main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC: Oscar nominations

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Master-Luke, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    What the oscars should do is wait for 20 years then vote for the best in film.

A pity it'll never happen.

EDIT: Could call it the Hindsight awards.

2. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    "All that says to me is that there are more orcs than there were before, not that 'his armies gravitated back to him'."

Now you're just splitting hairs. :)

"And some might call that exposition. If this were SW, one would probably say...why not show us rather than tell us?"

I assume you mean verbal exposition, as opposed to visual exposition. However, we do see Saruman's deference to Sauron time and again; we see him take Sauron's orders, we see him praise Sauron (both behind his back and to his face). The point is driven home in every possible way: Saruman, once a trusted ally of Middle-Earth's defenders, has surrendered his will to Sauron. Obviously, this comes as a surprise to his former comrades, and so it's clear that his turnaround is, at least in part, Sauron's work.

"That, and I'm at work...I think my boss is wondering exactly what I'm getting getting done."

Yeah, same here; I'll be back later on. :)

3. TheFury

TheFury Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2003
    More LOTR debate?

I've seen both movies a few times and couldn't tell you why the bad-guy does what he does.

And we're meant to be talking Oscars here.
    Trisha Biggar was robbed.

4. DeathStar1977

DeathStar1977 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2003
    "Now you're just splitting hairs."

Probably.

I don't know why we are even arguing or remember how this started, as I said, I love LOTR.

Anyway, its kinda foolish to compare Sauron to any character in SW..he's just such a different kind of villian...kinda like Palpatine. Both are unique in their own way.

EDIT: Right, oscars. The costume design was very good in AOTC, especially Padme's ripped shirt.

5. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    The Fury, since you found the battle in TTT confusing, could you please explain for us the sequence of events in the battle in AOTC? what is happening there? who is winning and when? what are the strategies in this battle?

6. TheFury

Jan 27, 2003
    "The Fury, since you found the battle in TTT confusing, could you please explain for us the sequence of events in the battle in AOTC? what is happening there? who is winning and when? what are the strategies in this battle? "
    ===============

Oooh, more LOTR fans bashing Star Wars on Star Wars board. We're doomed!

But just for you - the Jedi show up to save Obi-Wan and get rid of the sepratists who have been trying to assasinate Senators, split the Republic in two and build a huge droid army(naughty boys).

The Jedi get their asses kicked in the arena because they are outnumbered.

Yoda arrives with a Clone Cavalry to save the day.

The Sepratists then try to escape the planet. Do you remember the huge ball things leaving the ground and trying to get into space? Well get this - they are bad guy space-ships...whoooo.

The Jedi and the Clones try to stop them.

Leading to the huge ground battle.

The droids are trying to hold off the army so that the seperatists can escape.

The Clones win and the Droid army retreats.

Pretty simple really. Easy to understand, brilliantly imagined and realised by all at Lucasfilm.

7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Great. Another LOTR vs Star Wars debate. Just what I've always wanted to be a part of. [face_plain]

Seriously, Lucas is rarely snubbed. His companies ILM and Skywalker Sound, and Lucasfilm itself have been nominated dozens of times and have won several.

Star Wars won four and Empire and Jedi both won a couple.

AOTC? The ones I could think of are: Visual Effects.

8. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    I thought the word on Treasure Planet was that it both sucked and blowed.

Treasure Planet was decent enough; its two main problems, box-office wise, were (1) an overcrowded holiday season, with two or more major releases a week, and (2) a very limited audience; not many 13-year-old boys, which the film was aimed at, are still into Disney cartoons. Titan A.E. had the same problem.

Regardless, there's a lot to like about it; the animation's as good as you'd expect (the highlight is a half-hand drawn, half-CG cyborg), and the character design and world building are both imaginative.

9. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    "Oooh, more LOTR fans bashing Star Wars on Star Wars board. We're doomed!"

i merely asked you a question, you need not be so sensitive. i could just as easily address your posts as "more LOTR bashing by Star Wars fans ona Star Wars board... if you hate the film so much why do you feel the need to keep bringing it up? on a Star Wars board no less."

in your answer you did not explain the strategies or events of the battle, merely that there was one, which is exactly my point, it was just a big battle with no direction, major events, or discernible strategy or evolution. also i was asking about the battle itself, not the events leading up to it or the outcome, but it seems you need to include desciption of this to make it seem like something happened DURING the battle.

also i was wondering, why is the film called Attack Of The Clones? the clones dont really attack anything. it should have been called Defense By The Clones From An Unclear Invasion.

10. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    to those of you who think the academy is biased against Lucas, how do you explain the academy awarding Lucas one of their highest honors: The Irving Thalberg Memorial Award? this was in 1992 no less.

11. TheFury

Jan 27, 2003
    "i merely asked you a question, you need not be so sensitive. i could just as easily address your posts as "more LOTR bashing by Star Wars fans ona Star Wars board... if you hate the film so much why do you feel the need to keep bringing it up? on a Star Wars board no less."

I didn't bring it up. Rebel Scumb did when he told us all how superior TTT was to AOTC. I am merely defending a great film against a poor or at best average one. And everytime a LOTR film is compared to Star Wars I will do the same.
    So if you don't like me saying how terrible LOTR is, don't compare it to Star Wars.

"in your answer you did not explain the strategies or events of the battle,"

Yes I did. The Jedi/Clones are trying to get rid of the seperatists and the droid army was being used to hold off the Clones so that the seperatists could escape. What else is there to say? Are you honestly asking for tactics?

Explain why in TTT there is a huge hole in the castle wall?

"it was just a big battle with no direction, major events, or discernible strategy or evolution. "

What are you talking about? It's almost the same as the battle on Hoth in ESB.
    In that battle, the rebels were trying to hold off the Empire so that their ships could escape.
    In AOTC the droids are trying to hold off the Clones so that their ships could escape.
    It's no different. Only different in your mind.

"also i was wondering, why is the films called Attack Of The Clones? the clones dont really attack anything. "

Didn't they attack the sepratist droid army in the arena?
    Didn't they attack the droid armies on the plains of Geonosis?

Some of you people should watch the film more closely.

12. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    TheFury, you should be ashamed of yourself. You're defending AOTC on a SW message board. Don't you know that you're supposed to bash it? Supposed to go on and on about how AOTC was only a slight improvement over TPM but TTT completely blows it away in every way, shape and form?

And jeez, explaining what was already very clear about the battle in AOTC. Gosh, you're really a piece of work. Don't you know you're supposed to sit there and complain about how it was totally muddled and horrible and no one could tell what was going on, whereas you had tears of joy and rapture running down your face during the magnificent TTT battle?

Ah well. You'll learn.

13. TheFury

Jan 27, 2003
    Shelley, lol, I knew I was doing something wrong. Damn.

14. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    Shelley, have you had a chance to see TTT yet? or are you going to continue with your uninformed tirades?

your credibility remains ZERO.

you sure spend alot of time talking about LOTR on a Star Wars board. why do you put so much time and energy into talking about something you hate?

15. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    *pats TheFury's hand* There, there.

Repeat after me:

"LOTR rules and the PT sucks...Jackson should take over Episode III so Lucas can't screw it up..."

Soon you'll fit right in!

16. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    lets see... by my count that is approximately the 100th post you've made about LOTR, Shelley... are you sure you're in the right place? btw, give us all a heads up when you see TTT.

17. Frank_Booth

Frank_Booth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2003
    There was more in common with ESB's Hoth Battle and TTT's Battle of Helm's Deep than with AOTC's random CGI dudes kicking up CGI dust scuffle.

Both in ESB and TTT the opposing forces move like they have a purpose, fight with a clear objective and generally act like armies.

AOTC has two CGI mobs which charge each other and kick up CG dust.

The orcs in TTT use actual, proven tactics to storm (not lay siege) a fort. The "hole in a wall" (a drain pipe) is a weakness that they exploit to launch a three-pronged assault that overwhelms the defenders. Anyone with normal sensory capabilities can quite easily follow the battle, how it starts, how it developes and how it ends.

The same with ESB.

The Imperial forces try to make a hasty blockade to prevent any rebels from escaping while simultaneously attacking the ground forces still present on the planet. This is a strike designed to knock out the powerful shield in order to enable the use of orbital bombardment. Once again, credible tactics. The rebels, realizing their dire situation mount a fighting retreat. The end result is a strategic win for the alliance and a tactical win for the empire. The rebels live to fight another day but the Empire controls the field of battle.

Compare these two logically edited, easy to follow battles with the jumbled mess that is the battle of Geonosis. The battle has no direction, it's just bunch of people running towards each other, advancing or retreating without clearly defined goals. Two huge mobs of drones walking upright and loosing volley after volley of laser fire at each other.

18. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    I saw the Clone Army come in and rescue the Jedi, then attack the Separatists parked on Geonosis, forcing a hasty retreat.

19. Frank_Booth

Feb 9, 2003
    How did the Clone Army manage to surprise the Separatists so badly, anyway? One would think that such a combat drop to rescue a bunch of Jedi shouldn't force the defending, entrenched army to simply bug out?

20. TheFury

Jan 27, 2003
    "There was more in common with ESB's Hoth Battle and TTT's Battle of Helm's Deep than with AOTC's random CGI dudes kicking up CGI dust scuffle.

Both in ESB and TTT the opposing forces move like they have a purpose, fight with a clear objective and generally act like armies.

AOTC has two CGI mobs which charge each other and kick up CG dust. "

Like I said before - We're doomed!
    Most of my friends are LOTR fans and even they admit that the battle in TTT was a mess. It's the one thing they don't argue with me about.
    Peter Jackson cannot direct action sequences. He doesn't build up tension or excitment and the fight scenes look like he just threw a camera in the middle and hoped for the best. The battle in TTT is a total mess. A completly confusing muddle of dark CGI creatures climbing up an obviously miniture set. It's awful. Complete pants.

The battle in AOTC is almost identical to the battle in ESB. It was designed that way!
    That's the beuaty of the PT. Something you will never understand.

Lucas basically showed us the same battle as ESB except THIS TIME, we are on the Empires side along with the Jedi. In AOTC we no longer know who is the good guys and who is the bad? The Jedi are fighting for the people that are ultimatley going to destroy them. That's what's brilliant about the PT.

And once again - We are not bashing TTT for no reason. We are defending Star Wars on a Star Wars board. Something I never thought I'd have to do.

21. Frank_Booth

Feb 9, 2003
    Hehe, the battle of Helm's Deep that was compared to Kurosawa's mastery by many critics and film afficiandos is a mess?

Nope, it's not. Read my post. Both forces use credible tactics in both defense and attack. The focus is both personal and epic, showing us what is happening both to our heroes and to the whole of the army and the fort.

Even the Uruk-Hai are smart enough to take cover (witness the use the famous turtle formation) unlike the dumb clones and droids who stand tall and shoot from the hip.

The Battle of Geonosis isn't a battle.

It's a bar room brawl.

22. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    What the oscars should do is wait for 20 years then vote for the best in film.

A pity it'll never happen.

EDIT: Could call it the Hindsight awards.

I heartily agree with that. Looking back through some of the best picture winners, I often go "huh???" and "never heard of it." Does the Academy just lack the foresight or are they political? I think it's a combination of both, really.

23. TheFury

Jan 27, 2003
    "Hehe, the battle of Helm's Deep that was compared to Kurosawa's mastery by many critics and film afficiandos is a mess? "

That statement is shocking. How many Kurosawa films have you seen?
    Moriaty on Aint-LOTR-Cool.com mentioned Kurosawa is his review and he was laughed at. He lost all credibility by even comparing Kurosawas' genius to Hackson.

Once again - Can the LOTR fans take there discussions of that movie back to middle-earth and let us talk about Star Wars and the Oscars?

24. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    New Topic:

Why isn't George Lucas getting best Original or Adapted Screenplay for these movies?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe anyone correctly predicted the plot of these movies before they came out? After 16 years of speculation and imagination?

I give AOTC a higher grade of difficulty because it had to fit in with the OT and TPM. And still NOBODY could put it all together.

Now, the only reason I leave the option out there for the awards is purely a technical one. I guess it should be Best Adapted Screenplay, since he did make 3 previous Star Wars films, but the murkiness comes in with the timeline issue. But either one would work for me.

25. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    "And once again - We are not bashing TTT for no reason. We are defending Star Wars on a Star Wars board. Something I never thought I'd have to do."

you can blame Lucas for that.

i dont know about you, but its pretty clear "someone" here is bashing TTT for no reason... she hasnt even seen it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.