main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC/ROTS Complete Scores **Official Thread**

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by jedi_master_ousley, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I hope you folks aren't talking about an AOTC UE which includes the tracked and edited TPM music as well. No way would I buy a version of the AOTC score like that and neither should you.

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    However it was in the film, that's how I'd like it on a soundtrack. TPM cues and all.

Otherwise, you might as well whip out the Imperial March from ROTJ just because it was in ESB.

3. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    Otherwise, you might as well whip out the Imperial March from ROTJ just because it was in ESB.

That's not comparable at all to having music composed and performed for an entirely different film put into a new one. Plus the fact that the music from TPM that was used in AOTC was edited like crazy and barely flows like actual music anymore.

4. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    However it was in the film, that's how I'd like it on a soundtrack. TPM cues and all.

Interesting; so let's say Lucas replaces every single battle cue in RotS with "Duel of the Fates" (TPM recording). Is that what you want on the soundtrack album?

5. Regan21286

Regan21286 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    All I'd like is to just have any music from AOTC that wasn't in the soundtrack to be in a hopeful Ultimate Edition. TPM cues, whatever. Just anything.

6. Mystic_Warrior_Queen

Mystic_Warrior_Queen Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2005
    Does anyone know if they ever made a special edition of Star Wars Episode 2 soundtrack?
    they made one for Episode 1 why not ep. 2?

7. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    They're waiting, most likely. It'd probably be a bad idea to release it now, what with the Episode III Marketing. Too distracting from their main goal. I'd expect themto make one, no matter what they've said, in the next couple years. I also expect Lucas to go back and tweak the movies, and will probably re-edit the music.

Though, it is a little confusing. On the one hand, Lucas has said that AOTC is the only film to turn out exactly how he wanted it to. On the other hand, didn't they run out of time, what with Lucas constantly re-editing, so he had to re-use the music?

8. Neil_S_Bulk

Neil_S_Bulk Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003

If you want that so bad, please spend 5 minutes cutting apart your TPM album and just let the rest of us ask for a quality release that is actually listenable and shows off John Williams's mastery for writing symphonic music.

Neil

9. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    Well, that's the difference between us. I like the music how it appears in the movies, and I probably wouldn't enjoy it all molded together to create some orchestra piece. I mean, it'd sound good, but a soundtrack isn't supposed to be new music, it's supposed to appear as it is in movies. THat's the whole point.

10. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    I mean, it'd sound good, but a soundtrack isn't supposed to be new music, it's supposed to appear as it is in movies.

I completely disagree. The composer has a right to have his/her music heard the way it was originally intended, and not the way in which a music editor decided to chop it up into unlistenable garbage for the final cut of the film.

And, by the way, I'm not talking about having the music re-edited into concert suites the way it is done on the single disc albums of the SW scores. I want it to be like the RCA 2-disc special editions where the music is heard in its entirety and in chronological order acccording to the film.

A soundtrack album should represent a complete and well-rounded listening experience of the music for its corresponding film and John Williams' music especially deserves to be heard this way.

11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes, but I think what Vaderbait is saying is simply that he wants to hear the music the way it is in the films. I'm torn on this one. I'd like a complete soundtrack to be, as all the others have been so far, a complete chronological set of the music in the films. This way when you listen to it, it coincides completely with what we know from on-screen.

But I'm also curious about the music that was written and never used. There are several such bonus tracks in the OT sets. Why can't there be something similar done for this theoretical set?

-sj loves kevin spacey

12. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    The difference is that some people view a release of the music as a soundtrack, and some choose to view it more as an original score. The soundtrack will always exist in the film. I'd like to hear what Mr. Williams wrote.

Would a TPM UE type of release be better than the current release? Sure. But if we want an AOTC complete score, shouldn't we still nonetheless aim higher?

13. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Well, that's the difference between us. I like the music how it appears in the movies, and I probably wouldn't enjoy it all molded together to create some orchestra piece. I mean, it'd sound good, but a soundtrack isn't supposed to be new music, it's supposed to appear as it is in movies. THat's the whole point.

All right, do you need a more drastic example? Let's say that for RotS, Lucas plays "Duel of the Fates" NONSTOP THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE FILM. I know this would never happen, but it's for argument's sake, all right? Now, let's say there are two simultaneous soundtrack releases. One is a 70-minute album compiled by Williams. It is for the most part unedited. The other is "Duel of the Fates," nonstop, for 70 minutes. Which one do you buy?

14. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    But I'm also curious about the music that was written and never used. There are several such bonus tracks in the OT sets. Why can't there be something similar done for this theoretical set?

Exactly. I'm not against hearing all of his wonderful music, but the whole reason I want a soundtrack is b ecause it sounded good in the film, you know?

15. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    Vaderbait, I guess that's the difference between you and me. I didn't like the presentation of the music in the film and want to hear how JW originally intended it to be heard.

16. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Exactly. I'm not against hearing all of his wonderful music, but the whole reason I want a soundtrack is because it sounded good in the film, you know?

So, when you listen to a soundtrack, you derive happiness from the images and sounds that accompany it, not the music itself?

17. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    So, when you listen to a soundtrack, you derive happiness from the images and sounds that accompany it, not the music itself?

To me, the music drives the film, any film. So no, I just happen to like the break-neck pace that the action music in TPM was running at, and the majority of the themes were strong, complete pieces. You don't feel that a swelling in the music during a powerful scene carries over to when you're just listening to the soundtrack?

18. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Just to interject... frequently I don't associate scenes with tracks. Probably because I could never hear the much of the music in the films before I got the soundtracks, and so started listening to them as complete pieces unto themselves.

If you listen to the ESB score like this, it's a masterpiece...

19. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    To me, the music drives the film, any film. So no, I just happen to like the break-neck pace that the action music in TPM was running at, and the majority of the themes were strong, complete pieces. You don't feel that a swelling in the music during a powerful scene carries over to when you're just listening to the soundtrack?

You need to reexamine TPM's music. If you had even a rough cut of the original structure of, say, the Battle of Naboo, you'd realize how superior it was to the edited mess that ended up in the film.

20. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    You need to reexamine TPM's music. If you had even a rough cut of the original structure of, say, the Battle of Naboo, you'd realize how superior it was to the edited mess that ended up in the film.

That may be, but since I don't have a cut, and I happen to l ike the music in the film and on the UE, I can't complain, can I?

21. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Ignorance is bliss, I guess...

But you can get a rough cut of the battle. Easily. Go to this site:

http://www.geocities.com/elvisjones2000

There, you can download lo-fi MP3s of this fellow's Battle of Naboo cut. Going by recording session reports, interviews, game arrangements, etc., it's pretty close to what John Williams wrote and recorded.

22. Neil_S_Bulk

Neil_S_Bulk Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    I trust the composers music writing sensibilities over the editor and directors man handling of the music to fit a constantly changing edit of a movie. A "UE" style presentation of the AOTC would be a nightmare because of all of the editing that occured after Williams wrote and recorded his score.

Neil

23. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Cerrabore, thanks for the links!

I think I've been there before, but it's been a long time. And yeah, those sound great.

24. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    When/if JW has recorded new battle music for the 2007 3D version of AOTC, I'll want the complete soundtrack for this film on CD. Let's see what happens in the future.

The possibilities are endless
    /LM

25. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    The difference is that some people view a release of the music as a soundtrack, and some choose to view it more as an original score. The soundtrack will always exist in the film. I'd like to hear what Mr. Williams wrote.

So would I, but I think it's more important to release the soundtrack as heard in the movie. THAT is what I fell in love with, the energy, the excitement. Let's face it. Go listen to the last half hour of the TPM UE, and then go listen to the OST. The OST is not nearly as thrilling because whenever it picks up momentum, it stops because it's more like an opera.