main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC the Most Disappointing Movie of the Summer?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    If this doesn't belong by all means lock it :)

Read this article from TFN:

TVGuide.com is running a poll asking "So far this summer, which movie was the most disappointing?". Unbelievably, AOTC is ahead of that masterpiece of film-making, Scooby Doo. You can take part in the poll by clicking here. Thanks to Stephen for the alert.

Personally, I would like to know who is actually voting at these polls? When AOTC is losing to Scooby-Doo in any way, shape, or form, something is seriously wrong [face_plain]

ST

2. Meatypants

Meatypants Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Oh come on! The dissappointment of the summer is Spider-man, plain and simple. It makes me hate the character that I've loved for two decades.

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Out of all those movies, I think AOTC and Spider-Man are the only two I saw. However, my parents went to see Scooby-Doo last night. The guy behind the ticket counter told them that it was a bad film and a waste of money, and that they should see something else. The only other time I ever heard of that happening (theater employees saying that a movie is bad) was when Coyote Ugly came out.

4. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Dude, in less than an hour I'm sure that a "basher" is going to serve up an answer to your question which will be quite... undigestable. All of these threads start out like this, ask and you will receive. :(

Unrealistic expectations I suppose, that is what screwed TPM for many people. Another thing.. why do they have a picture of Yoda by that poll? Seems to me like they are trying to influence the outcome of the poll. :(

5. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    If this is true and the general public in fact does dislike AOTC as much as this poll indicates, then our society is sad.

Sure its just a movie, but something like this just indicates the state of mind of people's tastes and such.

People like Scooby Doo better than AOTC? Oh my god. What a pathetic country we live in.

6. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    When AOTC is losing to Scooby-Doo in any way, shape, or form, something is seriously wrong.

I couldn't agree more. This is insane. The people voting must hate all things SW.

7. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    If anything, the picture of Yoda should get people to vote for a different movie. I think that the majority of the people enjoyed the Yoda fight scene. If the vote is that bad with a Yoda picture, just imagine how bad the vote would be if it had a picture of Anakin and Padme from the love scenes.

8. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    This is incredible! How could people with such discerning taste as readers of TV Guide think such a thing? **rolls eyes**

9. Zanath

Zanath Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2002
    How in the name of all things holy is AOTC loosing to Scooby-Doo? Just by seeing the previews I know it will stink! Talk about doo-doo :)

10. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    rsterling: [face_laugh] my thoughts exactly.

11. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I'm shocked by the results of this poll so far. There's no way AOTC was a big disappointment.

12. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    So have we all made sure to visist the link and vote for Scooby-Doo? I am sure that we can turn this thing around if we get enough people to stuff the ballots. We've done it before. :D

:cool: Mace Windy,
    colors submitted by the link master, yodajeff!

13. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    If they were disappointed it was their own damn fault :p
    They saw TPM and hated it. Well, this was it's sequel, what were they expecting?
    You can only be disappointed if you had high expectations in the first place.
    That being said, I haven't been disappointed this summer. All the movies have either met, or exceded my expectations. Spiderman and AotC exceeded them :)

14. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    Perhaps the general audiences actually enjoyed Scooby Doo more than they did AOTC. But I guess that's completely out the question, huh.

[face_plain]

15. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    LOL, Mace Windy is right.

I can't tell you how many times I have come across polls that have been linked on tf.net's main page with a caption reading "Star Wars is losing" and by the time I get over to vote on said poll Star Wars is winning by a large margin! :) LOL

YodaJeff,

You may have a point, but merely putting a Star Wars picture besides the poll is extremely unfair IMHO.

16. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Well GriffZ, if that's true, it doesn't really say much for the general public does it?

ST

17. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    Come on guys, there are thousands of us here frequenting this boards. We could just go to that poll and change it around in two seconds.

Lets all go vote for Scooby Doo!!

Rock the vote.

18. rsterling78

May 26, 2002
    For what it's worth, the TV Guide website has the following next to its AOTC disappointment poll:

A Simpsons trivia quiz

A lead story about Adam Sandler's latest cinematic masterpiece

A Q&A hyperlink to the seldom-heard-about J-Lo

Oh, by the way, next week's TV Guide poll:

Which film do you consider a classic?
    2001:A Space Odyssey or Beavis and Butt-Head Do America

19. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    I was just going to post a topic on this very subject.
    I think there's a couple of things going on here. First of all, the public hears that Spider-Man is beating AOTC at the box office and of course jump to the conclusion that Spider-Man must be a vastly superior film. Second, it's popular to bash Star Wars these days. Don't worry, Spidey will get his bashers once the sequel comes out. Finally, AOTC is the top choice in that poll, and most people are too lazy to scroll down :)

Here's my question: most people who hate AOTC hated TPM as well, true? So how can they call AOTC a disappointment? How can a sequel to a film you didn't like in the first place be disappointing? It's not possible! It would be like me saying The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas failed to capture the magic of the first. :)
    Granted, some of this disappointment comes from expectations based on the OT. But like it or not, TPM was the template for the prequels. Even though most people think AOTC is an improvement on Episode I, it's still TPM's "son", so to speak. I hope these people don't stick around just to call Episode III a disappointment as well.

20. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    If Episode II was disappointing, then Spider-Man was the worst movie ever. And Scooby Doo is the equivalent of soaking your eyes in vinegar.

Perhaps the general audiences actually enjoyed Scooby Doo more than they did AOTC. But I guess that's completely out the question, huh.

Ugh. Ack. *queazy* I hope, for the sake of humanity, that the world's population didn't degrade that low...even if I hated SW, I would still think Scooby Doo was just plain bad. Enough said- you know when you go into a port-a-crapper at a theme park, and you are overwhelmed by that smell of crap? Scooby Doo was that bad and I'm not exaggerating.

21. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    Why not? If they liked SD more than AOTC, why does that make them lesser than you? Are people who like Spider-Man better or worse? What about Minority Report? The point is that you like it; it shouldn't matter what other people think.

Oh, and to say it's the person's fault that they didn't like AOTC is really ignorant, btw.

22. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Maybe Scooby Doo wasn't dissapointing because the expectations for it were so low.

23. rsterling78

May 26, 2002
    If they liked SD more than AOTC, why does that make them lesser than you?

Uh...can I plead the fifth on that one?

24. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    We need to spread the word to ALL the other fansites quickly!!

25. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.