main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hawaii AOTC reviews

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Ewaeagle, May 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewaeagle

Ewaeagle Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2002
    I just came back and I have to say that AOTC was an awesome experience. I can't wait to go again tonight.

YODA...are you kidding me? Holy cow!!! I would see the movie over and over again just to see that part.

I can't believe that the critics gave this movie bad reviews. I just can't understand why they did it. After watching the movie tonight I don't know which is my favorite now. ESB or AOTC??? I'll be back again later to talk about it more, but all I can say now is "AWESOME, TRULY AWESOME!!!" :D

2. JarJarIsBoba

JarJarIsBoba Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    The only thing keeping me up right now is the high I'm still on from watching Attack of the Clones!

I'm a real spoiler buff...and I read everything short of watching the bootleg...and I was STILL surprised in many scenes.

I'm going to go watch it again later tonight when I'm not as tired.

Oh yeah...it was GREAT. :)

3. Yoda808

Yoda808 Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2002
    Yeah, I thought it was pretty good. I am proud to say that my namesake is Yoda. He frickin tore it up last night.

However, I thought that the beginning started off a little slow. I think that it didn't really pick up until the Obi-Wan/Jango Fett duel on Kamino. Some of love scenes did feel a little forced as well. These things were pretty minor though and I still enjoyed the movie.

But yeah, I'm going to see viewing #2 later tonight, maybe on a digital screen since I'm on the mainland right now, but I am definitely seeing it again, and again, and again.

4. Ewaeagle

Ewaeagle Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2002
    I liked everything about the movie EXCEPT Hayden Christensen's acting. It was terrible. The love story worked for me and the plot on a whole fits into the scheme of things. Although, I wish there was more Sith stuff. Now I'm wondering how George Lucas will fit all of what's left into Ep. III.

I read Roger Ebert's review this morning. I usually respect his reviews but with AOTC he has it all wrong. Did any you guys read it? He makes it sound like AOTC is supposed to be a "stand alone" movie. If that is the case, then why have all the sequels and prequels? Where has he been for the past 25 years? If a person goes into the movie thinking he or she will pick up the story without watching the other films, then of course they will be disappointed because they will be totally lost. I think these critics expect too much from George Lucas. There's only so much a guy can do with 2 hours and 20 mins.

5. jedisurfer

jedisurfer Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2002
    I went to the 12:01 show, loved it! I really think it was better (over all) than episode I. Episode I was a little to dialog heavy, but it needed to be, to flush out the over all story, I undersand that. So I thought that this movie would answer all the cliff hangers from the last one, and it did. I like the fact "clones" was a little darker, and if you look at the first three movies, you can understand better all the clues! It's slowly coming together in one nice little package!? Lucas has a task ahead of him. He needs to wrap EVERYTHING up in the next movie! I too thought the love story was alittle rushed, kinda forced, but the rest of the movie really made up for it. I thought it strange that anakin really went off about obi-wan to Amidala! Very Un-Jedi like. I would have liked to see the tusken rader attack a little longer (I'm sooo..sick!) And I totally loved going back to moister farm on tatooine! Seeing anakin sitting at the same table his furture son will be sitting at, on the same chair!Yeah!....COOL! (well, maybe it's just me) I just hope Lucas will do even better next time, how good?......try Oscar good!... You never know.

6. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    saw it twice today. Finally gave in, and took 3 hours off from work, so we got to Dole at 3:40, 5 minutes for 3:45 show but only front row seats left, so we waited for the 4:15 show. Remember, I had already pre-bought tickets to the 7 PM showing, so we had about 5 minutes to race down from screen 8 to screen 12. Did you realize that Dole is showing AOTC in digital? Dolby Digital is not digital sound; it's digital projection. I emailed signature and asked; they confirmed they are showing it in digital projection. That's what made it so clear. I didn't notice it that much in screen 8 (probably too caught up in the story), but really noticed it in screen 12 the second time. almost like 3D, but not quite 3D. going again next week.

7. jedisurfer

May 16, 2002
    Really digital! I guess I'm seeing it at Dole next time. Did you say only screen 12 or you only noticed it in screen 12!? You would think they(Dole) would make a bigger deal of the Digital projection thing, I would. I checked last week on the web, they had a list of all the theater that would be showing episode I in digital, Hawaii wasn't on the list, it's a good thing I checked here! Thanks bud.

8. JarJarIsBoba

Sep 24, 2000
    mac-nut, I went to the screen 12 7:00pm showing at Dole also.

It IS NOT digital projection. The tip off is is the "cigarette burns" on the top right-hand corner of the screeen. That's the signal that there's a changeover in the reels. And for some reason, there's this annoying white line that pops up for one frame in the movie. I saw AOTC on screen 8 in the midnight premiere and it had the same faults as screen 12.

The main difference between screen 8 & 12 is the larger screen in 12 and the BOOMING BASS in 12. However, it WAS a very good print of AOTC in both 8 and 12, aside from my complaints above.

I detected only two scenes of really harsh grain. One was a scene with Obi-Wan and a dark background early in the film (right before they rescue Padme from the Kouhouns). The other was Yoda in the room with the younglings. One shot had him against a dark background and it was very grainy. But other than these two minor faults, it was an almost perfect film print. Little or no dust.

So, my suggestion is see it in Screen 12 at Dole. And I really hope we do get DLP digital projection sometime soon.

9. JarJarIsBoba

Sep 24, 2000
    Ewaeagle,

I didn't think Hayden was THAT bad in his performance given the lines he had to pull off.

I thought he had the right amounts of whining to make him parallel Luke yet awkwardly trying to charm Padme with his one-liners like a bad Lando. Is young love corny? Yes! And that's what makes Hayden work as Anakin. It's by no means Academy Award-winning though.

My favorite Hayden scene is when he describes to Padme how he massacres the Tuskens. It's the right blend of anger, remorse and EVIL. And yet you feel sorry for him. To me, it's the definitive Anakin scene.

If you really want to see BAD acting, "Good Burger" is a good place to start... ;)

10. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    Digital.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 9:23 PM
    To: Shelly Roy
    Subject: Re: Star Wars Ep 2 AOTC

does that mean you are showing Star Wars in digital or regular film?

----- Original Message -----
    To:
    Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 1:33 PM
    Subject: RE: Star Wars Ep 2 AOTC

All screens are Dolby Digital.

-----Original Message-----
    To: info@sigcinema.com <mailto:info@sigcinema.com>
    Subject: Star Wars Ep 2 AOTC

Are any Dole Theaters digital for the digital AOTC Ep2 of Star Wars?

11. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    they lied to me ??? ?[face_plain] ?[face_plain] ?[face_plain]

12. jedisurfer

May 16, 2002
    ...Humm...Shelly Roy?..."clouded her information is"... "Trust her again I never will"..

A disapointed Jedi

13. JarJarIsBoba

Sep 24, 2000
    It just looks like they misunderstood what you were asking.

Try wording it like:

Is Episode II: Attack of the Clones going to be PROJECTED digitally?

I know Lucas this time around wouldn't let AOTC play in theaters without digital SOUND.

I definitely know Dolby only deals with sound. DLP is the technology that deals with digital projection.

14. kamty

kamty Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2002
    I believe JarJarisBoba is correct. Dolby deals with sound. But wait, I thought Dole was THX? That's the reason I'm gonna go there for AOTC this weekend. I was hoping to stay out of this area until after the movie so I could be spoiler free, but I was afraid I would miss something important. And we all know what fear leads to......

15. Yoda808

Yoda808 Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2002
    Yes, JarJarIsBoba is correct. It is one thing to have digital sound, it is another thing so project it in digital. As of right now, no theater in Hawaii has digital projection. Check out this url if you want to see for yourself where the digital theaters are: locations of digital theaters in the US

Oh, and JarJar, I think that graininess is common to all the AotC prints. At my midnight showing here on the mainland we had graininess in the same scenes. At first I just thought it was the reel that our theater had, but since you mentioned this as well then I guess it must be on a lot of prints too. That really sucks if it does.

16. kamty

kamty Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2002
    Graininess/flaws on every "non-digital" print? Is someone trying to tell theaters/consumers something? Hmmmm, the dark side clouds everything.

17. JarJarIsBoba

Sep 24, 2000
    But wait, I thought Dole was THX?

This is a common misconception. Dolby and DTS are sound decoders. In simpler terms, they separate the sound into several channels of surround sound.

THX is a technical standard of excellence. THX requires theaters to have digital sounds and to have particular settings for maximum sound quality. For example, it may require a certain kind of amplifier for the size of the theater. So, a theater has to undergo pretty rigorous tests and settings changes before it gets certification.

The Dole Cannery is the ONLY THX-certified theater in Hawaii. So, THX does affect the sound but is not the sound decoder. So, Dolby and THX can both exist in a theater.

The good thing about the THX standard is that a filmmaker can make a movie and know exactly how it's going to sound in the theater because of the standard specifications. So, for a Star Wars movie in a THX-certified theater, you're hearing it exactly as Ben Burtt and George Lucas intended it.

Again check out Screen 12 at Dole. The sound was just awesome. I could tell in the previews that the sound was awesome!

18. JarJarIsBoba

Sep 24, 2000
    Oh, and JarJar, I think that graininess is common to all the AotC prints. At my midnight showing here on the mainland we had graininess in the same scenes. At first I just thought it was the reel that our theater had, but since you mentioned this as well then I guess it must be on a lot of prints too. That really sucks if it does.

But what's funny is that not every dark background scene is grainy. Only two particular ones. Oh well...

Someday I'll get to see a movie in digital...

19. ikeshawngrl

ikeshawngrl Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002
    Hey everyone! I'm glad to have found this thread! Anyway I just saw AOTC again today. I went to the 12:35 showing(theater 12). I had finals this week so I couldn't watch AOTC until Fri. You guys don't know how itchy I was to say screw the finals and just go to the midnight showing. Anyway, like I said I saw it again today (Sat.)

I have to say it was awesome, IS awesome. I've been reading some of the threads on starwars.com and I can't believe how some of the fans actually feel that Natalie and Hayden's performances were lackluster. I defintely feel that they portrayed their characters consistently.

Many feel Natalie was too stiff, too wooden, too this too that, OMG, WTF. Oh well, she was just a measly ol' queen which requires the portrayal of a rigid bearing and even though she is now a senator, that still requires her to act with the same type of formal rigidity, but not as extreme. The subtle transition she was trying to depict, from that of a stiff, regal bearing to that of a woman slowly becoming less formal was evident. It took her emerging feelings for Anakin to melt her a little, and then in the ending you could see the transformation. Of course the fear of dying does that to a person!

Hayden's performance was also true to character. He had to portray a 20 year old frustrated padwan who had never encountered feelings of an adult nature like beening in love. Of course it appears that he had always loved Padme, but this time around his love is more of a mature type. Hayden did good. He definitely gave us glimpses of Darth Vader, with his Tusken rage.

Ok, let's see, I would have to say Yoda rocked!! LOL! I swear, he stole the show! LOL!

Ummm...I'll be back later. Nice to meet everyone! :D

20. kamty

kamty Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2002
    Aahhh, I understand finally. Thanks for clearing up the THX thing for me JarJarisBoba! Well I saw AOTC last night at the 7PM showing at Dole. It was AWESOME! Well except for the love scenes, but I understand why they put it in there. AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME. Get this. It was very empty at the 7 showing, but when we came out guess who we saw! We saw Darth Vader, 2 stormtroopers, an Imperial Guard and a TIE Fighter pilot! My Bro dressed as ObiWan and I as Luke from ROTJ, so we got pictures of them with us! It was just toooooo cool. One Stormtrooper told me they were a part of the Fighting 501st! Now that made it way cooler! One of the Dole Managers(I think he was a manager) told us to go with the others to a theater to wave and greet people going to see AOTC. It made me wish I had a mask like the others, but I was honored to be asked to represent Star Wars that way! I will cherish that memory for the rest of my life! Thanks George Lucas.

21. JarJarIsBoba

Sep 24, 2000
    Hey everyone! I'm glad to have found this thread!

Hi ikeshawngrl! Glad to meet you. I hope you post here regularly.

I have to say it was awesome, IS awesome. I've been reading some of the threads on starwars.com and I can't believe how some of the fans actually feel that Natalie and Hayden's performances were lackluster. I defintely feel that they portrayed their characters consistently.

Everyone thinks they're a critic. So, they use words like "stiff" and "wooden" because that's what all the negative reviews have been saying.

To reiterate someone on this board...the ONLY review that matters most is your own... ;)

We saw Darth Vader, 2 stormtroopers, an Imperial Guard and a TIE Fighter pilot! My Bro dressed as ObiWan and I as Luke from ROTJ, so we got pictures of them with us! It was just toooooo cool. One Stormtrooper told me they were a part of the Fighting 501st! Now that made it way cooler!

Hey! That is so cool! I don't dress up myself but I like it when others dress up. And I'm glad the Dole people asked you to be a part of the promotion of greeting people and waving to them! It makes it feel more personal and like a family... I know Toy'R'Us did that with the people who dress up. It makes you feel like you're doing something to help promote your favorite movie! And wasn't the bass BOOMING in screen 12? ;)

22. ikeshawngrl

ikeshawngrl Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002
    Hi JarJarisBoba! Nice to meet you. :) I'm just glad I found some Hawaii fans!

23. JarJarIsBoba

Sep 24, 2000
    Yeah me too. I hope there will be more people since the movie came out.

ikeshawngrl...you can post here and post often. :)

24. kamty

kamty Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2002
    JarJarisBoba, the only thing that kicked more than the bass on scrn 12 was Yoda!

25. Kmunee

Kmunee Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2001
    I have seen the movie twice and I think it was awesome. Their were a couple of slow parts, but it was needed to effectively tell the story. The fight scenes were the best I have seen in any scifi movie. The only thing I didn't like was how "Darth Mauled" Jango Fett. When I saw the preveiws for the movie I just knew hew was going to be a C.B.A. (certified bad ass). He died to quickly, even though he put up a good fight. Outside of that, AotC was worth the wait and I can't wait to see what happens in episode III.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.