main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC: Oscar nominations

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Master-Luke, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Tha Academy is so wrong in the head it makes my blood boil. They ignore AOTC, a true masterpiece, and waste their nominations on actors like Daniel Day Lewis, Meryl Streep, and Jack Nicholson when Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman deserve to be in that spot. And they waste nominations on movies like Chicago and The Piano. We all know that AOTC, with its intentionally goofy 1930s serial dialogue, stiff "I sound bored" acting, and its overabundance of gratuitous CG critters really speaks more about humanity and represents excellence in filmmaking. Of course, I'm being sarcastic, but I know some people agreed with every dripping word of it.

I'm tired of seeing the "Academy" and "media" represented as evil and unfair in every single affair regarding Star Wars. If you guys say George Lucas intentionally did not set out to make these films as good as ANH and ESB (and some of you have said that to me in defense), then why are there complaints that it isn't getting the same amount of awards or recognition? If AOTC wasn't meant to be as good as ANH and ESB, don't expect it to be praised as much then.

If George intentionally put in "awkward dialogue and plain acting", why are you guys ticked off that AOTC doesn't get Best Acting and Best Screenplay Awards? There are only 5 slots for Best Actor/Best Actress in that category. You want to bump off Meryl Streep and Nicole Kidman for Natalie Portman? If AOTC isn't nominated, the Academy simply found five other movies that were better examples in that certain category (and that is NOT hard to find, there are a lot of movies out there making it a very stiff competition)

2. Darth_Sprocket

Darth_Sprocket Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    <<It's not just the critics. The first few months of AOTCs' release it has a score of 8.7 and was in the top 20 movies of all time on IMDB. Then the haters got hold of it and it's now down to 7.5 and is not even in the top 250.>>

I now what you mean...almost everyone that saw AOTC with me...my family...my friends...all enjoyed AOTC.....so where is the "hate" coming from.....very mysterious...

3. Darth_Sprocket

Sep 3, 2002
    <<Why worry about Oscars, when we're a contender already
    ...for the razzies! The razzies try to lavish AOTC with all the attention and we turn away from them!>>

KSID, give us a break....show some class....just because you don't like SW much anymore doesn't mean the rest of us don't....if you can't contribute in a positive way on this particular thread, then just go post in a more "basher" friendly arena.

4. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    *yawns* This is degenerating into another basher/gusher war. Already, opinions are taking over from fact.

5. DarKnight

DarKnight Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2000
    AOTC doesn't deserve an Oscar much less an Oscar nod.

6. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    So, will you honestly say that of Spider-Man gets a special effects nomination, that it deserves it more than AOTC does?

7. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    TheFury People are going to be quoting AOTC lines, acting out the scenes, copying the scenes, and generally being influenced by AOTC for years to come.

Please don't state your opinion as fact ;).

Sure the original classic trilogy is memorable and has quotable dialogue. But there is no proof (yet) that PT will be admired down the line.

Just look at that thing Lucas is building in San Fransisco. It's being set up to rival Hollywood and that is going to piss so many people off.

Firstly, there are other independent studios out there. Sure there resources might be more meagre than George Lucas's but they're still out there.

also, seeing the quality of the movies Lucasfilm churns out nowadays I wouldn't be too scared.

DS *Yawn* Here I was trying to show the positive side of things and you cut me down. How do I contribute positively in an Oscar nomination thread? come up with a conspiracy theory?

I never said anyone has to agree with my opinion. And I'm here on the forum to do just that, offer my opinion, don't take it personally. While I have said nothing personal against any other poster, you're the one who's been attacking and I take offense to your efforts to label me. I request a mod to promptly look into this and ban you. :)

That being said, AOTC worked hard to receive every single one of The Golden Raspberry nominations! Think of all the honor, glory & prestige it'll bring to the series. :D

8. Darth_Sprocket

Sep 3, 2002
    <<AOTC worked hard to receive every single one of those Golden Raspberry nominations! Think of all the honor & glory it'll bring to the series.>>

I completely disagree......you're not showing any class....typical.

9. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    you're not showing any class

Neither are you ;).

10. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Enough.

Take the Golden Raspberry discussion to that thread, for however much longer it remains open. After that, don't bring it up again.

11. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Best Picture and Best Screenplay, your having a laugh int you foxbatllr?

I'm not quite sure what you mean, looks like there are one too many typos. Anyway I'm pretty sure it was a jab at me. I think AOTC is perfectly deserving of a best picture or best screenplay nomination. Then again, even the beloved everyone-bow-down-and-worship ESB didn't get nominated for best picture or screenplay.

12. George15

George15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 4, 2002
    "That being said, AOTC worked hard to receive every single one of The Golden Raspberry nominations! Think of all the honor, glory & prestige it'll bring to the series."

LOL you bashers must be having a field day with that.

"AOTC doesn't deserve an Oscar much less an Oscar nod."

Oh I agree.There is nothing that AOTC excelled at.Nope not one thing.Wait a minute!AOTC had the best special effects.Now how that could of slipped from my mind I have no idea.

13. blobo

blobo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2002
    foxbatkllr, would u tell me how in the hell u think ATOC is deserving of best picture nomination

14. Sabreman

Sabreman Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2001
    The prequel bashers who constantly gush over the original trilogy might do well to remember that the only Oscars the original trilogy ever won were technical ones (with the exception, I suppose, of Episode IV's best score Oscar).

15. Master-Luke

Master-Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2002
    "We haven't much time"

The oscar nominations will be announced in a few hours so make your predictions before time runs out on you.

16. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    foxbatkllr, would u tell me how in the hell u think ATOC is deserving of best picture nomination

Well for one thing, it's better than ANH and that got a best picture nom. It's better than Gladiator and that WON best picture.

17. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    I appreciate that foxbattlr thinks AOTC should get a Best Picture nomination. If somebody loves the film and sees it as their favourite film of the year then why not say it? I have more respect for this attitude than for all those guys proclaiming AOTC as a masterpiece but then saying that it doesn't deserve a Best Picture Oscar. I might not agree with foxbattlr but at least he's sticking to his opinion.

18. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Maybe sound and effects.
    Won't win anything though.

19. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    %^%&^ it! I'll put me post where me mouth is then.

Best Visual FXs.

Best Sound Editing

And

Best Score (Across the Stars seemed to be talked about on this board, G-d knows why though)

EDIT: And will someone for the love of $%$%#% fix this page! :mad:

20. tDR

tDR Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    HAHAHAHA did u see the predictions on that oscars website?? HAHAHAHA its not even nominated for VisualFX!!!! HAHA man i love star wars.

I HATE MEDIA, i hate commercial, i hate typical crap.

AOTC might not win an oscar, but it won our hearts and imaginations. who cares about "hollywood"

21. denseyjedi

denseyjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2002
    No nomination FOR BEST DIRECTOR FOR Peter Jackson!!!

22. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    No, but Polanski got one!

A surpise, both ways. I'm trying to find tech nominations...

23. denseyjedi

May 5, 2002
    AOTC nominated for best visual effects......

24. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    AOTC didn't get a best picture nomination. WHY! :mad: :_|

8-}

I wish it did though :D

25. denseyjedi

May 5, 2002
    VISUAL EFFECTS
    THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS
    SPIDER-MAN