main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC AOTC Spoiler Containment / Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Rani Veko, May 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm stealing an idea that Phoenix FanForce did on their boards, and starting a AOTC discussion thread here. Let's limit AOTC talk to this thread only, until more people have had the opportunity to see the film!

WARNING: If you haven't seen AOTC yet and want to be spoiler free, stop reading now!

...That said, I really was thrilled with AOTC. It was so politically complex, and I could go on for hours analyzing Anakin's leanings towards the Dark Side even before the Tusken Raider incident on tatooine.

Was it me, or did Anakin actually compel both the changling assassin and Watto? Not a mind trick, but a far more powerful command to do his bidding (reveal who hired the assassin, tell him where his mother was)?

The speeder chase, the clone/droid battle, and the duel between Dooku and Anakin/Obi-Wan/Yoda were out of this world!

The only complaint I had about the movie was the romantic dialogue. Anakin just can't pull off angsty and poetic sweet nothings.

I really loved the line-up yesterday, and it was a distinct pleasure to share that with both old and new friends. It was my first Star Wars line-up, for all that I saw the original Star Wars in the theatres 25 years ago, and I'll remember May 15th with as much happiness as May 16th. Thanks for making it special.

- Rani

2. Sionnach_Dearg

Sionnach_Dearg Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2002
    Can't say much yet, I was dreaming something about it in my few hours of sleep this morning, but it's not coherent enough yet, I'll post something fuller after I get back from work, but I agree, it was a great time.

BTW, this is Claire

3. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    It was good, wasn't it! :) And Rani, you're so right, the line-up was awesome! (especially after I got loaned that cloak: I was getting cold!) The line-up was a real experience, and I'm glad we got the chance to do it, even with the clusterf*** of communicating with the theatres.

The people we ended up hanging with were very cool. I am really looking forward to meeting up with dedicated folk like Dale and Karen and TJ again! (See thread for newcomers in this forum... :) ) It was also great to hang with the group all at once.

In the film, I definitely enjoyed the 'sabre battles: not only between all the Jedi and the droids, but also between Jango and Obi-Wan. That whole Camino rain fight was phenomenal: hard-hitting and very physical, but with flashes of humour too. The non-CG enhanced fight scenes were all very good.

I also especially enjoyed the scene with the young Jedi Initiates or Padawans: it was adorable to see Yoda ribbing Obi-Wan that was.

For all the flaws of TPM, Lucas fully redeemed himself in my eyes by making Jar-Jar the unwitting tool ultimately responsible for the Emperor's rise to true power. :)

I found the encouragement of Anakin by Palpatine to be heavily laden with nasty overtones: that was good. Ian MacDiarmid is a brilliant actor.

Anakin's overly honeyed dialogue with Padme rang wrong to me, and the "Hills are alive" scene was way too much. I almost expected to hear overtones of Princess Fiona's song to the bluebirds (from Shrek) in the music.

The music!! there were some wonderful standouts in the music: the Geonosis approach was strong and dramatic, and the emphasis placed on the romantic theme, which was then cut short when Padme ended the first kiss: that was fabulous!

There were many nuances and small details I know I missed, just like TPM, so I'm really looking forward to taking my eldest to see it this weekend! Hope some others can join us!

*Derisa*

4. CarbonatedGoat

CarbonatedGoat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    I'm gonna make this post kinda short.

I loved the movie. Almost as good as Empire... But I was a lot more interested in the Obi-Wan storyline than the Anakin one. Except for the Tuskin scene. That was good.

Of course, who didn't love all the in-jokes:

"Why do I get the feeling you're going to be the death of me?" was a good one, and:

"Do you wanna buy some death-sticks?"
    "You don't want to sell me death-sticks."
    "I dun wanna sell you death-sticks."
    "You want to go home and rethink your life."
    "I wanna go home and rethink my life."

was another good one. I know there were others. Help me out?

Did anyone else catch how in that one scene on Tatooine, when Anakin's shadow is cast on the Lars homestead building, in profile, it looks kind of like Vader's helmet, with the pony-tail making the back rim?

I didn't even mention it to anyone during the second viewing of it (which is when -I- noticed it) and I heard three other people comment on it.

Yeah. Went on a bit longer than I thought. Oh well.

Okay. One more question:

Views on Yoda's fight scene:

He's hobbling in on his cane, then whips out the Kung-Fu Powers and goes flying all over the place. Then, at the end, hobbles again... Channelling the Force throughout the fight, or is the hobbling just an act? Thoughts?

And one more thing - When 900 years old -YOU- reach, kick that much ass you will not!

5. CarbonatedGoat

CarbonatedGoat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    Another thing: Can anyone confirm the rumor I heard that Sam Jackson engraved "BMF" on his lightsaber?

I heard he did that, like he did with his gun in Pulp Fiction - Hand me my lightsaber... and all that.

6. JangoRIP

JangoRIP Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2002
    All i want to know is why jangos head didnt fall out of the helm when boba picked it up... and iam very dissapointed in the way lucas had jango die he must injoy having the fetts die very wierd but i still injoyed the movie.

7. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    The reason why it never fell out when he (Boba) picked it up is because...it had already fallen out!

Go watch the movie again. You can clearly make out a "shadow" of a head rolling along with the helmet.

*Plus if the head had of fallen out, the rating on the movie would have jumped up.

8. obi-wan_kurtnobi

obi-wan_kurtnobi Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2002
    Well now since I'm out here here I may as well reply as well as post. I thought AOTC was a breakthrough film in the new trilogy not onlywas I riveted to the screen(4 times now.) but it made me feel a lot better about menace.

I particularly enjoyed seeing the Supreme Chancelor's political manipulation if not out nad out lying.Not to metion Anakin's clearly evil leanings right form the start with his blatent disregard for his amsters athority right up to his decapitation of more than one tusken raider. Even his none too subtle political musings to Amidala are dark shadows pointing the path to the future.

All in all another brilant piece of film making in already impossibly impressive story.

kurt

9. JediBanana

JediBanana Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2002
    First of all, the movie kicked ass!!! A big improvement over Episode One, no more annoying Binks. Remember the spoiliage of having Nsync appearing as Jedi Knights, but Lucas opted out in respect to us fans. Well my friend, God bless him for introducing me to the Star Wars universe, told me that he saw two members of NSync making an appearance. He says that they were the guys; who threw ObiWan and Anakin their 'sabers when they were on the reek. I downloaded the full movie from Kazaa and had a look, they don't even come close to looking like any of the bandmembers. What do you guys think?

10. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    JediBanana - well, first off - hi again. :) Secondly....I've not seen it either, myself (only seen AOTC three times thus far, no thanks to the frickin' Odeon who brutally and callously yanked it, without warning, back in July....and, yes, I'm still damn well ****** *** about that!) - so I think it may very well be one of these self-perpetuating rumours....you know, one person blurts it out as unconfirmed gossip and then everyone else jumps on the bandwagon and soon enough it's taken on a life of its own....and all the while no one actually stops to think, much less seriously *look*, to determine whether it's actually true. In this case, it's not true either....it's just - not there to see. Period. :)

Still, your mention of Kazaa....um, eeek. The only reason I cringe at that is, well....I have this thing about anything bootleggish. I remember when some people I knew had a bootleg TPM tape and were playing it just down the hall from me at one point - inwardly I was almost physically, violently ill with it. I never could stand the thought of such a thing....as an artiste myself, a creator - I never could get used to it. In any shape, any form, it doth rankle in me deeply. And - well, I don't mean to make this my little soapbox, natch, but the fact is, well....to me....bootlegging = baaaaaaa-aaa-aaad! :) *imagine mimicking the bleating of a goat or sheep there and you've got it precisely :D *

Here's a positively fantabulous thread elsewhere on the TF.n boards, though, that I've recently become quite deeply involved in and that I think is *definitely* worthwhile to check out in any case.... (I seriously think I'm gonna print out the whole damn thing as a kind of testimonial, proof positive if you will, and once you see it for yourself and you'll know exactly why) It's over on the AOTC board, the thread I believe is entitled "Five great scenes directed by George Lucas"....last time I checked, earlier this evening as a matter of fact, the thread was up to some 24 pages and still goin' fast and strong. Check this one out in any case, and like me....you shall be even more awestruck, and delighted, and, well, for me at least - I experienced a real sense of coming home there. *Truly* comfy and welcoming surroundings, I must say! :)

Dawn.

11. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    I have to agree there, Banana, AOTC was much better than TPM, by a long shot! I can't say for sure about the rumoured existance of the NSync boys in the film, but I certainly do hear that rumour often for something that Lucas himself promised the fans wouldn't be happening in the first place (gee, thanks George!).

I totally agree with Kurt there, too, that throughout the movie we get to see just how far Anakin is already on the path to the Dark Side long before his mother's kidnapping and Padme's love become a serious complication to him staying on the Light Side. The fact that he's been receiving guidance from Palpatine all along, his political leanings towards believing a dictatorship is the best for all, his challenging Obi-Wan's authority, especially in front of others, and his total arrogance all show that Obi-Wan and the Council have already started losing control over their Chosen One long before he tries to destroy them.

As for N'Sync being in the movie...well, at least I didn't have to listen to them sing. :)

- Rani

12. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Oh, wonderful....sounds like people are back to bashing one film to praise another....tearing down one thing to claim the merits of another. To be honest, this was a tactic I had tired of when it was newly-seen. I have never felt it at all necessary or justified....it does sting, rather badly, I do find. However, here are some discussion threads that, I have found from fortunate personal experience, are a true, positive, encouraging safe haven full of deep, thoughtful, welcoming and the *most* positive discussion imaginable. They have certainly proved to be of the *greatest* help and encouragement in the world to me....I can only hope that they'd do the same for someone else. Now, then....here are the threads, as follows: (with full credit given to the author of each thread)

AOTC Threads:

1. **Official** Love Story discussion thread. (started by Darth Dark Helmet) 2. Anakin's profoundly human frailty. (started by Darthkarma) 3. Five Great Scenes directed by George Lucas. (started by Darthkarma)

TPM Threads:

1. The Phantom Menace is my favorite Star Wars Film! Anyone agree? (cue cricket noise). (started by hopewell) 2. The Heroes Journey in TPM; who was the hero? (started by yodaschum) 3. The Gusher's Supplemental to the Basher's Sanctuary. (started by Go-Mer-Tonic)

As far as safe havens go, really kindling that feeling of coming-home, of being exactly where I belong - these threads absolutely have it, they're all that I do need and they are of the most tremendous help and positive, encouraging influence....and then some. Who knows, hopefully someone else may feel the same....in which case, I'll know that I've done a good thing here. Which I do already feel....

Dawn.

13. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm sorry you seem to be taking my opinion somewhat personally, Qui-Dawn. I'm unsure why my saying "I thought AOTC was better than TPM by a long shot", (please note, the only reference I made to TPM in my entire post) should be something that "stings" you personally. My criticism is directed at the director, not you, and George Lucas, being a mere mortal like the rest of us, is not above criticism. :)

Again, I'm sorry if I've somehow offended you with my personal opinion. I just happened to agree with Kurt's and Banana's opinions, and I'm sure they weren't trying to offend you either. :)

- Rani

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.