rings) to science fiction films such as Attack of the Clones.
  8. Darth Mischievous Force Ghost

star 6
    I agree that Episode II won't take home any Oscars.

I'd say either Spider-Man or LOTR: TTT will win for best special effects.
  9. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well since the thread creator okayed it, I will participate.

I think it deserves at LEAST noms in the following categories:

Best Picture
    Best Screenplay
    Best Supporting Actor (Ewan McGregor)
    Best Sound
    Best Visual Effects
    Best Musical Score
    Best Costuming
    Best Art Direction

I think it will get nominated for best sound and best visual effects and won't win either.
  10. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    `Categories where it is ineligible: Best Sound Editing, Best Makeup'

Why is this? :)

And I think there are too many new choices for technial awards now days for SW to win.
  11. Frank_Booth Jedi Knight

star 1
    Some Oscar categories hopefuls are chosen by voting to make a short-list from which the actual nominations are made, such as Best Makeup, Best Sound Editing, Best Visual Effects.

The voters of these categories give each eligible film's makeup/effects/whatever a grade, and IIRC there is an average grade (ie. 8.00 or something) each must pass in order to make the short-list.

Infact, only two movies are eligible for best makeup this year, due to this ******-up method of pre-selecting the nominees:

Frida
    &
    Time Machine

:D :(

Pretty pathetic choices.
  12. stacysatrip Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it deserves noms for visual effects, sound and costume design. I'm sure it will get a nom for effects, but probably nothing else. The score is great, but it's not exactly "original" except for the love theme and some of the in-between stuff. I'm sure TTT and Spiderman will also grab the f/x noms. TTT will win. (Personally, I didn't see anything that great about Spiderman's effects--lots of explosions, but like that's something new. Plus, the CGI Spiderman really looked CGI.) TTT had good effects I guess, and it will depend on whether voters preferred CGI Yoda or CGI Gollum. I think they were both equally well done.
  13. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    If we're talking nominations, then I agree with foxbatklr's choices. We could argue about what it should actually win, but in terms of nominations those look good.
  14. TheFury Jedi Knight

star 3
    AOTC won't be nominated OR win any. The medias' anti-star wars campaign, every stupid little internet poll, every other awards ceremony, every whinging fan-boy who picks over every little detail that didn't meet their expectations and every so-called Star Wars site which is plastered with news of it's demise has resulted in a massive feeling of negativity towards the prequels.

The Oscars would look silly to award it any of the big prizes, just the same as they would if the gave Britney Spears Best Actress.

As for the technical awards - Lucas as an independant is so anti-Hollywood that the voters are more likely to give it to someone who is part of the Hollywood system.

Just look at that thing Lucas is building in San Fransisco. It's being set up to rival Hollywood and that is going to piss so many people off.

IT SHOULD be nominated for -

FX
    Sound
    Score
    Costumes
    Supporting Actor - Ewan McGregor
    Production Design
    and Cinematography

I also think it should be nominated for Best Picture, Director and Screenplay.

People are going to be quoting AOTC lines, acting out the scenes, copying the scenes, and generally being influenced by AOTC for years to come. Will you be able to say that about the winner?

15. A-WingsRule Jedi Master

star 4
    Me, being the gusher that I am, thinks that AotC deserves all of the awards! :) But, back down to earth, it should get Best Effects, for Yoda alone (Gollum is good, but he's easy - no clothes!). And about best sound...

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!
  16. blobo Jedi Knight

star 1
    Best Picture and Best Screenplay, your having a laugh int you foxbatllr?
  17. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    What it will get in the least:

Best visual effects
    Best sound effects editing

Of course, if we remember the British awards, AOTC was snubbed of a visual effects nomination in place of Spider-Man and Gangs of New York [face_plain]

What I think it should get nominated for:

Best visual effects
    Best sound effects & editing
    Best costume design
    Best cinematography
    Best score
    Best art direction
    Best make-up

And if anything GL deserves some type of technical award for digital filmaking. In the next ten years, digital filmaking will be as big as film (it's cheaper and works just as well as film, with clearer imagry).

Hell, if I had it my way AOTC would win best picture, but it's not going to happen.

It's not going to win any awards either. When AOTC first came out, it got some pretty good reviews. However, recently I've noticed certain critics completely change their minds. One critic ended up giving AOTC the same grade he gave FOTR (which was a good one), yet he ended up putting it on the worst films of the year list.

I see no reason for the academy to be any different, and frankly, that's just a shame.
  18. TheFury Jedi Knight

star 3
    It's not just the critics. The first few months of AOTCs' release it has a score of 8.7 and was in the top 20 movies of all time on IMDB. Then the haters got hold of it and it's now down to 7.5 and is not even in the top 250.
  19. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Oscar noms? Don't make me laugh. If AOTC gets nominated for, say, Best FX, it'll only be nominated so the Academy will get to gyp it in favor of the media pet movie du jour (probably TTT or Spiderman), and the press will get to gloat over SW losing again.
  20. Frank_Booth Jedi Knight

star 1
    ST-... LOL! ;)

Like I posted above, AOTC was deemed ineligible for a Best Sound (Effects) Editing nom.
  21. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus

star 6
  22. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    Don't suppose a mod could edit the post that stuffs up the thread? :)
  23. SLAVE2 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It wouldn't surprise me if AOTC got nominated for nothing, actually I'm sure it won't.
  24. royalguard96 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I will be shocked beyond belief if AOTC is nominated for anything. Not that I don't think it doesn't deserve it, I just think it won't.

I mean, the razzies DID give it several nominations for the worsr whatever of the year, right??? And we all know what a credible, traditional standard those are, right?

[face_plain]
  25. ksid Jedi Master

star 4
    Why worry about Oscars, when we're a contender already

...for the razzies! The razzies try to lavish AOTC with all the attention and we turn away from them!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.