main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC the Most Disappointing Movie of the Summer?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Lucas was only given a budget of $11 million for ANH. He had no choice but to make it with that much money. As time went on, he was given more money to put into the sequals since ANH was a blockbuster.

ST

2. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    that theory holds no water because you are adressing the movies in chronologcal order by release date... if that was the case TPM should have been better than all of the OT and AOTC should have been better than TPM AND all of the OT. if you think lucas is trying to make the movies get better and better if you go I II III IV V VI, then he must be a complete idiot. why would you want to make the first movie the worst, thereby turn people off from seeing the rest?

also technology does not make a film good, it only makes it easier to accomplish what you are trying to do.

3. Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi

Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 1999
    Anyway i am not surprised , when u think of it , the majority of the US look @ things as Jenny Jones,Ophra,Big Brother and Jerry Springer LMAO

and my opinion is 80% of the worlds pop are dumb anyway

just my 2 cents

AOTC RULEZ!

4. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    You know what? I don't give a rat's ass on how AOTC performed at the box officer or how it "disappointed" certain fans or critics.

I'm only judging the movie on how it affected me. I LOVED it. And that is all I'm concerned about.

5. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Right on. Bashers can talk all they want about how the movie was the most miserable piece of whatever, but you know what? I'd say I'm luckier than them. I enjoyed the movie. I had a great time, and my money was well spent. They, on the other hand, felt it was a waste of time and money. So they can keep their opinions and feel violated or ripped off or whatever, and I'll go see it again and be happy.

6. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    sorry but i dont accept crap when i see it. im a discerning viewer who doesnt just like something because GL made it. i hope it will be good, i want it to be good. i go into the theater with a positive attitude. i went to see AOTC with positive reviews and friends who liked it ringing in my ears, yet i was dissappointed. oh well. i dont feel sorry for people because they didnt like something... i see them as people who have an opinion.

im glad you are found something to like in the movie.

i found alot not to like. such is life.

i hope you like every movie you see, otherwise we will all start having to feel sorry for you.

7. JediNTraining

JediNTraining Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    You guys aren't reading my post correctly, because it's been nearly 20 years, it's almost a totally new trilogy, the PT, so, Lucas had to regain a new fanbase, so, he was almost starting over. So, TPM was safe and not risky, AOTC a little more, and III even more.

Then, consider that most older movies never stand up to the new ones no matter how much better new movies are, you have a Prequel Trilogy that does not quite match up to the Original Trilogy, so you have the I, II, III progressively getting better, matching up to to IV, then probably VI, then V.

JediNTraining

8. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    sorry but i dont accept crap when i see it. im a discerning viewer who doesnt just like something because GL made it. i hope it will be good, i want it to be good.
    Same here. Glad we have something in common.

i dont feel sorry for people because they didnt like something... i see them as people who have an opinion.
    Sure, they have an opinion. And of course it's valid. But I'm assuming that it's more enjoyable to like something than to dislike it. That's not saying you should be forced to like it. That's just saying that I enjoyed myself more, and I had a better time. Plus, I feel that my money and time were well spent. In regards to the movie, I am a happier person.

9. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Exactly, JediNTraining. We've got this continually climbing prequel story that gets better with each episode, and then the best climax in the world - 4, 5, and 6!

10. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    I think by the time Episode 3 comes by, there will be a BIG DIVIDE between Star Wars fans. Those that are lovers of the PT and those that are lovers of the OT. Two different generations, two different, but similar sagas.

11. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    im glad you are found something to like in the movie.

i found alot not to like. such is life.

Yeah, such is life without a shift or hyphen key on your keyboard. :)

Seriously, though, I thought the film was great. Not just "better than TPM," but great.

It has it all: romance, action, mystery, political intrigue, comedy - both subtle and slapstick, amazing special effects, (for the most part) good acting.

What's not to love?

12. Drew_Workin_It

Drew_Workin_It Jedi Master star 1

May 18, 2002
    These $300 million dollar-making dissapointments must really be making old George lose sleep, eh?

13. TheVioletBurns

May 27, 2002
    Truly, Drew! Man, the poor fellow... ;)

And DarthMaul13, actually, I disagree. I think only the most vehement of the bashers will completely ignore the PT. I'm sure most the rest of the world and fans will accept it all as Star Wars.

14. JediNTraining

JediNTraining Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    TheVioletBurns, you just slipped onto the best way to put it. Climax. In good story telling, the Climax occurs just past the 2/3rds point in the story, which, by mathematics means that Star Wars' climax is ESB, and ROTJ is the resolution. Both true. The turning point of the story is when Luke learns that Vader is indeed his father Anakin. The part even happens past 2/3rds of the movie itself.

That means that the other 4 movies are just buildups to the climax of the story. Then ROTJ finishes out the saga. So, our early dissappointment will turn out to be Lucas' finest hour, well, maybe 12 hours, ;) Bravo to the genius of George Lucas.

JediNTraining

15. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    "Sadly, at this point many of us will be happy/relieved if ep 3 is ALMOST as good as ROTJ."

That's funny, because if Episode III is only "almost as good as ROTJ", then I would consider it a MAJOR disappointment. I always believed that the middle of the saga is the most exciting part. That's why TPM and ROTJ are my least favourite episodes, though I still enjoy them.
    As for the prequel being crap, I would be interested to hear what modern blockbusters are not considered "crap". Just for comparison, you know :)

16. davison

davison Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2002
    when a kids show(scooby doo)is turned into a movie thats rated PG-13,you KNOW its going to be bad

17. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    FYI, Scooby is rated PG.

18. DarthHomer

Apr 29, 2000
    Yeah, it is hard to call films like Scooby Doo and The Scorpion King disappointing, since I never expected much from them anyway. But I still don't see how so many people can call AOTC disappointing, since this is pretty much the film we all wanted to see back in 99, instead of TPM (not that TPM was bad).

19. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Scooby-Doo = terrible
    AOTC = Better than Scooby-Doo

Any questions? ;)

ST

20. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    At least it's better than Scooby Doo. High praise indeed.

21. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    At least it's better than Scooby Doo. High praise indeed.
    And yet I somehow feel as though quite a few bashers won't even give AOTC that much credit.

22. Jedi-Hosinsul

Jedi-Hosinsul Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    Why do so many people on these boards like to use "so many of us." You can only speak for yourself and how you feel. Whether you are a basher or gusher you should not assume everybody agrees with you. When you use the above statement you are saying that there are many people out there that feel how you do but you have absolutely no evidence of this. Now you can say use "people you have talked to" but then you must state how many and who those people are. REMEMBER that there are millions of people out there and some liked the movie and some did not but you cannot speak for them personally.

23. TheVioletBurns

May 27, 2002
    Hosinsul, I like you.

24. archangel24601

archangel24601 Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2001
    though that WOULD make the plot more interesting, it would not make sense though. anakin may have the potential of doing great harm but now towards the women that he loves (ie shmi and padme).

25. DarthHomer

Apr 29, 2000
    Personally, I only find a film disappointing when everyone is telling me its the best film ever and I see it and it isn't. Examples include The Matrix and Spider-Man (both good, but not as good as the hype had me believe).
    No one told me TPM or AOTC would be the greatest films ever. I just enjoyed them for what they were. So maybe the negative critical reaction is actually a blessing in disguise :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.