main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hou, TX ApolloCon 2007 = June 22-24th at the Doubletree IAH

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Noir, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Noir

Jedi_Noir Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2002
    Hi folks...

I posted something in the main "MidSouth" thread about this upcoming gen convention here in Houston, with a lot more details. There is still plenty of time to arrange to promote your group at the con, plan a get-together, etc. If you'd like to arrange something in conjunction with the 30th anniversary, that may be possible - please PM me or email me offsite.

2. TI1420

TI1420 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    I'll throw a post on the local 501st board about this. I expect some of us wil be there Friday & Saturday.

PM sent on if you have anything specific you'd like us to do at AC.

3. Jedi_Noir

Jedi_Noir Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2002
    Hey there - did I miss your PM? I'll send you one!

4. Droidmech

Droidmech Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2007
    What is ApolloCon? How about some details as the Droid Builders Guild might be interested in attending.

Dan S.
    Houston Droid Builder
    Droid Builders Guild - Outer Rim

5. Danpa_Wamem

Danpa_Wamem Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2005
    DoubleTree Hotel Houston Intercontinental Airport
    15747 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
    Houston, TX
    Website

6. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    I know we have discussed this before, but why is it so freaking expensive?

7. Danpa_Wamem

Danpa_Wamem Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2005
    I couldn't find a price ...

8. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    It's on the left sidebar, under Registration. It's $35 now. $70 for my husband and me to attend is way too much. o_O

9. crystala

crystala Jedi Master star 1

May 7, 2002
    I know I havent been around in a while...been a bit busy.

As far as the prices for Apollocon, it actually is cheaper than most cons in this area. We start at a rate usually around $20 if you pre-register early and then $35 at the door. This is the price for all 3 days total. You can buy a pass at the convention for just one day, if you prefer.

Most other cons don't give you the option of buying a 3-day pass at $20. Also, we are completely non profit. We are not a company and therefore we make the money to have the con every year, by fan goers buying passes and getting a hotel room for the con.

10. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Sweet! I work on Vickery, which is one street east of JFK. Yeah, I'll show up.

11. Jedi_Noir

Jedi_Noir Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2002
    Regarding price, it is $20 to attend for one day, if you're budget conscious.

In fact, they are still looking for another SW philosopher/expert to participate in a panel regarding Star Wars, its impact on science fiction and on fandom. If you know someone who has the gift of gab, get in touch with the Programming heads, Kim and Katy - programming@apollocon.org .

12. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    What times are you guys planning on showing up? I plan on sometime friday, and that time is flexible.

13. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    Yeah, but that's still $40 if I wanted to go with my husband. Is it a really good convention?

14. Jedi_Noir

Jedi_Noir Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2002
    As far as whether it's a good convention... I thought it was fun. But it really depends on what you're looking for, as far as an experience, and what your standards are. I came of age at Media*West (which cost $35 for a weekend back in the early 1990s...most cons cost about that amount or more... I'd define a "freaking expensive" con as something like World Fantasy, which was in Austin last year, and cost $150).

I judge a lot by the panels, parties and people rather than how big the dealer room is. Other people are going to judge by gaming, LARPs, masquerade size, or other things. I like the very broad mix of people and interests represented last year. Is it huge, like DragonCon ($70-85/membership), no ... we're talking hundreds, rather than thousands of people, at least judging by last year. I think the size is conducive to making friends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.