main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Apology

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Hama, Feb 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    I stand by my belief that you should be banned for life. Members are supposed to be able to trust mods. Mods are supposed to be examples. How can you expect members to follow insane rules,(ex. according to missy we cant say hoser), when mods cannot follow a VERY sensible rule: DONT IMPERSONATE GEORGE LUCAS!. but this is probably my last post on the subject. I am not that mad anymore, however I still think you should be banned for life, because,IMO, that is what would happen if a non-mod did something similar.
    I forgive you, but I still feel that justice must be done.

2. JarvisW

JarvisW Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 21, 2000
    Thanks for your apology.

The main reason I was PO'd was because if GL didn't have a sence of humor we might not be here tomorrow. I would not want that to happen to the best SW forum around.

I still think that if anyone else but an admin were to do anything remotely like this they would be IP banned for life! I know some people have been banned for much less.

I also feel that any other SW actor or crew member will be instantly ridiculed and drummed out now because of this and maybe something should be done about the exclusivivity of VIP status.

Thanks again for your apology.

3. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    face it, this place, like many others online is a haven for puritans and a breeding ground for mob justice and self rightousness and poor spelling : (

4. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Not me, though... an SW person after Peter Mayhew would have been suspicious.

Hama: If it was any other member of the JC would you have banned that person? That's just one point I'm concerned about, how fair the administrators are. But you're forgiven, although you have to earn back my trust now.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    I don't see anything funny about it, namly cause it was too easy a prank to pick off. It certainly wouldn't have been funnier if it had gone furthur and endangered any tf.n Lucasfilm privildges that had been setup over the last few years.

That was lucky.

Anyway, Kinnebi, I've never heard of you and I've been around here for a hell of a long time, this is indicative of why a lot of people have left this place. Members making adminship when they obviously don't deserve it does not make this place any better. As you've shown, it's a backward step.

6. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    But come on, you have to admit you guys are too gullible. DONT BELIEVE WHAT YOU SEE ON THE INTERNET. The only place on the Internet you would get proof of George Lucas being on these boards is if it was posted on the official site. I too had to learn this from a certian thread in the Episode II and III forums about a certian character. But believing George Lucas would visit these boards is just too much, I mean, what the heck were you thinking? He's editing his movie, and then spontainiously decides to visit TFN Boards? Get real guys. This joke was funny because people were destined to fall for it. You should be thanking Hama-Ryu Kinnebi for a very important lesson. It's better that you experienced it here than in some element of life that actualy mattered. Don't just be angry/disapointed at him, you should feel the same way towards yourselves.

LOL, George Lucas visiting the forums. What'll you believe next?

7. Rainie

Rainie Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    I thought it was funny. I wasn't inclined to believe it, but I s'pose the ones who did deserved the apology. Which they got. So, basically, end of story. Nothign earthshattering.

:)

8. Uwanna Buyer

Uwanna Buyer Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 14, 2000
    Am I the only one that's curious what would have happened here at 8:00 PST if the hoax hadn't been acknowledged yet?

[face_mischief]

EDIT: See signature

9. JarvisW

Nov 21, 2000
    The point is that we do have SW personalities here and now when another shows up they will be flamed and laughed at till no one will come back! I just hope that Peter dosn't get any flack from this! He is a very nice guy and he really was here. That I know as fact because I heard it from his own mouth.

10. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    wedge3210: sometimes I don't know whether to agree with you or not. In some ways I will admit that I am rather disappointed, especially since it was a mod who did it.

We've had all this happening to our admins that sometimes it's hard to know who to trust.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    ?People who put their trust in moderators, the leaders of responsibility of these boards, are not gullible. We've had cast members post in the past, and will probably have them in the future. This member was VIP'ed and confirmed by board staff. His IP was supposedly relayed. If other admins wouldn't have stepped in, most of you would still be caught on the ruse.

?Harm was done. I embarrassed myself by believing what happened. I consider my making an ass of myself doesn't count as "harm done".

?It wasn't that great of a joke. Maybe if a regular member was able to pull it off, it would be. But when someone has all the tools at his disposal, and no one blows the whistle because they're all on his side, it really isn't.

?Hama-Ryu Kinnebi, you are forgiven, of course. Do I trust you? Probably not. But I doubt you care anyway.

12. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    I want to know how someone who obviously has no respect for this place, could possibly have been considered for adminship in the first place. I know you can't tell what a person is going to do but surely the people running this place would've made sure that the person being promoted had at least some common sense around these parts.

The JC is entitled to answers on this issue. And I don't even frequent this place much anymore.

13. JarvisW

Nov 21, 2000
    Good point Wedge.

My thoughts exactly Max Veers.

Let someone make sure this dosn't happen again!

14. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    Well, you sure had me fooled.

Oh well. Forgiven.

;)

15. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    No surprises there though.

16. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Good point, wedge.

If moderators don't have respect for the boards, how are we supposed to have respect for the moderators? It works both ways.

17. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    I feel like a complete and total fool. Bah.

18. Padawan Eden

Padawan Eden Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 1999
    You are forgiven Hama, but quite frankly, I really don't think you should be a mod anymore, much less a manager. You deliberatly used a position of trust to fool peole into believeing that someone they deeply liked was at the board. All of those who say bull, you should have realized that it wasn't real, why would George Lucas post here ? Well, why the hell would Peter Mayhew, Ian Mcgreggor (Possibly), RA Salvatore, Kathy Tyers and other famous star wars personalities post here ? Because we have a good board, and while I was skeptical that it was really George Lucas, a mod said he had checked the IPs and he was given VIP status. I can totally understand why most people would have had no reason NOT to believe it was.

It wasn't even a very good fake to tell you the truth. Not nearly as funny as last years chyren episode, and it wasn't even very hard to pull off. Give a fake user VIP colors and then set him up with a phony IP number, easy to pull off if your a manager. That is why I don't believe you should be a mod anymore. I don't care if you banned yourself, I don't care if you apoligized, I don't want you banned, I want you removed from your moderator position. Face it, you abused it and you shouldn't have it anymore. Preacherboy was banned from his admin position for less back in the day, you should be no different. You have given no reason why you should be trusted as a manager after this, so please, resign.

19. BelleBayard

BelleBayard TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Mar 16, 2000
    Sad to say, not unexpected. Heck, I remember someone scary trying to post as Darth Maul on a message board *and* sending private email to the site members that was pretty personal. Just be glad this was a relatively harmless (though positively juvenile) prank. I usually give folks the benefit of the doubt, but don't get too disappointed when it turns out to be yet another joke on me. *shrug* Don't sweat the little stuff. Too much big stuff out there like life and death issues. Pax.

20. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    * so sad so many want blood * *sigh* :(

21. Red-gold03

Red-gold03 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2000
    Exactly.

22. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    I don't think saying he should have his mod powers removed is "looking for blood." But don't worry, I'm sure nothing more will be done than this apology anyway.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if a regular member tries something like this...

23. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    We're looking for an explanation, not blood.

But if you want the people running this place to ignore the issue and go on like nothings happened then that's fine. The people running this place is why I don't come here as much anymore. I don't like the way it's being run at all.

And I'm sure I'm not alone.

24. Padawan Eden

Padawan Eden Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 1999
    Exactly, crap like this is exactly why I've been posting at the SC more and more. The managers here set up a bunch of rules, Don't use profanity, don't flame and don't post any material that may be objectionable to the children who may post. They set up all thses rules to curtail the childish behaviour that goes on here and then pull stunts like this. They believe that we can't act like adults and then pull immature pranks like this. Wanting Hama to resign is not being out for blood, I am not angry at him at all, this bulletin board could mean less to me, but the plain fact of the matter is that if the admins who work hard for this board and deserve respect actually want any, Hama should not be a moderator anymore.

25. Zizou

Zizou Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2001
    If he had spied on a chat room, logged it, then instigated the mass deletion of threads, maybe, just maybe, they'd consider really punishing him.

Wait, no they wouldn't.

It aint gonna happen. And they don't care if you leave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.