main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC/ROTS Complete Scores **Official Thread**

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by jedi_master_ousley, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    This time, it's being upped because there is news...

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    And the news from Celebration 5 was that a "full soundtrack for the saga" is under consideration and would be timed with the release of the movies on blu-ray.

So this is our best shot folks. Could it happen? Will they fix the audio problems with ROTJ and give us the rest of that score? Have they located the missing piece by Joseph Williams in the past 13 years? Will we finally be able to dump our Ultimate Editions for a complete score of TPM..and AOTC and ROTS?!?

We'll have to keep our eyes open in the next several months to see if the project begins. However my opinion is that if they can't do it right this time, I don't want them to do anything. Nobody wants a box set including the Ultimate Edition, the OST's of AOTC and ROTS, and re-releases of the OT Special Editions.

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I agree with your last paragraph. Not sure about the other stuff you mentioned...

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Agreed as well. There should not be a box set release of the current soundtracks for the films. However, knowing LucasFilm, they probably will at some point to drive up sales. Also, this release of the complete soundtracks may never occur, as many of these projects end up on the chopping block, but it's certainly a tantalizing prospect to have the complete soundtracks for at least some of the films, if not all at some point.

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Unlock & Bump!

Wow... eight years and still nothing. :(

6. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    With just a few months left until the blu-ray release and no announcement about the scores, I'm of the belief now that we're not getting anything.

7. SidoDyas

SidoDyas Jedi Master star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    Thanks for unlocking the thread! None of the PT scores have been given a release like the special editions of the OT scores. In the case of TPM, we have actually been waiting twelve years! I did not get into the scores right away, so it has only been a ten year wait for me (so far).

Beyond just the complete scores on CD (which is enough to satisfy), I would love to see a release with DVDs of the all of the music in high quality, like the quality in "A Music Journey". Perhaps even hours of unreleased footage of the recording sessions could be included.

It would be also cool if someone would collaborate with Williams to write a companion book about the scores. It would be great to hear facts about the creation as well as Williams describing all of the different themes and motifs that are heard. We got some of that with a couple of the OT releases except there was not much from the composer himself.

But again, that is just icing on the cake. I would be happy if Lucasfilm decided to just take the complete score promo copies they have and put them on iTunes. In fact, we would get some interesting alternate cues that way. :)

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Stop being impatient. It took from 1983 to 1997 for us to get full scores for the OT; that's still 6 years ahead of the current wait for full scores of the prequels. Which can be found in certain areas of the web anyway.

9. SidoDyas

Mar 19, 2002
    If they wait the same amount of time as they did with the OT, we actually would not get the complete scores until 2019, so we could be in for a long wait. I will point out though that the OT scores involved quite a bit of restoration work for both the 1993 and 1997 sets. The PT scores do not need as much work. IIRC the album mixes for all of the cues were prepared digitally before cutting them into the current soundtrack releases.

I am not impatient, I am just cautiously optimistic like some others surely are. I am actually not holding high hopes that anything will be released within the next few years. However, I am expressing support for the releases right now because we are approaching a good time in the world of SW for these them to happen.

I am aware that there are cues of varied quality floating around the web. There is still much that is missing too. I personally would like to see a good legal release before the SW films and JW's music are distant history.

10. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Doug Adams, author of The Music of the Lord of the Rings, hinted at a Star Wars project in the works.

11. SidoDyas

Mar 19, 2002
    Yea, I saw that. If I recall correctly, it has been a year since he hinted at it, but hopefully it is happening as it would be pretty cool!

I have not seen his other work such as the LOTR book. Does he normally work with the composer (when possible) to learn the thoughts behind the compositions, or does he just give his own interpretation of what a motif might represent? I ask that because outside of the returning OT themes and the well known new themes (like DOTF and the love theme), Williams has given little to no mention of the themes and motifs he created for the PT.

While I have been able to point some of them out in some places after countless listens, it is still hard to really pin down the connections of some of the motifs in the scores. Only John Williams (or at least his notes from the time) can really tell us what all of the themes are and some of the places they are used.

This may seem picky to most people, but it is something that interests me. Either way, I would assume Adams would have access to all of the sheet music and recordings so he could tell us about any unrecorded alternates and many other great tidbits. I hope it happens. :)

12. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    I would really love for the ultimate edition of RotS and AoTC

there used to be a YT channel which had the complete score of RoTS, but I went today and saw that the account had been banned due to copyright issues... The account had been up for years... :/

Anyone else though have issues with the TPM one? The second disc has some tracks with static bursts - tried two different Copies too :/

13. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Since TPM will get a theatrical 3D release in February, wouldn't it be logical for Lucasfilm to go ahead and re-release the complete Soundtrack, or a modification of it?

Seems like the best opportunity to release a complete score each year till 2017.
    LFL should just go ahead and give the keys to their audio archives to LaLaLand Records. That would be a dream come true.

14. Fishmanlee

Fishmanlee Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 17, 2010
    Listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6zHlLV5ByY

and to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4f8A3VtQww&feature=related

15. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    I have been visiting this thread for YEARS and still nothing. It grinds one's gears, lol

16. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    The latest news is that the Phantom Menace 3D release will be accompanied by a new edition of the original soundtrack with one bonus track: "Duel of the Fates (Dialogue Version)." You know, that track that everybody wanted so badly.

[image=http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8087/starwarsi3d.jpg]

17. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm guessing they mean the audio from the music video? I could swear that's seen a release.

18. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    I think it's on the EP I Ultimate Edition soundtrack.

19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I think so too.

20. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Still hoping for those Complete Soundtracks to come out.

21. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Well... E-Mail from Amazon showed they are rereleasing the Ep I Ultimate Soundtrack...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007508U82/ref=pe_172801_29160481_nrn_image

There may be hope yet...

22. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Thanks for reminding me to check my Amazon orders today, Daft-Vader. :p

FWIW, complete scores for films being released is pretty rare; there are of course the promo versions that the Oscar people who judge scores get, but those don't typically get released.

23. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Re-releasing? I didn't think the regular release was that long ago. :p

24. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    13 years is roughly half the life of a significant portion of the boards. So yes, that's a long time ago. :p

OTOH, we are swiftly nearing the same fourteen-years-later date for the release of the OTSE scores. So maybe there is hope.

That being said...is this not the most tenacious thread ever, or what? 20 pages over like twelve years. :p

25. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    No, I thought Daft had mentioned the Ultimate Soundtrack, which was released last year. If you meant the regular score that was released, then I kinda blew it. :p

Yes, this is definitely a high-energy thread. [face_party]