AOTC Tickets Going on Sale during Convention?!?!

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by mgmcpa, Apr 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    Not likely, ultimately it has to go through Rick McCallum, who will be at SWC2. It isn't just some guy who decides in a vacuum or by randomly picking a date. I can't imagine them simply not knowing given than many SW stars and Rick McCallum will be there.
    And once you read the thread that I linked to earlier, about the anti-hardcore fan, anti-line restrictions placed on the The River radio station by LFL, it seems as if "There's something else behind all this. There's no logic in Lucasfilms move here."
    I'm going to guess there's another reason that we don't know about yet.
  2. Another.Sky.Walk.er.. Jedi Knight

star 2
    No, that not true.... that impossible!

Nooooooooooo!
    :_|

3. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    *sigh* It's time to tell the brother that he'll have to buy tickets. :-\
  4. MaximusVader Jedi Youngling

star 1
    So, who's down with jumping McCallum at the Celebration?
  5. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Instead of jumping him, why not hold him hostage until they wait to release the tickets till May 6th?
  6. MaximusVader Jedi Youngling

star 1
    OK....we jump him....then we hold him.

Can you imagine the language we would hear?

"This is NOT f*****g awesome!"
  7. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    LOL! [face_laugh] Dude, I physically laughed out loud at that! Something I don't do very much. :D

I think the people who don't have the DVD won't get it though. :p

LOL!
  8. MaximusVader Jedi Youngling

star 1
    "This is f*****g grim."

Seriously...we grab him, get him liquored up and have him call Uncle George.

"Master? Um...I'm just gonna go ahead and show these guys the flick. You know and I know that it it's f*****g awesome. *hiccup...slurred speach* NO...I am NOT drunk again, d*****t!!!"
  9. FilmAddict Jedi Padawan

Let's hope this IS a rumor. Here's my BIG problem:
    Getting tix for opening night shouldn't be a problem really. But I live near a theater that has ONE of their screens that is Digital Projection. Without lining up, it's going to be damn near IMPOSSIBLE to get tix for that theater, for the whole first week, much less the first show!

The GOOD NEWS:
    I also don't see theaters putting them on sale on a Friday, especially with Spiderman opening. They don't need the extra bodies interfering with lines for current shows. I think you'll see it sometime earlier that week.
  10. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I guess I feel lucky...somewhat.
    If my local theater sells tickets similar to last time, it will not have advance tickets for sale before the day of the showing. For Episode I, I had to get there at 4:30 AM on May 19 to get tickets (they opened the ticket counter at 7 or 8). That's right, no midnight showing. No tickets two weeks in advance.

As for them showing Episode II at the Celebration, that would totally rock. If they are done with the film now (as rumors seem to have it), it would be possible. It is unprobable for many reasons. First off, it would be impossible to make sure that everyone has an opportunity to see the movie. The first batch of people who can see it will be talking about it, so those who cannot see it until later will probably hear too much (unless they're already spoiled). This also would hurt the sales at the charity screenings. Since that money is supposed to be for charity, well, I would feel bad taking money away from them. Finally, everyone from around Indy who hears about the screenings (word would travel very quickly) would go to the convention and shell out the $30 just to be one of the first people to see the movie.
  11. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    Spiderman, I fogot about that. The more I think about this, the less I believe it.
    LFL has told our Nashville City rep that they are thinking ABOUT 2 weeks. The report on TFN links to a web page for a theatre chain. Theatres have jumped the gun in the past and made promises regarding information that hasn't been released (like promising midnight showings when no knows if LFL will allow it). It's also possible that this is the date THAT THEATRE will be selling tix. The case may be different for major theatre chains like Regal and Carmike.
  12. Doright Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I am not buying it. It is more likely that LFL will put restrictions on theaters so they Can not start selling tickets during Celebration. I am worried they will go on sale the 2nd. That is the day I will be driving to Indy but it is not really during the Celebration.

I am a bit disturbed by the Anti Hardcore fan/anti line up tone from the radio station. But keep in mind lawyers run the world. Any thing that is "officially" sanctioned would open LFL up to lawsuits and everything else. The limits placed on the Radio Station are most likely a standard deal the LFL lawyers require to reduce the chance of getting sued.

13. Carl-StarWarsFanOrg Jedi Knight

star 1
    Don't you think you guys are overreacting here?

First of all, this is NOT yet confirmed or been made official by Lucasfilm.

Secondly, even if it comes through and the 5/3 date sticks it's not the end of the world. Nor does it mean there is some vast LFL "conspiracy" against diehard fans.

Business is business and that can get complicated. And the movie business is even more complicated.

You have to trust that Lucasfilm and Fox (who have MUCH more to worry about than what just 20,000 "diehard fans" want) are going to think all of this through to the logical conclusion.

Think about it. Who are the "experts" and the professionals here?

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm one of "you" guys and will be at the Celebration myself. But you're really overreacting and freaking out over something that is at the end of the day a pretty trivial matter. Then again, "Star Wars" fans seem to be good at that these days.

Don't worry. If you wish to see AOTC on Opening Night or Opening Day you'll find a way to get tickets, even IF they go on sale while you're in Indy. These things always have a way of working out.

Relax and be happy.

WAY too many folks crossing into the path of the Darkside these days. :(

`Carl
  14. DEWGOD01 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm guessing you just read the Complaint thread about the autograph cost. Nothing but darkside there. But as for tickets...solution...send the same guy/girl you are sending to get your free comics at the Free Comic Book day. :)
  15. Carl-StarWarsFanOrg Jedi Knight

star 1
    You're right, DEWGOD01... far too much complaining going on these days. :(

You'd think people would be less touchy, seeing as a new "Star Wars" flick is literally just around the corner. Yet we fly off the handle at ever little trivial thing. I don't get it.

And the folks complaining about autograph costs have surely never been to any of the other major conventions. They've hit $20-30 a piece now! The $12-15 at C2 is a steal, in comparison... especially given that they will be supplying cool 8x10 photos that are actually EXCLUSIVE to the event.

Let's all take a Jedi pill and chill...

`Carl
  16. mgmcpa Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks everyone for your responses to my post. I'm glad to see it wasn't just me that thinks this is a problem.

The Spider Man thing does make sense, why have AOTC ticket lines and Spider Man opening lines all at once! If you talk to a theater, be sure and point this out to them. If 2 weeks ends up being the magic timing, at least that falls on May 1 or 2 which makes ticket purchasing prior to the Celebration possible(although difficult for us West Coast Celebration attending fans). But, let's hope that 1 week in advance sticks.

Also, regarding the line up stuff, the restrictions on camping lines is usually not a LFL problem, it's usually the property owners. At the Mercado AMC in San Jose, CA you can't camp because the security of the mall won't allow it. Nothing to do with Lucas. So, you can only line up really early the day of ticket sales and movie opening.

Anyway - thanks again for all the responses!

17. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    True, there is allot of complaining.

It isn't a trivial matter to allot of us. There is more to it than just seeing the movie, it's seeing it with the fans and having a good time camping out for it.

As I have stated earlier, our Nashville City Rep has spoken to an LFL publicity rep who has told us that ROUGHLY two weeks is when they are thinking of doing advanced ticket sales. Had I not heard that, I wouldn't have given the report on TFN an ounce of consideration.

But for the most part it's been very hard to understand why LFL would do the a May 3rd ticket sale. Allot of fans like to say "Guess what guys, LFL doesn't care about the fans." Well, yeah they do, at least from a business standpoint. Fans lining up around the world are an unbeatable promotional tool. By now I'm sure just about everyone has heard of the two guys in Seattle who have been in line since January 1st (300+ interviews I hear). Not to mention SW fans enthusiasm and excitement being contageous. Ask any Hollywood producer or studio executive and they will tell you the single import and powerful form of promotion is word of mouth. I've gotten people who hate SW to see Episode I. So why would they be doing this and competing with Spider-man on the same day?

Now that I have thought about this a little more, the May 3rd release date costs them too much in terms of free fan-generated publicity and direct competition with Spider-man. I doubt that it is the real date, especially considering the theatre website that had posted the May 3rd date removed it from the page, probably at the request of LFL.
    http://www.renaissancerialto.com/future/grandlake.htm
  18. Grendelbob Jedi Knight

star 1
    as I said before, have a contingency plan and relax.

I'm sure we will have lots of news this coming week.
  19. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I really don't think there's too much use in complaining or worrying about this. Would it make life tricky? Maybe. Would it make me not want to go to Celebration II? Hell no. First of all, let's just address this from the get go, there is no conspiracy from Lucas against the fans. Anyone who thinks that is some kind of king-sized moron. "Hi, I'd like this moron Super sized." "Here you go sir." Lucas hating the hard core fan is like American Airlines saying, "We hate frequent fliers. We hate business travelers. All they do is stay loyal to our company, and keep us in business." We're talking about a guy that was promised $100,000,000 in profits from Hasbro for Star Wars toys. And sorry, but they don't make super stylized Jango Fett in action pose for a kid to play with, since all the figure can do is stand there John Woo style with his two pistols shooting everyone. That's not a kid's toy, it's for collectors. They don't sell $400 replica lightsabers for kids to play with, or $200 Boba Fett statues for little Timmy to hang his hat on. They sell them because Lucas knows there is a fan base. And I truly don't believe he just does it for the money. He could sit back and do nothing, never release a new Star Wars product again and still make hordes of cash from Skywalker Sound, the effects studios, the large soundstage he owns in England and leases to other films, royalties from the movies... I honestly think that he loves the fans. Why do you think the president of the fan club appeared in Episode I? It wasn't to make an action figure of him. People that think there's a conspiracy are probably just jaded by something. Maybe they didn't get their Toy Fair Darth Vader. Well, neither did I. That's not Lucas' fault, that's the fault of our Ebay-based culture. Scalpers, not collectors rule the market now. As for the tickets going on sale on May 3rd, maybe they will. I'll try to get my father in law to wait in line, or I'll see if I can find a cyber cafe in Indy and order the tickets online when they go on sale. As a last resort, I already took that day off of work, so if I have to, I'll buy tickets to an Indy theater and drive down from Milwaukee on the 16th to see it. But don't go hating George Lucas and Rick McCallum just yet. I think they like the fans, after all, it is called Celebration II, not Merchanding II.
  20. Shequan Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I never listen to anything that isn't officially confirmed, but this e-mail from the Renaissance Rialto kind of freaked me out:

====================================
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Renaissance Rialto Inc. [mailto:webmaster@renaissancerialto.com]
    Sent: Friday, April 12, 2002 10:04 AM
    To: Shequan LaFokefa
    Subject: RE: Star Wars

Hello Shequan,

We agree, the "note" on the bottom of the page could have contained more
    information. We will fix that for the future.

Here are the details:

We assume that the Grand Lake will show SW2 starting on May 16. I say assume
    because NO theaters have been awarded the film at this time.

Tickets on sale May 3 will be for shows on Thurs May 16 - Sun May 19. All
    other days after May 19 will be same day ticket sales only.

Prices are:
    General Admission $8.50
    Child(2-12) $5.00
    Senior (62+)$5.00
    Matinee (shows starting before 5:45) $5.00
    All sales are cash only please.

We think we will have four show times since the running time is about 2
    hours 15 minutes. We might obtain a second print for a second auditorium
    which will allow us to have an additional four show times. We will probably
    decline to have a midnight showing.

We will post the show times as soon as we know them.

Thanks for your interest. We look forward to serving you.

==========================================

Of course, if she is only assuming the theater will get the movie, maybe they are arbitrarily putting up her own ticket sale date. And she said they will probably decline to have a midnight screening. We can't verify the validity of this e-mail. I'm not even seeing it there - I'm just trying to see if they'll leak some info. [face_devil] I guess it's just something else to wait for ...
  21. MaximusVader Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Not complaining...just want to jump, kidnap and liquor up McCallum. How fun would that be????

Gonna be getting online tickets if this happens anyway. No big deal. We can still all do the line thing the night before the movie.

And if we still have McCallum at that time.....ALL THE MORE FUN IN LINE!!!! Who wouldn't love to have McCallum come staggering into their theater in a drunken stupor screaming how "f*****g awesome" it is to be there????
  22. Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    How much are advanced tickets anyway?
  23. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    By advanced it means they are sold in advance of the movie instead of on the same day as the release. They were the same price as everything else for Episode I, however ticket prices went up accross the board at about the same time.
  24. DonC Jedi Master

star 4
    Forget jumping Rick McCallum, I wanna jump Carrie Fisher. [face_mischief]

Anyway. Cinemark.com (another theater chain) told me they haven't decided when to put Ep. II tickets on sale yet. If they do go on sale May 3, I'll just ask my sister to get them. Not a problem.
  25. Shequan Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Rick McCallum made a speech @ our theater when E1 was released - if he's there again, he's gonna get some Milk Duds tossed at him.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.