main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hou, TX ApolloCon

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by TK8171, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK8171

TK8171 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2009
    Is this something we could do? I would be willing to wear my TK suit, maybe Danny could dress as an Imperial or a Jedi. Our fanforce could benefit from this. Post what you think guys/gals.

2. Danpa_Wamem

Danpa_Wamem Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2005
    It's an good idea ... should draw a crowd if nothing else. ha ha

3. TK8171

Feb 21, 2009
    After Allcon, this should become a goal for us. This might also be away for us to promote the fanforce. Everybody chime in.

4. Danpa_Wamem

May 2, 2005
    I'm game for it ... I just need to know when it is.

5. TK8171

Feb 21, 2009
    Here is the link to their web site. http://www.apollocon.org/ The dates are June 26 - 26. This a friday thru sunday deal.

6. TK8171

Feb 21, 2009
    It looks like we can register a table. And there is a costume contest too. I know it is not AllCon, but it might be a fun way to promote the Houston Fanforce.

7. crystala

crystala Jedi Master star 1

May 7, 2002
    Hello. It's been a while since I visited here and glad to see that things picked up again. It would be great to see the 501st part of Apollocon again. It's been way too long since you all caused a commotion at the con :)

I may or may not be there. I am the volunteer coordinator (once again), but I am also going to give birth a month after Apollocon. It all depends on how I am doing, but I will at least try to make an appearance on the Saturday of the con if nothing else.

I kept the yahoo group up, just in case anyone was interested, so people might want to pop in there from time to time. I'll let them know the HFF is alive again and redirect them back to the board here.

Renee

8. TK8171

Feb 21, 2009
    Sounds great, and welcome back!! I am a 501st member and hopefully we can get a few of us and our Houston fanforce team to be at the Apollocon. If anything, we could do atleast one day. I think any time we put in will be time well spent. [face_thinking]

9. StormMoose

StormMoose Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2005
    I beleave last year the 501st wanted to do something at Aollocon and it just did not work out. New daddy Ian tried to work with them and had a hard time of it. I could make a late troop of it if there is enough intrest.

David
    TD6867
    501ST Clone ready to rock

10. crystala

May 7, 2002
    If you have something in mind that you would like to do at Apollocon, let me know. I will see what can be done. The con committee may change hands, but I was the liason for the 501st in the past, and have no problems doing it again.

Renee

11. TI1420

TI1420 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    It's tough getting folks to come to Houston in June, and a lot of Houston-based people are out on vacation. That's how it turned out last year. Hopefully we can get the troops mustered together for an ApolloCon troop this year.

Crystala, shoot me an email or PM and let's see what we can organize. :)

12. TK8171

Feb 21, 2009
    Maybe if we get a few of us involved this year and establish ourselves, maybe each year we will grow in attendance. I was thinking if anything we might could work a table promoting the 501st and the Fanforce. And if nothing else, troop it and give others some great photo ops.

13. Danpa_Wamem

May 2, 2005
    Sounds like some good ideas

14. crystala

May 7, 2002
    We are working on ideas right now and I have one to throw out. Con parties are one of the best ways to get people interested and on Saturdays we usually have a list of the various hotel rooms doing con parties. You don't need to get one of the big rooms, it could be just a regular hotel room.

15. ID6796

ID6796 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2009
    I am game for anytime Saturday. I am going to have fun in costume not do volunteer work for Apollo Con. Well unless they want to pick up our entry fees then I might be able to consider helping out a little.

John

16. TI1420

Nov 5, 2002
    Hopefully we can get some Star Wars fans represented at ApolloCon this year. Although I do agree that the ticket price is rather steep, it is a lot cheaper than a drive to a sci-fi con in some other city. Maybe if we can promise several attendees, we'll get a group discount (Renee? any help here would be hot :) ) Greater attendance at ApolloCon 2009 should help lower the price and get better attractions in years to come.
    At the very least, this is a great opportunity to meet new potential members and expand the Houston FanForce beyond our usual handful of active members.

Would anyone be interested in helping to set up a FanForce club table? We could all chip in for the table and some promo materials to place upon it (such as some flyers, a static display, etc) Although they prefer that we keep such a table 'manned' at all times, even a static display is OK. I feel that something as simple as a tri-fold standup would do wonders, and those of us who go would have a place to meet and greet each other and potential members.

Also: how about we have the June FF meeting at ApolloCon? Could be good times...

I'll try to remember to bring this up at the May meeting this Saturday.

17. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Jedi_Knight_Jonas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    Been a long time since I posted too. I'm down to help however.

18. TI1420

Nov 5, 2002
    501st is also looking at a room party on Saturday night. Enough people chip in $5-$10 and the room rate is quite reasonable. It's on a "party floor", too, so it wouldn't be a problem with the hotel and we'd be likely to mingle with some of the other groups.

Club Displays are free, we'd just need to put together a static display along the guidelines found here. A club table would need to be staffed and costs $20. The $20 part is no problem, but since I personally don't want to sit there all weekend, we'd need to find folks to staff it.

Does anyone have any ideas for a static display?

19. _erikstormtrooper_

_erikstormtrooper_ Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2006
    I think we should start small - do a static display this year and aim to do a table next year.

For a static display, I'm working on a graphic to use on our posters and flyers (I'll bring it to the meeting this weekend). We should have some other pictures, but I don't know if we have any pictures to use that don't involve 501st and Rebel Legion stuff. I guess we could throw some generic Star Wars pictures up there, but that might be kind of lame.

20. Danpa_Wamem

May 2, 2005
    I would say start small as well ... if nothing else get some flyers made and maybe have them on a table (like at All-Con, etc).

21. TI1420

Nov 5, 2002
    Maybe we can work out a rough layout tonight. I'll bring a paper & pen.

22. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    OK. Here's my DRAFT flier/poster for us to us at Appolocon.

http://www.erikstormtrooper.com/ff_poster_proto.jpg - it's about 1 MB

I 'd really like for us to use this as the large poster for our static display, printed in full color at around 19" x 26" (COUGH printertest COUGH). The file above is a scaled-down version, and it looks remarkably good when printed on plain paper in black and white. So this might also work as a flier if y'all are happy with it.

What do you guys think? Make sure you zoom in on the image to read the text. As always, feel free to let me know if it's crap ;)

23. ID6796

ID6796 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2009
    WOW !

This is very awesome. Quite impressive.

Still the web site line would be hard for someone to remember. I think our next goal might be to make it easier somehow.

Thanks Eric. This Rocks.

24. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    Thanks!

I totally agree on the website address. But short of us plopping down about $100 a year for our own URL and website, I don't know what we can do about it.

Does anyone know if we can buy just a URL (about $15 a year) and have it point to our board here on the tfn forums?

I don't expect anyone to remember our address, so that's why I think we should have fliers that people can take with them. I have a B&W laser printer at home with plenty of extra toner, so I could print a whole bunch of B&W fliers at no cost (well, we'd need to buy a pack of paper).

25. TK8171

Feb 21, 2009
    Nice job Erik! A flier is a great way to push that website too. If I can do this at work, I will let you know. I think this poster will catch eyes too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.