main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hou, TX ApolloCon

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by TK8171, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TI1420

TI1420 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    GREAT WORK!

I'll test the printer a few times and see how this comes out.

Thanks, Erik! The poster is impressive... very impressive!

2. _erikstormtrooper_

_erikstormtrooper_ Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2006
  3. ID6796

ID6796 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2009
    I printed the smaller version on 8.5x11, b&w, and it looks good. Only has a 1/4 inch white boarder.

I can run off some copies if all agree this will work.

Option 1:
    As for the web site, Danpa (Danny) has several websites and said yes that you can purchase an URL and have it point you somewhere else.

Example: www.gospelinsong.net

Option 2:
    For somewhere around $15 each month he has a basic web site that also might work for us. Being that it is a month-to-month charge, they want a credit card.

Example: www.dannypattersonmusic.com

I think we need to discuss these options at our meeting this Saturday.

4. Danpa_Wamem

Danpa_Wamem Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2005
  5. ID6796

Apr 26, 2009
    Apollo Con is still a go. We are meeting around 10 am to check in and then costume up for those who are going to troup.

Even if you don't want to troup, come and hang out with us. We like crowds and cameras.

6. Danpa_Wamem

May 2, 2005
    I'm still going to the con ...

7. ID6796

Apr 26, 2009
    Danpa told me that there is a Star Wars Fan Film showing scheduled for Saturday night. We are trying to confirm the time and attend.

8. TK8171

TK8171 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2009
    Apollo Con went well. Not very many of our people showed up, but we had a great time. The staff were super excited that the 501st were there. I was asked where the 501st party was and I had to tell them next year. It was great to see Brian come out too. Big thanks to John and Tammy for getting our static display up!!

Oh, we also met Crystala. I have seen her post for years and lo and behold, there she was at Apollocon. There were some good fan films to see. And We did the Masquerade contest. Danny raked in the awards on that. Before we left, we did a interview with the Chronicle and I did a video interview with a guy doing a movie on conventions and the sci fi community. And ofcourse we made a lot of new friends.

So, it was NOT Allcon, but is was a good con. Danny and I were asked to come back next year with more of us. I hope we can make this a yearly thing. I will post some pics soon.

9. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    Awesome. What did y'all end up doing with the static display? Did Ian get the poster to print? Did y'all do flyers?

10. Sith-Trooper

Sith-Trooper Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2009
    Even though I only got to hang out half of Saturday, it was fun chillin with Chris and Danny. Congrats to Danny for winning one of the awards!!!

$20 a day is a bit pricey for such a small con. Price point is not very friendly for the curious and interested walk-thru people that would normally take a chance on something new for them.

11. ID6796

Apr 26, 2009
    Ian could not get the larger poster made - machines were tied up. He emailed me the larger file and I was able to get a 11 x 17 printed in color on glossy. Had to trim it a bit so it finished about 11 x 15 1/2.

I purchased a small tri-fold presentation foam board. Put the fanforce small poster in the middle, 2 - 8.5x11 of the 501st flyers on the left, and 2 - 8.5x11 of the Rebel Legion flyers on the right.

My kid added some high quality clone wars stickers and I added a banner on top reading, "Star Wars Fan?" and it looked good.

Between Chris and I we printed out flyers for all 3 clubs and had them on the table in front of the display along with a stack of clone tattoos. Unfortantely very few kids attended.

I will get you a pic of the display if any came out.

12. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    Thanks for the info, John. It sounds like a very good display. I'd love to see some pics if you have any.

13. Danpa_Wamem

May 2, 2005
    Yeah it was a fun time at the con. Granted it wasn't a really big con (like CIV) but was bigger than others I've seen (and been to).

I really didn't think the $20 a day was too bad as I've seen smaller cons charge that for 1 day (and not have a quarter of the stuff this con had).

Thanks Chris & Brian for the congrats ... it was fun.

14. TK8171

TK8171 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2009
    Yes, I agree on the price. The Lake Charles con wanted 35 for one day and it was the size of a basketball court. We stayed busy all day. So, not bad. They want us back next year. Danny and I really made an effort to get around and talk with other clubs. John met the Houston Costuming club. So, like we said, a pretty decent con. I will go back next year for sure. Oh, it was funny I met a lady who said she talked to a 501st guy who said he was not paying to get in to the con. She asked us about it and we were able to bring a little peace to that. She later asked if we would do a panel next year on costuming. So, I feel that we accomplished our goal at ApolloCon. Mission complete!!

15. Sith-Trooper

Sith-Trooper Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2009
    Yeah...you guyz are probably right about the pricing. I've gotten spoiled on the bigger cons over the past couple of years and have been used to getting more bang for my buck. Hopefully next year will be bigger and better with a slightly higher midichlorian count among attendees. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.