main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC/ROTS Complete Scores **Official Thread**

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by jedi_master_ousley, Mar 8, 2003.

1. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    but they're so cheap, they don't even pass on the message to John Williams to produce a superior 2-disc-set that matches those ones.

PPOR. I am sick of unsupported allegations about how things are run!

2. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    From the Ultimate Edition soundtrack cover...
    "Album Produced by John Williams".

From JWfan.net article Williams might not score 'Harry Potter 3' Jan 29, 2003

"He basically admitted that he was responsible for that "ultimate edition" of TPM soundtrack. He said some fans didn't want a thought out and rounded off representation of the score's highlights, and they had to have every note. He thought most cues were too boring to be heard on its own, since they were designed for certain aesthetic/transitional moments. So he did sign off for this, adding the music taken directly off the film itself. (So y'all can stop blaming Sony!)"

This proof is that Sony mistook what people said in the petitions that they wanted the score presented exactly as it was in the film. Williams was given that message and did what he was told. Then the reception for the CD was mixed.

I don't care what anyone says, the Ultimate Edition is an inferior product compared to the Original Trilogy Special Editions. Like I said, there's nothing worse than tracks overlapping... *ugghh*! Not much thought went into that one. Williams may be responsible but it's a horrible representation of his work.

"PPOR. I am sick of unsupported allegations about how things are run!"

Um, no. I have support.

3. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    if you had read the quote I had posted above my PPOR, you would see that what I was contesting was what your new post proved... that Williams did know about it and gave his approval. I actually had this article in mind when I asked for proof, because I remembered reading about his involvement in releasing the UE.

As to its value...well, that is a matter of taste.

4. MasterObi-Wan-Kenobi

MasterObi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 6, 2002
    I am also waiting for the AOTC EU because the music was better than TPM EU, which I completly analysed for all the 31 different instruments.

At this moment, I am scoring Across the Stars for my own orchestra, so I would be very happy to hear all the different versions of ATC, because I am going to make it a bit longer than the original.

And I offcourse love the rest of the music, but i did not hear anything about it.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    ONE more time... maybe it will sink in this time. We had to wait 20 YEARS to get anywhere close to the full score for ANH and 14 years for ROTJ. SO WHAT if you got a FLAWED release of the complete score for TPM. You got SOMETHING!!! And you only had to wait freakin 18 MONTHS!!! You are looking a gift horse in the mouth here. I would never dream of saying that the TPM UE is as good as the SE releases of the first three films... but when you wait 14+ years for something, they BETTER be quality.

If 2013 passes without a better release of the TPM complete score, then I will join in the whining and complaining. Until then, I don't feel sorry for you.

6. Emperor's Prize

Emperor's Prize Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 1999
    If we do get an AOTC: UE does that mean we'll also get all of the old, recycled TPM music used in AOTC on the same album? Don't get me wrong, I like TPM music and much of AOTC, but having to listen to the same recordings on BOTH UEs? (Yes, please pass the cheese ;) )

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Nah I think they should just leave the TPM stuff off....

8. CopernicusDent

CopernicusDent Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    "Nah I think they should just leave the TPM stuff off...."

Because of all the tracked-on ruckus, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that the new album would have no Menace cues in it.

9. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    well, if the UE is in the same style as TPM, then I would definately want those cues. Especially becuase they fall in the middle of other themes and recordings, and many of the "recycled" cues never made it into TPM.

10. Jack-D-Ripper

Jack-D-Ripper Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 21, 2002
    I don't care what anyone says, the Ultimate Edition is an inferior product compared to the Original Trilogy Special Editions. Like I said, there's nothing worse than tracks overlapping... *ugghh*! Not much thought went into that one. Williams may be responsible but it's a horrible representation of his work.

You're absolutely right. I don't know what they possibly could have done about it though. Maybe they should have taken the film and looked at how the music appeared chronlogically. Then, instead of chopping up the score in the same way it was chopped up for the movie, they should have simply put the entire cue on, not taking into account where it may have been cut for the film. then they could have simply left out the bits the film repeated. Sure, it might not have been exactly the way the music was in the film, but it would have been very interesting to hear unedited tracks. The Star Wars SE CD's do this a little, not much though because the music wasn't chopped up much in the OT.

-JDR.

11. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    so you would have had TPM OST but with a few extra tracks. That has less selling power than the UE...

but if this discussion is just going to turn into a UE bashing session like about 30 other threads exactly like this, than I am officially removed from it.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes good point, Tenor. Let's get back on topic shall we?

13. Pfft

Pfft Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2003
    I LOVE the music from Dex's Diner and the music heard in the cut Naboo scenes from AotC.

I can't wait for the complete AotC score.

I am also very eagar to hear how the original TPM score was written and scored. Hopefully, someone, oneday, will release the complete 3+hrs of music for AotC too. :D

14. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    yeah, there are so many cues that I would love to have. I think the two I am most looking forward to is the scene of Anakin and Palps in his office, as well as the funeral scene... There is just so much in those cues, and they work so wonderfully!

15. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I agree that the OT: SE editions are absolute masterpieces. But, I would rather have a complete score with all the music from the film than not have one.

16. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    "But, I would rather have a complete score with all the music from the film than not have one."

Oh, absolutely! Though, let's hope that we don't get the dvd edit of the confession scene.

17. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    They really didn't do a decent job with the AOTC Soundtrack CD. More than half of the movie's music wasn't even in there. Of course, you can find some more of it in TPM soundtrack. I hope they come out with a deluxe edition of the soundtrack soon.

18. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    yeah, but I think that this was intentional. They did the same for TPM... they kept some of the music that is scene specific for appeal when they release a 2 disc set (i.e. anakin says goodbye...my fav. music from TPM, but had to wait to get it. Same thing with the funeral scene in AOTC)

anywho, I think that the OST release had a decent selection for a single CD sampling...we got all the major new material, as well as a big chunk of plot sections (i.e. meadow, etc.)

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The entire Return to Tatooine track and the entire Bringing Mother Home track (grossly mislabeled on the CD) are both exactly as they appear on screen. Both are amazing and some of the best score material in the entire film. Also we got Yoda and the Younglings as is in the film, Jango's Escape and a good edit of the Coruscant Chase music. All in all I'd say AOTC has the best OST release of any SW film ever.

20. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Well, I'd definitely say the AOTC OS is superior to TPM and ROTJ. The ANH and ESB OS releases were double albums, and fairly complete -- ESB probably more so. Now, of course you can argue about the editing on those releases.

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That's exactly my point. AOTC seems to have the least amount of chop-it-up-and-edit-it-together-out-of-order of any Star Wars OST release. And by the way, don't forget that the original double album release of the ANH OST, minus the Cantina Band track, fit on ONE CD for the Anthology release. So it was no more complete than AOTC is.

22. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    "The entire Return to Tatooine track and the entire Bringing Mother Home track (grossly mislabeled on the CD) are both exactly as they appear on screen."

Almost.

The scene where 3PO was recognizing Ani was slightly cut down. FYI.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    OK good nit pick. Hopefully you did not miss my overall point.

24. Yoda_GroundRunner

Yoda_GroundRunner Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2001
    Do any of you guys know if there will be a trach w/dialogue? (Similar to DoTF on TPM)

I really like DoTF w/dialogue... just hoping there will be one out there for AOTC.

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Nobody knows anything about a UE release for AOTC. We don't even know if it will happen. Of course, there was no dialogue version of any track from AOTC that I am aware of, as there was for TPM.