main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AotC Ultimate Edition Soundtrack?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by ComicDude, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ComicDude

ComicDude Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2001
    If there is one, when will it be released?

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
  3. JimWare

JimWare Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2000
    Hopefully any AOTC Ultimate Edition will be better put together than the awful Phantom Menace UE...

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    They (Sony Classical or whoever gets this score) need to do this right from the beginning. They need to make the entire score available from day one. So release two versions. A one disc version that is all out of order and has concert arrangements like John Williams likes to do and a two disc version with the entire score in film order for those of us who want that and are willing to pay for a two disc set.

5. JimWare

JimWare Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2000
    I agree, but the 2 disc set should include the *unedited* cues (in film order) and alternates, like the SE CDs.

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    No I hate the Empire and Jedi SE soundtracks. I want ONLY what is in the film in film order. IF you wanna include bonus stuff, unused score and alternate things (Like Luke and Vader Talk, Luke and Ben's conversation after Yoda dies) put them as BONUS tracks at the end of the CD. I STILL do not have the Opening cue from Empire Strikes Back on CD. I get 8 minutes of unused score instead. WHEN do I get what is IN THE FILM???

7. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    I may be the only one, but I agree 100% with you, stri! :)

I like to flip on my CD player, press play, and be able to watch the movie in my head while listening to the music. :mad: ;)

8. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I completely disagree. If you give us the score as JW recorded it, we can recreate it as it's heard in the film, but if you give us only what's heard in the film, then there's all kinds of good stuff that JW recorded that we'll never hear.

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate when they give us only what was heard in the film, as the UE did. I despise that with a passion for which the words do not exist in the English language to describe. I am currently learning other languages just so I can sufficiently express my fierce displeasure.

9. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    You missed what he said. he said to add on the edited tracks at the end.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I had to spend HOURS editing together four different cues from ESB SE, listening closely to the film, using a WAV editor on my computer in order to create the ESB opening titles and the connected music from the film. It's ridiculous that I have to do that JUST to get the actual score from the film I bought the soundtrack for. I did not buy the EMPIRE STRIKES BACK THAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN soundtrack. I bought the soundtrack for the film I saw. Put the bonus music, put the unused music in tracks at the end of the cd, so I can listen to the SCORE FROM THE FILM.

11. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    At least you can do that.

I can never hear the music JW actually wrote for TPM. Why? Because they put out the UE instead.

Now, as for the edited tracks being supplemental, that depends on how heavily things are edited. You would need to release two more CDs for TPM in order to put out all the unedited tracks. They don't exactly squeeze in to available space.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Oh come now.... we have been waiting for 22 years for the actual versions from ESB. You been waiting for 3 years for additional music from TPM. I'll cry for you when it's 2016 and you don't have your TPM SE soundtrack with extra music. ;)

13. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    It's a bitter pill, though, 'cause they told us we were getting it, then gave us the steaming pile of #$^@ known as the TPM UE.

14. JimWare

JimWare Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2000
    Strilo, you *hate* the Empire and Jedi SEs?!?!

Empire includes *EVERYTHING* heard in the film, Jedi includes almost everything heard in the film. Both are in the correct order (with two or three exceptions).

I take it you hate the Superman, Raiders, and Jaws expanded releases as well?

15. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    But Jedi is soooooo messed up. It's all out of order! :mad:

16. JimWare

JimWare Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2000
    Which parts exactly?

I can only think of three sections in the wrong places:

Darth Vader's Death (alternate opening)
    The Emperor Arrives (alternate opening)
    and
    Light Of The Force (alternate)

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I never said once that I hate the scores. I hate the CD releases of the scores that don't give me what's in the film.

I would like you to show me where the opening cue for ESB, with the music as Luke and Han are on Hoth, exists in film order on the ESB SE soundtrack.

Oh and JimWare?

Return of the Jedi:

Tatooine Rendezvous (mostly not in film)
    The Emperor Arrives (wrong opening)
    Obi-Wan's Revelation(mostly not in film)
    Leia's News/Light Of The Force (In film/Not in film/In film) **stoopid**
    Victory Celebration (Totally different mix than the film)

And my point with ESB and ROTJ SE soundtracks is not that all this extra stuff was put on. It's that it was put in with everything else. GIVE ME the opening titles from ESB. Then put the full extended version with all the unused music as a bonus track at the end of the score. GIVE ME the correct Leia's News/Light of the Force then put the alternate at the end of the CD.

18. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yah, I know. :-\

And TESB's "opening" after the story crawl actually starts on track FOUR. Umm, helLO?

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah, see Sithman... we on da same page. :D

20. JimWare

JimWare Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2000
    But in the correct place.

Presented as recorded, in it's intended place. Revised opening is on disc two (in a rather odd place, unfortunately).

I mentioned that. This cue was handled better on the 1993 anthology.

Victory Celebration (Totally different mix than the film)
    Good point. A bit like 'The Parade' on the 'ultimate' edition.

The opening for ESB is presented as recorded and intended to be used on SE disc 1, track 2. The version used in the film uses a revised cue (disc 1, track 4, 0:00-1:10, the only thing out of order on the discs) and material tracked from other cues.

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001

The right place?? It was not in the bleeding film how can THAT be the right place???

Presented as recorded, in it's intended place. Revised opening is on disc two (in a rather odd place, unfortunately).

Presented as recorded? SO WHAT... it's not what was in the bloody film!!! Is this a FILM SCORE or a novelty CD?

See above.

I mentioned that. This cue was handled better on the 1993 anthology.

This was NOT handled better on the 1993 anthology. ONE version of it is the alternate version of Leia's News connected to the film version of Funeral Pyre for a Jedi and the OTHER version is the film version of Leia's News connected to the alternate version of Funeral Pyre for a Jedi. NEITHER ONE is what is in the ding dang film!!!

The opening for ESB is presented as recorded and intended to be used on SE disc 1, track 2. The version used in the film uses a revised cue (disc 1, track 4, 0:00-1:10, the only thing out of order on the discs) and material tracked from other cues.

INTENDED FOR USE??? Who freakin cares? As I said before, PUT it in a bonus track at the end IN ADDITION to the film version. DO NOT give it to us INSTEAD of the film version. I want the FILM SCORE... not some expanded version that includes all the music they DIDN'T use.

I mean come on... If they did some special edition of The Beatles' Abbey Road, would you want the extra songs and things they didn't use CONNECTED to the songs you knew and loved? Or would you want them at the end so you can listen to either version? HEY let's put an expanded version of Come Together on INSTEAD of the original we're all used to and looking for!!!

This is exactly what the SE soundtracks are for ESB and ROTJ and why they annoy me.

22. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    Fusspots... you gotta love 'em.

:p

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Anyway, I think we have hijacked this thread long enough... :D

I would like to see the AOTC full score in film order appear as a two disc set right up front on April 30. I know this won't happen but I can dream...

24. ComicDude

ComicDude Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2001
    I want it to be organized in the same style is TPM UE soundtrack.

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah well, I want everything from the score in film order. Bonus tracks should be at the end of each disc. One thing I HATE about the TPMUE is the tiny little 18 second long cues. Gimme a break the tracks can be longer... we don't need 60+ tracks that are one minute long or shorter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.