main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC VHS

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Tropical_Plumber, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tropical_Plumber

Tropical_Plumber Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    As I'm sure everyone here knows, the DVD release of AOTC contains some minor changes to the theatrical cut of the film. These include an expanded version of the confession scene and the addition of CG sparks to Jango's jetpack at the end. I bought the DVD when it came out and was quite content with it. However, recently I have wished that I could have an unaltered version of the theatrical cut. So, is the version of the film available on VHS the original cut or does it contain the additions seen on the DVD?

2. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    My understanding is that the VHS is the same digital cut as the DVD and that the original theatrical cut is (unfortunately) lost to history. The only reason we were able to have both versions of TPM is that the VHS came out so far in advance of the DVD, and the DVD was where the first changes took place. In the case of AotC, the first changes were done for the digital version which was released at the same time as the film one, and so made their way onto the VHS.

I'm baffled that, just for completists, they didn't do branching on the DVD. The changes were so minor it would have been insanely easy. The change I'm really after is not either of the ones you mentioned but the original wedding scene. While I understand what they were trying to do with the hand-holding, I find it a little artificial and think the original maybe a bit more elegant.

-Paul

3. Tropical_Plumber

Tropical_Plumber Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Thanks darth_paul. I knew that the VHS and DVD were released at the same time, but since the changes to the film are often refered to as the "DVD changes", I thought that perhaps the VHS was unaltered. At least, I'd hoped so.

I guess part of being a Star Wars film is having your original cut swept under the rug. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.