main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC: Oscar nominations

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Master-Luke, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    "Saving Private Ryan was a great movie throughout the whole movie. Not just the first 25 minutes."

Not even in the forst 25min IMHO.

Thin red line was what really got robbed that year.

2. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "I really want to hear at least three SOLID reasons why TTT should be nominated for best picture over AOTC"

1)TTT had solid acting from all principals (except hugo weaving), even most who like AOTC agree the acting is terrible.

2)TTT has incredible FX both old and new, AOTC looks like a video game

3)TTT is a compelling story of good versus evil, both internal and external, its cliamtic battle shows both nature vs technology but also men overcoming their personal demons, and there is an epic battle o protect the lives of women and children. AOTC has an epic battle between faceless clones and faceless robots both of whom serve corrupt political institutions whose belief systems are never discussed nor explained. It has no main hero, nor main villan.

4)By most accounts TTT is superior to its predessors, where as even in the SW fan community many find AOTC pales compared to TPM and especially the OT.

5)TTT is about something and has characters which anyone can relate to. AOTC is not, and does not.

6)AOTC has some of the poorest editting I've ever seen in a feature film.

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Everyone has different tastes in movies. It's pretty much pointless to argue with someone over their personal tastes... it's not likely to change anything. I like AOTC. I think it's a great film, and every time I watch it, I forget about the real world for two and a half hours. I have no worries, and I have nothing else on my mind.

Whether or not AOTC gets nominated for or wins any awards isn't going to change my opinion. Thousands of people ripping apart AOTC's acting, effects, etc. non-stop isn't going to change my opinion.

If the Academy doesn't like AOTC, hey, that's their personal opinions. I'm not going to tell them that their opinion is wrong, but I will disagree with them. My right to enjoy AOTC is the same right that allows them to enjoy a different movie. Some people aren't into the entire Star Wars story. They find it confusing or boring, or it just isn't a genre that they're interested in. That's fine, since I doubt I'd like half of the movies that are even nominated.

Am I disappointed that AOTC didn't receive more nominations? Slightly. Am I surprised? Not at all. When it comes down to it, the Oscars are voted on by personal opinions. I don't think George Lucas cares whether or not AOTC wins anything. I think he has a story that he wants to tell, and he'll continue to tell it, even if some people don't appreciate or enjoy it, because there are plenty of people who do.

4. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    "By most accounts TTT is superior to its predessors"

Not by my account. Compared to FOTR, TTT resembles that mythic "video game" that you claimed AOTC resembled.

I thought AOTC, Signs, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Catch Me if You Can, and Spider-Man were all superior films to TTT.

But I felt FOTR was superior to all but AOTC (and maybe AOTC if I am in the right mood).

5. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    By most accounts TTT is superior to its predessors

Not by mine, either.

TTT was a huge drop in quality, IMHO.

And TTT was "about something"? I agree, it was about 2 hours too long.

-Otis

6. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    I think the other thing to bare in mind is opinion is not the only dictorate.
    The oscars are awarded based on professional craft by fellow filmmakers and actors. like any job there are better ways to do things then others, yes it is some what subjective, but the fact remains there are good ways to frame a shot, compose a score, edit a scene, portraya character, jsut as there are bad ways.

Actors vote on acting, directors vote of directing.

Whatever your job may be, whether its flipping burgers or preparing dead bodies for funerals, hopefully you take pride in your work, and can recognize who at your work is the most professional and works the best, whether you like them or not. And that is the case here, whether people like AOTC, whether they enjoy it, while not irrelevant to the chosing process it is not all that important either, films are more then entertainment.

If I were a painter, I could throw a couple buckets of bright colours on a canvas and hang it in a musuem,a nd people might like it, it might be pleasing to look at, it may make them smile and they may think they see something signigant in it, but that doesn't change the fact that all I did was make a big mess of colours.

The oscars are professionals judging professionals, do i agree with there choices? Not always, generally I find the right films get nominated, but the wrong film usually wins. Politicing does take place, but never forget these are people who take this very seriously, its their job and they are not joe blows with no knowledge of film. to vote you must have won an oscar yourself.

I recently had the great pleasure of meeting the gentleman who won a best FX oscar for his work on superman, he is on the commity which selects the FX nominees, and this guy was great, he was stille enamoured with FX as ever and told em about when he worked for a week on 2001: a space odessey. He was thrilled that he had just recieved his academy TTT dvd screener, and was enthrawled with how seemless the FX were.

Again my point is, he's not jsut some fanboy with an axe to grind, this a man who has worked with the best and has a solid understanding of his craft. I'd rather he be voting then some yahoo with a blockbuster membership.

7. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "TTT was a huge drop in quality, IMHO."

The first time I saw it I would agree with you, however on repeat viewing the film has greatly grown on me, the ending almost brought me to tears on the third screening, where as what bits I liked of AOTC all but dissappeared in subsequent screenings.

8. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "where as even in the SW fan community many find AOTC pales compared to TPM and especially the OT."

Not sure which Fan Community that is... According to this poll, the fans here rate AOTC second best in the Saga, only behind ESB.

9. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    And TTT was "about something"? I agree, it was about 2 hours too long.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Good one, Otis_Frampton.

10. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    1)TTT had solid acting from all principals (except hugo weaving), even most who like AOTC agree the acting is terrible

I agree that as a whole, the acting in TTT is better than in AOTC, but I also like the acting in AOTC.

2)TTT has incredible FX both old and new, AOTC looks like a video game

If by "old and new" you mean combining miniatures with CG, TPM and AOTC feature more miniature models than any other films to date. And I could never understand why people say the effects look like a video game. Why are they any worse than mass legions of CG creations concealed in the dark?

3)TTT is a compelling story of good versus evil, both internal and external, its cliamtic battle shows both nature vs technology but also men overcoming their personal demons, and there is an epic battle o protect the lives of women and children. AOTC has an epic battle between faceless clones and faceless robots both of whom serve corrupt political institutions whose belief systems are never discussed nor explained. It has no main hero, nor main villan

And why is that a bad thing? So many movies today have plots and storylines that are EXACTLY the same thing, AOTC's plot was refreshing. I guess not everybody can appreciate change though.

4)By most accounts TTT is superior to its predessors, where as even in the SW fan community many find AOTC pales compared to TPM and especially the OT

TTT is the second sequel. The same thing happened with TESB. If there was a Lord of the Rings 5, I can pretty much gurantee there would a split fan base with people who thinks it's better or worse than it's precessors.

5)TTT is about something and has characters which anyone can relate to. AOTC is not, and does not

What is TTT about exactly? The last I checked it was about Frodo and Sam wandering around Mordor and not getting anywhere, and about the heroes winning a big battle at the end which doesn't help either Saruman or Aragorn and his followers gain victory. Why is that better than AOTC's story? And I'm sorry to say, I don't relate much to Gimili, Frodo, or Aragorn anymore than I do Obi-Wan, Yoda, or Cliegg.

6)AOTC has some of the poorest editting I've ever seen in a feature film

Where exactly? If you want an example of poor editing, watch FOTR again. During Boromir's death scene, everytime the camera is focused on Boromir, his arm in on Aragorn's shoulder. Everytime the camera focuses on Aragorn, Boromir's arm is gone. That by far is a more noticable "poor" editing job than anything in AOTC.

Also, I don't know if you knew this already, I took this list from MovieMistakes.com:

Here's the list of the twenty most mistake filled films ever:

(1) The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 206
    (2) The Matrix - 184
    (3) Titanic - 157
    (4) Spider-Man - 150
    (5) Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - 149
    (6) The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - 145
    (7) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - 142
    (8) Jurassic Park - 110
    (9) Terminator 2: Judgment Day - 108
    (10) The Fast and the Furious - 106
    (11) Die Another Day - 105
    (12) Gladiator - 99
    (13) Pearl Harbor - 96
    (14) Top Gun - 91
    (15) Star Wars - 90
    (16) The Wizard of Oz - 88
    (17) Independence Day - 87
    (18) Saving Private Ryan - 86
    (19) Minority Report - 79
    (20) Attack of the Clones - 78

It's funny how "superior" films like Lord of the Rings have nearly three times as many mistakes as AOTC has [face_shocked]

11. muymaul

muymaul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 24, 1999
    Congrats to AOTC, but come on people, the Oscars are a joke! SW films will never get properly recognized (or many other fantasy/sci-fi movies). They are a popularity contest and a matter of who spends more money to court their votes. That is why "Shakespeare in Love" won over "Saving Private Ryan." It was publicized that Harvey Weinstein spent a good deal money to get the vote. This is what the Oscars have become and the same LOTR fans who are crying this year about the Oscars dissing TTT will be the same ones praising them if ROTJ wins some major awards.

12. Leavethattome

Leavethattome Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2002
    Star wars, Spider-man, Lord of the Rings, all nominated for best visual effects.

I am not sure who will win, because no one has won yet. Don't ask questions.

However there is one question that needs answering: Why in the world was Scooby Doo not nominated for anything? I mean at least nominate that outkast song!

13. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    "(1) The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 206

(20) Attack of the Clones - 78"

^^ Wow....more compelling evidence that AOTC (and TPM) is superior to the "revered" Tolkein saga. :cool:

Anyone else want to make up more "facts" to shill around this Star Wars message board?

[face_plain]

14. Leavethattome

Mar 10, 2002
    Star Wars has light sabres, how unrealistic is that? Very unrealistic, Light is not a sword, GL should never have thought of this for the PT. OT RULES!!

15. Gigolo_Joe

Gigolo_Joe Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2002
    [edited]

YJ edit: Around here, we call that "trolling".

16. Leavethattome

Mar 10, 2002
    Yes Gollum did look awesome, I also liked Watto and Scooby Doo.

17. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    Yeah, but did you notice all 206 mistakes? No, so shut up

I didn't notice all 78 mistakes in AOTC either. And I'm sure nobody else did either. So why are you being so negative? :)

Two Towers was a wonderful movie and a lot better compared to AOTC. I find it funny that everyone is so quick to dismiss Gollum. He was an amazing creation. Who the hell cares about Yoda's clothes? Gollum had ultra realistic skin and had an excellent performance that made you think he was really there. The scene where Frodo calls him Smeagol and his final decision at the end of the movie are two examples of how truly amazing he was

I found Gollum to be just as annoying as Jar Jar was. Now, I like Jar Jar, so that means I like Gollum, but I never felt actual emotion over Gollum. I never felt sad for him. Half the time I just wished he would shut up ;)

And for the record, I find Watto to be the most realistic of them all. I prefer Yoda to Gollum as well.

18. The_Abstract

Jul 16, 2002
    "Yeah, but did you notice all 206 mistakes? No, so shut up."

I probably would have if I hadn't dozed off halfway through. The only thing that woke me up was the severe cramping in my legs.

19. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "Where exactly? If you want an example of poor editing, watch FOTR again. During Boromir's death scene, everytime the camera is focused on Boromir, his arm in on Aragorn's shoulder. Everytime the camera focuses on Aragorn, Boromir's arm is gone. That by far is a more noticable "poor" editing job than anything in AOTC."

learn the difference between continuity and editing before you comment.

20. Leavethattome

Mar 10, 2002
    Do any of you work in film? I write for my local newspaper.

21. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    learn the difference between continuity and editing before you comment

I do know the difference. And I'm pretty sure there's bad editing in the Boromir death scene ;)

22. The_Abstract

Jul 16, 2002
    "AOTC has an epic battle between faceless clones and faceless robots both of whom serve corrupt political institutions whose belief systems are never discussed nor explained. It has no main hero, nor main villan."

P-A-L-P-A-T-I-N-E = E-V-I-L

J-E-D-I = G-O-O-D

That should do the trick. ;)

23. Leavethattome

Mar 10, 2002
    Wow I am going to cry

24. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    This is in reply to dolphin's question:

If ILM or Skywalker Sound have more than one nomination per category does that mean two representatives of the company attend the ceremony? Different teams work on different projects I imagine.

The people for each project are selected beforehand. It depends. For example in Skywalker Sound, where teams are smaller is not unusual for say, Gary Rydstrom to be nominated in the 2 sound categories or say even in the same category for the different films film. He competed against himself in 1991 in both categories for Backdraft and T2.

On ILM, usually each film project has a different team (VFX supervisors) so the nominees are different (though I think Stan Winston once competed against hilmself and also one of the guys from Amalgameted Dynamics) so even if all the three final VFX nominees were from ILM, all the people would be different.

25. TadjiStation

TadjiStation Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Do any of you work in film?

Yes

I write for my local newspaper.

Cool! :)

What paper? Do you write editorials, movie reviews, the city beat?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.